What would you do?
Kory
Posted 11/9/2008 8:57 AM (#74647)
Subject: What would you do?

New User

Hey guys I was just curious as to what others would do in this situation. All Winter long here on any of the Western Michigan Dams the water will stay open and you can fish the holes below the dams from shore. Everyone else for the most part just uses 3"-4" twistertail jigs in chartreuse maybe or maybe not tipped with a minnow. I have always for the most part just fished for steelhead all Winter, but this year I would like to fish for Walleye more. I was thinking about picking up some Fuzz E Grubs in 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 ounce and a couple different colors and tip them with minnows. My problem is I went to Lindy's website and they have about 100 different colors to choose from. There is Max Gap, Techni Glow, & Original models which all have various colors. Any particular colors you guys prefer?

I figured this scenario should be close to what you guys face on the Mississippi River and I don't know of any good forums for here in Michigan. Any light you could shed on the subject would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time. I really appreciate it!

Kory

Edited by Kory 11/9/2008 9:02 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
terroreyes
Posted 11/9/2008 9:27 AM (#74648 - in reply to #74647)
Subject: Re: What would you do?

Here, up by the dam on the Huron River in SE Michigan, it's funny. The steelheaders are the only ones who do any good for walleye in the winter and early spring. They're always cussin because a walleye took the spawn sack they were drifting. LOL Mustard yellow and white are my two favorite grub colors for shallow river walleye.
Kory
Posted 11/9/2008 9:35 AM (#74649 - in reply to #74648)

New User

Yeah not the case here from what I have seen. Very rarely does a Walleye get caught by steelhead gear up at the dam. I have seen some, but not many. If anything on days when the steelhead fisherman are not catching anything the guys fishing for Walleye will hook a few steelhead on Minnows. I will give yellow & white a shot. Thanks
iceman35
Posted 11/10/2008 5:49 AM (#74659 - in reply to #74647)

I did well here in ny with Orange in the past... yellow next... FYI... my bud has been been killing the walleyes here with a Smallie beaver on a jighead... color Dirty sanchez... its pumpkin with a chart bellie...
would take some black and purple too... A black jig with a 3" gulp leech might be good...