X-190 questions
Almost-B-Good
Posted 1/12/2009 7:15 AM (#76477)
Subject: X-190 questions

Winter has me daydreaming and I was contemplating the idea of adding a jackplate to my X-190. I still don't think I have it dialed in yet to the very best possible performance and am always looking for getting the most from my rig. So, my question is this: Has anyone done any testing of the X-190 with 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12" setback jack plates to find out which is the optimum setback? I remember reading articles on bassboats where tests were done and it always seemed like there was one setback that was clearly the best performancewise. Is there a formula for the correct setback or is it just run it and find out? Not that I'm going to do this for sure, just curiosity is getting the best of me.

The other question was has anyone added a rubber mat to the nose section just to the right of the trolling motor to make it nonskid when getting in and out of the boat when there is no dock? Several times I've noticed when the boat is driven tight to shore that the front getss pretty slippery when it's wet. Thought it would also protect the finish up there from gravel and sand scratches from boot bottoms when entering and leaving the boat. Any one try this or have any ideas for a good mat material?

Edited by Almost-B-Good 1/12/2009 7:20 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Shep
Posted 1/12/2009 8:21 AM (#76482 - in reply to #76477)
Subject: RE: X-190 questions

Zach did this on his 1890, and also on the 2060 he had, I think. Not sure exactly what he used. Hopefully he'll see this and respond.
stacker
Posted 1/12/2009 10:37 AM (#76489 - in reply to #76477)

Almost, I have set up many boats over the years that most guys in the fishing world will never drive. Go fast 80-90 even 100 mile per hour boats. Hydrostreams, switzers, STV's and the like. There is one thing that a person has to know before they start dumping money into a boat. What is the hull actually capable of running for speed. Then, what is the intended use of the boat by the owner? you stated that you do not think that you are getting the very best performance. What is it not doing, right now, that you think it should be?

My questions to you would be:

1-What water are you running? Always flat or chopped up at times?

2- What engine are you turning and what prop at what RPM?

3- What do you want this to do? The complete ride, not just a one time top speed.

4- There are step mats available to install on the boats, we have them here in stock at the store. www.fortfremontmarine.com

Denny

Shep
Posted 1/12/2009 12:41 PM (#76496 - in reply to #76489)

I was talking the mat that Zach did.
Almost-B-Good
Posted 1/12/2009 1:19 PM (#76499 - in reply to #76489)

Running a 2008 200 E-tec. 21 pitch ss vented Merc three blade prop (not a tempest but I don't remember the name off the top of my head) right now gives me 6050RPM with just me, 5850 with two in the boat and the rear deck in. Runs about 59 with me alone and 57 with two people taken off the GPS setup through the I-Command gages. Motor set up three holes out of four on the transom. I have no idea what the horsepower curve is for that motor, as to where it makes max hp, just WOT is 4850 to 5850 rpm. Full trim will not cause porpoising at WOT.

The boat just pops up on plane with me alone, is acceptable with two, but struggles with three. Planes much better with three if the third person sits between the consoles till I hit plane. I was thinking that a jackplate would theoretically put more weight forward and help max load planing times, and might get me a few hundred more rpms so I could go to a 23 pitch prop too for light loads.

I run in everything from flat water here, to ocassional 4 footers in Canada when the wind comes up, you are a long way from home, and have no other choice than to navigate through them. Top end is always nice to have but I don't too often use it, usually cruising about 40 - 45mph seems to put me in an acceptable mpg range when it comes to those 60 mile plus days in Canada.

So that's why I was just toying with the idea of a jack plate. Always fun to think about those things in winter.
stacker
Posted 1/12/2009 2:48 PM (#76501 - in reply to #76499)

Almost-B-Good - 1/12/2009 1:19 PM

Running a 2008 200 E-tec. 21 pitch ss vented Merc three blade prop (not a tempest but I don't remember the name off the top of my head) right now gives me 6050RPM with just me, 5850 with two in the boat and the rear deck in. Runs about 59 with me alone and 57 with two people taken off the GPS setup through the I-Command gages. Motor set up three holes out of four on the transom. I have no idea what the horsepower curve is for that motor, as to where it makes max hp, just WOT is 4850 to 5850 rpm. Full trim will not cause porpoising at WOT.

The boat just pops up on plane with me alone, is acceptable with two, but struggles with three. Planes much better with three if the third person sits between the consoles till I hit plane. I was thinking that a jackplate would theoretically put more weight forward and help max load planing times, and might get me a few hundred more rpms so I could go to a 23 pitch prop too for light loads.

I run in everything from flat water here, to ocassional 4 footers in Canada when the wind comes up, you are a long way from home, and have no other choice than to navigate through them. Top end is always nice to have but I don't too often use it, usually cruising about 40 - 45mph seems to put me in an acceptable mpg range when it comes to those 60 mile plus days in Canada.

