Minnow Rules To Change
Joel "Doc" Kunz
Posted 3/12/2008 4:02 PM (#67021)
Subject: Minnow Rules To Change

I am unsure the timing, but minnow rules will be changing. This is in response to concerns over the effect being felt at the bait shops among many other issues, I'm sure including angler sentiment over having to dump their minnows. I'm sure it won't be perfect, but at least we can see that the people in Madison with the DNR are willing to listen.

I let this out to avoid further banter about the rule as it is, mostly because on another board someone had singled out Kendall incorrectly. His opinion is that he can enter what ever thread he sees Kendalls name in and say bad things, drove me to post what I know, and to have a personal discussion with him. Since I addressed it on LLbashboard, I thought I would post the info here also where more reasonable people gather.

I will not speculate or post what I was told as to the change. An official statement will come at some point in the future. I'm sure it takes a lot more then just sending a few memos to get something changed.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jayman
Posted 3/12/2008 4:08 PM (#67023 - in reply to #67021)
Subject: Re: Minnow Rules To Change

"LLbashboard"

Fantastic, more name calling.
RedNeckTech
Posted 3/12/2008 4:39 PM (#67024 - in reply to #67021)
Subject: RE: Minnow Rules To Change

This will be good. The biggest complaints that I have heard are from the bait shops and not having any shiners for the rest of the season due to the 30 day hold rule. Would be nice if the rules get changed quickly.
Jayman
Posted 3/12/2008 4:44 PM (#67026 - in reply to #67024)

The scuttlebutt, I've heard along the Wolf River is getting shiners could come at a premium. Could actually see places out of bait this spring.

Anyone know if the mafia is involved with the shiner business? would like to find some contacts so I can boot leg some minnows by late April
Mr. Darboy
Posted 3/12/2008 4:50 PM (#67027 - in reply to #67026)

Jason- I know a guy, who knows a guy who I can have call you and meet you at the end of a country road on a dark moonless night......

Actually, I've raising genetically altered shiners in my basement that I will be able to use on the river this year!
RedNeckTech
Posted 3/12/2008 4:53 PM (#67028 - in reply to #67026)

I know Hilgers is out of shiners, they guessed how many would be needed to last through April and came up a weeeeeeeee bit short. Funny thing is Oswald Fisheries put out the warning a long time ago this was going to happen.
walleye express
Posted 3/13/2008 8:25 AM (#67046 - in reply to #67028)

My biggest fear from all this no matter what state your in, is that it might break the backs of the people who catch and wholesale live bait or all kinds. I was part of that chain for a while and know most of these guys survive from season to season. And the knowledge alone about catching and keeping good bait gets more and more rare.
RedNeckTech
Posted 3/13/2008 11:02 AM (#67058 - in reply to #67046)

That was one of the concerns in the beginning with the laws; the hand writing on the wall was indicating that minnow suppliers were going to slowly become a dieing breed.
bagz
Posted 3/13/2008 12:04 PM (#67062 - in reply to #67058)

I'd like to take a shot at plastics for the spring run on the wolf this year. Anyone have success on that type bait?
walleye express
Posted 3/13/2008 12:21 PM (#67064 - in reply to #67062)

i've been enjoying success for a few years now running gulp nightcrawlers on a variety of rigs versus of the real thing. even had some great success this past fall with power bait minnows instead of shiners. but i think all of us know that when things get tough, nothing beats real live bait.
Larrys
Posted 3/13/2008 12:59 PM (#67069 - in reply to #67021)

I've had luck with plastics on the Wolf. Pitch twister style and shad tail jigs to the shorelines and verticle jig large tubes. I used a scented product or sprayed on the juice. I actually caught some bigger fish compared to using minnows.
GNWC Rookie
Posted 3/13/2008 1:42 PM (#67072 - in reply to #67069)

Try ringworms. They're all the rave on the Mississippi, and for good reason. I'm not 100% confident in them as a search tool, but really enjoy using them once I locate fish. My main issue with them is that I haven't had enough experience with the color patterns.

They do work, and often catch bigger fish more consistantly.