VIDEO:AIM 2009 Tournament Format Release
Juls_OH
Posted 12/6/2008 6:14 AM (#75459)
Subject: VIDEO:AIM 2009 Tournament Format Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Anglers Insight Marketing Announced 2009 Tournament Format.

Plymouth, WI – December 5th, 2008- Anglers Insight Marketing LLC™ (AIM™) announced today the format for their “AIM Pro Walleye Series™” tournaments to be held during the 2009 season.

Anglers Insight Marketing (AIM) will conduct a series of 4 Pro-Am walleye fishing tournaments in 2009. The AIM Pro Walleye Series will host fields of 100 of the top walleye fishing professionals and 100 Co-anglers at each tournament.

Scott Matheson, the President and CEO of Anglers Insight Marketing reports, “The AIM Pro Walleye Series tournaments will all be three day events. The full field of 100 boats (Professionals and Co-anglers) will fish the first two days. The Professional provides the boat, all the fishing tackle and bait for the day. Each day the Co-angler will be paired with a different Professional and have the opportunity to learn individual strategies and cutting edge presentations. The top ten Professionals – based on cumulative weight over the first two days – will fish the third day of the tournament with one of 10 Co-anglers who were randomly drawn during the rules meeting prior to the event.”

Anglers Insight Marketing is also announcing paybacks of not less than 100% of Pro entry fees which will ensure a minimum of $150,000 in prize monies with a full 100 boat field. “From the start, one of the objectives of AIM was to build a platform that meets the financial needs of the professional anglers. A key commitment has always been to pay back at least 100% of their entry fees, and our plan is to exceed these paybacks as our base of sponsors continues to grow.” reports Scott Matheson.

Pro Angler entry fees for the 2009 AIM Pro Walleye Series have been set at $1,500 per event. For anglers who are not AIM owners or “Life Members” there will also be a $250 membership fee per event. The planned payout schedule for the Pro entrants is expected to be released at the Anglers Insight Marketing Annual Meeting on January 2, 2009 in Milwaukee WI.

Co-angler entries have been held to just $250 per event which will help attract a broader base of new Co-anglers to the sport. Co-anglers will not be competing for prizes based upon their placement in the event, but instead will be awarded prizes at a random drawing to be held at the weigh in during the second day of the event.

The AIM Pro Walleye Series will also incorporate other innovations, including a new “Catch, Record, Release” format (CRR). The concept is to have the Pro and the Co-Angler measure the length of each walleye caught before immediately releasing the fish. The lengths will be logged and photos will be taken to validate measurements. At the “weigh-in”, the lengths will be converted to weights and counted in the cumulative total for the pro. The photos and weights of walleyes will be displayed both on stage and on the AIM website to give viewers an idea of the quantity and quality of fish caught by the anglers.

“CRR will bring us back to the head-to-head competition that this sport needs” emphasizes professional walleye angler Gary Parsons, “It will eliminate the guesswork that slot limits and culling restrictions have brought to walleye competitions. We’ll be back to fishing on great bodies of water where the angler who catches the biggest fish – wins!” Catch, Record, Release will also eliminate the concerns by local anglers and fisheries managers of excessive fish harvest or mortality of released fish.

Further information about AIM as well as up-to-the-minute updates about tournaments can be found at the AIM web site: www.aimfishing.com.

Anglers Insight Marketing, LLC (AIM) is a unique tournament organization which is owned by stockholders, the majority of which are Professional walleye anglers. AIM Professionals are among the “All Stars” of professional fishing, with cumulative HUNDREDS of years of tournament experience, including countless tournament victories, series championships, and Angler of the Year titles. This insight and knowledge is now being employed to provide the finest tournament experience for the participants, and the maximum exposure for the host tournament sites and corporate partners.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
tyee
Posted 12/6/2008 9:20 AM (#75463 - in reply to #75459)
Subject: Re: AIM Announced 2009 Tournament Format

CRR! Thanks for the formal announcement! This is very inovating and possibly the best move the Sport Fishing Walleye world has made in many many years. I wish you great success with this and hope it catches on!!!!!!

Good Luck
Tyee
stacker
Posted 12/6/2008 11:47 AM (#75469 - in reply to #75463)

Wow, that does not resemble a walleye tournament that we have known to date. Not good or bad, just different.

I am guessing that many people will have speculation about many parts of this plan, but, as a fisherman, I would think 1750.00 to fish a tournament that a .01 of 1 pound cannot make a financial difference to me seems....... From a contestants stand point, it seems like a great venue to showcase sponsors. I do not know of a way to measure fish that will create a mathamatical equation that can seperate contestants by less than 1/4 of a pound. It seems as though fishing is simply secondary to everything else. I am sure this will come in handy to the full time or the aspiring to be full time pro. I am not sure how many people will watch the events or with what impact the sponsor dollars will have on the market place because of the viewers. Even in racing they are still racing. The anticipation has seemingly been removed for the fans.

Edited by stacker 12/6/2008 11:49 AM
Jim Ordway
Posted 12/6/2008 12:25 PM (#75474 - in reply to #75469)

I see your point Denny.
This is a bold and differentiating move on the part of AIM.
New ideas can be a bit scary until they are implemented and proven.
In the old format, most of the exitement was at the scale. I would speculate that it will now be a computer generated formula converting inches to pounds
I will be interested to see how the measuring and photo aspect of the process is certified.
The new process is good for the fish and good PR.
It all will be interesting. I too wonder if the fees are not a lttle high, but the market will tell the answer.
The drawing for the co-anglers is ok. I have done many on the co side and came to understand that winning is just a stroke of fate in that seat.
Take care,
sworrall
Posted 12/6/2008 3:07 PM (#75481 - in reply to #75459)

http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/articles/12.06.2008/1881/.Anglers....
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/6/2008 4:04 PM (#75485 - in reply to #75481)

I think the decision to implement this new "Catch, Record, Release" format is a great innovative step within the tournament scene. I think the most important aspect is that the anglers are behind this format, then it will work. If you don't have the sponsors behind it, then you won't have the anglers, then you don't have a tournament circuit. I really don't think it will be hard finding co-anglers wanting to spend two days in a boat with the most serious professional walleye pros out there for $250.

