Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> Walleye Boats and Motors -> Re-painting a boat

Message Subject: Re-painting a boat
Sioux2211
Posted 11/28/2014 11:45 AM (#112750)
Subject: Re-painting a boat

New User

Has anybody every stripped and re-painted a boat on their own? Thinking about trying it and was wondering what steps you had to take. I know I'm more than capable of doing it, just never done anything like that on a boat. Special paint, how long it took, etc. would all be helpful! Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
sworrall
Posted 11/28/2014 8:51 PM (#112751 - in reply to #112750)
Subject: Re: Re-painting a boat

Aluminum isn't real tough. Fiberglass requires a special paint.
Sioux2211
Posted 11/29/2014 12:03 AM (#112752 - in reply to #112751)

New User

It's an aluminum hull. Is it just a clear coat over the base color?
Ches.
Posted 3/5/2015 12:12 PM (#112911 - in reply to #112750)

Very easy to paint Aluminum if you have ever spayed with a gun. I did my boat 10 years ago and still looks like new. Stripped it with Aircraft stripper from auto parts store. You need less than 1 gal for an 17' boat. I just brushed it on and prior to me hitting it with a hose, it was falling right off. Took me 2-3 hours to strip outside of boat. For paint I used an etching primer, water like yellow stuff, then a sandable primer followed by a base coat then clear coat of automotive paint. I do most of my painting in the early spring, it's cool and dry. I do it in the back yard, slight breeze helps from getting overspray, and I don't have to cover the ground. Later in year you would get bugs, not good. Hardest part was the taping. I taped and did all the painting in 8-9 hours. It's not cheap, think I paid about $600 for all the supplies. Cost of paint varies by brand and color. Good luck.
Ches.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)