So that's why I was just toying with the idea of a jack plate. Always fun to think about those things in winter.

The replay is::::If the max RPM of the e-tec is 5850 and you are running at 6050 you are now outside the horsepower curve and it is actually dropping HP. The hole shot on the x-190 no matter how many people should be really good. Do you have the vents in or out? have you tried different hole sizes. Is the name on the prop Mirage? I am not a evinrude dealer but merc. I know there props well.

I Would suggest setting this up to do just that. I would use a High five prop instead of a 3 blade. The hole shot will be second to none and the boat will cruise well at mid 40's. The top end speed may be the same or 1-2 mph slower. It will carry your company well and it will make you look good.

yep, love to tinker, but in your case, it just wont help. buy a 600.00 dollar prop and all will be good. You can try them here before you buy.

Thanks

Denny

Edited by stacker 1/12/2009 2:50 PM
Almost-B-Good
Posted 1/12/2009 2:58 PM (#76503 - in reply to #76501)

I can't say for sure but I think the prop might be a "Trophy" or some name similar to that, three blade sst. The vent holes are plugged to a smaller size, about finger diameter, not the thumb diameter of the unplugged holes. Was also wondering about a prop they call a Rev4, if that would be worth a try for more of a hole shot and possibly to lift more hull out of the water at top end speeds? Only 4 more months to wait to try something!
stacker
Posted 1/12/2009 3:33 PM (#76506 - in reply to #76503)

A trophy is a 4 blade prop. A rev 4 is a 4 blader. They will be good top end speed but not much on a hole shot. Fact is with 3 guys i doubt it will ever get on plane. You have to make a choice, a prop that will get 3 guys out of the water and cruise nicely, or a beast for a top end speed. "you cannot have your cake and eat it 2" hehehe. A high five will make the boat seem like a dirt bike from what it is now.

Horshak
Posted 1/12/2009 5:10 PM (#76519 - in reply to #76477)
Subject: Re: X-190 questions

I'll second the High Five. Great hole shot and you only lose 1 or 2 mph.
trim-it-up
Posted 1/12/2009 8:28 PM (#76536 - in reply to #76519)

I have the high five on my 1890 and it really leaps up on plane in a hurry. I love that for rough water. Speed is around 54 on the gps.
KHedquist
Posted 1/12/2009 8:39 PM (#76537 - in reply to #76536)

Now that you trim it up

trim-it-up - 1/12/2009 8:28 PM

I have the high five on my 1890 and it really leaps up on plane in a hurry. I love that for rough water. Speed is around 54 on the gps.
lambeau
Posted 1/12/2009 9:09 PM (#76541 - in reply to #76477)

i wouldn't think you'd have any trouble at all getting it up on plane with 3 people.

i've got a 200hp Opti with a 3-blade Tempest prop set at the same height as yours. (though i'm not sure how the Evinrude shaft length compares to the Merc's?)

at the Tuffy get-together we ran it with full load of gas, all my fishing gear, myself, Dan McGuire and Dale (?)...i'm 220, Dan's heavier than me, and Dale is bigger than either of us by a goodly bit. we snapped up onto plane when i put the hammer down.
heck, we were running around with me, my wife, Kirt, and his son and she'd pop up and run nice on plane, etc.

i'd take Denny up on his offer and playing around with the propping before looking at set-back and jackplates. i might do the same this spring myself: right now i'm running 65mph turning it a couple hundred rpms short of max per the motor manual. i'd like to get the extra rpms more to drop my 40mph cruising speed rpms down a tad more to save even more gas than i am right now when going "slow"...

Edited by lambeau 1/12/2009 9:12 PM
trim-it-up
Posted 1/12/2009 11:19 PM (#76546 - in reply to #76537)

Good point Kirt. I can't wait to trim it up again. After spearing this year I might cut out the landing in Winneconne just to get the boat out earlier.
Almost-B-Good
Posted 1/13/2009 7:31 AM (#76555 - in reply to #76501)

Looked at the props on the merc site and the one I probably have now is a LaserII.

If I would go to the 5 blade prop, would you guess if pitch would remain the same that the rpms would drop from less slip? Or would you expect the Hi 5 to have more bow lift so the rpms would be about the same?

Question for the guys that run the Hi 5, does it hook up better at real slow planing speeds like 20 - 25mph? That would be nice to be able to ride the crests of the waves in the really rough stuff without the boat trying to sink off plane like it does with the 3 blade props.

