Crawlering...... reports
Purple Skeeter
Posted 5/10/2006 10:30 PM (#43490)
Subject: Crawlering...... reports

x

Edited by Purple Skeeter 6/28/2006 7:46 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
AXL
Posted 5/11/2006 12:37 AM (#43492 - in reply to #43490)
Subject: RE: Crawlering...... reports

And to think I went fishing with you last weekend! Wow!....lol
I loved the report though, keep them coming.
I had a report from the east side of Neenah that said he did very well for crawlers as well......
He was using a coleman lantern though, and had to use propane for the best luck.
I guess they could smell the gasoline and he was forced to switch to propane.
I lost two monster crawlers on Tuesday night to the city drain.
They were niced sized and I was mad I missed them.
Maybe the next rainfall they will be back!!!!

BeFishin
Posted 5/11/2006 8:09 AM (#43499 - in reply to #43490)

This morning was OK. I tried a new spot, a new subdivision, but not enough basement dug yet, so it was a waste of time. The wind and rain were terrible, had to come back into the wind.

Had a few minutes left before I had to go in, went to a favorite spot and got another couple dozen. Ended the morning with about 5 dozen.

Fishthrills
Posted 5/11/2006 8:39 AM (#43502 - in reply to #43490)

We'll we have a nice crawler chop starting today fellows. Thewinds 30-45 mph,The waves on the big lake 12'-15' " CAN YOU SAY GALEFORCE WINDS"?
butch
Posted 5/11/2006 8:58 AM (#43507 - in reply to #43490)

Given the current condition in the U.P. right now I might try a little trolling tonight for crawlers they are calling for 4 to 6 inches of rain so I will just climb in the blazer and ride some roads looking for pockets of active crawlers.
BeFishin
Posted 5/11/2006 10:08 AM (#43517 - in reply to #43507)

Just don't run any over! I hate to see them in the headlights of a car. Talk about burning a spot!
BIG BOBBER
Posted 5/11/2006 11:21 AM (#43532 - in reply to #43490)

Just remember to practice "QWM" - Quality Worm Management
Let em' go, so he can grow!
They should be out thick tonight with all this rain. In fact I may just go barefoot and pick them up with my toes as well.
Better get permission from the neighbors as well, somebody creeping thru their backyard with a flashlight might look a little suspicious.
Fibtat
Posted 5/11/2006 1:26 PM (#43550 - in reply to #43490)

I have a forest preserve near the shop.The access road has a tall curb.The crawlers can't make it up the curb so they crawl along to a seam in the curb where they try to squirm through.They accumulate at each seam by the dozens.I scope them up by the handfulls,during the day,no less! It's a beautiful thing especially as a dozen worms costs as much as a gallon of gas!
Purple Skeeter
Posted 5/11/2006 1:46 PM (#43554 - in reply to #43490)

x

Edited by Purple Skeeter 6/28/2006 7:46 PM
wannagopro
Posted 5/11/2006 2:56 PM (#43559 - in reply to #43490)

heading out in a few hours to try the "night bite", will post my results later.
gilman911
Posted 5/11/2006 4:27 PM (#43567 - in reply to #43532)

Hey Big Bobber.......why stop at "QWM"? I say we shoot for "TWM"-trophy worm management!! If we get enough contiguous parcels, and nobody cheats by keeping a worm less than 2 feet, we are sure to come up with a new state record, especially if you can extricate the big boy on a light line like 2 lb test. We need to come up with the equivalent of the Pope & Young system so we can record the trophy crawlers. What 50 mph winds and lack of fishing will cause!!!
Shep
Posted 5/11/2006 7:42 PM (#43580 - in reply to #43567)

Hee Hee! This is a great thread! Thanks, Purp!

I think after Zach gets here, maybe we'll break out a couple flashlights and some coffee cans, and do a little drop shotting for crawlers. I like the stealthy approach. My old neighbor had the deal where you plugged it in to an extension cord, and poked two leads into the ground. The crawlerss did a tail walk like a St Claire muskie! hehehe I called him a cheater.
Purple Skeeter
Posted 5/11/2006 9:07 PM (#43586 - in reply to #43580)

x

Edited by Purple Skeeter 6/28/2006 7:47 PM
butch
Posted 5/12/2006 4:27 AM (#43588 - in reply to #43490)

they are pretty easy to make but they work best run off the old screw in fuse's just atach the end of an extension cord to 2 metal rods use rubber hoseing to make insulated handles and be sure to have rubber soled shoes on so you do not ground yourself out. When I was a kid a neighborhood retired guy used to pick crawlers like that and sell them then he would give the money to his grand kids. As a bounus you will have a very well areated lawn.

Edited by butch 5/12/2006 4:29 AM
butch
Posted 5/12/2006 5:48 AM (#43589 - in reply to #43490)

Due to a rapid drop in water temps last night I decided to pass on trying to find crawlers in an inch of slush. Hopefully the water temps tonight will be up a little and I will give it another go.
BIG BOBBER
Posted 5/12/2006 7:58 AM (#43596 - in reply to #43490)

I've used one of those worm rods before, it was shaped like a T. The only problem was that the the electrical tape was worn thru on one of the corners, so when I touched that spot I got a bit of a shock. That was the last time I used that thing. I wouldn't want to be the first person killed while picking crawlers.
Purple Skeeter
Posted 5/12/2006 8:58 AM (#43598 - in reply to #43490)

x

Edited by Purple Skeeter 6/28/2006 7:47 PM
wannagopro
Posted 5/12/2006 9:43 AM (#43602 - in reply to #43490)

well, the front definately shut em down in New London last night, notta 1 to be seen, went out every 1/2 hour from 7-10 adn checked all my usual hot spots but to no avail. i wasnt sure at first if it was the front that came through or the Weed B Gone i spread wednesday, but checked out a acouple neighbors yards as well and came up empty there too..........I was starting to get upset, thought i was going to have to change the name of that stuff to "worm be gone".
will try to get out a night or too this weekend, if it ever warms up a bit, 37^ must be a tad bit cold.
jackglasseye
Posted 5/12/2006 12:12 PM (#43614 - in reply to #43602)

Really good stuff, and why not with the way the weather has been....... I always used to go for the double grabs myself and was very proud of getting two - until my Dad cracked me for doing it. Here I thought he would be proud of me getting two at once... He explained to me that if they were that close they "had other things on their minds" and that I should leave them alone! He went on to assure me that if I left them alone, there would always be more to pick! I started talkin about how if that was like the birds and the bees ..... then he cracked me again, No need to worry, they were those light lovin' cracks that we used to get growing up!
Fibtat
Posted 5/12/2006 2:07 PM (#43626 - in reply to #43490)

Purple Skeeter,my hotspot is south of the cheddar curtin in Palatine,Il by the infamous Brown's Chicken.However,I believe the pattern will hold up anywhere.You can read about when my book,"Night-crawler Patterns"is published!
Hafe
Posted 5/12/2006 2:40 PM (#43630 - in reply to #43490)

I joined in and got a couple dozen last night, it was easy they were standing straight up-now for the big question....how long do you have to micro wave them to thaw them out?
butch
Posted 5/12/2006 2:49 PM (#43631 - in reply to #43490)

