Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Bringing Fish Home From Canada

Message Subject: Bringing Fish Home From Canada
Sam Ubl
Posted 4/2/2014 12:06 PM (#111570)
Subject: Bringing Fish Home From Canada

I am planning a trip to Kenora, LOTW, in late July and purchased the non-resident "Temporary Outdoors Card - Fishing", which is good until 12/31/2016. I also purchased the "Sports Fishing License - 8 Day" for the dates I'll be in Canada, instead of the "Conservation Fishing License - 8 Day".

I did so because I want to take walleye, and potentially trout, back into the US with me after the trip.

Can anyone tell me how many of each specie is permissible to take across the border when crossing back into the US with the license I purchased? Also, is it "by fish count" or "by filet count"? Lastly, I hear you must leave skin on the filet so the specie is distinguishable, as well as entire length of filet so measurement can be easily observed as meeting the minimum length requirements.

Anyone with any detail to expand on anything I mentioned above, or who can correct anything I said that's wrong, is surely appreciated and feedback welcome. Also, please provide some advise, such as if it's worth my while to freeze filets flat without bending and overlapping in case they need to be observed and measured at the border...

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
sworrall
Posted 4/2/2014 12:49 PM (#111571 - in reply to #111570)
Subject: RE: Bringing Fish Home From Canada

Last time I was up we were allowed 4 walleyes per person and 4 pike per person, check the regs for the area you are visiting. Slot limits applied, be careful to make sure you watch that for the waters you are going to fish. I used fillet the fish and leave the skin on, place them face-to face- in plastic, seal up well, and repackage removing the skin when we arrive home. These days we have plenty of opportunity here to put fish in the freezer, so I don't bring any home.
Shep
Posted 4/8/2014 9:51 AM (#111602 - in reply to #111571)

Daily = 2, Possesion = 4; only 1 greater than 46 cm (18.1 in.) on Walleye/Sauger

Pike is 4, but none over 29.5"

Here's the link to the regs. You will be Zone 5. Page 22

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/do...

IMO, 2 walleyes are not worth nearly double to cost of the Conservation License.

Also, I see they have a boater exam you need to take now?
From the second page of the regs.

If you drive a powered watercraft in Canada, federal law requires you to have a Pleasure Craft Operator card.
JayM
Posted 4/16/2014 8:59 PM (#111642 - in reply to #111602)

Daily and possession limit are the same. 4 walleyes on a sportsman license or 2 on a conservation license. Two lake trout, 50 perch. You can bring one day's limit of each species back over the border.

Non-resident boating regs. are here: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-quick-quick_visitor-1... . If taking your boat and not in Canada more than 45 consecutive days, both the operator competency requirements and safety equipment requirements of your home state apply. If operating a boat registered in Canada, including a rental, the rental agreement and the required briefing by the outfitter cover you, or your covered if you have taken the boating safety course and passed the exam of your home state.

If you transport fish in Ontario or bring some across the border, you must leave a skin patch of at least 1 sq. inch. If you freeze them in camp to bring home, be sure to freeze one fish (two fillets) per package and freeze them flat so a conservation officer can easily see how many and what kind is in the package.

After 36 yrs. and 50+ trips to NW Ontario I still eat fish every evening I'm there, but a long time ago we gave up fretting about bringing any home. Have a great trip.
dougj
Posted 4/18/2014 3:34 PM (#111656 - in reply to #111642)

New User

Shep has the walleye/sauger limits correct. On the LOTWs you can only have two/day with one over 18.1". If you have the sportsman (full) license then the possession limit is four with only one over 18.1". Read the regulations carefully there are lots of special rules for the LOTWs.

You are a long way from any lake trout water in the Kenora area. Closest water that you can actually keep any would be Whitefish Bay.

Good luck, the LOTWs is a great place.

Doug Johnson
JayM
Posted 4/19/2014 9:22 AM (#111662 - in reply to #111656)

My error, Doug, and I stand corrected. I missed a page of the Lake of the Woods fine print.

Jay M.

dougj - 4/18/2014 3:34 PM

Shep has the walleye/sauger limits correct. On the LOTWs you can only have two/day with one over 18.1". If you have the sportsman (full) license then the possession limit is four with only one over 18.1". Read the regulations carefully there are lots of special rules for the LOTWs.

You are a long way from any lake trout water in the Kenora area. Closest water that you can actually keep any would be Whitefish Bay.

Good luck, the LOTWs is a great place.

Doug Johnson
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)