Tax free gas
Jonny Rocket
Posted 4/23/2006 6:58 PM (#42779)
Subject: Tax free gas

The other day some co-workers and I got talking about the price of gas. In our conversation we talked about farmers getting highway tax free gas for their use. So my comment was we as tournament fishermen and even just pleasure fisherman and boat owners should start writing our politicians for highway tax free gas for boats.

Our boat engines do not run while on the highway so why pay the tax. The arguement is we trailer out boats down the highway. Well, to counter that would be to say the farmers drive their equipment down the highway to get to some of their fields. Whats the difference we are all using the highways.

I have nothing against farmers and the fact they get the gas they get. We all need the farmers and I am thankful for their services, I just though maybe as fishermen and boat owners we could get some kind of deal or kick back for the gas we burn on the water.

I would like to hear some of your thoughts on this. Don't turn this into farmer bashing or a farmer topic, I only used them as an example. The topic on hand is tax free gas for boat owners, fishermen, and tournament fishermen.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Viking
Posted 4/23/2006 7:36 PM (#42781 - in reply to #42779)
Subject: RE: Tax free gas

Not all gas tax goes to highway programs.

A portion of all federal gas tax is dedicated to Wallop-Breaux Aquatic Resources Trust Fund. The money goes into one of 2 separate accounts – one for boating safety funds and another for sport fish monies.

About 1.25% of the WI total gasoline sales tax revenue gas tax goes to the Water Resources Account.
Purple Skeeter
Posted 4/23/2006 8:16 PM (#42784 - in reply to #42779)

And don't forget where the rest of the money collected by the State of Wisconsin at the Gas Pumps is going to..... Where ever our Governor wants it to. He (and both side of the political spectrum) has raided the Gas Tax Fund to pay for the Teachers Union this year as well as many other programs that have nothing to do with our roads.... all in the name of getting more campaign contributions!!

It's time for the people in Wisconsin to take back our Government and I think that we as boaters should start by surrounding the capitol in Madison with our vehicles with our boats attached and demand that they refund our road tax money!! We can start a flotilla and surround the capitol by water also. I’m sure if we threw in free beer, we could get the Badger fans to help us out with our quest!!

Sorry, I got a little carried away.

Let me know if you need a good lobbyist for our cause.... I'm at the capitol building twice a month; I can see how far 5 bucks goes these days to grease the palms of a lobbyist.

Purple Skeeter
butch
Posted 4/24/2006 4:31 AM (#42789 - in reply to #42779)

I can go buy off road diesel without the ROAD tax on it why shouldnt we be able to buy off road unleaded without the ROAD tax my boat, lawnmower, weed eater, ice auger, and snowmobile are not run on the ROAD. Yes we may trailer our boats but we may also trailer our campers without a ROAD tax. It is costing me about $3.50 a pop to mow my lawn with the current price off gas where does it all stop??????
Steve Fellegy
Posted 4/24/2006 5:37 AM (#42790 - in reply to #42789)

You CAN get your boat gas tax (a portion) back via a form (can't recall form #) on your income tax filings. Ask a tax preparer. You need to be able to document the number gallons used exclusively in the boat. Been doin' it for over 30 years....

Steve Fellegy
walleye express
Posted 4/24/2006 7:20 AM (#42791 - in reply to #42779)

Steves kinda Right.

The fuel isn't totally Federal tax free. But here in Michigan at the end of my charter year I send in a form under the Motor Fuel Tax Law, and PA.451 of 1994. The Natural Resources and Environment Protection Act allow for refunds under certain circumstances. In order to obtain a refund, this claim form must be completed in its entirety, and submitted with original invoices for fuel purchases, and any other documentation that may be requied by the department to determine refund eligibility. Our refund allowance is .190cents per gallon. Its not a lot, but its something. I got back $90.00 one year, but that has dropped since I installed my Yamaha 8 Horse HT with TR-1 for a kicker. Of course my fuel consumption has also dropped, making that trade of well worth it.

All claims must be filled out and sent in withing 6 months of purchase. I would simply call and ask your States department of tresaury if they have such a rule/law on their books. They all remind you about renewing your license plates. But few will remind you about any refunds you might qualify for.

Edited by walleye express 4/24/2006 7:27 AM
eye Lunker
Posted 4/24/2006 10:40 AM (#42796 - in reply to #42779)

I wrote both vehicle and boat gas off for taxes for prefishing prior tournys and tourny days i was happy about that
FishWisher
Posted 4/24/2006 3:49 PM (#42810 - in reply to #42779)

The state of Missourri will refund you your gas tax for all gas bought at marinas. You have to have a valid reciept stating the gallons purchased and get a form and fill it out and send it in and your check will arrive in the mail. I used to buy quite a lot of gas and kept my reciepts and at the end of the year recieved a $30 -$40 check for my effort, even though I was from out of state. No problem. It is certainly a subject to fire up ypur legislative rep. about.