Can't wait to hear more.
sworrall
Posted 12/6/2008 5:19 PM (#75486 - in reply to #75459)

Fans watching the event in person and electronically will be a primary focus, from what I understand. There's never been anything like this, and I think it's about time!
Horshak
Posted 12/6/2008 8:34 PM (#75501 - in reply to #75459)

Time will tell on how this will evolve. Definitely a new spin on tournament angling as far as CPR goes. No dead fish equals great PR. On the other hand, as a fan of watching weigh ins, this will seem like listening to bowling on the radio. Just my 2 cents.
sworrall
Posted 12/6/2008 9:11 PM (#75503 - in reply to #75459)

Don't jump to any conclusions, I'd hate to see you have to eat serious crow...I'd wait until AIM actually lets us know how the weigh ins will be run, and TONS of other details.

Horshak, I'm betting you'll be glued to it....
Juls_OH
Posted 12/7/2008 8:37 AM (#75508 - in reply to #75503)

sworrall - 12/6/2008 10:11 PM

Don't jump to any conclusions, I'd hate to see you have to eat serious crow...I'd wait until AIM actually lets us know how the weigh ins will be run, and TONS of other details.

Horshak, I'm betting you'll be glued to it....

Steve,
When do you think that info might come out?

I would have thought if they didn't want negative talk about it, that they would have divulged that specific info right away.

The info they did release leads to only this kind of speculation in my opinion.

I do agree with you that there is TONS of details missing.

I just think it could have been handled better from a PR stand point. You can't blame these guys for their comments when all they can go on is what they were given...right?

Juls
tyee
Posted 12/7/2008 9:01 AM (#75511 - in reply to #75459)
Subject: RE: AIM Announced 2009 Tournament Format

"Not Good, Not bad Just different", "Like listening to Bowling on Radio". Everyone is anxious to hear what is in store for these 100 professional anglers that have invested in their own future. My advice is to WAIT AND SEE! I suspect with the level of profesionalism these guys portray it will be nothing less than great for the sport of Walleye fishing! We can sit here and critique it till our fingers are blue and I'm sure many will do just that? I only hope that once it is ironed out the others will follow. CRR is a great concept and I'm sure there will be plenty of naysayers out there but only time will tell and I'm betting that Time will tell us that this is the direction of ALL competative angling.

Good Luck
Tyee

Edited by tyee 12/7/2008 9:03 AM
sworrall
Posted 12/7/2008 9:23 AM (#75512 - in reply to #75459)

Sure I can. So far, AIM has announced their format, two event locations, and what the events and company are all about. What's going to happen on that stage will be different, and the concept/practice of immediate release on the water was coming anyway, JK had attended a Bass event and acted as an observer in a contestant boat to look at that concept for the PWT for obvious reasons, and the Muskie world has been doing that in a couple circuits for a couple years. The negative from dead fish at tournaments immediately and from post release mortality is what caused the uproar in Wisconsin from Lake Associations and allies that changed the landscape of tournament angling here for good, and perhaps not for the better.

I suspect AIM is holding some of the weigh in/coverage details close to the vest because the details are so revolutionary and cutting edge they need to, for obvious reasons.

I don't understand why anyone would see this as anything but an overdue opportunity to grow the sport. Oddly enough, I see folks who CLAIM they wish the sport to grow slapping (not just on this forum, by the way) at the strongest attempt in 25 years to make that happen. The call has been made for a new and revolutionary paradigm in competitive angling forwarded by sponsors, fans, and the Pro Walleye anglers, and AIM is answering.

Here's what I know:
AIM is about the ANGLERS and the Promotional Partners they work with...not the event owners and their TV show and/or magazine/products. That's certainly different than anything out there right now and in the past.

AIM is thinking out of the box, looking to expand the horizons of this sport in a very tough economic atmosphere.

AIM is releasing pertinent information as they complete each stage of business/organizational development and have all the details set in stone; no speculation will be released from that office.

AIM is a newly formed organization, and is lead by a talented group of Pros and a Director who will not allow the organization to get ahead of itself RE PR or any in other facet.

I'd think you will see much more soon, but I personally doubt you'll see much about the weigh ins other than you should definitely ( if you are not fishing the events) tune in. AND...be prepared to be entertained!

Steve Fellegy
Posted 12/7/2008 10:36 AM (#75518 - in reply to #75512)

I am upset!! Who does Irwin Jacobs think he is ?! I have yet to see him and the FLW send a press release out, outlining his /FLW/Genmar business plan. Don't they realize that they owe US that?!!

And the Packers and Vikings? Who do they think they are not allowing the public and the competition to know the play-book before each season/game!

Yup--Juls is right--bad PR if ya ask me!! Must be the same PR guys runnin' AIM too.

lol lol (just kidding--tongue in cheek?)

Edited by Steve Fellegy 12/7/2008 10:38 AM
Juls_OH
Posted 12/7/2008 10:56 AM (#75520 - in reply to #75518)

Steve Fellegy - 12/7/2008 11:36 AM

I am upset!! Who does Irwin Jacobs think he is ?! I have yet to see him and the FLW send a press release out, outlining his /FLW/Genmar business plan. Don't they realize that they owe US that?!!

And the Packers and Vikings? Who do they think they are not allowing the public and the competition to know the play-book before each season/game!

Yup--Juls is right--bad PR if ya ask me!! Must be the same PR guys runnin' AIM too.

lol lol (just kidding--tongue in cheek?)

