Red mono and floro line...
iceman35
Posted 12/28/2008 9:25 AM (#76028)
Subject: Red mono and floro line...

Anybody got any thoughts, input, or on the water experience with red mono or floro? The concept is good but does it work out on the water? was mainly looking for light (6#) line in deep(20+ ft).
I love using 6# line but some days seeing the line gets tough...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
walleyedmike
Posted 12/29/2008 1:13 PM (#76054 - in reply to #76028)
Subject: RE: Red mono and floro line...

I don't have any experience with red mono or floro, I just take a high-vis mono and tie on a clear floro leader.

Since we're on the subject of red, can anyone explain why red mono "is invisible" under water, but almost every lure manufacturer now has red hook(s) on their lures? Either fish can see red, or they can't!

Not trying to change the subject, just hoping someone can clarify for me.....
Shep
Posted 1/2/2009 10:19 AM (#76210 - in reply to #76054)

Red does not disappear under water. It's just the first color in the spectrum to lose it's color as you go deeper. My understanding is that it doesn't become invisible, it loses it's color, and becomes black. I can't answer why the put Blood red hooks on baits. I've not seen an advantage in my experience.
Rick
Posted 4/1/2009 1:43 AM (#79746 - in reply to #76028)

I was told that it has to do with red hooks are opaque and the line is transparent. Thats the only answer I have found that makes ANY kind of sence to me. I don't know if it's right but it's what I eas told.
Garry2rs
Posted 4/18/2009 12:00 PM (#80380 - in reply to #76028)
Subject: Re: Red mono and floro line...

I have used 10 and 20 pound Power-Pro for their visibility above water. This year I will be using 15 pound Fireline Tracer for the same reason.
[IMG]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc128/Garry2rs/DSCN1607.jpg[/IMG]
It shows up very well against both clear and stained water.
The theory behind red hooks is that the colour of blood in the water is somehow exciting to fish.
Therefore, red hooks might well be seen as a gimmick on any bait that operates below about the 10 foot depth.
However, there are a great many famous lures that stay well above that mark.
At shallower depths red hooks, or blades, or skirts etc; might not help, but I don't think they can hurt.
Garry2rs
Fishing is my favourite form of loafing.
LurePresentation
Posted 4/22/2009 12:54 PM (#80581 - in reply to #76028)

No-body really knows if the red stuff is better or not. It's all a sales gimmick to me. Ran all colored lines and hooks. Never gained an advantage with any colored hooks yet. The lines only aid myself in sight. Never noticed any advantage with any colored line as far as fish biting baits connected to them. It's mainly just confidence in using the line that you deem worthy at the time.
sworrall
Posted 4/22/2009 3:59 PM (#80587 - in reply to #76028)

the red line definitely looks black underwater, and is anything but hard to see. I shot a few ice videos of the red line this winter, and it was much easier to see than any of the other ice lines including Fireline.