Rigging for multi-species setups
jerry
Posted 5/10/2010 5:18 PM (#90873)
Subject: Rigging for multi-species setups

I'm in the evaluation stage, trying to figure out which boat will suit me best for the types of fishing I like to do. I want a boat which I can use on the Bay, jig with in rivers, troll cranks on Winnebago, cast shorelines for smallies, and install downriggers on for salmon and trout. Which boat, in your opinion, is most versatile, allows the most space for multi species applications, and is best suited for what I'm looking for? I'm leaning towards five right now: Skeeter zx 2050 or wx 2100, Lund's various deep-v's, Ranger 620/621, Triton 215, or the Tuffy 2060? I'm looking for examples, especially of use on the Great Lakes for salmon/trout trolling. It's my plan to install a downrigger board with mulitple rod holders on this boat and I'll need to install/remove it as needed. Has anyone done anything like this? Pictures of this type of rigging would be great. Thanks!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
fish-n-hunt
Posted 5/10/2010 8:24 PM (#90880 - in reply to #90873)
Subject: Re: Rigging for multi-species setups

I think you would be best suited with the ranger 620.
G3Jimmy
Posted 5/10/2010 8:29 PM (#90881 - in reply to #90873)
Subject: RE: Rigging for multi-species setups

http://www.g3boats.com/AnglerVSeries/V210/
bradley894
Posted 5/11/2010 7:55 AM (#90885 - in reply to #90873)

im not pimping these boats as i do not own one myself. but here is my perspective.. if you can justify the cash. the Ranger 621 is with no question the best over all riding boat. the 620 is nice also but the dif is huge on the bumpy stuff. i could consider the big Skeeter also as you bring up salmon fishing on the great lakes. the ride will keep you dryer! the sides are higher it seem for leaning on the rail with the net. you will get wet on windy days in almost anything but the skeeter is the dryest that i know. with a 21 footer a walk threw full glass is nice because there is room. all the boats you listed will do the job well. but if money is no object considering cost of ownership re-sale and such if im buying id buy the ranger 621. if as much as 50 percent of your time is salmon slamming or you want a higher sided boat id buy the skeeter. agian if someone gave me 50 grand and said pick one out. it a 621 for me. but i think you will hafta shop hard to get one set up for that. big lunds are sweet. big tuffys , big warriors too. there all sweet... my 10 cents after riding in them all pretty much.
Shep
Posted 5/11/2010 8:01 AM (#90886 - in reply to #90881)

I take it your years in the G3 have eliminated that boat from your list?

A good friend down Kenosha way got a Tuffy 2060 last year, and the first thing he did was put some downrigger mounts on it. I think he used the Cannon pedastal in the splashwell area on either side. Come to think of it, he has my Uni-troll downriggers yet! Anyway, he tried my rail mounts for the riggers, and didn't like them, so he got the pedastals. He is truly a multi-species angler, and spends as much time with his boys fishing panfish on small lakes as he does muskies and salmon on the big lakes. Loves his Tuffy 2060. I'll see if I can get some pics of his setup.

There are a lot of choices out there. All good boats, and motors. Pick a dealer you can work with, and that will give you great service. If you are looking at Tuffy, there's a couple guys around here that will offer up a demo ride. Right Ritch?
bradley894
Posted 5/11/2010 8:08 AM (#90887 - in reply to #90873)

one more thing. the only downside to ranger is there limmited dealer locations. service needed on the boats is rare but it can be inconveniant and the shops get busy. the outboard part of it can be taken to a dealer you trust as long as the brand is common for your aria. But the most important is the dealer you chose. set up is important and most of the issues you will face will be riggin so find one a dealer you like. with the money spent on electronics down riggers bowmount kicker motor and all the wireing its nice to have somone that will dig in and find the problem. also you can shop like heck for price but if there is a local dealer thats maybe a bit higher yet you like them .... For goodness sake . give them the job! and the extra couple bucks!
Jayman
Posted 5/11/2010 8:09 AM (#90888 - in reply to #90885)

Jerry, any boat will work, some are better suited for YOUR needs/wants. Not worth the peeing match over whose boat is better.

