Anchor rope ? Anchoring techniques ?
Basscaster
Posted 3/20/2006 4:29 AM (#41215)
Subject: Anchor rope ? Anchoring techniques ?

I just bought a 22# Richter anchor. What kind and diameter anchor rope should I get ? Would 100 feetof rope be enough? I don't see myself anchoring in over 30 feet of water, probably 20 feet or less. I also have a 3 ft. chain on the anchor- Is this enough ? I have seen guys use a rope from the back cleat to the front cleat and tie the anchor to this rope. Is this the best way to anchor in a Lake. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks and have a Big Fish 2006. Any good books on the science of Anchoring ? Roy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
manitobawalleye
Posted 3/20/2006 5:29 AM (#41216 - in reply to #41215)
Subject: RE: Anchor rope ? Anchoring techniques ?

heres a discussion on anchoring
http://www.walleyecentral.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=14...
eyegobye
Posted 3/20/2006 5:50 AM (#41217 - in reply to #41215)

There's a book called "Chapman Piloting, Seamanship & Boat Handling". That covers anchoring, as well as most other things you need to know about safely operating a boat. Boat US, West Marine, places like that usually carry it. It's also available from many on-line vendors.

Very good reference book to keep around and consult with questions like that.

eyegobye
Basscaster
Posted 3/20/2006 3:42 PM (#41251 - in reply to #41215)

That's exactly the info I was looking for. I think I will get some 3/8 nylon rope.Have a safe season. Roy
Jim Ordway
Posted 3/22/2006 3:05 PM (#41369 - in reply to #41215)

Besides the strenth of the line, consider what feels most comfortable in your hand as you haul it in. Too small line diameter decreases you leverage. Your 3/8 may be fine, just making the suggestion.
Take care,
Jim O
WarrenMN
Posted 3/22/2006 5:49 PM (#41379 - in reply to #41215)

Doing maps for Bruce Samson I've gone out prefishing with him a number of times. I'll tell you what, pulling up anchors, which he , and that meant me, does many times a day, I found that wide rope he uses, 5/8 soft what ever its made of, is the only way to go. I learned some thing else from Bruce and that is anchors are like wrenches, right tool for the right job. Don't expect one type of anchor to work for all conditions.

The other thing was the ropes are long, 150 feet I think, so that he could tie off for any depth and with a long rope in shallow water he covered ground by simply tieing off to different points on the boat. The bow of course kept it in line with the wind from the anchor point, but moving to a new point down either side of the boat made it move to the side. How much depended on far back the tie off was. Kind of like a skier. Ask some one else that has his boat control video and I bet they tell you the same thing.
Bruce has his line stored in a bag so it won't tangle. My boat being for mapping I'm going to try some thing different this summer. I'm going to take a small laundry detergent bottle, fill it with foam and epoxy it to the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket so it floats should it ever get pulled or dropped over board. Then I'm going to connect the end of 150' 5/8 to the handle on the detergent bottle and see if that much loose line will go into the bucket. I'll likely drill some holes in the bottom of the 5 gallon to make sure the water drains out. Then I can stow it when not in use and pulling it in, hopefully right into the bucket.
I may also pick up another small anchor or make coffee can anchor, that won't catch on any thing, so if the weather is bad I can let out a bunch of line, push a loop of line thru the eyelet and slip over the anchor then let out some more line so that anchor will rise and fall with the waves keeping the line from going straight out with no flex.
Just a thought
WarrenMN

Edited by WarrenMN 3/22/2006 5:56 PM
WarrenMN
Posted 3/22/2006 7:07 PM (#41384 - in reply to #41215)

I talked to Bruce and he uses a 1/2 inch, my mistake and the video I mentioned is the Boat Control Video he sells on http://www.hightechfishing.com/ I picked up a bunch of good tips from it.
WarrenMN

Edited by WarrenMN 3/22/2006 7:13 PM
Capt D
Posted 3/26/2006 8:58 AM (#41490 - in reply to #41215)

New User

A anchor is one of the most important items on a boat. You can't go wrong with too much line, I forgot the exact formula but 2 x depth . 10' of water 20'f line, distance between anchor and boat is called the scope. The chain is for coral or rocks, but lays down the line for the anchor to dig in so keep it on. Please never throw a anchor out from the boat , just let it in the water gently. I have a "D Ring on the front of my boat, where the trailer hooks up too and run my anchor line through there to keep the nose of my boat in the wind or current, less chance to break free. Then if necessary drop a rear smaller anchor to avoid "swing". If your motor ever quits out remember to get that anchor out fast, oh ya , First thing you do when you get your anchor out is " TIE the end to the BOAT". I remember putting an anchor in the water and watching it let out line , only to realize I hadn't tied the end to the boat and watched as it went stright down. I Never do that again.