I prefer to roll them in corn meal and deep fry than to microwave but whatever floats your boat but I always thought they got a bit chewy in the microwave.
Purple Skeeter
Posted 5/12/2006 3:11 PM (#43634 - in reply to #43631)

x

Edited by Purple Skeeter 6/28/2006 7:48 PM
butch
Posted 5/13/2006 1:48 AM (#43653 - in reply to #43490)

I spent an about 35 minutes last night pounding the turf looking for some hawgs. came up 4 short of a limit only managing to land 1. Had four shake the hook and about a dozen bumps. This front seams to have them shut down. Well on saturday I will move on to the lowley little walleye instead of the highly prized night crawler. Hopefully next week the crawlers will be stageing for the spawn and will be bunched up a little more.
wannagopro
Posted 5/13/2006 8:36 PM (#43684 - in reply to #43490)

was out last night for a bit, ended up with 2 dozen in 20 minutes or so........pesky lil turds were uneasy, get a light anywhere near there vicinity and they would shoot back down the hole like there was a fire raging through. got a few more than my possession limit now....so im gonna lay low for a bit until my inventory dwindles a tad.
good luck on your hunts
BeFishin
Posted 5/15/2006 8:08 AM (#43769 - in reply to #43490)

All I can say is Mother's Day morning is going to go down as the Mother's Day Massacre. If I wouldn't have stopped picking after an hour I wouldn't have been able to keep them in the bucket. My fingers were going numb!

I was a hog, a slob! I must have over 500 now.
jerry
Posted 5/15/2006 8:14 AM (#43771 - in reply to #43490)

If any of you guys who were doing the crawler pciking would like to sell a flat in bedding I'd be very interested. I just got two flats from my usual source, and they left a bit to be desired. Email me at [email protected] of you're interested.
guesr
Posted 5/15/2006 8:35 AM (#43773 - in reply to #43490)

Would you guys share on what you do to keep the crawlers alive for the season . Thanks this is a great thread.
BeFishin
Posted 5/15/2006 1:34 PM (#43794 - in reply to #43773)

I have an extra frig in the basement for beverages and bait.

My favorite choice for bedding is Fat & Sassy.

I have a large Styrofoam container from a package I received. I use it without a cover.

Edited by BeFishin 5/15/2006 1:35 PM
Jerry1
Posted 5/17/2006 11:56 AM (#43876 - in reply to #43769)

What is the ideal temperature to set frig for crawlers? I set at between 38 to 48 F. Don't want to get to close to freezing or they will die.

Jerry
budsbud66
Posted 5/17/2006 12:05 PM (#43879 - in reply to #43490)

i run small coleman lunch box with busse bedding. i dont know fridge temp. they will stay alive the whole season. no tricks involved. keep em cool, dont throw halves in your box.
budsbud66
Posted 7/1/2006 10:59 PM (#45426 - in reply to #43490)
Subject: Re: Crawlering...... reports

Went out after the big storms tonight, my god. i dont know the equation but my digital scale read 2.8 lbs of crawlers tonight.
fairways were hot! i definately have too many.
AXL
Posted 9/11/2006 11:50 PM (#47464 - in reply to #43490)

With all the great rain we have had the last 24 hours, I figured it was time for the annual night crawler fall run to begin. Have been out for several hours tonight along the north shore and yet to find any! Anyone got some hot spots or tips on where they go this time of year? Any help on this matter is appreciated!

P.S. I did happen to find a penny and a nickel in my hunt tonight, so it was worth it.
Posted 9/12/2006 8:17 AM (#47467 - in reply to #43490)

The other night, I jumped out of bed to answer a knock on the door, turns out it was a bunch of crawlers asking me to turn the garden hose again, seems they don't like the desert conditions in my yard this year. They were threatening to post all my hotspots on Walleyefirst so I gave into their demands.

I have given up on Crawlering for the year; my hotspots are dead with this strong east wind blowing the rain completely past my yard all month into my neighbors yard. He's a tournament crawlerer and is tight lipped about all his "techniques". I did manage to tailpipe him earlier this spring with a handheld GMS unit so I got all his "hot spots".

I sure this east wind stops blowing, otherwise... it's going to be a long fall.

Signed

Lawn Crawler
Jayman
Posted 9/12/2006 9:28 AM (#47469 - in reply to #47467)

HAHAHAH Lawn Crawler, now that's some good stuff.
Axl
Posted 4/1/2007 3:42 PM (#53438 - in reply to #43490)

The run has begun!!!! Pulled a nice limit of crawlers on the east side of my street today, fat ones to say the least!!!
Purple Skeeter
Posted 4/1/2007 7:27 PM (#53446 - in reply to #53438)

Axle,

You beat me to it... I thought you and I were going to keep our crawlering secrets to ourselves this year, but since you let the crawler out of the bag, here's my Saturday night report...

I setup late on Saturday night on the east end of my lawn in 1 & 1/2 inches of grass, had to use 2 anchors on the lawn chair because the strong east wind threatened to blow me off the burm. I got a few smaller crawlers with a AAA l.e.d. single bulb flashlight before midnight, but the craw was very light. About 12:30 the rain picked up and so did my bite, for the next 3 hours... lost a huge one right at the cover, I have got to talk to my sponsor about reinforceing the covers.... (pick attached)

(it was more like 10 minutes because I was thinking to myself... my neighbors are going to call in an intruder)

I could not keep a hand in my pocket. For a first time out this year, I was hitting them one handed and doubles were filling my cool whip container pretty darn fast. As the rain picked up, I switched over to my new 100-watt l.e.d. Handheld lantern... just got it on sale at Kitz & Pfile Hardware in Menasha for 50% off... last 70 hours on 4 aaa batteries... amazing...sorry for the cheep sponsorship plug.

You could easily tell that these were some of the first crawlers to see the light of a flashlight because they did not even flinch when I shined the ole' 100 watt light directly into their eyes. It was like catching Walleyes on my friends’ favorite waypoints that I recorded on my handheld when they weren't looking.

I'm still a little dismayed that all my neighbors have declared that their lawns are "refuge only until May 2nd" and I can only take home 1 crawler over 12 inches, it won't be long now and it will be wall to wall with guys lined up on the refuge, cool whip container in one hand all leaning over the line trying to get that exclusive 12incher... Oh how I long for the old days when I was the only one who crawlered my neighborhood.

I"m pretty excited with all my sponsors this year, I attached a pick of my new rig.

PS

sponsors:

www.coolwhipcontainers.com
www.kitz&pfile.com
www.nationalcrawleringassociation.com
www.letemgrow.com
www.miraclegrowwormbeading.com

Edited by Purple Skeeter 4/1/2007 7:48 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(323.jpg)

(northpolecoolwhip.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 323.jpg (11KB - 296 downloads)
Attachments northpolecoolwhip.JPG (129KB - 295 downloads)
tyee
Posted 4/1/2007 8:17 PM (#53450 - in reply to #53446)

I'm a meat hunter! I hope I'm not over my limit. Wanna know how many fit in a 1 gallon ice cream pail?............... 506........... Whats the possession limit for north central WI. I'm on my way out for more, I think I'll do a bit of culling this time, my bait well is full!
Good Luck
Tyee
NCA
Posted 4/1/2007 8:29 PM (#53453 - in reply to #43490)

(National Crawler association)

We held our annual meeting this past weekend and I wanted you all to be aware of some new laws that have been put in place.

