what brands of line on what type of reel
butch
Posted 3/15/2006 7:47 AM (#40912)
Subject: what brands of line on what type of reel

I am interested in seeing what brands and types of line are being used on the difrent kinds of reels, and the Techniques they are used for?

line counter?

spinning?

bait caster?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
hgmeyer_unlogged
Posted 3/15/2006 8:23 AM (#40914 - in reply to #40912)
Subject: RE: what brands of line on what type of reel

I use 10ld Trilene XT on my linecounters for pulling cranks on boards and for crawler harnesses... 20lb fireline for river three ways... 8 lb Fireline for jigging w/flourocarbon leader 8lb Trilene for Walleye rods slip bobbers... 14 lb Firline for Baitcasters...
reels
Posted 3/15/2006 9:06 AM (#40918 - in reply to #40912)

I keep trying lines, but keep going back to trilene XT for mono aplications. I like trying the superlines and gain more confidence every year with them. Mostly the colored chartrouse lines lately. I like seeing the bite before feeling it sometimes in the dirty water here on the Mississippi.
Terry/JNR
Posted 3/15/2006 9:16 PM (#40960 - in reply to #40912)

I'm guessing at time frames. Some was a lot of years ago. After trying just about every mono on the market for a lot of years, I'd say in the late 80s I found Bagleys Siver Thread. I liked it so after using it on a few reels, I put it on all of my reels. Spinning for use with jigs. Baitcast for casting and trolling crank baits and flipping reels that I used for both casting and trolling crawler harnesses. All of my reels for over 25 years have been Shimano and still are. Super Silver Thread came along with it's smaller diamiter and better strength, so that went on all of my reels. I used that for many years. It's still the mono I would use if money was on the line.
Then sometime in the early 90s, I think, I started trying the new "Super Lines". Fire line and Spider Wire were the 2 most common at the time. I know I tried some of the other ones whos brands I don't remember. Obviously only tried them once. I gave Fire Line a good shot, lots of good reviews on it, but did'nt like it then and don't like it now. Went to all Spider Wire after a couple of years and used that for quite a while, again on all of my reels. Power Pro came out and I looked at it for a while. Figured a cheap imitation of Spider Wire. However, I gave it a shot. I liked it, so now all of my reels have Power Pro on them. From my Shimano Stradics on Fig Rig medium light rods for tossing light jigs or verticle jigging in windy conditions, with 1/5 Power Pro. My Symetry rear drags for verticle jigging with 1/4 oz or bigger jigs on 7' medium Fig Rig Rods, with 2/10 Power Pro to my Calcuttas and Curados on Medium heavy 7' and medium 7'6" fast taper Fig Rig rods (excellent accuracy around wood & structure) for casting crank baits (my favorite way to fish eyes) to trolling cranks and crawler harnesses, with 6/20 Power Pro. In ginn clear water, I'll use a short mono leader, (Super Silver Thread), but I'm still not convinced that it's needed. The leader always breaks off on a snag and half of the time I'll retie straight to the Power Pro and for my money, there isn't a difference in the catch rate.
Even my muskie rods sport 50 lb, 65 lb and 80 lb Power Pro on Calcutta 400s, Calais 300 and Coriolis 300 and of course on Fig Rig Medium Heavy rods in 8', 7'6" and 7' and a Medium 8' with a Calcutta 400 with 50 lb for throwing most spinners.
I use Shimano and Eagle Claw 8' & 9' with a couple of different Shimano Triton reels and 8/30 for dragging inline planer boards. I tried my Fig Rig 8' medium last season and it worked really well. I'll probally get a couple more for boards and of course try a couple of Fig Rigs new trolling rods when they come out. Took me quite a while to find line clips that would hold on The Power Pro, though.
That about covers it for my rod, reel & line combos. I only use what works for me no matter the cost (big or small). Fig Rig Rods, Shimano Reels and Power Pro line.