With that said, as you may know I have the 21MSX, I have a board that I use for salmon fishing, it's the same length as the beam of the boat. I clamp the board to the rails and it has a couple rod holders and 2 downriggers mounted on it. I use my rail mount rod holdrs for dipseys and boards. I generally run 6-8 line spreads with 3 people.

As for the shallow water, I also fish smallies on 'Bago in late summer, it is by far the most under rated fishery out there. Anyone who hates crowds should give Winnebago smallies a go in late summer. It's mostly shoreline fishing and the action can be fast and furious and there's nobody.....I mean nobody out there.

Good Luck
Sunshine
Posted 5/11/2010 8:12 AM (#90889 - in reply to #90887)

What is the price range? That will narrow your search a bit.

Jerry,
This whole conversation just seems weird being generated by you. With all of your experiences and all of the boats you have been in and around, I would think you would be more enlightened on this subject than most.
Taildancer
Posted 5/11/2010 8:28 AM (#90891 - in reply to #90873)

Hey Jerry I know you have your list already but have you thought of the Yar-Crafts? They have some really nice boats in your size range.
proeye
Posted 5/11/2010 9:19 AM (#90895 - in reply to #90891)

G3 advantage 210 is a great boat, it's drier than a ranger, cheaper than a lund , matter of fact at the last boat show,there was a lund park right next to it they looked pretty close to me, actually the workmans ship was better,(fit and finish) and the price was alot cheaper than lund, it has alot of room, easy to fish out of , i had a ranger tired of getting wet, to low of sides when you get caught in big waves, best thing to do is go out and ride each boat, then make your dission, because everyone will say there boat is the greatest, also if it's in your price range,, just my thought (the other postings about G3 are not mine) FISHON GOTTA GO
stacker
Posted 5/11/2010 9:22 AM (#90896 - in reply to #90891)

The layout I would be looking for is simple. I would be looking for a boat that was open to the side of the boat as far back as possible. Meaning, my toes are against or darn near against the side of the boat. I would not want the Ranger with the side compartments that extend to the front of the boat along the gunwales. The easy answer? I would not want to be as old as jerry, kneeling on the storage compartments with 6 inches of side wall above them, reaching out over 6ft rollers trying to grab a ball to attach my line. Simple as that. Also I would not want my kids doing that either. If you think the 621 is the best ride Bradley, you need to ask for a ride in some other boats man.

But then again, Jerry should know what a G-3 can do

Edited by stacker 5/11/2010 9:25 AM
bagz
Posted 5/11/2010 9:34 AM (#90897 - in reply to #90896)

I agree with stacker on this one. I fished in a ranger once and spent the day standing on the storage box's working the rods. Not where I would want to be fishing salmon on Lake Michigan.
um...
Posted 5/11/2010 10:40 AM (#90901 - in reply to #90895)

proeye - 5/11/2010 9:19 AM

G3 advantage 210 is a great boat, it's drier than a ranger, cheaper than a lund , matter of fact at the last boat show,there was a lund park right next to it they looked pretty close to me, actually the workmans ship was better,(fit and finish) and the price was alot cheaper than lund, it has alot of room, easy to fish out of , i had a ranger tired of getting wet, to low of sides when you get caught in big waves, best thing to do is go out and ride each boat, then make your dission, because everyone will say there boat is the greatest, also if it's in your price range,, just my thought (the other postings about G3 are not mine) FISHON GOTTA GO

Arn't you running Jerry's old boat ?
jerry
Posted 5/11/2010 10:43 AM (#90902 - in reply to #90897)

Dennis,

I agree, I've been in most and I have my preferences. I guess I could've worded this better.

What I'm looking for most are pictures/examples of various riggings, specifically, with downriggers, as I'm looking for something I can install in one of these boats that is easy to install and remove, plus gives the fisherman room to manuever. I'm also looking for ideas......how to rig a good downrigger/wire line/leadcore/dipsey board on a boat. One of the issues I had with doing this in past boats was I found these boards to be clumpsy to work around. I want something that's raised so I can get at the motors as I need to instead of diving over and laying atop of a board that's difficult to work around.

