Battery Charger Repairs
Shadman
Posted 3/8/2006 1:24 PM (#40539)
Subject: Battery Charger Repairs

Hi again everyone, been sometime since I posted on the site that I forgot my password Been involved heavily with Cub Scouts and Boys Scouts these last couple years that it has affected my fishing a little more than I liked, but my son is what came first! Anyway back to my original request from you guys. My onboard dual bank charger is only charging on one side, the other bank does not appear to be charging. So I have no clue on where to go to get this fixed? My last unit was a sealed unit and could not be repaired. I said the second unit I buy will be able to be worked on, alot of good that does if you do not know where to take it to get it fixed. It is about 4 years old now and I bought it from Bass Pro. Thanks for your suggestions in advanced!!
Al Kunda
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Shadman
Posted 3/8/2006 1:26 PM (#40541 - in reply to #40539)
Subject: RE: Battery Charger Repairs

Forgot to say that the Milwaukee/Racine area would be my first choice to have work done on the unit.
Thanks!
Al
Shep
Posted 3/8/2006 1:28 PM (#40542 - in reply to #40539)

Al,

Is there a brand name with the unit? A model number would help, if it was a BP brand labeled unit. I think a redio or electronic repair shop could repair it, if they could get a schematic from the manufacturer.

You might just try calling Ed Schilling in West Allis. He's the Minn Kota certified Service Center down there. He's pretty sharp on electronics. He's in the phone book, I believe. Otherwise, Minn Kota should have his number.

Edited by Shep 3/8/2006 1:30 PM
Horshak
Posted 3/8/2006 2:19 PM (#40544 - in reply to #40539)

Shadman, before you spend any money, check to see if there is an in line fuse or circuit breaker. Check the fuse, if equipped with one, with a multimeter to see if it is bad. If it is equipped with an in line circuit breaker, sometimes a little rectangular box, look and see if there is a small reset button on it and press it. If this doesn't work, take it in. Good Luck and hope this helps.
Sunshine
Posted 3/8/2006 3:22 PM (#40551 - in reply to #40539)

Just for fun, change the connections for each battery. In other words, put battery charger bank one on bank 2 battery, and then hook up bank two to bank one battery. What does the charger do?

Dale
Posted 3/9/2006 8:07 AM (#40608 - in reply to #40539)

Dennis might be on to something. It could be that the battery that isn't charging could be too low to accept a charge. Sometimes you have to put a regular charger on a dead battery for an hour or so. After that, your on-board charger will do the job. Good Luck.