Section I, part B, paragraph GG declares= No crawler hunter may possess over 500 crawlers in a single container. This is to try and avoid the recent outbreak of CWD (Crawler Wasting disease).

Section IV, part F, paragraph RR declares= If a crawler is wounded or injured while trying to capture the crawler, you must count this toward your daily bag limit.

Section VII, part D, paragraph XX declares= If a crawler you catch is albino, you must turn this into the NCA for research purposes.

Section XIII part Q, paragraph LL declares= No crawler hunter is allowed to use an electronic device that gives off more then 10 million candle power in the attempt to hunt crawlers.

Section XIII part R, paragraph ZZ declares- no crawler hunter may use more then 2 pounds of bait to try and attract a crawler. This is once again in regards to CWD (Crawler Wasting Disease)

We will continue to keep you updated as the laws become final. feel free to respond to these rules on this thread, and I will make an attempt to answer you as quickly as we can.

NCA-President,

Leaf Blower
Ps
Posted 4/1/2007 9:23 PM (#53456 - in reply to #43490)

First off, I don’t crawl the MCC Crawler circuit… but I must get this off my chest.

Just like the typical association... holding their meetings on an off day so no one can attend and then the board of directors come up with more ridicules laws only aimed at keeping the "crawler man down".

The association does not stand for anything, remember last week when they sent us out in the tornado, shortened our tournament to one day and had us all leave the garage at the same time.... people almost got killed Crawlering in those conditions… we all dodged trees, tires, refrigerators and other assorted debris on the lawn trying to win the biggest first-place purse in Masters Crawler Circuit history.

Howga Pickem and Axle (aka “the lawn king”) edged out Jayman (aka “half crawler”) and Ranger Pat (aka “you talking to me”) by 1/100th of an inch, measuring a single 10.6-inch crawler for the win. $60,630, the largest single payout in the history of the well-established circuit.

Besides, everybody knows that all the association cares for is money, they don't care about us crawlerers. I’ve talked to a lot of they guys that Crawl the MCC and they have said that they are fed up with the circuit and will never set foot on another lawn tournament sponsored by the MCC. Can’t say I blame them.

Please call 1-800-crawler to report poaching. It's up to us to maintain the integrity of our sport...

P.S
sworrall
Posted 4/1/2007 9:29 PM (#53457 - in reply to #53456)

PS, you really need a Skeeter Board to entertain and engage your great sense of humor! Expect to see one tomorrow!
MCC Director
Posted 4/2/2007 5:43 AM (#53467 - in reply to #43490)

Some of you crawler hunters have taken to posting on the internet that "you will never crawl another MCC tournament" or "I know there are a lot of people who will NEVER support crawler picking again." I understand emotions can run high, but statements like that simply inflame the situation. And in the process damage is done to the reputation of all crawler picking by a vocal few; and that hurts all the worm pickers of the MCC. If you can't say online what you would say directly to me -- then don't say it. We are all bent over with flashlight in hand together! A decision was made and we picked during bad conditions, get over it. And if you do want to talk to me – my lawn is always available --. I will personally discuss this with any of you. So give me a shout-- or call your NCA reps -- rather than make comments online. We do have a clause in our rules that states:

Crawler pickers will conduct themselves in a true sportsmanlike, courteous, safe and ethical manner at all times. Any unfavorable conduct or action by a contestant, which could negatively reflect on the Crawler picking circuit, will be grounds for disqualification or rejection of future lawn hunts.

Keep that in mind. You sign on to crawler hunt with us and you agree to give up all of your freedom of speech rights....and we expect nothing less. Never discuss our circuit in groups larger than 3, make sure that you wear the circuit clothing while discussing our organization and report ALL unhappy crawlers to us immediately. They will be dealt with in the spirit of the creed in crawler picking.

We are watching you
tyee
Posted 4/2/2007 6:45 AM (#53469 - in reply to #53467)

I don't know what all the complaining is about, I too went out in my 100+mph rain gear and my 2000 gram insulated waterproof footwear, with my zenon,1 million candle power headlamp and never was I concerned about my safety, although I did have to hike it more than a 1/4mile. I was in shape and ready for the hunt, I avoided all those trees concrete slabs and shrubs that were scattered over the typical community spots ie parks and cemetaries. I found my catch in the football field far away from obstacles, I had plenty of space to roam and avoided those poles at either end. I guess I just got LUCKY this time and they were there! I make my own decissions, I am a big boy, and I don't throw sand in the sandbox either! I'll gladly share my GPS Coords with anyone. Life is too short not to enjoy!
Good Luck
Tyee

Edited by tyee 4/2/2007 6:48 AM
jerry
Posted 4/2/2007 9:41 AM (#53484 - in reply to #53469)

You guys need help!!!
Deep Throat
Posted 4/2/2007 10:00 AM (#53488 - in reply to #43490)

Jerry,

You just don't get it and will never understand. Crawlering is a way of life. A commitment, you must be dedicated and believe in yourself and your abilities. Yea, I know what you are thinking. Call us weekend warriors or yard yuppies, we've been called those things before ...............

But when that gun is sounded and they allow us to take off for the field, it's an adrenaline rush that just can not be explained.

And it’s not just the numbers. Having that dream of some day ………….. some day…………… handling that big worm ………… letting the slime run through my fingers ……………….. looking for thickness and length ………….. well, how can that not excite any real man.
Shep
Posted 4/2/2007 11:15 AM (#53495 - in reply to #53488)

Pretty sure that is not slime running through your fingers! hehehe

I'll do my share of crawlering, but I am a fair weather crawlerer. I don't like the cold night air lately. And my lawn is only two years old, so it's still a fledgling crawlery. Is there anything I can apply to the lawn to expedite the growth on the crawlers I stocked? Will stocked crawlers reproduce, or is this now strickly a put and take crawlery? Help. Please.
Deep Throat
Posted 4/2/2007 11:41 AM (#53501 - in reply to #43490)

Shep,

It takes years and years to develop a truley great crawlerie. Please do not jeoperdize the cralerie of the future for generations to come. You may own the land but you do not own the resource. It's there for all to enjoy.

You could take the juvenile crawlers now but leave the brood stock. I'd suggest the 4-6inchers to start. But why not catch, photo and release. That way the resource is there forever. For further information, I'd suggest reading my book: "The dream of a twelve Incher" by Dr. Deep Throat. Paperback versions will be available soon. Also watch for a future article in In-Crawlerman with a sequal coming out soon in Crawler Insider. They promise a center fold picture that I'm sure you will want to frame and hang.

For now, if you are looking for trophies, contact that Tyee guy. He has the inside scoop on some virgin massive fields around New London.
jerry
Posted 4/2/2007 11:48 AM (#53502 - in reply to #53501)

OMG.....Why did I bother to comment???? Thanks for setting me straight Deep Throat.
sworrall
Posted 4/2/2007 12:00 PM (#53506 - in reply to #53502)

Hoo boy, here we go. CPRing Crawlers. Next it will be the WCRT (Wisconsin Crawler Restoration Team) beating the devil out of our DNR over Crawler genetics, and the fact Canadian Crawlers are so obviously superior. Stock CCs NOW!
WalleyeFIRST
Posted 4/2/2007 12:01 PM (#53507 - in reply to #53502)

I came across what I believe to be a new species of crawler the other day I actually took a picture of it. I caught my attention as it stood up and hissed much like a cobra as I walked past it.

