PWT Winneconne Final Day
sworrall
Posted 4/21/2006 5:22 AM (#42691)
Subject: PWT Winneconne Final Day

The 'window' weather looks breezy and cool as an upper level low moves through Wisconsin. This is the same system that brought a blizzard to the western plains, but it looks like the worst of the bite from the storm system is past. It's 45 and clear with winds south 5 to 10. Looks like scattered strorms at a high in the low 60's.

Stay with WalleyeFIRST on the last day of the PWT Regional in Winneconne for the best tournament coverage on the web.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
sworrall
Posted 4/21/2006 8:26 AM (#42701 - in reply to #42691)
Subject: RE: PWT Winneconne Final Day

The Pros were definitely optimistic this morning as they waited for the GO signal from Julie. Day One leader Ken VanOss said he felt his fish were on the move, and that he had spent the day chasing them yesterday. He anticipates moving fast with his fish down river today in search of a limit.

Day Two Leader TOM GATZKE outlined a similar strategy, looking to find schools of fish moving downriver.

Reports of an accident this morning that put Jamie Friebel's rig onshore and into the woods on a turn of the river have just come in; fortunately there were no injuries in the accident. It appears he caught a wake on a turn and simply lost control of the rig.

Stay with WalleyeFIRST for continuing coverage of the PWT Winneconne Final day. Weigh in ceremonies will begin at a bit after 3 PM Central.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSC_0002.JPG)

(DSC_0079.JPG)

(DSC_0093.JPG)

(DSC_0047.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC_0002.JPG (91KB - 69 downloads)
Attachments DSC_0079.JPG (81KB - 60 downloads)
Attachments DSC_0093.JPG (55KB - 63 downloads)
Attachments DSC_0047.JPG (84KB - 68 downloads)
Juls_OH
Posted 4/21/2006 9:02 AM (#42704 - in reply to #42691)

Steve,
Any idea if Jamie's boat was put out of commission, or was he able to get back to work today?

Thanks,
Juls
Kid
Posted 4/21/2006 9:06 AM (#42705 - in reply to #42691)

More than likely he will be out of commission. The DNR was called and will probably take some time to get it taken care of. Haven't heard any word on if it's done but I know the DNR was on it's way.
Juls_OH
Posted 4/21/2006 9:07 AM (#42706 - in reply to #42705)

What a bummer....thanks for the info kid.

Juls
sworrall
Posted 4/21/2006 10:20 AM (#42712 - in reply to #42706)

The Final Day photo slide show is ready to go. See the album or watch the slide show here, mid page:

http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/
Joel "Doc" Kunz
Posted 4/21/2006 1:26 PM (#42716 - in reply to #42712)

What happens to the amatuers that are paired up with a disqualified angler, do they still get to fish?
sworrall
Posted 4/21/2006 1:31 PM (#42718 - in reply to #42716)

Yessir, I believe they do. I'm not sure how that would work with two Pros missing from the field, though. I'll ask when I get back onsite.

Final Day morning video is up.
WalleyeFIRST
Posted 4/21/2006 1:42 PM (#42720 - in reply to #42716)

What they do is basically eliminate the two latest entrants and then compensate them I believe. Sometimes they hve couple of am's that were recruited at the last minute from drop-outs etc and they just eliminate those if that is the case.
whitetips unlogged
Posted 4/21/2006 1:43 PM (#42721 - in reply to #42718)

Some Pros will elect to take two Ams out, sounds like a great situation for a jig bite, and I believe the weight goes to all 3 anglers, at least that is what I have see happen in the past.
HE BEACHED ER
Posted 4/22/2006 12:39 PM (#42745 - in reply to #42691)

IT SHOULD BE A LESSON TO ALL THAT ARE DRIVING LIKE MANIACS ON THE RIVER TO SLOW DOWN!!!! THERE IS NO NEED TO DRIVE WIDE OPEN ON SOME OF THE CORNERS....THE PEOPLE ANCHOR FISHING DO NOT APPRECIATE IT
Kid
Posted 4/22/2006 7:26 PM (#42750 - in reply to #42691)