As it stand now, I am leaning towards the Skeeter zx 2050 or the Ranger 621. I almost bought a zx2050 a few weeks ago but it was sold before I could see it. I am looking to buy a used boat, as I cannot stomach the idea of putting $45-60K out for a new boat. My price range $20-35K.

Thanks for the help folks.....keep the ideas coming!!

Edited by jerry 5/11/2010 10:50 AM
Sunshine
Posted 5/11/2010 10:59 AM (#90903 - in reply to #90902)

Jerry:

Thanks for the clarification. It makes a lot more sense to me now. On past boats I installed the locking base (hopefully picture attached) for cannon downriggers and was extremely happy with its performance. if you wanted or needed additional height the enclosed pedestals could be added. On my Pro V - Lund's, the pedestal was not needed.

I agree with the comments made by Stacker. None of us are getting any younger and the lack of deep sides would be a concern for me if I did a lot of trout and salmon. 

I'm hoping that Larry is monitoring this thread and chimes in with his ideas. He has his captain's  license and does trout and salmon trips quite often. I know that he is very happy with his boat and the layout for doing this kind of fishing.  he has a Triton I believe.

I think that you would be very happy with the Skeeter. I looked at that boat long and hard prior to going with Lund. If they could have offered more on the sponsorship side, I would have taken the boat in a heart beat.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(base.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments base.jpg (31KB - 574 downloads)
Shep
Posted 5/11/2010 11:31 AM (#90904 - in reply to #90903)

Here is how I had my Lund set up. This would work on a lot of boats. Anchor down on the rails, or the cleats, if you don't have room for the mounts I used.

(Salmon1st.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Salmon1st.jpg (181KB - 4424 downloads)
Grouse
Posted 5/11/2010 12:09 PM (#90906 - in reply to #90873)

I went through this same thought process a few years ago for the ultimate multi-species boat I live in kewaunee so fishing the big lake is important, they bay is next and I grew up in northern wisconsin so fishing a lot of inland waters is also important and with two little girls panfishing comes into play on some of the real skinny lakes where the landings aren't the best. I ended up with a 620 would have liked the 621 but couldn't justify the additional cost and I love it for everything I do, the one draw back is the storage in the rear when trolling but I do like the storage for equipment when traveling. My next choice would be the tuffy 2060 for that reason. I went from a triton to the ranger because of the quality of workmanship. Good Luck with your search Lots of different ideas of how to mount the downriggers. I personally like the pedastals
proeye
Posted 5/11/2010 4:36 PM (#90913 - in reply to #90901)

Dear um no my boat is not jerry's And i get a new one each year (THANK YOU VERY MUCH) AND NEXT YEAR I WILL HAVE A DIFFERENT ONE WITH A NEW WRAP. FISHON GOTTA GO
proeye
Posted 5/11/2010 4:44 PM (#90914 - in reply to #90913)

JERRY JUST GO AND GET YOUR SELF A NICE BIG GLASS BOAT . WITH A CUDDY CABIN, HEY ARE YOU GOING TO FISH ANY TOURNAMENTS OR YOU ALL DONE WITH THEM? O BY THE G3 MIGHT BE COMMING OUT A NEW 20' JUST LIKE THE NEW 18' THAT CAME OUT THIS YEAR.
tyee
Posted 5/11/2010 4:45 PM (#90915 - in reply to #90873)

Jerry,

As you know I have been running an older Tyee for some time. and quite frankly the ONLY reason I have not gone to a larger boat with bigger hp is because this is big enough for me. I think I would love a 620 or 2060 if money was of NO concern...I have been in many of them, but have found over the years that the bigger the motor the farther I want to go which of course costs more. Being an independant businessman I find it silly to spend that kind of cash. and seeing that you live on the big lake I would invest in a 24'/25' lake boat as that is where you will probably spend most of your time.....Now the best part is you want to fish Bago, the bay, fox, wolf and maybe a lake or two up nort...I'd get an additional 18' Lund Alaskan with the a 60-90 hp. Rig it for boards and best of all you can get both of these rigs for the price it will cost you to run what you listed above. Taking downriggers on and off will NOT happen after the first year so take it out of the solutions. Mine have never left my Tyee in 15 years quick release brackets are the best and the green treated carpeted boards that they and the rod holders mount on have been on there since day one.....By the way my Tyee is up for sale and would consider trades on a nice 18' Alaskan if you know where i could find one!