The motor shaft length is 25" to answer that question. The cavitation plate is above the boat bottom by an inch or more if I remember correctly.
Shep
Posted 1/13/2009 8:56 AM (#76563 - in reply to #76555)

Lazer II is not the right prop for that boat. Too small a diameter, and you probably can't get enough bow lift when trimming it up before the prop blows out. That was my experience with that prop on my Lund Angler 135 Opti, which was lighter than your X-190.

The high-five will give you great hook up at all speeds. Hole shot will be awesome. I'd bet a 23 pitch with the High five over the Lazer II. Also a vented prop, so you'll want to optimize those.

I don't think the Rev 4 would be a good prop for the X-190. It's a big prop to turn, with lots of transom lift. That boat might be pretty light in the ass at WOT. Would make for an interesting ride. It would be fast though.

My guess is you would probably end up with a 21 Tempest or a 23 High Five.
stacker
Posted 1/13/2009 10:15 AM (#76570 - in reply to #76555)

As shep said the laser 2 is not the right prop. The tempest in a 3 blade is the correct prop. However, at 20-25 MPH you will find that it will sink when it is rough and you will need to goose it. More pro's on the PWT will run a high 5 when it is rough because it sticks and evens out the ride when it is rough. I have run them for 10 years and gotta say that I dont care to even run 3 blades any longer.

I would expect the high 5 to start with more transom lift, getting the tail out of the water. By doing so it will lighten the load and let it balance on its pad better, and it will hold the bow slightly elevated. It will give the bottom a chance to run. Knowing you are running a laser2 I will bet that a high 5 will be faster than the laser 2.
KHedquist
Posted 1/13/2009 4:33 PM (#76593 - in reply to #76570)

Yes dump the Laser not the right prop for your boat, Tempest would be allot better for rough water and hole shot cant beat High 5, what you guys think of Trophy 4 blade with a diffuser ring plug?
stacker
Posted 1/13/2009 4:54 PM (#76596 - in reply to #76593)

In rough water the tempest will lose its bite as well. You will need to down throttle and reload many times when she gets tall. The trophy may run, but it is different. It would not need a diffuser ring but can easily be the fastest prop, just not the most user friendly.
lambeau
Posted 1/13/2009 7:44 PM (#76605 - in reply to #76477)

i'm pretty sure Steve Worrall had a 4-blade on his X-190/175 OptiXS at the GTG...either a Rev 4 or a Trophy. (?)
it wasn't performing to it's potential (slower to plane, lower top speed) as he did not have a diffuser ring and he believed that the ring would make a difference. i'm not sure if he got a ring for it later and it improved his results or if he ended up switching props to something else.
Steve?
iceman35
Posted 1/14/2009 10:48 AM (#76623 - in reply to #76477)

I would say a $300.00 6" jackplate would be a good idea... My current boat(bassboat) has a hydro jack and is great to adjust for conditions... I just bought a tuffy 1760 with no jackplate... I may add one by midsummer... gotta get the boat first...
sworrall
Posted 1/16/2009 11:13 AM (#76726 - in reply to #76477)

I'm running a 21 Rev 4, and it's a great prop. On the low end of the RPM range, though.
KHedquist
Posted 1/16/2009 3:48 PM (#76736 - in reply to #76726)

Steve you may have posted it, but speeds are you hitting with your rig and a 175XS and a 200 OPTI?
CraigM
Posted 1/16/2009 9:05 PM (#76748 - in reply to #76477)

I have set up and run a few boats that go fast and fish well ,I currently run a 2060 225 optimax .So let me put my two cents worth into this discussion. First ,etecs and mercs have different torque and hp curve characteristics. I have found that although merc props sometimes run well on a etec. A prop designed for the Etec will usually run better. I run a 23 high five on occasion but with my CMC jackplate a 23- throphy small hub (yes ,they did made a large hub throphy) with the defusser runs almost as well for hole shot and faster on the top end . The prop has been tweeked by an expert. but it ran well out of the box. I don,t understand why people spend 25-55,000 on a boat but they don,t spend 700 more for a jackplate that allows you to tune almost instantly for every situation. With that said if it were my boat I would talk to a prop expert for etecs and I would never own a highperformance glass boat without a hydraulic jack plate . The jackplate is not just to go fast it will let you find the sweet spot for every situation.
lambeau
Posted 1/16/2009 10:43 PM (#76750 - in reply to #76736)

Steve you may have posted it, but speeds are you hitting with your rig and a 175XS and a 200 OPTI?

the X-190 and 200hp Merc Opti is an awesome combo, and in my opinion someone would be crazy to put anything else on the boat.
i hit 64.8mph with a Tempest prop, no jack plate, 1 person, medium load, running at 5500rpms (5750 is motor recommended max).
i don't know of anyone else that has that combo; nor do i know of anyone else whose rig will run that fast. i'm not saying, i'm just saying...awesome motor.

Edited by lambeau 1/16/2009 10:47 PM