Things I would change, year in review on the 1890
KHedquist
Posted 11/25/2007 5:49 AM (#63441)
Subject: Things I would change, year in review on the 1890

After owning my 1890 for a year I must say I am very happy with it, I came from a tin boat and the ride and dryness is in another league, I have only been in one other glass boat from a popular manufacture and I thought the 1890 was smoother and faster.

Fit and finish is very good, easy to rig, get lotsa complements on it.

The factory stepped up and found a fix for slight handling quirk under certain conditions, and the problem is resolved, and took care of mine promptly.

I am a engineer by trade so I am always looking at ways of improving things, here are in MY opinion what I would add or change to make a great boat better.

1- Add storage shelves under consoles.

2-Add air ride pedastals and seat sliders

3-Floor drains in the rear corner of cockpit area

4-Interior lighting from the factory or as aoption

5-Smaller livewell door

6-Rod locker change the design of what hold the handles in place.

7-LED lights on trailer.

8-Flush mount controls

9-Dedicated fuel pick up for kicker

10-Dedicated livewell drain and pump out an divide

11-If there optional hull gel coat stripes make it known.

So sounds like alot, but the above do not put a damper on the fishability of the boat, it tracks nice when trolling, extremely stable at rest, you can stand on the gunnels and it hardly leans.

So I would but another in a heart beat.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
lambeau
Posted 11/25/2007 9:05 PM (#63447 - in reply to #63441)
Subject: RE: year in review on the 1890

i love mine as well...and with a surprise pay raise (with a year of back pay) last week, i think i might be able to swing both the cost of daycare and keeping the boat. needless to say, i'm verrrry happy about that news! if mine sells this winter, i'm getting right back into another one.

1- Add storage shelves under consoles.

maybe as an option. it's definitely not something i'd want standard. frankly, i couldn't think of anything to store there because there's SO much storage already in this boat. i'd prefer the space left open for installing a marine band radio, etc.

2-Add air ride pedestals and seat sliders

if you want these, they're easy to buy and install yourself. making them standard just drives the cost of the boat higher.

3-Floor drains in the rear corner of cockpit area

this is right on, great suggestion on a small thing that matters.
the boat is never perfectly level on the trailer, nor the trailer parked on perfectly level ground; this means water in the cockpit tends to head for the corners. i actually intend to add them myself this off-season, an easy thing to do myself and very inexpensive. i'd suggest the front corners as well, since the cockpit floor is canted slightly forward when the boat's on the trailer.

4-Interior lighting from the factory or as an option

again, easy to do yourself, especially with the way the gunnel cap is designed to hang over. that is if you've got a gunnel cap! i intend to do add interior lights as an off-season project this year: probably a rope light all the way around the boat inside the gunnel cap as well as a couple small area LEDs in the cockpit.

5-Smaller livewell door

why in the world would you want the door to be smaller?
walleye guys...sheesh...

6-Rod locker change the design of what hold the handles in place.

change it to what? i really like the ability to slide the handle grips back and forth since my muskie reels are big and i like to load the rods carefully to keep the reels from scratching against each other. anything with an immovable rest would not be a good option for me.

7-LED lights on trailer.

that'd be nice, at least as an option. again, it's another easy do-it-yourself project.

8-Flush mount controls

sure, i guess. no big deal to me either way.

9-Dedicated fuel pick up for kicker

what do you mean by "dedicated"? something with a pump in the boat instead of the pressure ball? i never had any issue getting pressure running to my kicker?

10-Dedicated livewell drain and pump out an divide

that's some kind of walleye talk, isn't it?

11-If there optional hull gel coat stripes make it known.

ask your dealer...

as you mentioned, the fit and finish on my 1890 is superb. everything is where it should be, smooth and well-done. i get used to being in my boat and "forget" how nice it is until i hop in someone else's off-brand boat.
great job once again by Tuffy...it'll be sad to shut her down after next weekend...unless someone is in the mood for December walleyes in Wisconsin Dells? let me know and i'll keep the boat ready to go for another couple weeks!

Edited by lambeau 11/25/2007 9:11 PM
KHedquist
Posted 11/25/2007 9:16 PM (#63448 - in reply to #63441)
Subject: Re: Things I would change, year in review on the 1890

I added a shelf under the drivers console, mounted my 2 way radio, and put sunglasses, Life jacket on the shelf odds and ends.
Tuffy Boats
Posted 11/27/2007 8:26 AM (#63470 - in reply to #63441)
Subject: RE: Things I would change, year in review on the 1890

2) That's always been an option
4) Working on LED lighting, rod locker and livewell were illuminated in 2006
5) Can't do that, this is a multi-specie boat and the pike and muskie guys want the big door. A split door will blow water all over the place.
6) The sliding handle grips worked great according to the majority of our customers, what would you suggest? The current grips slide to adjust the size and number in each rack.
7) Already done
8) Now available
9) That would require a separate gas tank, which cold be an option if there is room
10) There is a dedicated livewell drain. No divider, those beat the heck out of the fish. We tried that. Pumpout may become an issue with VHS regulations, we will see.
11) There are 4 panels to color. Always have been. No pin stripes are available at this time. Tuffy always has made the color options 'known'.
stacker
Posted 11/27/2007 9:32 AM (#63471 - in reply to #63470)

#8 This will add a certain feel to the boats. That warm and fuzzy.