WalleyeFIRST
Posted 4/2/2007 12:01 PM (#53508 - in reply to #53507)

Here it is, it's a cute little thing.

I wanted to use it on a jig but I couldn't bring myself to do it, it kept smiling at me.

(yaaargh!.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments yaaargh!.jpg (105KB - 351 downloads)
Deep Throat
Posted 4/2/2007 12:09 PM (#53510 - in reply to #43490)

Now problem Jerry...........

Sorry if I sounded too defensive. I'm just sensitive about my passion and belief that this will grow as big as BASS. Mark my words; someday you'll see Axle, Tyee and me up on stage while watching us on ESPN.

We get beat up all the time by the property owners who know they have a good thing and do not want us near their land. Geez………. With proper management we can all appreciate and use the resource. And don’t get me started on PETA. If they had their way we would have no right to harvest this beautiful bounty. That’s where the NCA comes in.

The National Crawler Association is doing a good job with keeping everyone professional and getting word out BUT it’ll take time before we are accepted as a real sport.
mucus morrie
Posted 4/2/2007 12:14 PM (#53511 - in reply to #53510)

I won't belong to the NCA it's all about the Top 100 crawler-ers. There is not enough non-endemics in this sport to be able to do it full time. They (the NCA) used to give discounts on worm bedding but they even quit doing that. I do like what they are doing to bring youth into the sport, though.
Deep Throat
Posted 4/2/2007 12:27 PM (#53512 - in reply to #43490)

I've seen that genetic freak myself or at least one just like it. That mutant isn’t normal…………. Did ya’ wash your hands? I believe that it is a result of cross-breading. I’ve heard rumors of the DNR trying to come up with a super worm capable of growing to 3 feet. I believe that this specimen is a result of their experiments. Disgusting isn’t it. Just another example of why we should leave Mother Nature alone.

I suppose that you could bite that head off and thread the rest onto a jig hook. (Now tell me that you never bit off a worm head, us Pro’s do it all the time)

That’s right ………….. I consider myself a Pro. My livelihood comes from the worm industry. It’s grueling hours…….. having to do trade shows for fertilizer and knee pad companies but it comes with the territory. They pay the bills so I can travel around the country looking for crawler heaven and following the dream.
tyee
Posted 4/2/2007 12:38 PM (#53513 - in reply to #43490)

Holy cow I give ya a towsand buks for that one, I'm gonna take up breedin 'em and dat one "could" be a good stud.

Another 500 last night, eyes gots'em in a cooler with all the right stuff but eyes tink dey is gonna suffocate anyone got a suggestion on how biga cooler I need to sufficiently keep a towsand ofem alive?
Good Luck
Tyee
sworrall
Posted 4/2/2007 12:49 PM (#53515 - in reply to #53513)

Not going to hook THAT crawler in the head, would be too noisy.
butch
Posted 4/2/2007 1:03 PM (#53516 - in reply to #43490)

I heard a rumor that the DNR is going to require permits for Crawler tournaments. Also there is talk about a culling study and all the crawlers are going to have to pay for there right to pick because of this study. They need to set up release beds and control beds to study the impact that tournament crawlering will have on the future of the sport. Plus many of the locals have formed a group caled the lawn association and they are petitioning the DNR to ban tournament crawlering on there lawns. There will be a meeting in Oshkosh on the 22nd of april I hope to see a good tournout of the tournament crawler guys to suport there sport.
jerry
Posted 4/2/2007 2:34 PM (#53521 - in reply to #53516)

And to think I questioned the creativity of some of our friend here...:) This thing has morphed into something............without explanation. I think you guys are hitting on the next big sensation. Great job getting in on the ground floor!!!!
Horshak
Posted 4/2/2007 4:06 PM (#53530 - in reply to #43490)

And to think my wife says I'm whacked! I got to let her read this. You guys are killin me. By the way, how does one go about starting off in the crawlering tournaments? After being married for 7 years (Yesterday) I got pretty good and handling a crawler! LOL!

Edited by Horshak 4/2/2007 4:07 PM
Purple Skeeter
Posted 4/2/2007 4:30 PM (#53533 - in reply to #53530)

Just got back from my every other Monday trip to the Capitol in Madison, I could not believe my eyes... huge crowds from P. E. T. C. (people for the ethical treatment of crawlers) chanting "Hell no we won't hoe"

Their list of demands included: no driving or walking on the roads or sidewalks for 24 hours after it rains and kids will not be allowed to play on the lawns untill it freezes.

500+ people bunched up on the concrete sidewalks and steps not wanting to step on the grass. I managed to catch a snapshot of their logo...

Dominic

(PETC Logo.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PETC Logo.jpg (160KB - 305 downloads)
bagz
Posted 4/2/2007 7:08 PM (#53545 - in reply to #43490)

Gosh! We gotta start fishing. This is out of control!
AXL
Posted 4/2/2007 11:34 PM (#53555 - in reply to #43490)

Purple Skeeter,

I recently sent in my registration in for your upcoming National Crawler Pro/AM Tournament, but have not yet received my acceptence letter. I had a few questions about your event as well.

1. Is the whole system open, or are there boundaries we need to be aware of?

2. Is there a size limit involved?

3. Is the use of a climber stand ok ??

4. May we use mustard seed as an attractant?

5. What is going to be the official measuring device for this tournament. last year you went with the Kitz and Fiel 25 foot retractable Tape Measure, but it was not available for all of us and we did have some issues at the weigh -in. I think we should all go with a Craftsman series, Model 200 12 foot Tape measure this year. Maybe we could discuss this at the upcoming rules meeting.

6. Also, seeing how Shep does not have a full lawn in place yet, is he legal for this tourney? He has an unfair advantage, don't you agree?

7. Is there bonus money for a pulling one of the hybrid crawlers that slightly resemble Sunshine?

8. Last year Tyee was crawlering in a corn field, is this accepted seeing how I do not have access to such areas?

9. I am sorry to be such a pest, but I need to know soon or else I am going to go to the annual CCC (Canada Crawler Convention) in Montreal.

Thanks for your time Purple skeeter and I look forward to seeing you on the crawler grounds!

AXL

www.nikekneepads.com
www.cateyez.com
www.pickemlikeabird.com
www.distilledwater.org

Axl
Posted 4/3/2007 12:32 AM (#53558 - in reply to #43490)

UPDATE- With the full moon, i just went outside to check my crawler cam, pic is shown here!

(untitled.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments untitled.JPG (37KB - 335 downloads)
butch
Posted 4/3/2007 6:37 AM (#53559 - in reply to #43490)

I was out crawler picking last night trying to fine tune my crawlering skills when I stumbled into this giant it may be a new Michigan state record. The DNR currently has posestion of it and I am waitng confermation of the record.

