First tourney in the NY tuffy...
iceman35
Posted 6/22/2009 6:12 AM (#82616)
Subject: First tourney in the NY tuffy...

I took a chance this weekend... After talking with some friends at a wedding they said they were fishing the BFL opener on Champlain... I checked the day and it was a Saturday I could use a vacation day... after thinking about it, along with a bunch of beer, I was gonna go for it... called and entered... no practice but i've been going up there in the spring for years...
So I managed to get done early friday, the Tuffy and Harley, and chris were waiting to hit the road... if all went well, I'd be able to practice for 2 hours... started the 3 hour drive after filling up both... hit traffic and construction... got to the ramp at 3pm and we were ripping up the river at 45 mph! hit some spots quick and had some bites... just what I was looking for... I also skipped an area that with the low water maybe a summer bite would be at hand... we loaded the boat and hit registration... drove to our hotel, about 30 minutes away and I unhooked the boat, sat down for about 5 minutes and turned around for the half hour ride back to the meeting, grabbed a sub to eat while I was gonna be waiting...
met some friends who were fishing their first BFL, got paired with my guy and told him heavy cover, bring the big stuff...
drove back to the hotel with a stomach ache, this sub will haunt me for awhile...
next morning Chris drove me to the ramp, (won't go into detail about the ramp, just plain ugly) met my guy and after I told him to bring heavy stuff, he brought some spinning rods with 12# test... We were boat 16 outa 109 and at 5am we were tearing up the channel... stopped at my first spot, and fished while I bobbed around in 90 boat wakes going by, after 20 minutes it calmed down and the bass were biting... Heavy cover... 20 hits and 3 fish to show for it... missed some nice big ones too... hit 2 other areas and got my limit that was maybe about 12#s...(missed 2 more big ones too) at around 11am, the trolling motor died, after some frantic work and near explosive blood pressure motor would work if I wiggled the plug, plug or inside part was bad... after awhile it just stopped working all together... 2 hours to go and I was left to drift and use the big engine...
hit my summer spot (boat control is a biggy here) culled twice including my biggest bass... came in at 2 and chris was first at the ramp I knew it had beer in it... I'm weighing in and geting out of this place... fish got bagged up and the computers crapped out at the weigh in... sat there for 20 minutes with beer in the truck... weighed in 15-3... hit the road to our hotel, had to fix something cause we had a childrens charity event the next day...
long story short, a bunch of guys at the hotel (they were sober) came to the conclusion the plug recpticle was bad... we wired up the motor for 12 volts and I drank beer till I passed out... next morning I had a brain storm, I have a spare recepticle, its in the back for the rear TM! switched it out in the morning plugged in the motor and shazam! motor still didn't work... with the help of some guys in the morning we came to the conclusion the plug was bad... If I put the plug in part way, the motor worked, If I put in and turned it to lock down, nothing... managed to fish the day...

Steve... send me some plugs...

Lots of comments on the tuffy, many a guy came over and asked about it... it worked great! I really like fishing from it... kinda tough to take when guys are going by 30 mph faster... still fits me well...

22nd place $260... 86 bass boat guys woulda liked to have been in the tuffy...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
sworrall
Posted 6/22/2009 1:03 PM (#82626 - in reply to #82616)
Subject: Re: First tourney in the NY tuffy...

Not bad at all! Open up that plug and see if the 'burn bar' is burnt, that's sort of a last resort fuse in the plug. Then bend out the tabs on the plug so it fits really nice and snug, and see if that fixes the situation. If not send that plug back to Laurie for a replacement.
iceman35
Posted 6/22/2009 2:22 PM (#82632 - in reply to #82616)

Got home with high hopes that i could use the extra plug you gave me to replace it... turns out the plug was a 12 volt plug wouldn't work... I took the plug apart and everything was OK... the burn bar was untouched... nothing fancy in there... screws, metal... all OK... rehooked it up and tried to get it to work... bent this and that... would work when you put the plug in but twist it to lock it and it stops... before you twist it and the TM is running you put some pressure on the plug it loses its connection... now this is after I switched recepticles with the one in the back... I'm stumped... Raining out now so nothing more I can do... may send both plugs and recpticles to you guys for replacement... very wierd problem...
KHedquist
Posted 6/22/2009 2:45 PM (#82633 - in reply to #82632)

Check ALL the screws even on the recepticle, pull it off the side of the boat, the screw on mine came loose similar issue, tightend everything up worked fine, now I check from time to time
iceman35
Posted 6/22/2009 5:52 PM (#82638 - in reply to #82616)

all the screws were tight... I went out in the rain and bent out the prongs... that did the trick... still not a real solid feel to it... but it works... gotta look at neat plug deal they got in BWB... looks solid and simple... thanks for the info, I got it all in my memory banks... If I can only remember how to set the hook right...
iceman35
Posted 6/23/2009 5:41 AM (#82642 - in reply to #82616)

FYI... I noticed when I went out to the boat that when I fold up the trolling motor, the steering cable lays right across the plug... I'm thinking now that may have tweeked the plug some...
had a guy a guy come over to the boat and say wow, look at all the room in this boat! he said is this a 19 footer... no a 17-6... guys also commented on what a nice blue it is...