Good Luck
Tyee

Good Luck
Tyee
Skeeter Jones
Posted 5/11/2010 4:48 PM (#90916 - in reply to #90906)

I fish the same waters and have the same wants in a boat. I'm not sure how to upload pictures, but I mounted Cannon Side Mounts directly to my gunwhale and put tab lock bases on top for easy removal. I felt that was a little bulky for the 80% of my time when I wasn't using downriggers so I then mounted a custom-made plate in the same verticle position with tapped holes that I screw the Side Mount to when I hit the big pond. Now, I have a small rectangular aluminum plate that sits on the verticle wall of my gunwhale about where my splashwell starts when I don't need downriggers. Almost unnoticable. Mounting is as simple as screwing in 4 bolts.

Personally, I really don't like the 'board across the back' trick. It makes it tough to net fish and in my opinon just gets in the way.

As far as boats, I think you've put togther a list of the best multispecies boats for the great lakes area. Good enough for Michigan/Superior/Erie/etc on most days (not counting the days even the charters cancel) yet small enough to fish a lot of smaller lakes and rivers for panfish, bass, musky, etc. In my opinion, none of them make it EASY to solidly mount downriggers, but it's doable. Pedestal mounts in the splashwell or side mounts like described above work well... just requires some time and $. If I were you, I'd go with the Skeeter for the higher sides. The Rangers are awesome, but a little more scary on Michigan for the reasons mentioned above. Less likely to spear a wave in the Skeeter too.
K Gonefishin
Posted 5/12/2010 1:00 PM (#90941 - in reply to #90873)

I won't comment on some of the other comments made in prior threads because some are just laughable. I think most can see which ones they are pretty easiely.

I'm a multi species angler myself fishing Erie 90% of the time and lake ontario the other 10% salmon fishing, troller exclusively. I have my 621 rigged to the max and it does a fine job and for my likens and many other Ranger owners once you have the side compartments for ease of storage/rigging you won't be able to live without them I can fit everything I need in my boat for any type of fishing without ever having to take stuff in and out of my boat because it all actually fits. In other boats they just flat out don't have the amount of storage. For boats that don't have side bins you end up putting boxes or bags your using on the floor then you end up tripping over them while fishing which i hate doing, I do this when on friends boats. While riggin flasher fly's, inline weights, blades & spinners, opening crank boxes you can rig whatever you want and sit on the side bins and not be in another guys way in a Ranger, with two other anglers sitting in the front two seats or have two guys in the back sitting or standing and two near the consoles plenty of room for 4 guys to walleye or salmon fish with ease even if they are big fellas which me and alot of my crew are.

On my 621 I have 6 inch tracks mounted on the rear corners with backing plates underneath with Vector riggers sitting ontop 6 inch cannon swivel pedestals, my friend made me 2 additional mounts with thumb screws so when I want to put my cover on I unscrew 4 thumb screws set my riggers on my side compartments leave the pedestals in the track and put my cover on. The electrics are wired one per side my boat is an 08 so the batteries are still in the side 2 bins not in the floor so the wiring was a snap. On Rails I have Cisco triples and single cradles, I run inline boards off the tubes and wire divers off the cradles or off the duel vector holders on the rigger rod holders.

If you have any questions let me know. I don't think you can go wrong with the Skeeter or any other top made glass boat but IMO nothing like the fit finish and functionality of a Ranger.

Email me for tons of pics, I have shots of everything rigged for walleye and salmon and in action so you can see how I did it. here's one.