Edited by butch 4/3/2007 6:39 AM

(state record crawler.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments state record crawler.jpg (15KB - 293 downloads)
Viking
Posted 4/3/2007 8:34 AM (#53564 - in reply to #53559)

Butch,

That picture has been floating around the internet for weeks. Everyone knows it was the Washington State record and you couldn't have caught it in the UP
butch
Posted 4/3/2007 10:04 AM (#53572 - in reply to #53564)

Hey it took me 2 hours this morning to find that picture give me some credit

Edited by butch 4/3/2007 10:09 AM
Purple Skeeter
Posted 4/3/2007 4:05 PM (#53626 - in reply to #43490)

THe NCA just released this photo from the the first event of the season, I believe that winning crawler is over the 12" slot limit.

PS

(tourney.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tourney.jpg (113KB - 317 downloads)
jerry
Posted 4/3/2007 4:15 PM (#53628 - in reply to #53626)

LOL!!!!!! OMG.....that is too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eye Lunker
Posted 4/3/2007 7:33 PM (#53646 - in reply to #53628)

This whole thread is hilarious!!!!Keep me laughing boys!
tyee
Posted 4/3/2007 9:16 PM (#53652 - in reply to #53646)

Well guys the second event is near and in order to prequalify you don't need to worry about being the first to send in your money to get the early launch time, all you have to do is make a new friend! Here's how! just click on the link attached!

Good Luck
Tyee

http://file.sugarqube.com/Cards/jblo_The_Worm_Game.swf?PL=L400x300&...

Edited by tyee 4/3/2007 9:18 PM
wannagopro
Posted 4/3/2007 11:23 PM (#53659 - in reply to #43490)

So there i was, out in the backyard this evening(2nd outing of the season for me), and was having some issues with landing 'em tonight. they kept breaking off just before full extraction, i think it may have had something to do with frozen fingers due to the FROST that was forming as i was on my hands and knees..........should have had a few dozen, but with the wifes birthday, had to cut the evening short and spend "quality time" with her.........she dint buy the excuse that if i dint pick crawlers tonight, shed go hungry this summer
Sunshine
Posted 4/4/2007 9:00 AM (#53679 - in reply to #43490)
Subject: disclaimer of crawlering reports

Gentlemen:

This thread was finally brought to my attention by a common friend.

A few disclaimers are in order.

First, I have never slept with that worm. I do not know the worm in question. And any similarities between myself and the offspring of said worm is purely coincidental.

I believe that the resemblance of said crawler and myself is just living proof that nature is a beautiful and wonderful thing. Mother Nature is just showing us how beautiful her creatures really are. I also now believe that you really can find duplicate snow flakes if you look hard enough.

Disclaimer No. 2
That picture of me on stage for a National Crawler Pro/AM Tournament is a fake. I repeat, it is a fake. I have and never will have any association with that event or the National Crawler Association. You people are sadistic and have no moral fiber. You yank crawlers from their homes for your own pleasure. You keep them caged like convicts only to inflict pain later with sharp hooks. That picture of two crawlers caressing and lovemaking is sick. How would you like your picture plastered all over the internet while in such a compromising position?

I believe that you sick, perverted pickers will get your just due when the Lord almighty stands before you.

You have convinced me that all real fishing tournaments should ban all live bait. The thought of you lurking in the darkness close to my home is nauseating. You may not hear the screams of the crawlers that you snatch from their loved ones, but believe me the screams are there.

Please, I ask all of you, repent! Repent now before it is too late.
Jayman
Posted 4/4/2007 9:49 AM (#53683 - in reply to #53558)

Sweet! Crawler PORN!
Purple Skeeter
Posted 4/4/2007 11:31 AM (#53695 - in reply to #53683)

"With air temperatures at 18 degrees and winds out of the north at 15 mph, day one, Apr. 4, of the Berkley/Lund Pro-Am was canceled. The weather forecast called for winds to increase to 20 mph, and ice build-up on boat decks would have presented a safety hazard. "

Sissy's... that would have never stopped the NCA....

PS
Purple Skeeter
Posted 4/4/2007 11:46 AM (#53698 - in reply to #53695)

So you say you would "never associate with the NCA"..... A picture is worth a thousand words and this one is straigt from your web site!!!

(wormpic.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments wormpic.jpg (51KB - 287 downloads)
butch
Posted 4/4/2007 2:21 PM (#53724 - in reply to #43490)

It seams the first leg of the Michigan series to be held in Upper Michigan is going to have to be reschedualed. The crawler picking conditions are about as tough as they can get here right now. Basically catch a crawler cash a check.

(DSCF0346.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCF0346.JPG (132KB - 339 downloads)
Purple Skeeter
Posted 4/4/2007 7:08 PM (#53744 - in reply to #53724)

Butch,

Gotta hand it to you... cleaver way to mark the "hot spots" on your lawn with the bikes... can I have those waypoints??

Dominic
butch
Posted 4/4/2007 8:14 PM (#53748 - in reply to #53744)

I will trade ya some crawler way points for some walleye way points on green bay

Edited by butch 4/4/2007 8:14 PM
wannagopro
Posted 4/20/2007 11:56 PM (#54673 - in reply to #43490)

CRIKEY, the big spawners were out in full force tonight, many many doubles, a few triples, what a gas. was out for an hour and managed to tank 215 biggens. I also caught the biggest NC ive ever seen in my life, easily 3x the diameter of a #2 pencil, and close to 10" long................anyone know of a taxidermist that will mount a crawler????
Purple Skeeter
Posted 4/21/2007 3:19 PM (#54681 - in reply to #54673)

I know that the upcoming tournaments have everyone tight lipped... but please, a few hotspots and pictures go a long way when you are hard at work and can sneek a minute to gaze at a beautiful 10 incher "as thick as a pencil" posted here on WF.

For those of that live far far from the pristine conditions for crawlering in New London and upper michigan areas, please post a pick once in a while.

By the way, the EPA and the Wisconsin DNR have just issued a heath warning for crawlers over 6 inches in the Neenah-Menasha area. Individuals should only harvest 4-6 per night due to health concerns and pregnant women are not advised to handle crawers more than once per month. I hope my wife does not hear about this or I'll never get her to wake up at 2 in the morning after a big storm again...

PS
rangerpat
Posted 4/23/2007 4:53 PM (#54755 - in reply to #54673)

I don't know of a taxidermist, but it's common knowledge that Sunshine has been known to mount a few on those long lonely road trips. See Ya, Pat
Sunshine
Posted 4/24/2007 5:12 AM (#54790 - in reply to #54755)

Thanks for the plug Pat. No really, thanks for the plug! Just to clarify, I only do replicas. I have a hard time handling those slimy long things.

On another note:
It's rumored that the PWT and the FLW will now have a night crawler tournament prior to each and every fishing tournament. Contestants will carry the total weight of the crawlers into the fishing tournament. It's rumored that this is their way around the VHS virus. All contestants will only be able to use the night crawlers they catch. This experimental challenge will be conducted tonight at a surprise event in Winneconnie. All media outlets have been notified and plan to cover the inaugural event. Word on the street has it that our own Ranger Pat will be the weigh master because of his long history of handling slimy worms.