#9- Try a dual pick up in the current tank. I bet you could order them from the tank maunufacturer.

I love my 2060.

Edited by stacker 11/27/2007 9:33 AM
Fisherman Zach
Posted 11/27/2007 11:29 AM (#63477 - in reply to #63471)

I have asked my dealer if LED's are available for the new boat and he said no. Is that fact or fiction? Thanks.
stacker
Posted 11/27/2007 3:55 PM (#63483 - in reply to #63477)

Have you recieved your new boat yet? The led's can be added by any dealer. They are readily available.
KHedquist
Posted 11/27/2007 4:17 PM (#63484 - in reply to #63441)

5-you guys catch to big of fish
6-could you make the track that they slide in wider?
9- Stackers answer

Oh yah forgot, trim on the inside lip of livewell.

11-Ask your dealer, I did he did not say anything.
Fisherman Zach
Posted 11/27/2007 4:42 PM (#63485 - in reply to #63483)

stacker - 11/27/2007 3:55 PM

Have you recieved your new boat yet? The led's can be added by any dealer. They are readily available.

No, it is still at the factory. I know that we can put them on after it gets here. I was just wondering if that was one less thing that I was going to need to rig on my own.
stacker
Posted 11/27/2007 5:06 PM (#63486 - in reply to #63485)

Call your dealer on wednesday and ask him to verify with the factory one more time.
Posted 11/30/2007 5:56 PM (#63550 - in reply to #63441)

I agree with all of the items listed above. A seperate fuel fitting for the kicker would be nice, cutting in a tee just doesn't seem like the proper way to do it. I would like to have a large flat area on the console to mount electronics, I haven't seen a mounting system that I like, I used Ram mounts on mine. Or redesign the console to accept a built in locator/gps mounting. I would like my 1890 better if the consoles were located about 12-16" forward. This would give me more room for trolling, just my preference. The front deck would still be plenty big enough. The consoles could be bigger to offer some protection from the wind, rain and water spray. I'm 6'4" and the passenger side console just doesn't cut it. The passenger seat mount is way to close to the console, I had to install a sliding seat base. One more thing, why can't you finish off the splash well area. The rough fiberglass painted flat black looks cheap. Why not paint it to match the boat?
KHedquist
Posted 11/30/2007 6:09 PM (#63551 - in reply to #63441)

I dont think the back is tough fiberglass, it is more like a bedliner material, I like it you dont slip and the space is usable for netting and standing
lambeau
Posted 12/2/2007 8:30 AM (#63575 - in reply to #63550)

The consoles could be bigger to offer some protection from the wind, rain and water spray. I'm 6'4" and the passenger side console just doesn't cut it.

aha! behold the power and the glory of the walk-thru windshield!

finish off the splash well area. The rough fiberglass painted flat black looks cheap. Why not paint it to match the boat?

as mentioned, this is actually a non-skid, chemical resistant coating.
for us muskie guys who cast a lot, this is a great feature as it creates added "deck" space all the way to the rear corners of the boat that you can stand on without worry about slipping.
KHedquist
Posted 12/5/2007 8:56 PM (#63714 - in reply to #63441)

So how much did they extend the interior/shorten the splashwell?
eye Lunker
Posted 1/7/2008 5:26 AM (#64577 - in reply to #63441)

The one thing for me is the live well and the lid. Its heavy and doesnt stay open on its own and can be rather bothersome while tending fish during tourny's. Sometime in next few weeks i'm going to make a alum pole and put some rubber boot ends on it and see how that works.

Edited by eye Lunker 1/7/2008 5:31 AM
Shep
Posted 1/7/2008 9:00 AM (#64586 - in reply to #64577)

Put a gas shock on it.
eye Lunker
Posted 1/7/2008 10:19 AM (#64590 - in reply to #64586)

Shep i thought about it but i'm just not sure if i want to start driling holes inside then live well? is that what you did?
testpilot
Posted 1/10/2008 7:31 PM (#64756 - in reply to #64590)

Thanks for the feedback in this thread. Many of your suggestions, such as LED trailer lights have been implemented as standard, and others have been added as options, still others we are working on implementing across the board.

The splashwell is an iron-tough non-skid bedliner type material that adds an element of functionality and safety to the boats. The material is applied over the same polyflaked finished fiberglass that is in the interior portions of the boat.

Go ahead, jump up and down all you want in the splashwell, can't do that in many other brands.
testpilot
Posted 1/10/2008 7:36 PM (#64757 - in reply to #63714)

The splashwell was shortened by approximately 6 inches.
Fisherman Zach
Posted 1/11/2008 9:06 AM (#64772 - in reply to #64756)

When did the LED's start? Mine still has regular lights and it was only delivered a month ago? Thanks.
mike lewis
Posted 1/12/2008 9:40 PM (#64834 - in reply to #63441)

after a long and hard summer living out of my tuffy in july aug and sept. fishin muskys. i like my boat the way i got here from the factory one thing i would change would be led running lights, i like the huge splash well for casting from, it is like another deck.we used the huge live well more than once to revive some muskies that wouldnt release, after a good half hr in the live well these fish swam off un harmed, i had her up in devils lake in 30mph winds 4 ft waves with out a problem, this is one of the best boats i have owned, i will be in one for 2008.