What they do at the PWT when pro anglers get DQ'd is the last amatuer angler or in this case anglers get a full refund of there money. It's not the amatuers fault for getting DQ'd, but these pros broke rules. Rules that were made very clear to them that NO WAKE zones are to be followed and if these rules were broken then they would be disqualified from the tournament.
sworrall
Posted 4/22/2006 9:24 PM (#42753 - in reply to #42750)

He Beached Her,
The boat that was involved in that incident wasn't anywhere NEAR wide open throttle; more like just on plane speed. He hit a wake coming around the corner. The 'bump' caused him to shift in his seat, and the kill switch was pulled. Without the thrust from the prop, that boat went the direction it was pointed when the kill switch cord was pulled, and the boat ended up a few feet up the bank, certainly not where it would have at anywhere near full throttle or any description of 'maniac' driving. Get the facts before you accuse next time.

If indeed there are some folks driving like maniacs on the river, I'd agree with you. In this case, the driver wasn't.
Tree Hugger
Posted 4/23/2006 5:50 AM (#42757 - in reply to #42691)

Get the facts? Now, Now, Steve......Where is he supposed to get them? No one is saying much on either of the sites, and quite frankly, HE hit a wake at enough speed to leave the water then he should have been issued a citation for following to closely or RECKLESS driving. Come on.................. why the heck is this being played down when you KNOW it is a big issue to have a $50,000 rig 40 feet off shore from a "professional". You were there and so was I.

This is rediculious I might just have to go along with the "maniac" statement as it was quite STUPID driving, he can thank GOD I wasn't his CO.......(he'd probably still be hearing banjo's).

Good Luck
Tyee
Posted 4/23/2006 9:24 AM (#42764 - in reply to #42757)

I know guys who have down the same thing in sloughs on the Mississippi River and none of them were maniac drivers, more like granny drivers, but when you are on plane and lose steering of your boat in a narrow spot or a tight turn like that you will wind up on shore every time, boats are heavy and will go a long ways on their own. Unless you were the guy sitting on shore pickin' the banjo and saw it happen, your claims of what happened are contrary to everything I've heard and read about the incident.

Although it's possible he was driving like a complete maniac, wouldn't be the first time a local OR a tournament guy did that in that spot, the word it he was going with the flow of traffic, boat in front of him and boat behind him when it happened. The whole story will eventually come out from eyewitnesses.

In response to beached er, yes people should be courteous to other anglers, especially around smaller boats in narrow spots, tournament or no tournament.
HE BEACHED ER
Posted 4/23/2006 9:30 AM (#42765 - in reply to #42691)

I AGREE TREE HUGGER IF HE WERE JUST GOING ON PLANE SPEED HOW IN THE WORLD COULD HE HAVE LAUCHED ER INTO THE PRICKERS THAT FAR????? WOW GUESS THAT EVINRUDE HAS A LOT OF THRUST WHEN THE POWER IS SHUT DOWN!!!! IT WAS A NICE POLITICALY CORRECT STATEMENT THOUGH FOR A PERSON WHO "DOESN'T" UNDERSTAND BOATS AND HIGH POWER OUTBOARDS MOTORS!!!! OH WELL....GLAD NO ONE GOT HURT!!!! AND TO EVERYONE.....SLOWER DOWN NEXT TIME!!!!!!!
Risor39
Posted 4/23/2006 9:49 AM (#42766 - in reply to #42691)

What about the boat that caused the wake in the first place? I would rather have a boat come through at half throttle than one causing a big wake at a slower speed.You;ve all seen it,a boat coming through at a "slow speed"and plowing a big wake.Those are the worst and should take a few lessons on boat handling. Anyone familiar with the river knows you can almost drive into the trees in some spots as the banks are low.Don't know where this happened but it is not inconsevable to go that far into the trees at a slow speed.

