Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> Walleye Tackle and Equipment -> Leaders, whats best ?

Message Subject: Leaders, whats best ?
hozeman
Posted 5/10/2015 5:29 PM (#113142)
Subject: Leaders, whats best ?

New User

I am just looking for opinions and advice about targeting eyes in waters where pike are always present. I hate fish swimming away with my Rapalas ,jigs and the like. Some of my local waters have an overabundance of small pike . I usually fish with 8 to 12 pound mono. I have gotten away from wire leaders by making my own using flourocarbon, berkley biggame or trilene XT in 17 to 25 lb. test. I started catching more eyes when I quit using wire , but I still lose a few lures every year due to pike inhaling the lure and its teeth contacting the leader. Big pike and sometimes muskies are always a possibility also. I fish mostly out of a 16 ft. tiller boat on small lakes and reservoirs. It is not unusual to catch 8 or more 20 inch pike to every walleye.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Posted 5/11/2015 8:50 AM (#113143 - in reply to #113142)
Subject: RE: Leaders, whats best ?

I would stick with the steel leaders they do not effect the catch rate of eyes I use a tungsten wire leader its real thin the reason is all the zebra 's cut the line when fishing over reefs steel is not effected by them
sworrall
Posted 5/11/2015 9:06 AM (#113144 - in reply to #113142)
Subject: Re: Leaders, whats best ?

I use Berkley Fluorocarbon 25# with pretty good success.
Mark Komo
Posted 5/11/2015 2:39 PM (#113147 - in reply to #113142)

What about a 25#firelne leader? I bet that might work.
Ches.
Posted 5/15/2015 7:49 AM (#113155 - in reply to #113142)
Subject: RE: Leaders, whats best ?

Tieable Titanium leaders in the 15-30 lb size is good stuff. I have always gotten the stuff from BPS that sells for about $25/ 20 ' in the 30# size. I see they have some new stuff that goes down to 15# (15' for $10) that I might try next. I use only costlock snaps when I tie them up. Very thin material and it does not kink like 7 strand.

Ches.
Ches.
Posted 5/15/2015 8:09 AM (#113156 - in reply to #113142)

OK, not enough coffee this morning. The stuff I am using is the Terminator brand from BPS 20#/25'/$21. The other stuff that I want to try is called Knot2Kinkki (sp) and is 15#/15'/$11. I tend to use a very small barrel swivel (size 14) and not a ball bearing one due to size, but that's just me.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)