I'm not asking for a business plan Steve (s). I'm asking how the photos will be handled on the water and at the weigh in.
I highly doubt that at this late stage if AIM were to give out that info, the other organizations are going to change how they do things just to steal AIM's "cutting edge" ideas.

It would however shut a lot of nay sayers up and return the atmosphere to positive rather than negative.

Simply saying..."wait and see" doesn't cut it when people need to make decisions.

As far as I know, AIM doesn't have enough members to fill a full field yet, so in order to get those remaining spots filled, the info is needed.

I won't say anything about the payouts, because I know that's going to be discussed in a private meeting held at the NPAA meeting. I hope that is going to happen after the meet and greet, so that the guys/gals coming in to meet their idols aren't disappointed to find them stuck away in another room that they can't go in.

As far as the other organizations, they have brochures with rules/procedures listed. I can get all the information about the event I need there. I would know exactly what to expect before putting my 1700.00 in the pot.

I don't need to know what Irwin Jacobs does in the background...as I also don't need to know what AIM does in the background either.

Juls
sworrall
Posted 12/7/2008 11:54 AM (#75521 - in reply to #75459)

And, as I tried to patiently say, most of that information is either already available or will be...soon. I'd argue with you on the weigh in details. What difference does that make what the exact procedure might be if the weigh in is obviously going to be fair, accounts accurately and on a level playing field for each and every fish, actively involves and is exciting for the audience and allows for events now off limits to tournaments? It's described pretty well in the press release what to expect.

Do/Did the FLW or PWT brochures describes exactly how each and every detail of each weigh in is going to occur? And, I'd point out, you didn't ask about CRR procedure or payouts in your last post.

Juls:
'I'm not asking for a business plan Steve (s). I'm asking how the photos will be handled on the water and at the weigh in.'
Press release:
'The AIM Pro Walleye Series will also incorporate other innovations, including a new “Catch, Record, Release” format (CRR). The concept is to have the Pro and the Co-Angler measure the length of each walleye caught before immediately releasing the fish. The lengths will be logged and photos will be taken to validate measurements. At the “weigh-in”, the lengths will be converted to weights and counted in the cumulative total for the pro. The photos and weights of walleyes will be displayed both on stage and on the AIM website to give viewers an idea of the quantity and quality of fish caught by the anglers.

“CRR will bring us back to the head-to-head competition that this sport needs” emphasizes professional walleye angler Gary Parsons, “It will eliminate the guesswork that slot limits and culling restrictions have brought to walleye competitions. We’ll be back to fishing on great bodies of water where the angler who catches the biggest fish – wins!” Catch, Record, Release will also eliminate the concerns by local anglers and fisheries managers of excessive fish harvest or mortality of released fish. '

Payouts:
Press release:
Anglers Insight Marketing is also announcing paybacks of not less than 100% of Pro entry fees which will ensure a minimum of $150,000 in prize monies with a full 100 boat field. “From the start, one of the objectives of AIM was to build a platform that meets the financial needs of the professional anglers. A key commitment has always been to pay back at least 100% of their entry fees, and our plan is to exceed these paybacks as our base of sponsors continues to grow.” reports Scott Matheson.

Call Cody Roswick for the NPAA meeting schedule or look for it at the NPAA website.

As far as the 'Nay Sayers' go, they are a dime a dozen from behind a computer monitor and quite often anonymous. Most change opinions like socks when the wind blows the other direction. Holler for massive and comprehensive change, see that someone actually is DOING what they have been yeling for someone to do for years, then complain when the process takes more time than they would like. That's the way it is, I guess, but those who slam AIM now because they don't understand the process yet will, I bet, be all over the opportunity to praise AIM if they get this right...and I am very confident after making many calls to the folks from AIM ....they will.

I'd challenge anyone with direct questions to place a call to the AIM Offices.

SilverandGold
Posted 12/7/2008 3:26 PM (#75531 - in reply to #75459)

Juls-

Will you be fishing the AIM events? Will you be fishing the FLW events? You are not an investor in AIM. I don't know why you are so concerned about this. You are a mod on another board and there is a lengthy discussion there, but you do not comment. You come here, to a thread that is clearly more positive about AIM than the other, and you jump on them for lack of specifics. Why are you concerned? Just go do your own thing and let AIM be. Nobody at AIM is witing with baited breath to see if Julia Davis is going to donate money to the prize pot, though I'm sure that they will take it. My guess is that they are not paying beyond 50 places anyway.

Good thread Steve and we appreciate you stepping up for AIM. Moving ahead, not backward!
Juls_OH
Posted 12/7/2008 3:28 PM (#75533 - in reply to #75521)

As patiently as you can? Wow...that's pretty condescending....lol

Anyhooo....I read the press releases, so I really didn't need you to quote them again. The quotes didn't tell me anymore than they did the first time I read them.

I think you're mistaking my qeustions as bashing. You couldn't be further from the truth. I want to see AIM succeed. I want there to be competition between the two circuits. That's the only way to make them keep growing.

The answers are not "obvious" and with the little information that is provided by AIM's press releases there are still a lot of questions that need answers. There really are...no matter if you want to agree with me or not.

I have contacted AIM before by phone and email...didn't get a response to either of those attempts, so I don't see what good it would do to try again.

Over and out. I'm not commenting on this subject again. I'll just wait for the first event, since that's the only way we'll get to see what's actually going to be happening, and how they plan to execute a photo weigh in.

I figured you would have some more insight into the actual way the fish will be recorded to make it an "accurate and level playing field" and how the weigh in will be worked and would share that, but if it's some big secret...so be it. I won't lose any sleep over it.

Juls
Juls_OH
Posted 12/7/2008 3:32 PM (#75534 - in reply to #75531)

If I didn't want AIM to succeed, I wouldn't have been the one to get it posted over on this site.

And, even though Steve added his link...his link wasn't up on the front page when I posted the announcement. I looked there first.

