Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Paying it Forward.

Message Subject: Paying it Forward.
walleye express
Posted 6/13/2017 11:18 AM (#116390)
Subject: Paying it Forward.

I recently had a couple of my fishing boards users post and thank me for the fish catching information I share with everyone on our board. I'm always grateful and humbled by this, as most fishermen in general (as we all know) are already the best and know everything about catching fish. This particular post jarred my memory and spawned yet another post by me that explains my own fishing character and just where it came from. For those with young children getting near that tag along age, this post, approach and particular story might serve you and your fishing kids well.

I thank my Dad for my fishing character. Dad worked 5 days a week at Bay City Chevy. But prior to the weekends or his scheduled vacations or holidays before our trips afield, He would always ease my young impatient tensions by quizzing me with relative questions prior to these many, many fishing and hunting trips. Things about the expected water levels, the air and water temperature, the particular preferred spawning and/or living cycles of both the fish or game we were going after, the kind of day predicted, windy/still/cloudy/clear and their possible effects on the woods we were hunting or the water we were fishing. And how it might all effect our scheduled trip and its success.

I was always the willing student, soon helping Dad in small ways with either the equipment to prepare, or mentally decide where to hunt or fish and what to fish for before trips. Often changing our targeted specie plans or simply canceling some trips the mornings of, if things didn't look productive for either. Many times Rabbits to ice fishing perch, spearing pike, or vs-versa if one condition looked better then the other. You may remember me writing/saying that many times I'd drive all the way to the Tittabawassee River, look at the water clarity, turn around and hit the Saginaw River or simply go home. You simply learn what to expect from certain locations, conditions and your experiences there, after so many trips in all the varied conditions you've hunted or fished in while there. Dad taught me early on, that neither the fish nor lady luck (in Her small but often vital role) had it out for me, but that most of it was connected in many ways to the fishes moods and to a lesser degree, our chosen fishing spots given all those conclusions.

Those lessons and those Pre-fishing strategies became part of my life long considerations for virtually all of my trips afield and have always served me well. Of course ones available leisure time, the learned skills to properly find, rig and catch your chosen prey fish, along with the money to do so, is always a consideration. So too the practiced reliability to accurately find, shoot and humanely harvest legal game, is another hurdle to this equation. But all of it develops in each person an outdoor understanding and character that should serve you well.

Edited by walleye express 6/13/2017 11:20 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)