Live by the Swede/Then die by the Swede.
walleye express
Posted 3/10/2005 7:38 PM (#29432)
Subject: Live by the Swede/Then die by the Swede.

O.K.

Was on the Bay tonight with a friend. Fished from about 3:30pm to 6:10pm. I went 3 for 5 using what I usually personally consider a bad choice for the Bay, that is a Fire Tiger #7 Jigging Rapala. River yes/Bay no. Compound that with the way I had it rigged, and it's really out of character for yours truly. I was using a whole minnow hooked through the head at the Raps belly hook, and had a stinger attached from the belly hook to the minnow tail. My buddy was using a Big White Swedish Pimple and would not change to what I was using, so he got the skunk. Why I was using this is another story in itself.

You guys know that I'm pretty good about sharing info. Not particular spots mind you, but some good stuff regardless. Well,.....I've been kinda holding out for the last few days. Only because my buddy swore me to secrecy. But after my trip on Saturday on the Tittabawassee, I/we hit the Bay Sunday afternoon and spanked the eyes. All of the 13 we landed were caught on the Fire Tiger Rap, rigged the way I did it tonight. It seems finally the spawning transition has started.

One more thing. The Bays travel conditions tonight were what I'd call great and terrible in the same breathe. It was like traveling on broken concrete. No snow to speak of and everything frozen into the lumpy ruts and broken layers that were made over the last warm weekend. If you went fast you risked breaking something. Snowmobiles will take the worse beating if we don't get some snow. Pictures below.

Edited by walleye express 3/10/2005 7:41 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IM000853.JPG)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Image012.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IM000853.JPG (71KB - 96 downloads)
Attachments Image012.jpg (82KB - 108 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
butch
Posted 3/10/2005 10:24 PM (#29443 - in reply to #29432)
Subject: RE: Live by the Swede/Then die by the Swede.

It must be nice to live in an area that will allow you to put your boat in the river and then ice fish on the bay all in the same day. With Walleye season closed in th U.P. you really have me thinking about moveing down to join the rest of you trolls. lol
frozenbeer
Posted 3/10/2005 11:07 PM (#29444 - in reply to #29432)

Cap'n Dan, I got an even stranger one for you.  2 weekends ago I caught a hog out on the Bay that Keith Lutz (Captured Memories Taxidermy) has in his freezer at the moment.  As I'm kind of new to the sport, just about once a week I head up to Frank's on a weekday with my 4 yr. old just to buy a couple of new lures.  I even let him pick one out every now and then give it a try on the weekend.  My whole point to this excercise is to get a decent box full of lures going, and start getting my son warmed up to the whole idea of ice fishing.  Anyway, to make a long story shorter, way on the end of the back shelf I spotted this ugly looking Cicada thing a couple of weeks ago.  It was just wrong ya know?  For one it was gold, it was a bit on the heavy side, and it just didn't look like the kind of lure you could catch a Saginaw Bay walleye on.  A very long cry from a white and green Do-Jigger.  So I did what every stupid rookie would do and bought it anyway.  When I got home that night I started looking at it and wondered how the heck I was gonna bait the bugger.  I mean it had one 2 hook treble thing hanging from the body, and another hanging from the tip of it's big ugly wing at a higher level.  I scratched my head for awhile and threw it in my box with a bunch of other stuff I thought I'd never use.  The next day, after a sloooooow day on the Bay, I said what the heck and put it on.  For bait I went for broke and put a half a minnow on the lower "belly" hook and I stuck one of these rubber perch eyes I bought a year ago and figured I'd never use on the "wing" hook.  I stuck the eye on backwards thinking if anything tried to sneak up from behind it'd have a big googly eye staring right at it.  This rig had a better chance of scaring fish away from the immediate area than anything.  It was just that ugly.  I jigged it with medium intensity for about 10 minutes next to a great big, brand new Rattlesnake I bought at the same time, when all hell broke loose.  The result was a lunker just shy of 11 pounds and 31-1/2" long.  The moral to this story is it pays to experiment and it's worth a shot to try something different every now and then.  My fishing buddy quit chuckling at my setup when he helped me haul the fish in (wink).
eyellaw
Posted 3/10/2005 11:38 PM (#29445 - in reply to #29432)

Dan that set up you are talking about is the one me and a buddy have been useing all year on the bay it has taken proboly 90% of our fish the other color is the old orange and gold rigged the same way
walleye express
Posted 3/11/2005 2:56 AM (#29446 - in reply to #29443)

butch - 3/10/2005 11:24 PM

It must be nice to live in an area that will allow you to put your boat in the river and then ice fish on the bay all in the same day. With Walleye season closed in th U.P. you really have me thinking about moveing down to join the rest of you trolls. lol

Butch.

Two years ago me and my bud were trolling along next to the ice pack with his Lund, while guys were ice fishing on the ice 30 feet away. Now thats a picture.

And Eyellaw, I know it's a popular technique, but man I hate it when the stinger gets caught on eveything when your jigging it.

And frozenbeer.
A lot of times, it's the off the wall stuff (pun intended) that will make em go on slow days.

Edited by walleye express 3/11/2005 3:01 AM