(100_0585.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 100_0585.JPG (125KB - 2633 downloads)
iceman35
Posted 5/12/2010 6:16 PM (#90951 - in reply to #90873)

Tuffy offers a wide open layout and the optional rear deck is a good choice for bass fishing... my 1760 is a great multi species boat in a smaller package. I can't comment about downrigger mounts but tons of mounting options out there...
Good luck in your search... hint... check the classifieds at different online boat sales for pics of different rigging... was a few 2060's in the clasifieds here...
stacker
Posted 5/12/2010 6:23 PM (#90952 - in reply to #90941)

Thanks for the picture kgonefishing, That is exactly what I meant when I said that you would have to kneel down to set a rigger. I guess it would be OK if I was younger.
budsbud66
Posted 5/12/2010 7:35 PM (#90953 - in reply to #90952)

219TFX takes my vote. I don't wanna get into anything.. but Yar-Craft has always made one of the best built boats on the market! I don't think many could disagree.
buckmyster
Posted 5/12/2010 9:30 PM (#90956 - in reply to #90873)

i own a tuffy 1760. i live in mi. on the leelanau penn. surrounded by lake mi. i go 13 miles out in no bigger than 3 to 4's for salmon and yes i get wet when crosswinding waves. unless you have a 26'ter, so are you. never been scared in it though. the larger tuffy's seem to have to big of a front deck which means limited space in back for trolling. the ranger has the storage decks going on. the lund when you stand up my knees are already above the gunwhales so your half way out already, and i'm short!! i'd look at the skeeters or a large tiller. huge area with same hulls and unless your tourn. fishing it's not about speed. i think tritons have the storage decks like the rangers. there isn't a perfect boat out there i don't think.
hgmeyer
Posted 5/12/2010 10:01 PM (#90957 - in reply to #90873)

Fastest, driest and smoothest... Triton (IMO). Don't own one but would be myu first choice. Second, would be a Tuffy, then Yarcraft. I kniow about the convenience of the Ranger storage boxes but I want that higher side and knees up against the sides in rough water while netting/reeling (The Triton is similar but the storage area "seems" smaller/narrower so you can still get up against the sides in the middle of the boat)...

Edited by hgmeyer 5/12/2010 10:08 PM
Gings
Posted 5/12/2010 11:07 PM (#90959 - in reply to #90953)

I think the floors in a Lund are a few inches higher and I hit my knees/shins on the inside gunnel and it kinda feels like you could fall out a LITTLE easier. Rangers are known for spearing waves. The rest are all excellent options IMO. For rigging, it depends upon the boat. If you want to go the cheap route, go to Home Depot and buy 2 threaded nipples & 4 bases, maybe $10 - $15. You can get 4 inchers up to 12" are stock, but you can cut and thread them to whatever height you want. You don't have to bend over too far if you go higher, although higher = more torque. Mount the base to the boat where you want it, and when you don't want it, unscrew it and your done, it takes literally 5 seconds. Mount the other base to the top and bolt your downrigger or swivel to that. You can mount one base on the port and starboard side and get a plank to span across the back, but I would not suggest that for two reasons:

1) it is a PITA and you can't get to your motors like you wanted, it also makes netting more challenging.
2) I'd suggest only getting two downriggers, and mounting one off each rear corner on its own pedestal or track. The days of running 4 riggers off a 20 footer with a 100" beam are nearing their end, with water clarity and the production you get from leadcore, copper, & stealth tactics, etc. 4 downriggers are just not the way to go anymore (except at dawn and dusk and around the harbor during "combat" fishing in the fall. Plus, you can stack or use sliders on the ones you do have.

OR, you can spend the money and get a track system. Works the same, but looks better. Great Lakes Angler, (GLangler.com) has TONS of info on this subject.
Shep
Posted 5/13/2010 8:16 AM (#90971 - in reply to #90959)

If you are a true multi-spieces angler, I don't care what boat you have. You simply cannot put all your gear in your storage. I fish walleyes, muskies, salmon, and panfish. Even if I had a boat with the big side storage bins in the rear, I wouldn't have enough storage for all my gear to cover all my angling. Saying you have room for everything is bull. As for using bags or tackle boxes? I usually have a couple with me for each type of fish I'm after that day. I just move them from rear to front when I shut the big motor down, and vice-versa before I take off. Takes but a few seconds, and I don't think I have ever tripped over them. I've also been in lot's of Rangers where the owner has bags and tackle boxes, too.

