installing new sonar/gps
pikeman
Posted 3/8/2008 1:27 PM (#66864)
Subject: installing new sonar/gps

I am getting a new lowrance LMS 522c, can I leave my old lowrance x37 on the boat and not have any interference between them? If so, how far do the transducers need to be spaced apart? Also wanted to know what chip should I buy for it. I fish little bay denoc from the north end all the way down to cedar river. Thanks for the help anyone can give me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TJ DeVoe
Posted 3/8/2008 2:43 PM (#66868 - in reply to #66864)
Subject: Re: installing new sonar/gps

More than likely you will have some interference with the units from my experience. I think the newer ones are better, but pairing a new unit and an old unit I believe you will still see some interference, as I did when I paired a LCX-20 and a X-91 right next to each other.

But for your puck placement; when I was running my gps/sonar combo and then another sonar next to it, I placed both transducers within a few inches of each other. I had a plastic mounting plate on my Alumacraft's transom to mount transducers. So no, I don't think it matters if you ask me but others may disagree. I have seen one transducer on one side of the hull and the other on the other side of the hull.

As for chips, if you do a search on here, you should get some info on chips and others advice/personal experiences. I'll see if I can find you an old thread.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 3/8/2008 2:48 PM (#66869 - in reply to #66868)

Here is a couple of threads you can take a look at.

http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1...

http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=6...

These are both good threads.
B.JAY
Posted 3/8/2008 6:54 PM (#66879 - in reply to #66864)
Subject: RE: installing new sonar/gps

I HAVE THE SAME UNIT AS YOU DO. I WROTE TO CABELAS CUSTOMER SERVICE AND THEY SAID I COULD USE THE LAKE MASTER CHIP. THEY SAY THEY ARE THE TICKET. I'V TALKED TO SEVRAL PEOPLE AND THEY LOVE THE CHIP.
pikeman
Posted 3/8/2008 7:10 PM (#66883 - in reply to #66879)

does it give you 1ft contours on little bay denoc?
Albe
Posted 3/9/2008 10:03 AM (#66900 - in reply to #66883)

The 2007 Lakemaster chip that I use only has contour lines every three feet but they go all the way down to the bottom no matter what depth you are over. That includes the whole bay of Green Bay from Green Bay up to and including the Bays de Noc.

The new 2008 Navionics chip has one foot contours North of a line running from the Ford River East to Peninsula Point and East from there over to Fairport. The area to the south only have six foot contour lines down to thirty feet and nothing past that; only spot depth soundings. The contour lines are not labeled on the Navionics maps.

I will be using the Navionics chip when fishing the bays and the Lakemaster chip when fishing the Cedar River area.

Shep
Posted 3/10/2008 11:41 AM (#66921 - in reply to #66900)

New units with old unit? What are you talking about MK? These are both current offerings from Lowrance.

Pikeman, I need to better understand what you are doing. Are you going to put the 522 up on the bowmount? Or run it on the console next to the X-37? But either way, you will see interference if both have the 200KHz transducers mounted on the transom. If you have the separation between a bowmount, and the transom mounted transducers, you won't see interference until you're in about 20 feet or so. But even then, your interference won't be so bad that you can't read what's going on. The Glorvigan's use two sonars on their boats all the time, with a tranducer mounted on either side of the transom.

If you want to eliminate the interference, use a 50KHz transducer on one. The will not have the definition of the 200K in shallower waters though. They are designed for deep water, like Lake Michigan salmon fishing.

I will have to look into it, but Lowrance now makes a hub that you can network your units to work off a single transduver. I don't know if the 522 has this, or only the LCX series.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 3/10/2008 3:35 PM (#66938 - in reply to #66921)

Shep - 3/10/2008 11:41 AM

New units with old unit? What are you talking about MK? These are both current offerings from Lowrance.

Shep, you missed my first paragraph. lol

More than likely you will have some interference with the units from my experience. I think the newer ones are better, but pairing a new unit and an old unit I believe you will still see some interference, as I did when I paired a LCX-20 and a X-91 right next to each other.

I stated the newer units I believe are better. Meaning interference is less compared to older units. That's what I meant by that.

Edited by Merckid 3/10/2008 3:38 PM
Jayman
Posted 3/10/2008 3:51 PM (#66940 - in reply to #66938)

It has nothing to do with new unit/old unit....it has everything to do with frequency, depth of water and distance apart between transducers.

After that you'll have to work with the different filtering options in the software itself.

As for current offering the X-37 and the 522 are both available now.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 3/10/2008 4:45 PM (#66944 - in reply to #66864)

All I was saying was that on older units, the interference is much worse compared to the new units. I know this from my older units. The newer units I've used are so much better. I've been in multiple rigs where two LCX-113's were sitting side by side and had absolutely no problem. Then add another unit on the bow and still no problem.
pikeman
Posted 3/10/2008 4:48 PM (#66945 - in reply to #66864)

yes the x37 was on the boat when I bought it in 2005. Want to just have it mounted up by my trolling motor so I can see the depth I'm in when casting for pike or bass. The transducer will still stay where its originally mounted on the transom. The new 522c I will mount by the console for trolling for walleye or salmon.
Jayman
Posted 3/11/2008 8:34 AM (#66971 - in reply to #66864)

Pikeman, Go ahead and mount something for your bow mount. Depending on how long your boat the distance apart between and the cone angle of the transducer will determine at what depth you'll get interference. As Shep stated around 20' is commmon but could be as shallow as 15'. You can go into your menus and adjust the sensitivity and surface noise and ping speed. To help minimize the interference.

Good Luck.