Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Walleye Spawning Q & A.

Message Subject: Walleye Spawning Q & A.
walleye express
Posted 3/29/2015 9:42 AM (#113002)
Subject: Walleye Spawning Q & A.

I know the calibur and wisdom of the fishermen on this board is a cut above the average guy. But I answered some walleye spawning questions on another board that might help a few average Joes checking this board from time to time.

SPAWN THEORY VS REALITY

Hi, I do alot of research and for every season I do a quick brush up in theory where walleye should be and when it should happen. This year as I ready for spring this has popped into my head. So my question is for the people that have the spawn really dialed in. I fish alot of small to mediun sized lakes that are stocked and vary from low to high fertiliy most have a main inlet and outlet to some degree. First Part: Do walleye that are stocked have the instinct to spawn? Second Part: Walleye are supposed to have strong homing instincts would this lead them to where they were stocked or to find the proper structure? Third Part: Most classic theory suggests that most walleyes will head up stream to spawn, What about the outlets or main lake stucture, is this determined be the homeing instinct or the fish just picking a good area? Thanks for any replys,

Russell

Russell, Capt. Dan here. I'll try to answer your questions in order.

Q: First Part: Do walleye that are stocked have the instinct to spawn?

A: They absolutely do. They are artificially hatched, fed and briefly raised in closed conditions, but not sterilized. So their physical biological change along with the spawning instinct will be there when the seasons and conditions are right.

Q: Second Part: Walleye are supposed to have strong homing instincts would this lead them to where they were stocked or to find the proper structure?

A: Although not scientifically proven, I've often held with the theory that like Salmon, walleye can also acquire and olfactory imprint their spawning rivers taste, and return to those same natal rivers themselves to spawn. Finding that perfect, exact same spot with proper bottom strata or structure elements year after year, seems less important to broadcast spawners like walleye once their eggs and the spawning conditions are right. But they will most generally gravitate to these strata likely areas for best spawning results IMO. Studies have shown that the tendency to spawn in rivers or on rock reefs is a heritable trait meaning that it's genetic.

Q: Third Part: Most classic theory suggests that most walleyes will head up stream to spawn, What about the outlets or main lake structure, is this determined be the homing instinct or the fish just picking a good area? Thanks for any reply's,

A: Walleye generally will not run (down rivers) to spawn (like in an outlet). I've personally held to the theory that there are indeed two types/sub-species of walleye spawners. River and open water/reef spawners. And I'm not sure if one can easily be converted to the other. Our DNR has a study going on right now to measure how much reef spawning we have left in Saginaw Bay. When checked last in the mid 1990s it was just trace levels. They're looking again now because the DNR quit planting river brood altogether, went to all natural reproduction and hold out hope some reef spawners have recovered. How, why or what dictates this scientific specie separation in spawning urges is still to be studied more for a defined answers.

My final suggestion to you Russell, would be to Stay both interested and involved in as many ways to this science as you can. All of it will enrich your experience, enjoyment and understanding of the ecosystem walleyes live in. And if you ever get the chance to voluteer and help your DNR in any of the planting/raising/egg taking processes, do it. I have helped raise, plant and electro shock spawners for egg taking a few times over the years. The knowledge gained from the fish, the personell and the experience itself, helped me determine many things about the What's, Where's and Why's to fish for and catch walleyes. Capt. Dan.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GNWC Rookie
Posted 3/30/2015 7:39 AM (#113006 - in reply to #113002)
Subject: RE: Walleye Spawning Q & A.

One of the misconceptions we see here on the Mississippi is people thinking that water temperature is the end all be all of spawning. Three years ago, we had record highs all march long, and when the females finally started dropping their eggs, we had water temperatures in the 60's.

Yes, higher water temperatures do draw fish into more predictable spawning areas, but I firmly believe that there is a gestation period for those eggs that can't be pushed ahead weeks/months early. Around my area it seems to happen between April 10th to 20th pretty much every year, regardless of the water temps leading up to that time frame. This Saturday, I caught an 18" male that was milting, and an 18 female who's stomache was still as hard as a rock. That leads me to believe that fish had a few weeks to go, and that the males can milt several times over this period.

Just my thoughts.
walleye express
Posted 3/30/2015 9:01 AM (#113007 - in reply to #113006)
Subject: RE: Walleye Spawning Q & A.

GNWC Rookie - 3/30/2015 8:39 AM

One of the misconceptions we see here on the Mississippi is people thinking that water temperature is the end all be all of spawning. Three years ago, we had record highs all march long, and when the females finally started dropping their eggs, we had water temperatures in the 60's.

This Saturday, I caught an 18" male that was milting, and an 18 female who's stomache was still as hard as a rock. That leads me to believe that fish had a few weeks to go, and that the males can milt several times over this period.

Just my thoughts.

Your thoughts are sound. One of the things Mother Nature seems to do to protect all her species of fish, is separate and spread out at least a portion of the migration time-table. (I.E.) Early Spring and Late Spring spawners. With each fish of the same specie not having exactly the same migration urges or gestation time cycle, that keeps them and their spawn protected to some degree from a natural or man-made disasters. And why one female will be squirting eggs near her spawning grounds, while another is still out in the Lake/Bay or far down stream just starting her spawning regiment. This is how biologists raised the Summer Steelhead strain, by continually taking eggs from late spawners.

Edited by walleye express 3/30/2015 9:12 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Just Encase

(Delete all cookies set by this site)