So, your snide comments are out of line. Again, asking questions is not bashing.

But, if they are too tough for you, then I guess you would see it that way.

later,
Juls

sworrall
Posted 12/7/2008 5:49 PM (#75541 - in reply to #75459)

'As patiently as I can' is remarkably different than 'I tried patiently to say' and I wasn't being a bit condescending. You said what you said, I responded in kind. I KNOW you want AIM to succeed. I just tried to answer your first comment from my perspective, then follow up with you on your second. I disagreed with what seemed to be a defense that because AIM is releasing information as it's ready to be, and not by some one else's schedule, it's OK to anonymously beat the hell out of them. I don't think it is 'OK', and I said many who do so anonymously will just as quickly praise them when the process is complete and AIM events are underway.

I was at the St. Paul Ice Show shooting video when the release arrived, so it was a few hours behind in getting posted. I posted the link because that is what we always do when a news item goes up and there is a reference to it in a thread here.

As to the other comments I think you are catching some flack by association from what's going on elsewhere, but that's just a guess.

I never have had a problem contacting AIM folks, I'd suggest you try again, by all means.

Posted 12/7/2008 5:51 PM (#75542 - in reply to #75459)

"Pro Angler entry fees for the 2009 AIM Pro Walleye Series have been set
at $1,500 per event. For anglers who are not AIM owners or "Life
Members" there will also be a $250 membership fee per event. The
planned payout schedule for the Pro entrants is expected to be released
at the Anglers Insight Marketing Annual Meeting on January 2, 2009 in
Milwaukee WI."

What is the "life membership"?

Since there seems to be a clear over lap with the NPAA members and the AIM investors, having the AIM meeting right before the NPAA meeting seems to make sense. Based on the information I received the NPAA meeting starts in the evening on the 2nd with a social event and the main part of the NPAA meeting is Saturday and Sunday. I do think both organizations despite the obvious connections will have to be careful on how dealings between the two are handled and communicated.

Re-reading all the post, and other post at the other place, not sure why everyone is so defensive. The approach AIM is taking is clearly out of the box thinking, and very different. In trying to drive their agenda, and innovation they should expect people will either like their ideas, or not. I would think the more dialog good or bad will ultimately benefit AIM as they move their concepts forward.

Not sure if this person represents the organization as an investor, SilverandGold, but comments / questions like these are not helpful from my point of view “Will you be fishing the AIM events? Will you be fishing the FLW events? You are not an investor in AIM. I don't know why you are so concerned about this.” I am neither right now, not an investor (never had the opportunity), and not sure about fishing yet. I do fish FLW, but hoping AIM gives me another real option. So, I read everything, with great interest and concern. It would appear maybe that if you are not an investor, or have a “life membership” (not sure what this is?) your ability to provide input feedback is going to be treated with indifference. Hopefully the leadership of AIM understands that part of their success will be closely tied to how they treat people, their investors, tournament players, and the general public.

Maybe it would be good as comments are posted for people to declare if they are an investor, sponsor, life member, Pros, Cos, or potential participants. Might help everyone on understanding the feedback, questions or comments people are providing.

My position on what has been communicated to date leaves me still interested, but still wanting more details and facts.

SilverandGold
Posted 12/7/2008 6:27 PM (#75545 - in reply to #75459)

“Will you be fishing the AIM events? Will you be fishing the FLW events? You are not an investor in AIM. I don't know why you are so concerned about this.”

She clearly stated that she will be waiting for the first event to see how it is "executed". So, that seems to me that she is saying that she isn't fishing in it. I suspect that she's not fishing any events at all. So, why keep chopping this thing if she isn't going to be part of it? She seems to think that she needs to be the one to gather the info and provide it. That's incorrect. That's AIM's job.
sworrall
Posted 12/7/2008 6:28 PM (#75546 - in reply to #75459)

Guest:
Good post, with some great points, a couple of which I'll respond to.

I am commenting form the Media perspective.

From what I know, feedback is and will be welcomed by AIM from all who might fish and watch the events, and I'd bet anyone offering feedback to AIM directly will be treated with due respect.

AIM and the NPAA are completely different organizations with different goals, but those goals do dovetail in benefitting both if achieved by both, or either. I believe it is AIM's stated position there is a clear differentiation between the two organizations.

Perhaps you might give Scott Matheson a call regarding the investor/life member/etc. details, I'm sure he'd be delighted to answer your questions. A link which provides his number:
http://www.aimfishing.com/item/1865/
thumper
Posted 12/8/2008 7:03 AM (#75561 - in reply to #75459)

"The top ten Professionals – based on cumulative weight over the first two days – will fish the third day of the tournament with one of 10 Co-anglers who were randomly drawn during the rules meeting prior to the event.”

Do I read this right- The final day 10 co's are drawn before fishing begins? Are they made aware of who is fishing the third day beforehand? Co-Angler prizes are given away at random, and not based on performance?
While I'm sure they will have no trouble getting co's, it does seem to take some of the fun out of it. Co's used to be able to get a little excited themselves, get a taste for the competition, and a sense of accomplishment with a good finish, even if they were only indirectly responsible. I do suppose it makes the co's a little more arbitrary when it comes to rules infractions or the measurement photos, as their finish does not depend on the weight. I am a big fan of the changes of the pro side and wish them the best.
saugers2
Posted 12/8/2008 8:54 AM (#75564 - in reply to #75459)

We have held "bump & run" bass tournaments at a club level on bodies of water that have restrictive limits or size laws. We just measured and recorded length and converted.....we used honor system for a while since it was just a club event with low payouts. Some people in the club had concerns, so I started researching a method of photographing the fish on a ruler.....had a plan to make rulers with large numbers, each person would be given a SDI card blanked and dated by Tournament Director, and a slip of paper or laminated card with the date of the tournament and a code designated by the T.D. Pics of fish on ruler with card in background....

