Skunk Problem
limitout
Posted 8/19/2008 8:50 PM (#72731)
Subject: Skunk Problem

I have a skunk problem the last few weeks. I was going to try and remove them with my pellet rifle 1500 FPS. Were is the best place to place the shot without them spraying and going right dowm???
Top of the page Bottom of the page
sworrall
Posted 8/19/2008 11:37 PM (#72733 - in reply to #72731)
Subject: Re: Skunk Problem

Take my word for it, there isn't one.
FishermanJT
Posted 8/19/2008 11:46 PM (#72734 - in reply to #72731)
Subject: RE: Skunk Problem

We catch alot of skunks trapping for coon and fox. There is nowhere you can shoot them that you're gaurenteed they won't spray. However if you shoot them in the body, hopefully hitting the lungs, i'd say 3 times out of 4 they will not spray. No gaurentees though
Posted 8/20/2008 8:18 AM (#72738 - in reply to #72734)

if they are under your porch or someplace like that then use mothballs to get rid of them works either they will leave or the fumes will kill them in their sleep have done it a couple of times works great
Dale
Posted 8/20/2008 8:28 AM (#72739 - in reply to #72731)

Send Dick Cheney in after them. They'll think he's family.
gmw guideservice
Posted 8/20/2008 9:02 AM (#72745 - in reply to #72731)

Limit out: Had a skunk problem for the last two years and took a tip from an old gentleman that has been fail safe, I trap the skunks in a live trap (haveahart) and then slowly place a blue tarp over the trap, pick the trap up and set it in my pond, this has worked 11 for 11 times for me with out the skunk releasing, previous to this it was a disaster with trying to dispatch them without releasing. The other option I have seen work is to place a thirty five gallon drum on a 45 degree angle off a picnic table with a blank leading to the drum with bacon in the bottom of the drum, the skunk goes in the barrel stands up and u add water by slowing placing a hose in the barrel. Good Luck !
westside
Posted 8/20/2008 9:27 AM (#72746 - in reply to #72731)

I was once told that urinal cakes are both attractive and fatal to skunks. Guy that told me said it was what they did at a summer camp that had too many around. Not sure if they work better before or after being used for their intended job
steve l
Posted 8/21/2008 12:16 AM (#72762 - in reply to #72746)

I have had to trap both coons and skunks for safety reasons. I dispatched the animals quick and clean. If you must kill them, at least don't torture them by slowly drowning them. Make it quick and don't bother with an air rifle. Use a centerfire.
fishn4fun
Posted 8/21/2008 7:05 AM (#72767 - in reply to #72731)

I agree with Steve, don't drown them, it's not their fault they stink. Take a shotgun and blow them to smithereens. Sweep up the pieces and give them a resting place in the woods under a big oak tree.
Juls_OH
Posted 8/22/2008 1:42 PM (#72812 - in reply to #72731)

I agree with Steve. Do not torture them. That's just inhumane. Get them in a live trap, put a quilted tarp over the cage, then saturate the tarp with Ether. It puts them to sleep....forever. Going to sleep or drowning...hmmmmm, that's an easy choice.

Juls
limitout
Posted 8/22/2008 4:04 PM (#72816 - in reply to #72731)

I was letting the dog out this morning before going to work. when I opened the door I caught site of the little bugger by the garden, thank god I was able to grab the dog before she caught site of it. By the time I was able to grab the pellet rifle it was gone. It's only going to get worse this fall. I appreciate all the info I have been getting, some good ideas. Now to put them into use.
westside
Posted 8/22/2008 4:30 PM (#72818 - in reply to #72731)

Put it to sleep with Ether? Is that something most of you guys keep around? I had always assumed it to be akin to a controlled substance. Do you use starting fluid as the source of the Ether...no skunk problems here at the moment but one never knows.
Brad B
Posted 8/22/2008 5:11 PM (#72820 - in reply to #72731)

Soak a tarp in ether??? Seriously?

