St. Croix Rod?
bagowalleyeguy
Posted 3/16/2006 1:53 PM (#40995)
Subject: St. Croix Rod?

Hey guys, I was just wonderiing if buying a St. Croix rod is worth the money. My buddy lost my pole in the drink at Depere the other day so I am buying a new pole. I plan on getting another Plfueger President Reel, but was wondering if I should spend the extra money to get a St. Crox, or if I should stick with the Guide Series IM-8. Also, do you prefer a 6.5' or 7' rod when mainly jigging? I appreciate the suggestions! Lance
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tommy Kemos
Posted 3/16/2006 4:58 PM (#41009 - in reply to #40995)
Subject: RE: St. Croix Rod?

Check out the Legend Tournament Walleye rods from St.Croix. The Jig-n-Rig model TWS66MLF is an awesome all around Walleye stick. It comes with a lifetime limited warranty. The Avid and Premier line are less expensive, but also have unmatched build quality. The Avid model AS66MLF or Premier PS66MLF.
Mattman
Posted 3/17/2006 6:08 AM (#41034 - in reply to #40995)

St. Croix makes very good rods. Right now I think they are the leaders in technology here in the US. St. Croix is probably the rod I build the most.

For Walleye jig fishing my most popular St. Croix model is probably the 66MLF. Pick your graphite. I've done a lot of Avids and a lot of Legend Elites. Not so many Legend Tournaments. But then again they haven't been out for all that long.

I'm not such a fan of the Premiers. Little to "clubby" for my liking when it comes to jig fishing. The Avid isn't that much of a step up in dollars and you get a much better rod in my opinion, and warranty.
reels
Posted 3/17/2006 6:23 AM (#41035 - in reply to #40995)

You can't go wrong with any of the St. Croix sticks. Although I have Legends and Avids, I think the Premier is a great stick for the money.

Edited by reels 3/17/2006 8:41 PM
Beaver
Posted 3/18/2006 4:08 PM (#41125 - in reply to #40995)

You can spend as much or as little as you want, depending on the model, but you won't get a bad stick from St Croix.
Made in the USA. Great customer service, and a vast array of styles in power and action.
I don't have any rods under 7", because the advances that were made over the last few years have produced longer rods that have awesome actions and powers without adding a lot of weight. Longer rods with fast tips will give you better hooksets because you are moving more line with less effort.
Go St Croix, you won't regret it.
Beaver
otwadoug
Posted 3/19/2006 10:15 AM (#41170 - in reply to #40995)

For jigging I like the 6'9" MLXF rods in either Avid or Tourney editions. Both lines are superior rods, but I do like the Legend Tourney series more. I have four of the AS69MLXF, the best all-around rod I have used. Doug
Jim Ordway
Posted 3/19/2006 9:57 PM (#41209 - in reply to #40995)

I too am a St Croix fan and I buy my own rods, no sponsorship (darn)
Gander Mtn and other shops handle these rods. Go into the store and get a feel for them. You will best be able to determine what level and expense of rod most suits you.
Take care,
Jim O
SLIPKNOT
Posted 3/20/2006 10:56 AM (#41234 - in reply to #40995)

Lance, don't get a st croix, check out the gander mountain series rod that is grey, 6'6" ML. That thing is the cats meow.
bagz
Posted 3/20/2006 11:06 AM (#41236 - in reply to #40995)

I noticed in a publication over the weekend that St. Croix will be making a new series of models in the $60.00 dollar range for the budget minded individuals. Might be worth a look.
Mattman
Posted 3/21/2006 5:43 AM (#41269 - in reply to #41236)

bagz - 3/20/2006 11:06 AM

I noticed in a publication over the weekend that St. Croix will be making a new series of models in the $60.00 dollar range for the budget minded individuals. Might be worth a look.

St. Croix has a line of rods (Triumph) that are made overseas. Asia I believe.
MnWalleyeGuy
Posted 3/22/2006 4:27 PM (#41375 - in reply to #40995)

Give me a Fenwick TechnaAV anyday.
Shep
Posted 3/22/2006 6:15 PM (#41382 - in reply to #41375)

If you've not used a Fig Rig rod yet, do yourself a favor. Find somebody that has one, and ask to try it out. Great rods, at a very good price. I know Gander in Appleton carries them, and hopefully Dutch's in Fond du Lac soon will have them. I used St Croix's for many years, but after using my Fig Rig Toothtamers for the past two years for muskie fishing, I sold my St Croix's and now have only Fig Rigs, including jig sticks and rigging rods for eye fishing.