SDI cards would be turned in and viewed on computer, and wieghts verified.

would be very easy to do, and is a great way to host tournaments at certain bodies of water. We discussed this at length but in the end decided that it was just "club" tournaments after all and just went back to the honor system.

I say "Good Work, AIM!"

Its going to be different, but different does not equal bad in this sense.

Edited by saugers2 12/8/2008 8:57 AM
Caveman
Posted 12/8/2008 9:07 AM (#75565 - in reply to #75459)

WisFisher - 12/8/2008 8:43 AM

In general it seems as if this site has a problem with women in the fishing industry, mods are calling a specific women that the don't like and trying to emphasize the point the she may not be a succesfull fisherMAN.
sworrall
Posted 12/8/2008 9:52 AM (#75569 - in reply to #75459)

Mods?
I think not.
We welcome any reasonable input at all from anyone, male or female.
As far as I know one's gender doesn't effect one's success on the water.
Rich S
Posted 12/8/2008 10:05 AM (#75571 - in reply to #75459)

Geez, winter blues are going strong this year! I think Juls has some very valid points on this. Hopefully they fill the gaps shortly. So far, I see lots of openings for problems but I also have complete faith in these guy's ability to run a top-notch circuit.
stacker
Posted 12/8/2008 12:48 PM (#75579 - in reply to #75459)

Thanks for the advice Tyee on waiting to see, But, I dont remember asking for your advise when I made a post. I mearly made a comment regarding what AIM had released. AND, It is a very valid point.

As I stated, there will be many others with areas of this release that they see that may be of question, and Juls hit one right on the head. That was, they need to release the rule book in which everyone will play. Thats all. Not the nuts and bolts of weigh ins and such, thats not our business. Just our rules regarding how we will WIN THE EVENT!!. NOW, if you are one of those guys who decides to say, "You are not even fishing so why do you want to know so bad?". BECAUSE, with no fans, there is no reason for anyone to sponsor this circuit.

Have a great day!!
Pictures??
Posted 12/8/2008 1:13 PM (#75580 - in reply to #75459)

Hope they never come to Erie in April.How do you guess the weight of a 30 inch prespawn against a 30 inch post spawn? Both fish can be 30 inches but the post spawn fish will be 2-4 lbs lighter in weight. Lets see how it rolls.Good luck AIM.
Walleye1
sworrall
Posted 12/8/2008 1:17 PM (#75581 - in reply to #75459)

The rules and regulations will be released when the registration/entry forms are released and pros/cos can begin registering to fish an AIM event, which makes perfect sense. Expect that to happen January 3rd from what I've been told.

The fans will be there, Stacker. IMO this group is going to do much of what you've asked for to entertain and draw in new fans and grow the sport, and alot more. Emphasis on ALOT.

AIM joined the NPAA as a supporting partner. The press release is here:
http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/articles/12.08.2008/1773/NPAA.Anno...

Note the logo page: http://www.npaa.net/sponsors.asp
FLW and MWC are supporting partners

A meeting of AIM investors is scheduled for January 2nd, 2009, and the details requested in this thread and eleswhere are to be released in a press release January 3rd. The AIM meeting in no way will conflict with any scheduled NPAA event.

Hope this helps.

tyee
Posted 12/8/2008 1:21 PM (#75582 - in reply to #75579)

Denny,

It wasn't my intention to offer you any advice! I know better. Sorry if you looked at it that way! Purely stating what I thought was the obvious. I suppose it's not that much different than congress getting out info to the auto companies in a timely manner ya think? I don't work for them or play in their game so why should it concern me, I have no control over it! I am not participating either and I would never question anyones need to gain knowledge. Just the manner in which they go about it! Tells alot about a person huh?

I don't think many "fans" give a rats tail about the "rule book". I'd think most "fans" have little knowledge of the inner workings of tournament directors and their sport! As for the rule book, I supose there are others that are on the bubble that may want to participate and I am sure it will come in due time don't ya think!

Boy it's gonna be a long winter!
Good Luck
Tyee
sworrall
Posted 12/8/2008 1:30 PM (#75583 - in reply to #75459)

As s side note;
Explain the difference in 'excitement level' between missing first place by 1/16th of an inch ( or whatever it is) and 1/100th of a pound?

I don't know the system yet, but AIM assured me they know the fans need an exciting and vibrant weigh in experience. All I can do at this point is trust that the group, who have been fishing professionally for a very long time in every major circuit out there, knows what's needed and will get it done.
stacker
Posted 12/8/2008 1:40 PM (#75584 - in reply to #75583)

come on tyee, i know plenty of race track rats, football fans, baseball, golf, snowcross, wakeboarding,etc...fans, they all know the rules inside and out. Dont stop believing for 1 min that fishing cannot get the same draw.
KTurner UL
Posted 12/8/2008 3:14 PM (#75586 - in reply to #75580)

Tell me how it took more talent to catch the pre-spawn female from the post spawn? I'd love to learn your technique......

It's about time some circuit has the intestinal fortitude to challenge the status quo. Obviously the status quo has walleye tournament angling headed to the toilet....

Leveling of the playing field. What a novel concept..... Now if they can come up with a way to inject integrity and send cheaters to the bottom of the lake.......
Rich S
Posted 12/8/2008 3:56 PM (#75587 - in reply to #75459)

Just thinking outside the box but this could open up realtime weights which I would think the fans would LOVE!! I have to believe this is in the mix.

Guest, there would be no weight difference between pre-spawn and post-spawn, the fish would calculate the same. I wonder if they will adjust the weight/length ratio to different locations??
tyee
Posted 12/8/2008 6:12 PM (#75593 - in reply to #75459)

OK Denny I concede I am not as intelligent as you, but do me a favor and let me know when there is a circuit with the fortitude to be the best that climbs to the top of the pile and every fan knows every rule OK.