If this takes off look for seining for minnows next.
tyee
Posted 4/24/2007 7:45 AM (#54798 - in reply to #54790)

I failed miserably in my first event, I just couldn't get myself to start the generator and probe the yard or hook up the sprinkler during the daylight hours thats unethical and inhumane! I know there are guys that do it but I just couldn't bring myself down to that level.

I still think if the event were held at dawn or dusk I would be able to contend so I am dropping out of the circuit and joing the MWLA (Mid-West Leach Association), theres nothing like using i Pigs head on a piece of bailing twine for bait and WOW does that produce. Now thats something I can do from 8-5.

Good luck
Tyee
P.S Don't forget to carve out the skull, makes a great bowl to hold them in when your pulling it up! Thse blood suckers I can party with!

Edited by tyee 4/24/2007 7:47 AM
Axl
Posted 4/24/2007 1:35 PM (#54823 - in reply to #43490)

TYEE,

I have been leaching in the MWLA for years now, welcome aboard. Here is a pic from last years event as we were coming into the weigh-in.

(100_2103.JPG)

(100_2101.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 100_2103.JPG (16KB - 306 downloads)
Attachments 100_2101.JPG (39KB - 306 downloads)
Purple Skeeter
Posted 4/24/2007 9:43 PM (#54845 - in reply to #53724)

Hahahah... You expect us to believe that there is a league for Leaches... Ya right.. how dumb do you think us guys that are in the NCA are...

Purple Skeeter
www.bussbeading.com
www.flw/crawlerdivision.gov
tyee
Posted 4/26/2007 10:23 PM (#54951 - in reply to #54845)

PS I'm the king of the Leach league!!!!!! Decided to try one more time at the NCA tonight and managed another 5 dozen. unfortunately the cold spell we had hit my first batch pretty hard and I lost half of them, I presented some ideas to the bedding mfg about a insulated container wrapped in 20ga and a couple 9volts, were puttin together a prototype gonna blow them out the door at 9.99ea and try and beat the competition to the punch and corner the market. Not much room in there for commissions or royalties so were workin for free again, but I'll get the product at cost when we take the design to China next year!
Good luck
Tyee

Edited by tyee 4/26/2007 10:26 PM
Axl
Posted 4/27/2007 12:39 AM (#54953 - in reply to #43490)

Grat night on the east shores here at home for catching crawlers. Ended up with several dozen from 5 to 8 inches. I was a little shocked as to how the winds died down and the hunting really went sour. I am gonna be at the rules meeting on Saturday for the MWS selling them out of the back of my truck. A guy has to make a buck somehow. I tried some of Purple Skeeters bedding and I want you all to know that it is good stuff, and I suggest you all go out and get some. PS you gotta great sponsor there. I am really considering not joining the NCA this year, any thoughts on this would be appreciated. MWLA is now the place to go!!!! They offer better kick back prizes if you use cool whip containers and also if you use duracell batteries! FYI
Purple Skeeter
Posted 4/30/2007 5:02 PM (#55065 - in reply to #43490)

Just a quick reminder to everyone in my area, severe weather is on its way so please do not take the risk and go out crawlering tonight. I know it's tempting to go out and hit all your hotspots, but please use caution, the NCA does not want any of it's members taking any unnecessary chances.... the crawlers will still be there after the storm passes.... There is no truth to the rumor that crawlers are driven to the surface by lighting.

Vice President Skeeter

(yes.. I was elected last week... if you don't show up for the meetings, you can't complain about our decisions)
Wannagopro
Posted 4/30/2007 10:56 PM (#55082 - in reply to #55065)

Purple Skeeter - 4/30/2007 5:02 PM

Vice President Skeeter

(yes.. I was elected last week... if you don't show up for the meetings, you can't complain about our decisions)

well for cripes sakes, yet another organization that dont let out the dates and times of their meetings. "corporate" America at its best again.....................lol
Tyee unlogged
Posted 5/16/2007 2:09 PM (#55928 - in reply to #43490)

Equipment failure!!!!! Last night I was on a hot bite was just about to fill the 1 gallon pail to the brim and, I saw the long eared rascal run across the yard right over my path. Who do I complain to? Stacker? since your the VP you should know who's on the ethics board. He just ruined my bite.

That little bugger kept beating that drum as he darted into the street right in front of that pimple faced kid and his souped up 4cyl Neon. Needless to say he crumbled under the pressure. I should have known my Energizers wouldn't make it an entire season. You know the cheap bastrd I am, but with the price of fuel these days I couldn't justify the added expense for a good fuel cell when the season started. With all these skyrocketing costs I had to stay closer to the launch and work twice as hard for my catch!

If I'm going to compete I need to find more sponsors (E-Cell ya got your ears on?) to offset all these costs and I'm willing to work all those long hours to save a few bucks.

Good Luck
Tyee
Rich S
Posted 5/16/2007 2:39 PM (#55930 - in reply to #53467)

MCC Director - 4/2/2007 5:43 AM

Some of you crawler hunters have taken to posting on the internet that "you will never crawl another MCC tournament" or "I know there are a lot of people who will NEVER support crawler picking again." I understand emotions can run high, but statements like that simply inflame the situation. And in the process damage is done to the reputation of all crawler picking by a vocal few; and that hurts all the worm pickers of the MCC. If you can't say online what you would say directly to me -- then don't say it. We are all bent over with flashlight in hand together! A decision was made and we picked during bad conditions, get over it. And if you do want to talk to me – my lawn is always available --. I will personally discuss this with any of you. So give me a shout-- or call your NCA reps -- rather than make comments online. We do have a clause in our rules that states:

Crawler pickers will conduct themselves in a true sportsmanlike, courteous, safe and ethical manner at all times. Any unfavorable conduct or action by a contestant, which could negatively reflect on the Crawler picking circuit, will be grounds for disqualification or rejection of future lawn hunts.

Keep that in mind. You sign on to crawler hunt with us and you agree to give up all of your freedom of speech rights....and we expect nothing less. Never discuss our circuit in groups larger than 3, make sure that you wear the circuit clothing while discussing our organization and report ALL unhappy crawlers to us immediately. They will be dealt with in the spirit of the creed in crawler picking.

We are watching you

I was just reading back and found this post. This has to be the funniest thing I have ever read on Walleyefirst lol I can't stop laughing!
Purple Skeeter
Posted 5/16/2007 4:53 PM (#55939 - in reply to #43490)

Tyee,

Just relax, I'm sure it was just some Tournament guy that was pre-crawlering... I was out with my brother fishing today and he got a flatt of them imported crawers from a tackle shop in Kaukauna.... most of them were 10 inches long and as fat as my finger... After seeing the size of those, I'm thinking of organizing a group trip to Canada for a 3 day crawlering trip... does anyone know how many crawlers you can bring back from Canada..

Tonight should be a great night for crawlering... remember, my lawn is a preserve and anyone caught crawlering on my lawn will be turned over to the proper authority....

