NEW: penn line counter - Any thoughts?
budsbud66_w
Posted 4/11/2009 11:03 PM (#80066)
Subject: NEW: penn line counter - Any thoughts?

http://www.pennreels.com/images/conv_gtLevelWind_new.jpg

Any thoughts??? Looks like they are built to handle abuse.
Is there a reason why these would not be pratical for green bay walleyes?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tim
Posted 4/13/2009 8:59 PM (#80130 - in reply to #80066)
Subject: RE: NEW: penn line counter - Any thoughts?

I run a couple of the Penn 320 series on my boat, I mostly fish Salmon but enjoy Walleye fishing too! The Penn reels are great reels, well built, good drags and easy to find parts for if something need replacing.

This past winter I bought two of the Penn 209's that they added a line counter to, the 209 has been around since Jesus was fishing and is a standard Great lakes reel but never had a line counter. With the line counter it's an even better reel. This past winter I bought 2 of the 209's with line counters and 2 Tekotas with line counters. The Tekotas are great reels, but $150, the 209LC's were $54 from an on line company called Tackle Direct. (I have No affilication)
At this point in the season (3 weeks of Brown Trout fishing) the 209LC's are doing great. I guess for the price I expect the Tekotas to outshine everything on the boat, and to be honest they are good reels, I'm just not sure they are worth the price tag when the 209's are doing so well. I also run Diawa SG 47 LCA's and they are a good reel.

Guess what I'm saying in a round about way is the 209LC is alot of reel for the money.

Tim

schmidtwi
Posted 4/14/2009 12:51 PM (#80160 - in reply to #80066)
Subject: Re: NEW: penn line counter - Any thoughts?

Penn has always produced a quality reel. I have some 209's that are over 25 years old and still work great (not quite Jesus' age). I agree they are a lot of reel for the money. They can handle anything.