I am a fan of many sports but not an expert of ANY although I do know who Bret Favre is and what a first down is and that the Highest score wins in his sport. and that in Golf, Tiger is a great player sponsored by Nike and that the lowest score wins, but couldn't and wouldn't want to know all the ins and outs of either game! Hell EVERYONE knew who sponsored Mark Martin but the points race...haven't a clue..........

Maybe I'm not as smart as you or as compulsively loyal to the sports, worthy enough to be called a fan? But I can tell you I own some Nike shoes and some Wrangler cloths and HAVE bought a car at Bergstrom!

AIM is doing the right thing by putting the resource FIRST! That alone will bring fans! There are plenty of sponsors with Millions of dollars to spend on Marketing, you just have to convince them that your business model will generate impressions!

Good Luck to You
Tyee

Edited by tyee 12/8/2008 6:17 PM
Shep
Posted 12/9/2008 9:02 AM (#75610 - in reply to #75593)

Fishing will never have the draw of the major sports. Hell, it won't even draw as many fans as soccer. Why? It's like watching paint dry for most people. Until some circuit comes up with a way to shorten the length of the tourneys/weigh ins to about 3 hours or less. They will need some on-the-water, live video to make it exciting. This would be a huge undertaking, but one I think will be necesasary to advance to the next level.

A couple comments here. This is a circuit for the Pro's. It's all about the Pro's and it's all about money. The fact that the Amatuers don't compete reveals this. A drawing for prizes, and a drawing for day three for 10 of them proves that this is all about money and the Pro's. Not saying that is a bad thing, just different, is all. And different is needed. I guess when I hear a Pro tell an Am to "get in, sit down, and shut up", well, now my advice would be to do exactly that.

I hope AIM is working hard to seek out non endemic sponsorship. The fishing industry only has a limited amount of money to spend. That is what makes the FLW so successful. Not the format, but the money from outside the fishing industry they bring to the table. Heck, I'm a little guy, and I had two sponsors unrelated to the industry. If I can do it, I know a Tommy Skarlis, a Tom Keenan, a Pete Harsh, and many others out there can bring this outside money in.

I don't think putting the resource first has anything to do with bringing in fans. I don't think the people that complained about a few dead fish were ever going to be fans.

And I don't think not having every rule and plan printed and sent out to everyone who thinks they are anyone in this sport is required either. It's a work in process. Isn't that enough? Evidently not for some people. And because they don't get the answer they were looking for, they gots their feelings hurt, and went and complained about it elsewhere. Boo Hoo. Let this thing come out as it is decded on by the guys running it. It's their timetable, not yours. You want to speed things up, become a member,. pay your fees, and become active in the planning. If that doesn't suit you, sit back and wait.

And accusing WF of being a partner, or having some stake in all this. They just cover the news, and they do that very well. Best on the net, IMO, by a long shot. Having more than one circuit to cover is a good thing for them, and a good thing for us. Ya think?

stacker
Posted 12/9/2008 9:27 AM (#75613 - in reply to #75610)

Tyee, or Rod since we are on first name basis. Its not about me being smarter or you being smarter, its about what you, as a fan, choose to believe to be the most important part of tournament walleye fishing. And, of course, what I believe it to be. And, of course, what every fan believes it to be. Everyone has the part that they like the most. Can they have that with out having to get your side crammed down there throat as the best side and the only way for anyone to look at anything?

As far as dead fish go, I think that the number of people against it is so minimal its like the USA saying we cannot say the pledge of alegiance or pray in school, we are codaling(sp) the very very few. The mass majority wants it. And frankly, understand that death is part of the whole gig.

Shep, you are right. At the curent time, soccer probably out ranks the fishing fans. But, that can change. If the players get even with soccer I think they will be pleased. It will take some doing. You mentioned large names that should be able to get non-endemic sponsors. When it comes to that end of marketing, you being in sales like Rod and myself, do you think that these guys should be represented by a firm as other pro sports figures or just keep doing it for themselfs?
SilverandGold
Posted 12/9/2008 10:04 AM (#75619 - in reply to #75459)

"And I don't think not having every rule and plan printed and sent out to everyone who thinks they are anyone in this sport is required either. It's a work in process. Isn't that enough? Evidently not for some people. And because they don't get the answer they were looking for, they gots their feelings hurt, and went and complained about it elsewhere. Boo Hoo. Let this thing come out as it is decded on by the guys running it. It's their timetable, not yours. You want to speed things up, become a member,. pay your fees, and become active in the planning. If that doesn't suit you, sit back and wait. "

Amen,. Shep
Shep
Posted 12/9/2008 11:43 AM (#75623 - in reply to #75619)

I think agents are in the future for some/most of the big guys. If I were a touring Pro, I would already have an agent, and I would have him/her/them chasing every opportunity possible. I'd be willing to bet the big money is going to be made not from the tourney's themselves, but from the sponsorship dollars. And the first guys that realize this, and start chasing the real money, are going to be the ones who succeed sooner.

Lots of things can be done that just are not being done right now. You local race tracks have driver's that have their own bio cards, called Race cards. They'll have a picture of the driver and his car on the front, and bio's and stats on the back. I talked to Dave Olson of Speed Graphics, AKA Big O on MuskieFirst, about this a couple years ago. There was absolutely not interest from the two or three touring Pro's I approached about it, thus no interest from Dave. But a guy like that can make some really nice promotional Angler Cards that the Pro's could give out at the weigh in, at the launch, during local promotional appearnaces. I don't understand why any of those guys would not see the value in these cards. Closed minds is my guess. Unable to think outside the box? Name recognition needs to go beyond the internet boards. What better way to start out than with some self promotion. 1000 5X7 cards is about $300, 5000 is only about $550. I can see all the hot dogs at their tow vehicles, signing these cards, and handing them out to the kids and fans during/after the weigh ins.

Maybe a bit off the subject for this thread about the AIM format, but this is where we were lead.

