Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> USCG License

Message Subject: USCG License
Dale
Posted 8/19/2014 7:44 AM (#112498)
Subject: USCG License

A friend mentioned to me yesterday that you don't need a USCG license for the Winnebago System anymore. He also told me of a few guys guiding with a DNR permit only. What's the straight scoop on this?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Finfanatic
Posted 8/19/2014 10:50 AM (#112499 - in reply to #112498)
Subject: RE: USCG License

Not sure where that came from but that is not true. As far as I know.

walleye express
Posted 8/19/2014 10:58 AM (#112500 - in reply to #112498)

Dale.

Hope you don't mind me chiming in. As I cannot address Winebago rules. But I know they've loosened the Home Land Security rules and regulations the last 3 years from the 9-11 panic that took hold. No more TWIC cards and a better understanding of what true Terrorists threats mean concerning true Navigational Waterways.
Fish Hound
Posted 8/19/2014 5:10 PM (#112503 - in reply to #112498)
Subject: Re: USCG License

Not true, TWIC enrollment is still required for issuance of new credentials. With the renewal of existing credentials you must provide a letter explaining why it's not required, easier to just renew in my opinion. It's explained here:

http://www.explorersguidellc.com/blog/2013/11/27/rumor-that-mariner...

As far as removing the Winnebago System from the requirement, I'd like to see that in an official release somewhere as it's still on the USCG Ninth District Federally Navigable Waters list.

Edited by Fish Hound 8/19/2014 5:25 PM
walleye express
Posted 8/19/2014 5:38 PM (#112504 - in reply to #112503)

That could be true. Our Charter Boat organization MCBA simply told us it was no longer neccessary to our members and was told they discontinued it. I just ass-sumed it applied for everyone.

Edited by walleye express 8/19/2014 5:44 PM
walleye express
Posted 8/19/2014 10:18 PM (#112506 - in reply to #112504)

Checked my facts. TWIC cards are still required for first time Captains to get finger prints and other official information.

Edited by walleye express 8/19/2014 10:19 PM
Dale
Posted 8/20/2014 7:12 AM (#112507 - in reply to #112498)

I understand what fish hound is saying. It just seems absurd that the USCG controls the lake but they have no presence here. Maybe during EAA but otherwise we don't see them. They closed their station in Menasha in the early 70's sometime. I've been operating a boat on Winnebago since 1962 and fished it since a kid with my dad before that. What's a course going to teach me that I don't already know? I've already had CPR and first aid. I've had practical experience as well as USN experience. Oh well.
walleye express
Posted 8/20/2014 2:29 PM (#112510 - in reply to #112507)

Dale.

You will not use 10% of anything the CG license course or test teaches you. Probably less then that if you never fish the broader Great Lakes or it's connecting waterways. I remember my first day in class some 28 years ago. I seriously thought I had enrolled in the wrong class. It sounded to me like I had enrolled in a Captains course to pilot Ocean Liners or Edmund Fitzgerald type ships. Very little information, skill sets or anything a person would use or see while fishing on smaller bodies of water. Plotting a course and rules of the road had a few things I could learn and use, but that's it.

Edited by walleye express 8/20/2014 2:31 PM
Finfanatic
Posted 8/27/2014 3:10 PM (#112522 - in reply to #112498)

Dale, I have seen the USCG on Bago several times. This year at least once in June, and last year they were sitting in High Cliff State park checking boats as they came into the marina, that was around the 4th f July.

Mark Komo
Posted 8/29/2014 12:25 AM (#112527 - in reply to #112498)

When I renewed, the TWIC was the way to go. Seems to provide the necessary background/fingerprinting, etc.

In terms of USCG regs, its about understanding whats needed and how to apply. Sure, there's a lot you wont use on Bago, but its knowledge you still need to retain and understand. Like right of way for sailboats and down stream non power trumps upstream under power on rivers. (this drive the poleliners and trollers nuts, since your a downstream jigger and have the right of way).

TWIC cards weren't required for me first time time through. Upon renewal, it was suggested to complete. So I did. Smooth as silk.
STINGER(WI)
Posted 9/7/2014 5:10 PM (#112574 - in reply to #112498)

Dale,

Your friend is incorrect is his statement. You must be USCG licensed and possess a valid Twix card to fish the Bago system. This body of water is considered a Federal water way and that is why you need these items.

The Coast Guard does patrol this system and will check your boat and ask for your credentials. In the event someone wants to try to guide without license WILL pay a very hefty fine. I am very happy to see them cracking down on the people who do not have the proper credentials.

Have yourself an awesome day and good luck on the water!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Lund Boats

(Delete all cookies set by this site)