Purple "Crawler" Skeeter
Uncle Paul
Posted 5/17/2007 8:58 AM (#55955 - in reply to #43490)

As a registered member of the NCA I want to file an official complaint against one of the NCA members. Last night I was on a hunt at one of my spots and I noticed that I had been followed by this no good tail piping piece of dung, after a long and stealthy stalk I had a jumbo in reach and the perpetrator swooped in and stole my prize. I don’t care if it’s a public park it’s my spot and everybody needs to keep out of it. I want this lowlife punished. I can supply his NCA numbers and name as the scoundrel didn’t even have the brains to cover them and they were clearly visible on his bucket. I will also be sending a copy of this letter to his sponsors, and tell them about the kind of person they support. I expect the NCA to come down hard on this member as this can not be tolerated. Paul NCA # 333
Sunshine
Posted 5/17/2007 9:44 AM (#55962 - in reply to #55955)

Paul,

The NCA does not police their own. This kind of thing has been going on for years and they do nothing about it. As far as I'm concerned, all they do is take your money, give you a fancy decal for your bucket and setup some minor discounts that you could get on your own. That's why I quit. You're throwing your money away and into the pockets of their VP.
Loueye
Posted 5/17/2007 11:38 AM (#55972 - in reply to #55962)

You guys are all crazy, ha!
Uncle Paul
Posted 5/17/2007 12:45 PM (#55983 - in reply to #55972)

Don’t get me started on that minor discount racket, I ordered some of that Super Duty
Bedding and when it gets to the house it says Made in China. So I mix it up just as the directions say even added the "free at no extra cost worm food". When I checked my stash the next day all were dead, deader than a June bug on a Harley riders tooth on a hot July night. The Vet says something about food poisoning, the next day I get a purple envelope in the mail that smells like Yamalube offering to restock my supply but I must pay by cash only. Got to go I have a hearing in front of the judge, my local chapter of Crankbait Anonymous is trying to dump me says they got proof of me using live bait. Paul
Purple Skeeter
Posted 5/17/2007 4:05 PM (#55996 - in reply to #55983)

Sorry for getting back to you so late... I was actually on the water all day fishing!!!

To report any activity not becoming of an NCA Member, please submit their name and number usually listed on the side of their Cool Whip Container.

Remember, all NCA Menbers are required by the bylaws of the association to us the standard 16oz Coolwhip, non-fat container per our sponsership agreement.

I had a crawler on today that was so big... the Walleye pulled the board back and bit it off 3 times and before he got to the hooks...

Purple "Crawler" Skeeter

PS... caught 15 Walleyes before noon using those foriegn Canandian Crawlers
Uncle Paul
Posted 5/18/2007 8:16 AM (#56017 - in reply to #55996)

Please say it isn’t so the NCA has given in to the nutrition police, non-fat Coolwhip . It’s clear you have not seen me in person last time I was stopped by the Coast Guard I was short one life vest so being the quick thinking person that I am I simply removed my shirt and because it was the day after a Bears game I was still in Bears Orange and the Coast Guard thought I was wearing a life vest, got off free on that one. As long as I’m on the subject any of you guys know what Permanent Dye means? Paul NCA#333
Horshak
Posted 5/18/2007 1:59 PM (#56031 - in reply to #43490)

Uncle Paul, I am Polish so forgive me for trying to answer your question. I seriously think Permanent Dye is when they cannot resuscitate you. Happy crawlering.
Purple Skeeter
Posted 6/7/2007 2:26 PM (#56960 - in reply to #43490)

For those of you in my neck of the woods.... look West young man... it looks like the rain and storms could produce some of the best crawlering in weeks.

Please remember that those of you that are crawlering in this weekend's NCA/Merc/Cool Whip Nationals have to be off the lawn by Friday at midnight (would not make any sense if it were 12 noon.. would it). Rumor has it that many of the members that have been pre-crawlering have had a pretty hot bite..err pick going for the last week with many large crawlers being reported.

If threatening weather approaches, remember to take shelter tonight....

Purple Skeeter

Fat and Sassy
Posted 8/21/2007 3:08 PM (#60315 - in reply to #43490)

Any updates with all the recent rain we have been having? I am thinking of heading out tonight along the south shore in search of some fat and sassy ones....
Mark Komo
Posted 8/21/2007 3:29 PM (#60317 - in reply to #43490)

Pre crawlering? Championships right around the corner,no?
bradley894
Posted 8/21/2007 3:33 PM (#60319 - in reply to #43490)

there is the biggest crawler that comes out of the crack in the sidewalk just off my front porch.. he is huge gotta be 2 feet long, came out two nights in a row,, same place , grabbed him the first night but he put up too much of a fight,, always leeves his tail in a bit.... he was out last night again but when i walked down my steps he slid back in only peeking out at me . same crawler same place just a bit smarter than before.. i wanna catch him so i can put his picture up and then try to breed him or something... any advice ? he is smart. oh and no coments about me trying to breed him,,, you know what i mean! thanks for the help.. remember i cant underestamate his sneekyness...
bradley894
Posted 8/21/2007 4:28 PM (#60324 - in reply to #60319)

you guys think im full of crapola , just wait till i catch this thing.. my wife thinks im nuts too.. tonight im going to try plan F .. im setting up the shop vac facing his hole... running the extention cord up my steps so i can plug it in when he comes out , without even opening the front door... we will see who gets the last chuckle... this magnum crawler will be mine! he has no idia who he is dealing with..
Purple Skeeter
Posted 8/21/2007 8:29 PM (#60335 - in reply to #43490)

Mark,

I'm glad you reminded me that the NCA will be sponsoring it's 10th annual championship crawlering tournament on September 31st. Check your local listings for full coverage. At this time, we are still looking for a place to hold the championships. Channel 2 (WBAYTV) did an exposé on the sightings of thousands of dead crawlers "all over the street" after the most recent tournament. Because of the news reports, area golf courses, football stadiums and soccer clubs have been very reluctant to sanction our championship.

If any members of Walleyefirst, Muskyfirst or the all new Salmonfirst have a lawn that is properly manicured and fertilized and have a loose soil area for catch and release, please contact the current President of the NCA... @

Purple Skeeter
1 crawler drive
Lawndale, WI 55555-1212

Buss Beading
Posted 8/21/2007 9:44 PM (#60338 - in reply to #43490)

The First Annual Crawler Power Ratings sponsored by BUSS BEDDING came out today after a secret meeting with the NCA and the MWLA. The following are the top ten crawlers in the world.......

1. Purple Skeeter
2. AXL
3. Butch
4. Jerry
5. budsbud66
6. Sunshine
7. SWORALL
8. Viking
9. Shep
10. TYEE

Honorable mentions:
Stacker,Horshak,Rich_S,Guest
Winnebago Tomato
Posted 8/21/2007 10:37 PM (#60340 - in reply to #60315)

I went out to my garden and I noticed all of my tomatos had worms, any help out there for me?
Mark Komo
Posted 8/22/2007 6:49 AM (#60343 - in reply to #43490)

What no ironman listing?
tyee
Posted 8/22/2007 3:15 PM (#60378 - in reply to #43490)

TENTH???????? Does that mean I made the championship? I better see if the 3 muskateers need a 4th or I'll never make it to day 2!
Good Luck
Tyee
Shep
Posted 8/27/2007 11:20 AM (#60546 - in reply to #60378)

Sorry, Worrall buys his crawlers! I saw him! I have pictures, too! And Tyee has a network. No teams allowed!
bradley894
Posted 8/27/2007 4:41 PM (#60561 - in reply to #60546)

i got him guys

(LW0011b.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments LW0011b.jpg (15KB - 323 downloads)
Purple Skeeter
Posted 8/27/2007 11:32 PM (#60582 - in reply to #60561)

I'm really beside myself these days... lots of rain and perfect crawlering conditions, but we put a brick patio over my hotspot in the back corner of the yard so the family could have a firepit and not get there feet "all dirty". I know things have to change, but why my favorite spot for crawlering... 15 years of mulch laid down to build the soil to a perfect condition. My wife knew that was my best spot and insisted we put it there, next thing I know, she'll be asking me to sell my Coolwhip container. Guess I'll have to take all my waypoints off my handheld Lowrance.

