X 190, your trailer preference
Curly
Posted 3/3/2009 6:20 PM (#78298)
Subject: X 190, your trailer preference

This is more of poll question. I am asking because I am curious as to how this may affect resale.

I understand the benfits of each...but am close to choosing between this boat and an 1860 Angler. (which comes on a single trailer 99% of the time) But I want to make sure I make the best choice for trailer options based on resale-ability.

The Tuffy X190 is suited for either a single or tandem trailer, either will serve this boat well. That said.

If you were interested in purchasing a new/used X190, what would be your preference? Single or tandem axle trailer

Thank you... I appreciate the feedback
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Almost-B-Good
Posted 3/4/2009 6:58 AM (#78313 - in reply to #78298)
Subject: RE: X 190, your trailer preference

Well, let's see, hmmmmm.... ah yes, SINGLE!!!!! Light boats don't need dual unless you throw a thousand extra pounds of junk in them when you are going on vacation. I turn the boat sideways in the back of the garage in winter to store it and there is no way you could do that with a dual without killing yourself. When you have to buy new tires would you rather buy two or four? When you repack the hubs would you rather do two or four? When you are buying gas for your tow vehicle would you rather buy more or less? The extra weight of a dual isn't free and the extra friction from the tires isn't free either. The money you save not getting the dual can be turned into an extra locator or couple rods and reels.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 3/4/2009 9:25 AM (#78330 - in reply to #78313)
Subject: Re: X 190, your trailer preference

EXACTLY Almost-b-Good! Glad to see someone else with some logical reasoning behind a single axle on this rig. This boat is NOT heavy enough to need a tandem, this also coming from someone who actually has one of these rigs. A tandem on this rig will cause a lot of bounce near the tongue of the rig because the boat is so light. This boat is NOT a 620, it weighs 1300lbs., not 1700 something a 620 does. I would strongly suggest spending the money elsewhere on the rig like Almost-b-Good suggested. Oh, and the cost for a tandem will be more than the estimated $800 I read on the Muskie board.

Edited by TJ DeVoe 3/4/2009 9:41 AM
lambeau
Posted 3/4/2009 4:09 PM (#78367 - in reply to #78298)
Subject: RE: X 190, your trailer preference

i actually have one of these rigs, too...and i'm pretty good at logic.

i've ran both single and tandem axle trailers the past few years, and put a few more miles on the trailer than most people do since i'm back and forth to MN numerous times every season and not just running around to area lakes. after multiple 8+ hour trips towing the X-190, you get a pretty intimate idea of how it trailers.

i ran a single axle on my '08. it was plenty adequate. you definitely don't "need" a tandem axle trailer for a boat of this size. if i was primarily making short trips (less than 2 hours) i'd stick with the single axle for ease of use.

however, i'm going to run a tandem for '09, as i "want" the improved ride that i experienced with a tandem on my boat in '07.
if the hitch height is properly set to make sure you've got enough downforce there shouldn't be any problems with bounce at all. the second axle really just means the weight is distributed over 2 axles instead of one - thus a smoother ride and straighter tracking at highway speeds. just because the boat is lighter than some others doesn't mean that the trailer is suddenly going to bounce itself into the air...we're still easily well over 2000lbs on a properly rigged X-190 with a 200hp motor and loaded with all your fishing gear.
as was pointed out, it will mean less hand maneuverability, a slighter wider turn radius, and probably a nominal drop in gas mileage.

luckily, it's up to the person who's actually paying for their own rig to figure out the "right" answer for them. imho, the tandem's worth it for the smoother ride and increased peace of mind in case of a blowout. the good thing about the X-190 is that you've got the OPTION to go either way.
sworrall
Posted 3/4/2009 4:47 PM (#78370 - in reply to #78298)

I'm running a tandem under my X190, and the ride is just fine.
trim-it-up
Posted 3/4/2009 5:22 PM (#78373 - in reply to #78370)

My 1700 osprey has a single axle and tends to bounce going down the highway. My 1890 has dual axle and has much smoother ride, I realize we are talking 2 different boats here but I think dual axles ride better then single on any trailers I have pulled. The 1700 isn't out of control but it does bounce on some roads.
Big O
Posted 3/5/2009 12:04 AM (#78382 - in reply to #78298)

If you have ever lost a wheel bearing at highway speeds you will defantly apprecate the tandom axle trailor!
KHedquist
Posted 3/5/2009 5:10 AM (#78383 - in reply to #78382)

Speaking of trailers and tires, really consider getting the tires balanced, I did wow what difference when pulling, smoother.