Cost of fishing guide
RedNeckTech
Posted 12/1/2008 8:45 PM (#75267)
Subject: Cost of fishing guide

I would like to take my son fishing for salmon, large walleye and/or musky this summer and in order for me to do that I need to hire a guide or charter. My question is what is the average cost to do such a venture; how far in advance does it have to be reserved?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GNWC Rookie
Posted 12/1/2008 9:27 PM (#75270 - in reply to #75267)
Subject: RE: Cost of fishing guide

It's really going to depend on which species you decide on. The cost per person for salmon can be much less since you'll likely be on a charter boat, but you'll need 4-6 people to get a good price. On average, a Walleye or Musky guide will cost you around $300-$400 for a full day for two people (for a top notch guide).

Salmon charters run around $100 per person when you get 4 or more. They basically charge around $400 for the boat weather you have 1 person or 5, they may charge more for 6. 4 people on a charter usually works best, you usually spend about $100 each and can each throw in about $15 each for a decent tip if you have a good time.
sworrall
Posted 12/1/2008 10:24 PM (#75272 - in reply to #75267)
Subject: Re: Cost of fishing guide

RedNeck,
I guide Muskies in Oneida and Vilas, have for about 30 years. I'd be delighted to take you and your son out, and you can stay at the Hideout here in Rhinelander. PM me for details.
Sunshine
Posted 12/2/2008 8:03 AM (#75287 - in reply to #75272)

Lots of good guides are regulars here on WalleyeFirst. You already see that Steve has responded. If you are looking for an intimate trout and salmon trip I would recommend Larry Strelow who is a regular here.

It all depends on where you want to go. I guide SE Wisconsin Lakes and others do the rivers, GB and Bago.

I'd say somewhere around $300 is the norm for a good guide with history. I'd make sure that they are licensed, insured and have a captains license if you are doing the great lakes an/or rivers.

Brian Hoffies
Posted 12/2/2008 9:09 AM (#75292 - in reply to #75267)

I went on a Salmon charter only once. I found it to be disappointing. The reasoning is the Captains did everything. They set up the rigs, let out the line , set the hooks. The only thing you did was reel in the fish. Now I do understand the reasons for that. But, if you want your son to be involved in the process I would look towards a more personal setting. Something like Muskie where your son can interact one on one with the guide. I think he will have much more fun.

Whatever you decide to do will be great for your son, thanks for getting him out and experiencing the fishing side of life.
Mark Komo
Posted 12/2/2008 11:15 AM (#75301 - in reply to #75267)

Wow, great idea for you and the boy. Say, how old do you think he needs to be. My boy will be 8. Still too young? He's the black sheep of the family, ie, loves walleyes, but also bass, pike, crappie, and catfish.
Larrys
Posted 12/2/2008 12:46 PM (#75311 - in reply to #75267)

Thank you Sunshine. The biggest problem I ran into with guiding on the big waters was seasickness in the youth. Last year was particularly windy. I would book a trip on a smaller body of water if you are unsure of this issue and I'm sure Steve's trip would be great. You want the trip to be a positive experience to keep the kids interested. If you decide to go big water look into the medications and book the trip with people that won't be dissappointed if you have to return to port early.
Shep
Posted 12/2/2008 1:08 PM (#75315 - in reply to #75311)

Chuck Nelson guides Lake Michigan for Salmon. He has a smaller boat, so it is a 1 or 2 person charter. He does a great job, and his specialty is night fishing. He goes out of Manitowac, and Algoma, I believe. I went with him last year for a night run, and we had a blast.

RedNeckTech
Posted 12/2/2008 6:31 PM (#75339 - in reply to #75315)

Thank you for all the information! Steve, I will EM you shortly. My son is 17 and I want him to experience more in life than I have. I get the biggest kick on watching my kid's faces no matter how old they are. All I have really ever done is shore fish because I don't have good balance due to my ears but I'm not getting any younger.

Thank you again
Posted 12/2/2008 7:22 PM (#75340 - in reply to #75267)

interested in walleyes in the winnebago green bay area leave your EM and ill send you some info
Horshak
Posted 12/2/2008 8:12 PM (#75342 - in reply to #75267)

RNT, give Greg Wierzba a call if you are interested in Green Bay walleye or muskie. Here is his info:

http://gmwguideservice.com/

He can give you an idea on what your expenses will be. Greg is very personable and knowlegeable.
RedNeckTech
Posted 12/2/2008 8:38 PM (#75346 - in reply to #75342)

Thanks Horshak, that name rings a bell.
Viking
Posted 12/3/2008 9:22 AM (#75371 - in reply to #75267)

RNT,

If you want to fish Bago, I'd be happy to take you and your son out. I don't have a big boat and won't promise any trophies but we can probably put a few in the boat. I can even cross the river to pick you up at the Paris St landing on my way out

Posted 12/3/2008 5:13 PM (#75394 - in reply to #75267)

Did you ever consider putting a couple downriggers on your walleye boat and trying salmon fishing on Lake Michigan? I have been doing it for several years now. When Winnebago turns green, it's time to go after salmon. Pick days when there is a light west wind. Keep an eye on the weather, it's an absolute blast! Two Rivers is only 50 miles from Appleton, and the salmon are usually pretty easy to catch. You will also catch Rainbows, Lakers and some Browns.
Jack Dunn
Posted 12/4/2008 10:58 PM (#75434 - in reply to #75267)

If you'd like to expose your son to the joys of slip bobber fishing walleyes on Minnesota's premier walleye lake, Mile Lacs, give me a call.
763-360-5811

Outdoorpartners.com
rangerpat
Posted 12/5/2008 5:09 PM (#75452 - in reply to #75434)

Hey Jack, I'd be more concerned about being exposed to you, for an extended period of time. LOL.
Seriously (spelling) You would have a blast with Jack.
Then when your done, I'll take you on Green Bay. And correct all the stories Jack tells you.
I don't catch many fish on the bay, but I've been called the "Teller of Tales"!
Pat Cavins

Edited by rangerpat 12/5/2008 5:11 PM
RedNeckTech
Posted 12/6/2008 6:41 PM (#75497 - in reply to #75434)

I will have to file your number for future use Jack. Have heard many things about fishing Mile Lacs and it would be a blast!
baldeaglefisherman
Posted 12/6/2008 6:44 PM (#75498 - in reply to #75267)

well how long should you book a trip in advance

also what is the hideout

Edited by baldeaglefisherman 12/6/2008 6:46 PM
fisheye
Posted 12/8/2008 10:59 AM (#75578 - in reply to #75267)

I charter on Lake Erie from april till ice up for big walleyes. Late and early season is your best bet for huge 10# plus fish with great numbers of fish to go with it. I charge $350 for a full day, up to four people . I would say your average guide will be about $300-$500 for full day depending on the size of the boat you go out on and package you choose.