1st tuffy
mnfish
Posted 4/2/2008 2:57 PM (#67939)
Subject: 1st tuffy

hi
i just bought a 1987 Tuffy Custom Rogue. looks like it has never been in the water or trailered. it didn't come with a motor so i am in search of one. my question is "does anyone know what HP works best on this boat to plane with 2 adults and gear?" due to my budget i am going to have to look at a used 2 stroke and there is a big difference in price between the 20HP and the 35HP. do i need the 35HP or will a 25-30 get the job done?
thanks
mnfish
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TJ DeVoe
Posted 4/2/2008 3:07 PM (#67940 - in reply to #67939)
Subject: Re: 1st tuffy

I do not know the HP rating for this boat. However, don't go with a motor that will just get the job done, you want something that's not going to ruin the performance of the boat. You do NOT want to be underpowered. Never personally been underpowered on any boat, but have used boats that were underpowered and it just plane sucks. Spend the extra money and do it right, otherwise you'll end up with more headaches in the long run. I'm sure however if you call Tuffy direct at this number you should be able to get the info needed on what the hp rating is and what they suggest.

KHedquist
Posted 4/2/2008 4:40 PM (#67946 - in reply to #67939)
Subject: RE: 1st tuffy

Are you from MN?
mnfish
Posted 4/2/2008 5:35 PM (#67949 - in reply to #67939)

hi
yes i am in mn. i live in the twin cities area.
stacker
Posted 4/2/2008 6:53 PM (#67954 - in reply to #67949)

MN Fish, it is fine to stay within your budget regarding outboard motors. No matter what, that boat will not have much "Performance" To worry about, so feel comfortable when buying, don't over extend.
Posted 4/2/2008 7:30 PM (#67955 - in reply to #67954)

stacker - 4/2/2008 6:53 PM

MN Fish, it is fine to stay within your budget regarding outboard motors. No matter what, that boat will not have much "Performance" To worry about, so feel comfortable when buying, don't over extend.

Yup, that would be a typical boat salesman response. But yes, don't over extend yourself, don't worry about being underpowered, there won't be any problems. Merckid has a point, but so does Stacker, you don't want to overextend yourself, but having a boat that is underpowered just plane sucks. Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it a second time. I too would suggest calling the factory.
KHedquist
Posted 4/3/2008 5:32 AM (#67962 - in reply to #67955)

MNFISH, call Jon at Shakopee Marine for good used motor, they are a Merc dealer, all they sell is Mercs, they do alot of repowering of boats, so they may have something in your budget.

They do a excellent job at tune ups.

Tell him Kirt sent yah
stacker
Posted 4/3/2008 9:29 AM (#67969 - in reply to #67955)

Guest - 4/2/2008 7:30 PM

stacker - 4/2/2008 6:53 PM

Yup, that would be a typical boat salesman response. But yes, don't over extend yourself, don't worry about being underpowered, there won't be any problems. Merckid has a point, but so does Stacker, you don't want to overextend yourself, but having a boat that is underpowered just plane sucks. Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it a second time. I too would suggest calling the factory.

OK I dont understand what it is you have against me. That would not be a typical boat salesmans response. A regular salesman would tell you the boat is over the hill and buying a motor for it is simply stupid. come down and lets get you into a new rig, something you will feel safe in.

I can see that no matter how much experience you have in something does not matter, someone always seems to know more.

Edited by stacker 4/3/2008 9:35 AM
mnfish
Posted 4/3/2008 10:10 AM (#67972 - in reply to #67939)

hi
i should interject that i have emailed Tuffy twice with no response. i haven't been able to try calling them yet. (sometimes tough during business hours) i have read several posts on this site and looked a Tuffy's website. if i am reading right since they retooled and redesigned their boats they have taken all wood out of their current boats. was there wood in the floor before they redesigned? if i want to fasten anything to the floor of the boat (battery hold down, gas tank hold down,etc.) what do i have to fasten to?
the boat is rated for 35hp. i talked to a dealer yesterday that told me that most boat manufactures usually reccomend about 10% less than the max rated hp is the optimum motor for a boat for general usage. i never heard that before. has anyone else?
mnfish
WalleyeFIRST
Posted 4/3/2008 10:15 AM (#67973 - in reply to #67972)

The person with the intimate knowledge of this rig is on vacation, and won't be able to reply (via email) until monday.

The rogue is the current tuffy esox hull. In 1987 the Roustabout was an esox with a front deck and the Rogue was an esox without one. It has a wood floor encased in fiberglass (as all boats did back then). A 25 HP will perform exceptionally well on that boat, but it will run on plane with a 9.9.

If you screw into the deck be sure to properly seal all holes.
stacker
Posted 4/3/2008 10:36 AM (#67974 - in reply to #67973)

Walleyefirst, did that boat have a built in fuel cell that MNFish should be aware of?

WalleyeFIRST
Posted 4/3/2008 11:19 AM (#67976 - in reply to #67974)

it should have understorage for an external tank but I will confirm that there is not a built in
sworrall
Posted 4/7/2008 8:19 AM (#68100 - in reply to #67939)
Subject: Re: 1st tuffy

No built in tank. The custom Rogue was a stripped down Roustabout with no front deck or livewell, and no rod locker. it will plane nicely with a 9.9 and will be a rocket with a newer 25 hp motor. Remember, the ratings for this boat were created before motors went to prop shaft ratings, so the newer motors will rock on a Custom Rogue.

Great boat, enjoy!
mnfish
Posted 4/7/2008 10:18 AM (#68104 - in reply to #67939)

thanks for the motor info. if i remember right the manufactures went to prop rating in 1983. does anybody remember if if that is the year? and isn't that about the time they all started going to thru hub exhaust? but from what i have learned here a 25hp is the way to go.
Shep
Posted 4/7/2008 1:36 PM (#68114 - in reply to #68104)

A 25 would be very nice on that boat. I had a 25 Merc on my 91 16' Rampage, which was a deeper V than the Rogue. I think they called it a sponsoned V. That boat would do 27 alone, and 24 with the wife at the time. It was rated for a 40 HP, but I never felt like I needed it, and the extra weight.

The only time I had a problem was with a very large Brian Major(300 lbs) driving the tiller, and me, and rain soaked carpet. As we were pulling out from the resort on LOTW, I told him to open it up. He said, "I am!" At which point I had to lean towards the bow to get it up on plane. Once on plane, I could sit in the seat. He took me to the largest muskie I have ever seen, still to this day. His second best big fish spot. hehehe

Edited by Shep 4/7/2008 1:45 PM
buzbait
Posted 4/26/2009 11:51 PM (#80779 - in reply to #67939)

Just thought I'd throw my .02 in here because I think I might have the same boat. My dad bought it on an auction and we took it for a run today. no gear and 2 people we hit 25.1 with a 25hp johnson. It ran pretty dang good, but would really dosome damage with a bigger motor. Not sure what the HP rating is or even if it is the same boat.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 5/1/2009 3:15 PM (#80957 - in reply to #67939)

Another place to try for a used motor would be Hallberg Marine in Wyoming Minnesota.

I bought a 25 hp Merc from them several years ago and it was a very good motor. I think they do a lot of resort motors. Update them every few years. I know when I was there they had a bunch of motors, all sizes.