Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Regional Walleye Fishing -> Wolf River Walleyes -> Ice Out Countdown 2015

Message Subject: Ice Out Countdown 2015
stacker
Posted 2/28/2015 8:04 AM (#112906)
Subject: Ice Out Countdown 2015

We have been doing this since 2012 and the dates for ice out from Fremont down are listed on the threads below. What are your guess' for this year? I went for a drive and here is what I seen. The snowmobile trail is alive at Fremont, Gills landing and New London. There are shacks in New London, more than I have ever seen. There was a ice tourney a couple weeks ago and they caught some nice females. I do know that the water is up from other years and there are open water spots along the long trip from New London to Fremont. The Waupaca river ice is high so there is water and a good current there allready. We need warm sunlight to start this melt.

My guess is when she decides to go, it will go quickly. Thus, I say by March 26th we will have ice out. Time to get the boats ready boys.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stacker
Posted 3/6/2015 7:42 AM (#112912 - in reply to #112906)
Subject: RE: Ice Out Countdown 2015

Took a look at the river from Shiocton to Chicos over the last few days. All I have to report today, is I will report back next week after we get warming temps and run off.

Have a great weekend!!
Shep
Posted 3/9/2015 9:02 AM (#112924 - in reply to #112906)
Subject: Re: Ice Out Countdown 2015

Oh sure, easy for you to say!
stacker
Posted 3/14/2015 9:53 AM (#112930 - in reply to #112924)

Today the Waupaca river opened up. Local lore says that when the Waupaca opens it will be 10 days till the wolf opens.

The wolf at Gills landing has a small stretch open from the Waupaca down past the last launch ramp about 15 yards wide. It is a start.

Fremont has the same 15 yard stretch open along the docks. The river from there down is tight.

There is no current. All the melting seems to be from the top down.

As things change I will let you know.
stacker
Posted 3/16/2015 10:43 AM (#112934 - in reply to #112930)

Hi Everyone
Here is a ice report from 3-16-15

CHICOS in Orihula. Ice jammed up from Fort Fremont to Chicos and around bend. Big sheets of shoreline ice from there up.

FREMONT, Shore line sheets from new bridge up. You can launch a boat but ice jammed from Wolf River cottages up past hook.

RED BANKS, ice jam from there down as far as I can see. open above.

GILLS LANDING, you can launch a boat but jammed at corner and huge shore line sheet still in place. The tressel up is iced in.

We need water flow as the current is minimal. Maybe by the weekend the flows will pass. I will try to do recon on Thursday to let you know.

Please visit the Chamber members in Fremont when you are in town. We appreciate your business.
stacker
Posted 3/17/2015 1:29 PM (#112940 - in reply to #112934)

The wind is destroying the ice. Will be fun to see what is open Wednesday. Gills shoreline chuck is gone and the tressel let loose. The weekend should pose risks but fishable for sure.
stacker
Posted 3/19/2015 12:46 PM (#112948 - in reply to #112940)

March 19th ICE OUT

Had many reports from up and down the river today. The ice is clear from Gills to the mouth. There are still bergs coming down the river and may cause some jams, but all in all the shorelines are ice free.

CAUTION: Many chunks may just be under the surface so running fast is not recommended. Keep your eyes open.

Water temp today 31.6
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)