You'll probably kill the skunk, but you might burn your house down with it. If you want to follow the suggestions here and not drown the thing, set up a live trap as FAR AWAY FROM YOUR HOUSE AS YOU CAN and trap it there. Then wait for the wind to be blowing towards your least favorite neighbor and shoot the little bugger.

stacker
Posted 8/22/2008 5:21 PM (#72824 - in reply to #72820)

gmw you mean dog. jeez, dont be so damn cruel hahahahahahahaha shoot them and risk letting them suffer till you can get a secound or third shot into them to die, 1 gulp of water.
Juls_OH
Posted 8/22/2008 6:09 PM (#72825 - in reply to #72818)

westside - 8/22/2008 5:30 PM

Put it to sleep with Ether? Is that something most of you guys keep around? I had always assumed it to be akin to a controlled substance. Do you use starting fluid as the source of the Ether...no skunk problems here at the moment but one never knows.

Yes, I believe it is. I got the advice from a good friend of ours who does "pest" control for a living. We HAD a skunk in the backyard too. Key word..."Had".
As for the other guy....I have to ask....who would put a live trap that's set for a skunk NEAR a house? That's just dumb.

Juls
LurePresentation
Posted 8/23/2008 7:23 AM (#72834 - in reply to #72825)

Location is always the best spot to trap. When i trapped fox and racoons, I ran leg hold set locations that produced many catches. Often skunks would be caught instead. You can dispatch the skunk by targeting the heart and lungs. This provides a quick death that doesn't cause the skunk to spray.

LP
tyee
Posted 8/23/2008 7:36 AM (#72835 - in reply to #72731)

just throw some apples out a few days in a row a couple hundred yards away from your house and gradually further the next couple days and a third time farther if you have too, and they will relocate to that area if you don't have the "heart" to kill the poor little bugger. If you can't discharge a firearm it takes about 7 minutes submerged in a garbage can coons a little longer! Were at the top of the food chain because we know these things!
Good Luck
Tyee

Edited by tyee 8/23/2008 7:39 AM
Trapper John
Posted 8/24/2008 12:44 PM (#72866 - in reply to #72731)

Juls is 100% correct in her recommendation for handeling the skunk......humane and odorless.

I trap wildlife for a living..........have professionally for the last 15 years.
I have euthanized hundreds of skunks with out spraying, it is simple and easy if you follow a couple of steps.....do it quietly and do it slowly.
once the skunk is trapped.....
1.slooooowly place a dark color tarp or blanket over the trap.
2.wait 5 minutes (this allows the animal to adjust to the dark and not be nervous.)
3.secure the tarp or blanket to the trap by alligator clips or small bungee cords
make sure that ALL of the trap is covered !
4.get a 55gallon garbage bag and open it.......slide the trap and cover into the bag...sloooowly!
5.with the trap in the bag, stand the bag and trap up (do this sloooowly too)so that open end of the bag is now facing up to the sky.
6.close all but a small portion of the bag opening (use your hands to do this)
7.Spray 1 full can of stating fluid (ether)in to the bag, right on the end of the trap that is covered facing up.
8.quickly close the bag (TIGHT) and secure it with another alligator clip.
9.let sit for 30 minutes. The skunk will be dead when you return.
10. place the dead skunk in the garbage bag and send him to the land fill.

For those of you that do not really know Juls......you will learn.......she is very seldom WRONG. She does her research.

oh yeah

11. SEND me a check or cash for my consultation fee.............I get paid for doing this for people.
Skeeter
Posted 8/24/2008 6:43 PM (#72873 - in reply to #72731)

Mother in law was having a problem with coons in her yard. I set up a trap caught a few coons THEN a skunk. I figured I would soon or later catch one in the live trap and have read what to do but darn.... didn't really want to do it. Trap was by the house and I before hand tied a long piece of rope to the handle just in case. I also had the trap enclosed with black plastic and had it taped. BUT the darn skunk had a lot of it chewed. Mother in law watched from the window. I went and found a old rug and a black plastic bag. Put the rug over it. Then opened the bag up (in the wind) and put the trap in the bag. Then put it on the front of the lawn mower and took it back to the pond. Yup, that worked and didn't even get sprayed. KNOCK on wood. Sure didn't like doing it. hahahahha Skeeter
LurePresentation
Posted 8/24/2008 11:21 PM (#72876 - in reply to #72866)

One well placed shot to the heart with a 22 shell is much cheaper and just as effective in dispatching the little critter. This eliminates cans of this and cans of that plus being right next to the danger zone while covering it.

LP
Brad B
Posted 8/25/2008 8:18 AM (#72885 - in reply to #72731)

"As for the other guy....I have to ask....who would put a live trap that's set for a skunk NEAR a house? That's just dumb."