People talk about the Lund aluminum boat floors being a couple inches higher. Higher than what? If you measure them, the floor to the gunnels is more than the floor to the top of the storage bins on a Ranger or Triton. Also, there is more floorspace in a Tuffy, Lund, Skeeter, or Yar-Craft, than there is in a Ranger or Triton. Those side stroage bins in the back are knee killers in 4+ footers. I've been in them in those conditions many times, and it is the most uncomfortable boat to fish out of.

As far as the board across the back? It's cheap, is easy to put on and remove, and store. Depending on how often you get out, it is a good option on some boats. Like the Lunds with the high floors, it's not too high to step over to net fish.

I agree with the track systems, if you have the money to spend on them. If you're doing a lot of switching, they are probably the best option, and the most versatile for rigging for different spieces. Bert's, Tite-lok, etc. There are several out there.
JST FISH
Posted 5/13/2010 9:00 AM (#90975 - in reply to #90873)

I have just skimmed threw this forum as I am leaving for Bay City, the number one reason I run a Ranger is Wendy and her staff. I have had many problems solved in the parking lot by her techs. I could go on and on abouit storage, ride etc. But service and getting a helping hand haven't found a dealer better... John Schneider
Almost-B-Good
Posted 5/13/2010 12:09 PM (#90980 - in reply to #90902)

I had my old Alumacraft 185 Competitor set up for the big lake salmon and trout fishing and it was great for walleyes and good for muskies too. This boat has a very large rear deck area with the console more forward than others. That translates into fishing room for runnng riggers, netting and setting rods. It was like a dance hall in the back and that is what you want. Room up front is OK for running the boards, but not needed that much for anything else.

I mounted two Big Johns straight back over the stern, permanently attached to the gunnels and had ball cradles on the corners for them. The riggers came off the plates easily leaving only the flush plate, nothing that would be in the way. I ran Rivieras up from the Big Johns about 3 feet ahead of them with Cannon ball retievers on the cables. I put on 6 foot booms, milled 18" risers to set at a 45 degree angle, not just 90's and swing over the tops of the Big Johns. That way I had a good wide spread on the four riggers with the boom ends all in a row so I could make some serious turns if nescessary.

Had four tube rod holders on the insides boplted together at a forward facing angle so I could run four dipsey rods. Had rod holders screwed to the gunnels up and down the sides for board rods.

I had the trolling motor on a slide bracket so I could remove it. I bought another trolling motor base casting, bolted on a 4 X 8 block of wood drilled for 3" PVC and slid it into the trolling motor bracket. I had a 10' PVC mast with reels on the sides that worked my wooden double boards. I could run the boards 125 out on each side no problem with the ability to run up to 4 board lines on each side. All in all I could have set 16 lines and had them all functional without double stacking or running sliders.

Best part was the Bystrom holders, Rivieras and Big Johns all were attached to flush mount plates. I could add them or remove them as needed for whatever I fished for. I added plastic holders too for walleye rods and even then the boat was clean. There is no way a glass boat with curved gunnels and goofy stern lines (Ranger) gives you the ability to do all that. That Alumacraft was the best option. That was a 1991 rig and I used it for 17 seasons before I let my friends' son buy it from me when I gave up Lake Michigan fishing. It is still one heck of a fishing rig for big water. If you want some pictures, I might have some I could hunt up.

I
buckmyster
Posted 5/13/2010 2:27 PM (#90989 - in reply to #90873)

i almost forgot. i run 4 downriggers from my 1760. the two on the very back cormers are pointing out very slightly and i set them no deeper than 60 ft. down. the other two are on swivel mounts have way in the middle of the boat and they have 4 ft. arms. set them strait out and these run no shallower than 70 ft. my boat is only 84" wide and i don't get tangled. no hair pin turns but i can turn to net a fish on the inside.