Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> Walleye Boats and Motors -> Minnkota EM Vs. Kicker moter ?

Message Subject: Minnkota EM Vs. Kicker moter ?
superscoop
Posted 3/25/2013 5:15 AM (#109511)
Subject: Minnkota EM Vs. Kicker moter ?

Hey fellas, I was wondering if a Minnkota EM 80lb would take the place of a 9.9 kicker on a 19ft. Lund? Anyone have any experience with the Minnkota? I would be using it to troll cranks/harnesses. Any input would be great. TY
Top of the page Bottom of the page
KHedquist
Posted 3/25/2013 5:32 AM (#109512 - in reply to #109511)
Subject: Re: Minnkota EM Vs. Kicker moter ?

If you plan on trolling in conditions less than perfect a 24v will be tapped out pretty early, a kicker will go and go and go plus the added thrust for those days that are less than perfect.
superscoop
Posted 3/25/2013 10:05 AM (#109516 - in reply to #109512)

Thanks for the reply Kirt. That's what I kind of figured.
Shep
Posted 3/27/2013 3:51 PM (#109543 - in reply to #109516)

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you Kirt. If you are in bad conditions, it's likely due to the wind, and you will likely be trolling with the wind.

When you have the wind behind you pulling harnesses, you're probably having trouble going slow enough. The EM, whether 24V or 236V is perfect to control your speed. Put it in reverse, and you can fine tune your speed easily. Way better than drift socks, and impossible to do with the kicker.

Pulling harnesses is about a wash, but I would recommend the 36V model for extra run time out of your batteries.

I'd rather use the kicker for cranks, but the EM can't be beat for pulling meat!

Edited by Shep 3/27/2013 3:53 PM
Jim Ordway
Posted 4/3/2013 7:31 AM (#109647 - in reply to #109543)

If it is either or, go kicker. Go with the Ipilot bow mount for you harnesses if worming is important to you.
The EM is good for harnesses and calm weather, but because of he mounting location, it is seldom in the water in rough seas. I had one on my old boat but did not put one on the new one.
Take care,
Jim O
rng20
Posted 4/6/2013 9:46 AM (#109694 - in reply to #109511)

I use to own a 101lb em and at certain times it did come in handy. If you have a good bow mount I would not reccommend buying an em I would stick with the kicker..In calm conditions you will get more power for pulling cranks all day with a kicker and on the other side of things in calm conditions you will love the em for pulling harnesses. like the previous post said about fishing in rough conditions and putting it in reverse that is a great option to have but is it worth the money..If i bought a new boat and it had one on it I definately wouldnt take it off but with the technology of the newer bow mounts I couldnt see spending the money on an em..hope this helps you make a decision
Rod Holder
Posted 9/25/2013 8:13 AM (#110856 - in reply to #109511)

I'm surprised no one has commented about an additional factor. Seems to me that a kicker makes a much better "get back" engine than an electric trolling motor if you experience a problem with your main engine. This becomes far more important if you fish the great lakes, like Michigan or Erie, and you could be ten miles out when your main engine decides it doesn't want to start. Using a kicker you can come back in at about 5-6 mph which an electric won't do.
Mark Komo
Posted 11/3/2013 3:46 PM (#110956 - in reply to #109511)

Good point. The kicker will get you home, although late.
kindakatchi
Posted 8/18/2014 6:27 PM (#112496 - in reply to #110956)

Bluntly speaking An EM is a buyers remorse,better off with a 101 terrova! Good luck
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Lund Boats

(Delete all cookies set by this site)