Run or charge/jump
scottp
Posted 6/17/2009 5:46 PM (#82494)
Subject: Run or charge/jump

I've had my 2060 for 3 years now and I still don't know if I'm doing this right, when I charge my trolling motor batteries is the switch up front supposed to be in the charge /jump position? I have a 2 bank charger so I'm only charging my trolling motor batteries. And when the charge is complete should I be putting the switch back to the run position? Just wondering cause my Terova took a crap on me, and I was reading in the Tuffy rigging book how the big motor can damage the trolling motor if left on "charge"
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Horshak
Posted 6/17/2009 6:11 PM (#82496 - in reply to #82494)
Subject: Re: Run or charge/jump

I believe you have to unplug the trolling motor plug before you actually try and charge them while running so you don't ruin your trolling motor. Can't remember the proper position as I only used it once in 4 years. Maybe Denny or Steve can chime in for the proper position.
Horshak
Posted 6/18/2009 11:24 AM (#82520 - in reply to #82494)

Anyone?????????????
fibtat
Posted 6/18/2009 5:04 PM (#82532 - in reply to #82494)
Subject: RE: Run or charge/jump

All the power at the plug in the panel is 12v.Your t/m connector converts 12v to 24v. I doubt that 12v to a 24v or 36v motor will damage it,only make it run weakly. I believe charging in the run position only charges one t/m battery,while charging in the jump/charge position charges both t/m batteries and the crank battery.Putting the switch in the charge/jump position while not charging will slowly put charge from the t/m batteries into a dead crank battery.It's a beautiful think and has saved my butt a couple of times!
sworrall
Posted 6/18/2009 9:32 PM (#82540 - in reply to #82494)

Yep, that's about right. In the 'charge' position, the batteries are all tied together, but the drain from the starting battery won't be immediate as the wire is a fairly small gauge if you run your trolling motor on the 'charge' position. It will put enough charge into your start battery on the water to get an emergency start if you are not in a hurry.

It will not effect your trolling motor at all, but it's a good idea to unplug the electric when charging.
Horshak
Posted 6/19/2009 7:38 AM (#82545 - in reply to #82540)

So let me get this straight. In the RUN position the main motor's alternator charges only 1 of the 2 batteries up front. In the JUMP/CHARGE position the main motor charges both batteries up front.
Shep
Posted 6/19/2009 8:06 AM (#82547 - in reply to #82545)

I don't think Steve is saying that. I don't think one TM battery is connected with the cranking battery in the RUN position. That would not be a good thing.

I don't have that panel in my 1890. I made a jumper cable set with the 12V plug that came with the boat. Use that in the rear TM power socket. Must unplug the front TM, or I pop the breakers.

BTW, I have never unplugged my Minn Kota's and never had an issue with them from charging while plugged in.

Edited by Shep 6/19/2009 8:08 AM
sworrall
Posted 6/19/2009 9:10 AM (#82549 - in reply to #82494)

Think of it this way, in the 'charge' position, all three batteries connected together. In the 'run' position, trolling motor batteries get no juice from the outboard and only supply juice to the trolling motor plug.
Horshak
Posted 6/19/2009 11:30 AM (#82554 - in reply to #82494)

Now I got it. If I am making a longer run, I can put the toggle switch to charge and the trolling motor batteries will charge off the main motor while under way. Thanks!
fibtat
Posted 6/19/2009 3:33 PM (#82562 - in reply to #82494)
Subject: RE: Run or charge/jump

Also,I'm not a fan of onboard chargers. I cut the aligator clips off a battery charger and installed a 12v t/m connector. I just plug it into the panel with the switch in the charge/jump position. It works great as long as I remember to use it!
scottp
Posted 6/20/2009 11:56 AM (#82577 - in reply to #82494)

Thanks guys, I think I've got it figured out now.