Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> Walleye Tackle and Equipment -> Okuma Coldwater 153 paired with Okuma Deadeye telescoping rod

Message Subject: Okuma Coldwater 153 paired with Okuma Deadeye telescoping rod
Fishfinder 87
Posted 12/5/2014 11:30 AM (#112772)
Subject: Okuma Coldwater 153 paired with Okuma Deadeye telescoping rod

New User

Looking to get the old man some trolling gear so he can stop using his 15 year old spinning gear for trolling.. I am more in the musky crowd, but he does mostly walleye fishing and I am not too familiar with what the walleye guys are using. Baitshop sold me on an Okuma Coldwater 153 paired with a telescoping Okuma Deadeye rod, spooled with 10lb Trilene for 150 out the door.. I'm thinking we can get him a combo like this for Xmas, father's day, and his Bday, and he will have a nice set of 6 rods within a couple years. Is this a decent combo for the money? He doesn't fish a whole lot, but want him to have better gear than he is currently using.. A tekota and St Croix rod is out of the budget I think.. but I also don't want to have junk in a few years.. Any comments or opinions on this gear specifically? Did I do ok? Thanks.

Edited by Fishfinder 87 12/5/2014 11:31 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
sworrall
Posted 12/7/2014 7:29 PM (#112776 - in reply to #112772)
Subject: Re: Okuma Coldwater 153 paired with Okuma Deadeye telescoping rod

It's a great combo for sure.
Fishfinder 87
Posted 12/9/2014 1:19 PM (#112779 - in reply to #112776)

New User

Thanks Steve.. Any other comments on it? I see they make a 203 that is the same diameter, just a wider spool..you think the 153 is plenty big enough for most walleye trolling though?
FishnFool
Posted 12/13/2014 10:38 AM (#112785 - in reply to #112779)

bought 2 to try and was not happy with them had a pair look nice and when new they worked real well then the drag started to act funny when you released it to let line out the handle would spin so the release mech must not have released like it was supposed to. the drags were not as smooth. I tried them for about 2 solid weeks. I went back to my diawa sealines I would look at the accudepths from diawa they used to suck but since they made a harder drag they work pretty good and if you can find some perrigrine poles they are real good rods pretty cheap I find them to work real well and I've got 3 poles and they have been with me for 7 yrs My real favorite is the Bass Pro 7'6" I've been using them for 15 yrs and have never had a problem
sworrall
Posted 3/18/2015 11:48 AM (#112944 - in reply to #112779)

The 153 is fine for 'eyes, and we have not seen any issues with the reels or rods.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Vibrations Tackle

(Delete all cookies set by this site)