Here is a smple of one of my racing buddies.
http://www.speedgraphicscompany.com/hollywood_2.gif

Edited by Shep 12/9/2008 11:44 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(hollywood_2.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments hollywood_2.gif (157KB - 98 downloads)
stacker
Posted 12/9/2008 12:05 PM (#75626 - in reply to #75619)

SilverandGold - 12/9/2008 10:04 AM

"And I don't think not having every rule and plan printed and sent out to everyone who thinks they are anyone in this sport is required either. It's a work in process. Isn't that enough? Evidently not for some people. And because they don't get the answer they were looking for, they gots their feelings hurt, and went and complained about it elsewhere. Boo Hoo. Let this thing come out as it is decded on by the guys running it. It's their timetable, not yours. You want to speed things up, become a member,. pay your fees, and become active in the planning. If that doesn't suit you, sit back and wait. "

Amen,. Shep

I would agree whole heartedly with this statement if, and only if, they were not looking for sponsors to help foot the bill. I would agree with this if they were not looking for co's and pro's. I would agree to this if it was a private afair and were not going to be marketing it to the walleye world. HOWEVER, they are not doing it as a private affair, or it does not appear that they want this circuit in seclusion. Thus, we the fans may ask more questions to help understand there way of thinking, it has nothing to do with someone who gots there feelings hurt. It looks like SHHHHHH, dont say anything is the way some would like it to happen. That is fine if you want the rewards that come with a quiet progression. Again, no one is bashing, we are asking questions. If you do not have an answer, there is no reason for you to decide who ever asked a question or made a statement is a weenie and should shut up. That makes it sound like you are bashing them for asking.
sworrall
Posted 12/9/2008 12:19 PM (#75628 - in reply to #75459)

Actually, Stacker, the activists who were upset about dead fish from tournament fishing number larger and have more influence than you might believe. They actually influenced the Wisconsin State government to place an UNFUNDED mandate on the WIDNR forcing them to rewrite tournament angling regs in the state after public hearings, and as I said before, not for the better if you like the sport as a fan or participant.

Plus, the unfunded mandate left the DNR $90,000.00 in the red on the activity; guess where that money now has to come from?

AIM announced they are in meeting on the final details with the members Jan. 2nd, and releasing all details Jan. 3rd.
Rich S
Posted 12/9/2008 12:24 PM (#75629 - in reply to #75459)

Shep, I went to Tim Minnema's seminar after he won AOY for the FLW. He had brought cards (like the one you mentioned) of him along and I thought it was cool.

At the MWC championship a few years ago there was a kid at the weigh-in. He had the directory with the pictures and short write up's on all the contestants. After we weighed-in he got eveyone's autograph. It was very cool. The best part is that soon, that kid will turn into a money spending, tv show watching, addicted to fishing adult if you know what I mean.
stacker
Posted 12/9/2008 12:45 PM (#75631 - in reply to #75628)

sworrall - 12/9/2008 12:19 PM

Actually, Stacker, the activists who were upset about dead fish from tournament fishing number larger and have more influence than you might believe. They actually influenced the Wisconsin State government to place an UNFUNDED mandate on the WIDNR forcing them to rewrite tournament angling regs in the state after public hearings, and as I said before, not for the better if you like the sport as a fan or participant.

Plus, the unfunded mandate left the DNR $90,000.00 in the red on the activity; guess where that money now has to come from?

AIM announced they are in meeting on the final details with the members Jan. 2nd, and releasing all details Jan. 3rd.

Thats a great subject Steve. It was said many moons ago on this board that the bass guys asked for a study to condone culling. Because of that, they then had to do a study and blah blah blah it cost 90K to the dnr. At no time did I ever hear that there was a group that pushed for tourny regs that would stopped the killing of whales, err ahh fish in the process. After the bass thing, then it was suggested that tourney regs be put in place, but yet still did not hear that it was focused on by a group to have the number one request be that we stop killing fish. Was i sleping on that one?

sworrall
Posted 12/9/2008 1:22 PM (#75632 - in reply to #75459)

It was an unfunded mandate by the legislature to the WIDNR, driven by special interest groups, yes.
brad b unlogged
Posted 12/9/2008 4:29 PM (#75633 - in reply to #75459)

"Actually, Stacker, the activists who were upset about dead fish from tournament fishing number larger and have more influence than you might believe. They actually influenced the Wisconsin State government to place an UNFUNDED mandate on the WIDNR forcing them to rewrite tournament angling regs in the state after public hearings, and as I said before, not for the better if you like the sport as a fan or participant."

This was most definitely a direct result of the WI State Bass Federation effort to open bass tournaments to culling. They opened the door to a pilot program and the DNR took that and ran with it. DNR had their own bill put on hold several times for lack of support - when they had the opportunity to combine their long term goal with the short sightedness of a handful of bass anglers, you get the piece of legislation currently getting rolled out.

In fairness to the bass guys, the recent drafted rules on tournaments would have gotten introduced sooner or later anyway - there are simply too many people out there today that have NO problem telling others how to live. So we get laws that tell us if we can stored boats in our driveways, laws that forbid teens from using tanning beds, and laws that require special permits to fishing.

Yes, its been a long day.
Jack
Posted 12/9/2008 8:37 PM (#75635 - in reply to #75459)

I agree with you thumper, what about the Co's that also are there to compete and not go along for just the ride and get a randomly drawn prize. These guys are competing for the cash also. It should be no different. The top ten should be in the finals. Don't think these Co's are not going to fish hard. It does not sound to impressive of whats being said so far. I would think it would be like having the Co's in a tournament within a tournament. They also come along way to compete, spend money. I hope it starts off on the right path and not get some bad publicity. I hope they don't forget about the CO'S.
sworrall
Posted 12/9/2008 11:28 PM (#75636 - in reply to #75459)

At this point we don't know what the prizes for the Co Anglers will be or how many there will be, correct?
Mark Komo
Posted 12/10/2008 12:15 AM (#75637 - in reply to #75459)

Isnt staying power part of the issue. Brett Farve and Tiger usually at the top of the game. A lot of the top anglers change from year to year and that, I guess, is too be expected. So, its kinda tough to develop a following, I would imagine. Sure there are fan favorites, and those are the folks that need to out front.