Love you too Juls. Why was it necessary to write a post like that? Kindly point out in my post where I was rude and deserved that?
Juls_OH
Posted 8/26/2008 7:13 AM (#72925 - in reply to #72885)

Brad B - 8/25/2008 9:18 AM

"As for the other guy....I have to ask....who would put a live trap that's set for a skunk NEAR a house? That's just dumb."

Love you too Juls. Why was it necessary to write a post like that? Kindly point out in my post where I was rude and deserved that?

LOL Brian....don't take it personal. I didn't call YOU dumb, just the idea of trapping a skunk next to the house would be "dumb" When I said, "As for the other guy"...I said that, because I couldn't remember who wrote the post without having to go back and look, and well....I'm not that motivated sometimes.;)

This part of your response is what prompted that response from me.... "Soak a tarp in ether??? Seriously?....might burn down the house".

To me, that's an insinuation that my advice was dumb. But, like you, I probably read something into it that wasn't there.

If I offended you, then I apologize. That wasn't my intention.

Juls
Brad B
Posted 8/26/2008 8:19 AM (#72927 - in reply to #72731)

Brian is my brother. I'm Brad. I'm surprised you can't remember my name... Brad's are pretty cool pet's to have. Sure, we may get a little out of line from time to time, but we're trainable and house-trained. Well, mostly house-trained anyway... hahaha

No problem. Thanks for clearing that up. As for my post, I honestly didn't know if you were serious with the ether thing.
Juls_OH
Posted 8/26/2008 9:27 AM (#72929 - in reply to #72927)

Brad B - 8/26/2008 9:19 AM

Brian is my brother. I'm Brad. I'm surprised you can't remember my name... Brad's are pretty cool pet's to have. Sure, we may get a little out of line from time to time, but we're trainable and house-trained. Well, mostly house-trained anyway... hahaha

No problem. Thanks for clearing that up. As for my post, I honestly didn't know if you were serious with the ether thing.

D'Oh! Too many gray hairs, I'm afraid! I could have sworn the name on the post was Brian1765 (or is his name 1785? See, I'm just not motivated enough to even go look it up!)
Sorry about that Brad! My Bad.

Juls
westside
Posted 8/26/2008 9:49 AM (#72931 - in reply to #72731)

Ether, tarps, plastic bags, getting within inches of caged skunks. I am glad that all I have to contend with is rabbits.
smokin
Posted 8/27/2008 12:43 AM (#72963 - in reply to #72731)

To test and make sure you have enough ether in the bag. Take the cigarette your smoking and put the cherry end next to the top of bag. If it blows out a big flame you know you have added enough ether..... if nothing happens your bag has a hole in it and you have to do the process all aver again.......
limitout
Posted 9/5/2008 4:42 PM (#73190 - in reply to #72731)

I finally got the little bugger. It is in Skunk heaven now.
tyee
Posted 9/5/2008 8:43 PM (#73196 - in reply to #72731)

You Stink?

Edited by tyee 9/5/2008 8:45 PM
limitout
Posted 9/6/2008 7:41 PM (#73204 - in reply to #72731)

Reset the trap yesterday after cleaning with no bait to dry airate. Got up this morning and to my suprise another little bugger gone to skunk heaven. Let's see if we can three peat.
Jayman
Posted 9/9/2008 7:47 AM (#73248 - in reply to #72731)

Limitout, you're going to skunk hell you big meanie!!!
budsbud66
Posted 9/9/2008 9:23 AM (#73256 - in reply to #72931)

i wonder how skunk tastes?

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Bambi-Flower2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Bambi-Flower2.jpg (59KB - 182 downloads)
limitout
Posted 9/9/2008 5:53 PM (#73277 - in reply to #72731)

Got #3 last night. Had another one with it but got away.
Opie
Posted 8/6/2017 7:18 PM (#116419 - in reply to #72731)

New User

The people advising poisons should keep in mind other animals and children live in the world... even if the targeted animal dies there are any number of other animals which could and probably will be poisoned by the carcass. Drowning is a terrifying and painful death... if you have it in you, it works but if you can move the trap to drown relocating is a more humane alternative. All other options exhausted are we so cheap we won't waste a .75 cent bullet?

Edited by Opie 8/6/2017 7:22 PM