Storing line
new2pru
Posted 3/22/2009 10:12 PM (#79289)
Subject: Storing line

Hello,

I read this site quite often and I think it's great.....but I don't post too often.

Anyway, this may suond like a dumb question......but I found a good deal on mono and fluro line at Dick's Sporting Goods and ended purchasing a few years worth of line. Any issue with the shelf life of mono? I planned to store most of it in my garage or basement but I don't want the line quality to deteriorate over time. Does this stuff "keep" for a while? I would hate to use some of it in a few years and see that it become weak or brittle. Any thought?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Shep
Posted 3/23/2009 12:26 PM (#79314 - in reply to #79289)
Subject: RE: Storing line

I use line that may be a few years old. I store out of the sunlight. I think UV is the hardest on line, and that it should be avoided if at all possible.

Is there a Born On date on the package? An expiration date? I haven't seen any yet.
jjkarlis
Posted 3/23/2009 6:42 PM (#79342 - in reply to #79289)
Subject: RE: Storing line

New User

this is how i have done it for many years. I store all my line mono floro braids fireline ect. in large freezer zip lock bags in my basement.I believe uv rays and heat deteriorate and weaken line.The key is to store line in a cool place.Also when i buy line i will write the date of purchase on the spool. Always using the oldest line first.right now i have line that is six years old.Furthermore when i buy line by mail order i never buy during the summer months.just think of your cabelas or bass pro fishing line sitting in a ups trailer during july and august.as far as shelf life i honestly do not know.i do a lot of summer fishing last year i had one line break and that was at the knot. spoondog
iceman35
Posted 3/25/2009 5:53 AM (#79396 - in reply to #79289)
Subject: Re: Storing line

spoondog hits some great points... store it in a cool dark place... I just went through all my line this winter and gave alot away... keeping only the newer stuff... When using some older 4-8# test... make sure it hasn't weakened... FYI... Floro is supposed to be impervious to sun and heat... meaning longer shelf life... also more money and a bitch to fish with...
Garry2rs
Posted 4/18/2009 12:18 PM (#80381 - in reply to #79289)
Subject: Re: Storing line

Braid and Fluorocarbon are not bothered by UV rays, but mono is seriously weakened by them. As suggested above a cool dark place sounds like the answer for long term storage.
Garry2rs

Edited by Garry2rs 4/18/2009 12:19 PM