Like the card idea. My 7 yo got one from nate provost when we seen him and ruffolo at the Milwaukee show (part of Mid States Marine booth). This was awhile back. Its still tacked to his board. "Captn Nate and Big G3" as he says. Thats a nice touch, and wonder why more pros dont take advantage of this. When I was in Bay De Noc, i got a lot autographs on a hat and gave it to him. He loved it.

Still, curious as to how this all shakes out for AIM. Wishin em the best of luck.

sworrall
Posted 12/10/2008 10:33 AM (#75642 - in reply to #75459)

I am on my way to shoot an interview with Keith Kavajecz, and should have that posted later today. This should provide an opportunity to have some FAQ's answered.
tyee
Posted 12/10/2008 10:45 AM (#75644 - in reply to #75637)

Mark,
You hit on a good point. Why is there not one or 2 anglers consistantly on the top? It seems to be the schedules that are made up in early winter are done so for many reasons including gaining new blood and those local anglers always seem to have an advantage. Is this right or wrong?

Wouldn't a true "amature" circuit highlight these few key individuals. Although to be a true amature circuit you would need to prevent the "big dogs" from participating!
Is what the FLW doing working? One of their circuits was supposed to be for the "weekend warrior" are those guys getting the sponsors and noteriety they deserve? Can AIM incorporate something like this in their business model? Maybe make it better than the FLW or partner with some already in existance?
Just thoughts.............
Good Luck
Tyee
Shep
Posted 12/10/2008 11:30 AM (#75646 - in reply to #75644)

There are several anglers out there consistantly at the top. Skarlis, Parsons, Keenan, Przekurat, Gofron, Kemos, etc. I would take those 6 against the field just about any tournament, and I bet I do quite well.

And I'm not so sure about the locals having an advantage. When you assemble the field with the top 50 in the game, they usually figure it out, and the local's advantage is minimized by the time the prefish is over and the tourney starts.

I don't think you need to prevent the big dogs from entering the amatuer tourneys. I wanted to fish against good anglers, and didn't have a problem when Neu, Przekurat, Olson, or other Pro's were in the mix. I think us Ams did quite well against them last year.
sworrall
Posted 12/10/2008 3:23 PM (#75649 - in reply to #75459)

I'm editing the AIM Interview Video as I type this, look for it later tonight.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/10/2008 4:34 PM (#75650 - in reply to #75649)

sworrall - 12/10/2008 3:23 PM

I'm editing the AIM Interview Video as I type this, look for it later tonight.

That's excellent! I absolutely can't wait to hear this.
sworrall
Posted 12/10/2008 9:12 PM (#75651 - in reply to #75650)

Kavajecz On AIM to date:

http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/watch.asp?id=1289
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/10/2008 9:24 PM (#75652 - in reply to #75651)

Excellent interview! Thanks for the details Keith.
WalleyeFIRST
Posted 12/11/2008 10:22 AM (#75658 - in reply to #75652)

Good interview, answers a lot of questions out there.

I'm positive you will hear a ton more information in the coming weeks as contracts are finalized and their website begins its launch - from what I know there are many people working extremely hard on AIM.

I have been hearing alot of misinformation out there regarding CRR, I don't think the average walleye guy realizes that this system has been used very successfully in muskie circuits for years - it's not new or untested. Going to that type of system creates opportunity where previously there was none, from both a fishing and an entertainment perspective.

As fans we've been trained to equate tournament fishing with pulling a live (and oftentimes dead) fish out of a basket on a stage, when the real tournament is going on in the boat. Technology is quickly bringing us to place in time where we don't have to settle for that any more.
WalleyeFIRST
Posted 12/11/2008 11:38 AM (#75661 - in reply to #75658)

Some examples of CRR in a muskie tournament

(60m.jpg)

(41m.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 60m.jpg (69KB - 123 downloads)
Attachments 41m.jpg (89KB - 139 downloads)
Jim Ordway
Posted 12/11/2008 3:11 PM (#75663 - in reply to #75661)

Excellent interview with Keith. It answered most of my questions.
The co anglers get a chance to fish with good guys for two days for 125/day.
I would say that a very affordable. The co anglers are on board to learn and help the pro and perhaps something will develop that will allow the co to get credit/award for big fish or some category.
Regarding the co anglers fishing hard and hoping to make the finals: it is a great dream but the reality is much more in the luck of your draw that in your personal abilities. A friend of mine won a boat at the Cass Lake PWT last year. His 3 boaters did not make the top 20 but he ended up with the aggregate weight to put him in a new Lund. Yes, he is a good angler, but the luck of hitting the right weight in the right days was totally random. You can be out in the boat with the best anglers in the league and still get zeroed on any given day.
Not being in the hunt by virtue of your total weight is no less of a chance of of fishing in the final ten than a random drawing as AIM is suggesting.
Take care,
Jim O

Edited by Jim Ordway 12/11/2008 3:13 PM
Timm
Posted 12/11/2008 6:58 PM (#75665 - in reply to #75459)
Subject: RE: VIDEO:AIM 2009 Tournament Format Release

I just watched the video with Keith explaning the new AIM format and I think its a GREAT ! GREAT ! GREAT ! Idea,can't wait to see it all unfold.
Thanks AIM,
I support you 100% !
TIMM
sworrall
Posted 12/13/2008 8:40 AM (#75696 - in reply to #75459)
Subject: Re: VIDEO:AIM 2009 Tournament Format Release

Watch for alot more after the 1st of the year.