Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Regional Walleye Fishing -> Wolf River Walleyes -> Poygan and Winneconne bite

Message Subject: Poygan and Winneconne bite
jerry
Posted 4/24/2012 9:06 AM (#103886)
Subject: Poygan and Winneconne bite

My son and I participated in the first SWC event Sunday out of Fort Fremont. The bite on Poygan and Winneconne is starting. I think we just need some warmer weather to warm up the water. Temps were 48 at the start and around 51 at 1 pm. We ended up with three eyes and a few pike. My understanding is the winners were trolling in the lake but I can't confirm that. I was also told the same thing for Saturday's Fort Fremont Classic. Our two best walleyes were caught on a #5 green holographic shad rap and our third one came on an orange #5 shad rap. Good luck if you go!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BD
Posted 5/11/2012 2:09 PM (#104213 - in reply to #103886)
Subject: RE: Poygan and Winneconne bite

I was out with two buddies last Saturday. We struck out on harnesses near the old Duck Inn, which had been hot, then headed to Winneconne where we picked up twenty eyes (fifteen eaters and five smaller ones). We also picked up a nice sized catfish and a couple of huge white bass.
With the water level up, the Wolf River near New London is full of big white bass.

Edited by BD 5/11/2012 2:11 PM
BD
Posted 5/15/2012 5:19 PM (#104256 - in reply to #104213)

Yesterday a buddy and I fished the New London area for white bass and picked up fifty plus, many 14 to 16 inches in length. The bite was slow to fair when we started at 4:00 pm and really turned on as the sun dropped lower in the sky. It peaked about a half hour before sunset when the fish started concentrating in the shallows chasing minnows.
Viking
Posted 5/28/2012 9:55 AM (#104435 - in reply to #104256)

Trolled Winneconne w/ Avg Joe yesterday. We got 8 eyes, 8 keeper crappies (and many small ones), 2 northerns, a muskie, countless whitebass and sheeps. Flicker Shad out-performed Salmos and the Hollywood Flickershad was the best producer of eyes. I wish they would make them again.
Helper
Posted 5/28/2012 6:10 PM (#104439 - in reply to #104435)

Bass pro shops exclusive color (Hollywod)
Mr. Darboy
Posted 4/29/2013 10:37 AM (#109979 - in reply to #103886)

Anything going on the lakes yet? Should start soon with the warmup we've seen the last few days. Planning to head out on Wednesday, hoping to troll instead of jig......
Viking
Posted 4/29/2013 11:05 AM (#109980 - in reply to #109979)

According to the WalleyeFirst coverage of the MWS, the guys that won were trolling cranks. It should keep getting better.
Mr. Darboy
Posted 5/2/2013 2:26 PM (#110011 - in reply to #109980)

Gave it a go yesterday, only 2 eyes to show for it. Water was warm enough, just not enough eyes down yet I don't think. We spent the day trolling. Caught 6 different species, but not enough of the kind we were after. It should only get better.
wannagopro
Posted 5/2/2013 8:57 PM (#110014 - in reply to #110011)
Subject: Re: Poygan and Winneconne bite

was out 5/1 with the Father In Law, caught a variety, but did find a good school of bigger walleyes not far from Winneconne trolling Salmos 20' back.
Viking
Posted 5/4/2013 12:55 PM (#110025 - in reply to #110014)

Any updates? Probably heading that way Sunday morning.
Viking
Posted 5/5/2013 1:54 PM (#110035 - in reply to #110025)

I trolled Winneconne this morning; 1 big pike, 50 whites, and more sheephead, but no eyes.
jerry
Posted 5/6/2013 6:30 AM (#110038 - in reply to #103886)

We hit the river Friday and had fish from the mouth all the way to Winneconne. We were hovering for the most part as the fish didn't seem aggressive. I heard the bite on Poygan is starting to pick up, but I can't confirm it since we never made it out there!!
Viking
Posted 5/6/2013 1:24 PM (#110043 - in reply to #110038)

I want to believe there were walleyes in Winneconne yesterday; they just weren't as aggressive as the white bass and I couldn't figure out how offer a presentation that the whities wouldn't get to first. Cranks high or low = whities. Cranks fast or slow = whities. Change color = more whities. Harnesses got fewer whities but more sheephead and no eyes.

jerry,
care to explain what you meant when you said you were 'hovering'? that might help me figure out how to offer something only the eyes want.
gilman911
Posted 5/6/2013 2:25 PM (#110044 - in reply to #110043)

I trolled Poygan for the 2nd Saturday in a row May 4. Shad Raps, Flicker Shads and Salmos all failed me. I did manage 3 eyes this past Saturday, all on the discontinued Nils Master baits. Don't know if that is a pattern or not but I will start out with 4 of 6 lines with Nils Master next time out. Less than one fish per hour (actually, with my dad along, less than 1 per 2 man hours) so it could well be just chance. 1.5 mph in the hole. Tried in shallower without any luck. Water temp started out at 48 and ended at 54.
jerry
Posted 5/7/2013 8:02 AM (#110054 - in reply to #103886)

Viking,

When we fished the Winneconne area Friday we were using 1/4 oz jigs with half a crawler. I ran the bowmount into the current and slipped down river. We were going way slower than anyone else and we caught more walleyes, from what I could tell, than anyone else. Others who were there were pulling flies into the current and drifting with the current at current speed. In talking to various guys on the river that were hammering lots of fish and some big ones a few days earlier, but Friday none of them had walleyes. Given the colder air and water temps that day it seemed to matter how fast, or in this case, how slow you went.

Edited by jerry 5/7/2013 8:04 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)