Edited by Risor39 4/23/2006 10:00 AM
sworrall
Posted 4/23/2006 9:51 AM (#42767 - in reply to #42757)

I related the incident from a witness who WAS there. I got the phone call moments after the accident happened. The boat, according to the PWT report and witnesses, didn't 'leave the water'. The driver hit a wake, and his rig shifted enough for him to slide in his seat ( I'd say his biggest mistake was not being planted in his seat well); his kill switch pulled, and that was that.

The witness described the boat as 20' onto the bank. That's the same figure I heard from two others who were there. Those are the facts as we know them, so any other speculation would be exactly that.

I certainly know what a boat does under these conditions. I had nearly the same thing happen to me on the English river, and it happened so fast it was unbelievable. I didn't end up on shore, because the river was wider, but the sudden loss of control caused the boat to nearly flip, and I tossed a friend of mine a long way into the drink. I wasn't driving in a reckless manner, and was simply following the others in front of me at the same speed so those behind me could keep their spacing.

Is it just possible that's what this fellow was doing? I haven't heard a SINGLE report to the contrary, so until I do from a credible source, that's the story.

FISHTRAP
Posted 4/24/2006 9:09 PM (#42826 - in reply to #42691)

It can happen to anyone we all take pride in our rigs,but things can get out of control in a second.ANYONE on this site should know that who spends time on the water,many of us have had our scare out there.Those of you who say it wont happen to you are kidding yourselves.I to thought it couldn't happen to me.
sworrall
Posted 4/24/2006 9:41 PM (#42827 - in reply to #42826)

That's why they call them 'accidents'.
swampbuck
Posted 4/24/2006 11:51 PM (#42830 - in reply to #42691)

(boat.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments boat.jpg (107KB - 68 downloads)
tolden
Posted 4/25/2006 6:16 AM (#42834 - in reply to #42691)

From that photo, it isn't going to take too big of a wake to have a boat at half throttle get that far up the bank. To me that doesn't look like it was launched at all. Imagine at the min. a 2ft wake along that shore with this boat suddenly out of control on plane, it will easily get up on the bank that far with the water that high up on the bank.

Not sure what TREEHUGGER is talking about but that is not a launched boat!
eye Lunker
Posted 4/25/2006 7:26 AM (#42839 - in reply to #42691)

The most important thing is that no one was hurt or killed. Accidents do happen. The whole could have been alot worse especially if another boat would have been involved.
Utts
Posted 4/25/2006 8:01 AM (#42840 - in reply to #42691)

just looks like a bathroom break.

Edited by Utts 4/25/2006 8:03 AM
Posted 4/25/2006 2:59 PM (#42863 - in reply to #42840)

Sure, I believe ya, honestly.

I know when ever I need to get my 620 Ranger on the trailer, I just slid it up on the shore a little and then I crank it up without the trailer in the water, no problem. Because anyone with a Fiberglass Walleye boat knows how lightweight and easy they are to put on the shore.

You have got to be kidding me!! A 3000 lb boat ends up on dry land and the word of the day is " it was just a small incident, nothing big at all"

If you believe that, I have some shoreline in Fremont in front of the Fin and Feather that I am willing to part with!
BeFishin
Posted 4/25/2006 3:36 PM (#42866 - in reply to #42863)

I thought the Fin and Feather was in Winneconne.
sworrall
Posted 4/25/2006 3:48 PM (#42867 - in reply to #42863)

That's right, guest, it was an accident. Not one any of us would be happy to have happen to us, nor one the Pro was hoping to happen that day, just like most accidents. Just remember the addage about glass houses..
TJ DeVoe
Posted 4/25/2006 4:18 PM (#42870 - in reply to #42691)

What part of accident don't people understand? If he was going full throttle and driving like an idiot that might be a little different story, but I know Jamie wasn't doing that, and by any means didn't want that to happen. The ACCIDENT is over, no one was hurt, so why don't people back off and get over the situation. I guarantee that this accident will only open others eyes when traveling threw an area like this. This is why the PWT enforced the rules quite heavely becuase they didn't want accidents to occur. Maybe this is an area where the PWT should also make this a no wake zone for the tournament?