Don't know about you guys, but in my yard, all this rain has caused the grass to grow so fast that by the time I get the lawn cut and the mower put back in the garage, the grass is already too tall to even see the crawlers. Ive tried pushing the mower while facing backwards, but the vibration of the twin mulching blades causes the crawlers to go deep.

I was thinking about building one of those electric stick things, but I like to go crawlering bare foot and someone has told me that won't work.... when the lawn is wet.

Well, that's it for now...

Purple Skeeter
Jim Ordway
Posted 8/28/2007 12:51 PM (#60603 - in reply to #60582)

PS,
You guys are truly killing me with this post. What a great bunch of minds!
I am so impressed with this thread, that I decided I would really like to meet and trade ideas with my wormy friends.
Unfortunately, I have a pressing engagement on 9-31 and I will not be able to attend the 10th annual tourney. It breaks my heart, but my wife won't let me back out of the engagement.
Best of luck to all of the attendees. I wish I could have been there.
Take care,
Jim O
bradley894
Posted 8/28/2007 1:06 PM (#60605 - in reply to #60603)

you know that crawler is big when you look in your bucket after tossing him in and find out he coffed up 2 Robins and a beetle only found in china.. i would like to comment that the crawlers running quite small at the bait shop .. what gives?
tyee
Posted 8/28/2007 1:38 PM (#60607 - in reply to #60605)

Bradley, It's all about the presentation, Even though the bait shops have the "yard" crawlers, the biguns are out there to be had. Once you get your "feet wet" you will know what I mean...... OOOPS did I give away someones secret strategy?
Good luck
Tyee
bradley894
Posted 8/28/2007 3:50 PM (#60610 - in reply to #60607)

i have a question,, im thinking about turning pro but my cool whip container is only the small size and i have lost the top and replaced it with the piggly wiggly food club brand lid,,, it is a 1998 edition and well past its expiration date printed on the side. will my aplication for the next event be denied? is there anything i can do? also ,, there are a lot of big names on the top ten list,, its kind of intimidating , is there some type of pro-am that maybe i could walk along maybe hold the coolwipe container of a guy like shep or purple or someone big ,,, i know they will not let me hold the flash light just stay back and shut up but still i would like to learn... anyone looking for a co-crawler to sign up with for the 2008 season i could chip in a bit for some bataries or something,,, and what about a live leaderboard,,, i would love to see my favorite crawler guys as they come in live... maybe some photo,s its hard to make the jump and turn pro, its dark outside at night , kind of creepy you know... and well i dont know if i would servive , i have a family that comes first.. what should i do?
bradley894
Posted 8/28/2007 4:06 PM (#60611 - in reply to #43490)

oh and i want to let you all no that photo above about the giant crawler i caught , well its a cheep download from the internet ,, im sure experianced crawler guys have seen it many times, its just a cheep cry out for attn: on my part,, im sure there may be some tuff love handed down by the NCA & i dont blame the MWLA if they throw out my aplication.. its just that we all dream of turning pro ,, we all look up to you guys,,, those fancy flashlights and head lamp things, those riggs you roll up in and those coolwhip containers with all the stickers on them! my wife said if i start crawlering for a living she is going to take the kids and split... she is sick and tired of my dirty fingernails ,,, and when she needs a little something for on top of her punkin pie all she comes up with out of the frige is worms ,,, how do you guys pull this off...
Shep
Posted 8/29/2007 7:32 AM (#60624 - in reply to #60611)

Brad, ae you related to Komo? You two guys keep talking about women and their pies! Let's try to keep this family rated. Perhpas you didn't completely read the NCA application . The personal conduct clause? You better read it again, and stick to it.

And as far as those photo's of big crawlers? Stop holding them at arms length. These are not Bago walleyes that you're trying to make look like GB eyes! Besides, you should let those big guy/girls go. They are the breeders, and are too big for harnesses anyway. And if you try to jig with them, they are too bouyant. Requires a very heavy jig to get decent contact with the bottom, even in the slightest current. Don't ask how I know this.

Jim O, did you get your oil? And please keep the crawler cooler a secret for a few more years.
Jim Ordway
Posted 8/29/2007 10:21 AM (#60638 - in reply to #60624)

Shep,
yep on the oil and yep I can keep a secret. But, now that it is all over the internet, is it still a secret????
Jim O
Purple Skeeter
Posted 8/29/2007 2:23 PM (#60657 - in reply to #60638)

Jim,

Thanks for reminding our newbie’s that the NCA restricts it's members and their families to a strict code of conduct. We learned long ago that loose lips sink Walleye Boats... err... something like that.

On another note, it sounds like you are campaigning for the Presidents term. As you all know, I will be stepping down after the Championship on September 31st to spend more time with my family. The demands of the position, dealing with the media, all that bending over and all the traveling have taken their toll on me and my family. Quite frankly, my kids are tired of the outlandish attacks that our family has had to endure from PETC (people for the ethical treatment of crawlers). I will retain the position of Chief Financial Officer/Art Director and will also remain on the board of directors to ensure the long term viability of the organization.

The board will convene shortly after the tournament results to elect a new President; it will be televised on WBAY TV. As a signal, we will release white smoke from the back of my 2 stroke Yamaha 150 to indicate a new president has been chosen.

All applications must be hand written accompanied by a log of waypoints of every position you have ever caught a Walleye in the lower 48 states.

Don't worry, I'm not going away, this will give me more time to fish and then tell everyone exactly where and how the Walleyes are biting. In addition, I'll get to spent time on my new patio.

Purple Skeeter
President NCA

(patio.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments patio.jpg (121KB - 283 downloads)
Viking
Posted 8/29/2007 2:25 PM (#60658 - in reply to #60657)

Just wait until the CU (Crawlers Unlimited) crowd gets after you for destroying that valuable crawler habitat.
Mark Komo
Posted 8/29/2007 5:31 PM (#60669 - in reply to #43490)

What are the plans for the CU banquet this year? I need to get a list of the GPS waypoint for the new structures. I understand they are to provide cover for spawn.

For the record, its women, pie and chicken!!!
butch
Posted 8/29/2007 9:16 PM (#60679 - in reply to #43490)

I am so pumped im in the top ten in the crawlering world I think I might have to give up walleye fishing!!!
Axl
Posted 8/29/2007 10:32 PM (#60680 - in reply to #60679)

The MWLA is proud to announce its 2008 schedule. We have worked hard to bring you a variety of terrains in 2008. This will be the most trying season ever, but it also will be the most rewarding. Below are the dates and list of the events for 2008.

April 15...Chequamagon National Forest....Frost may be an issue and could possibly cancel this event.

May 12...Lambeau Field....We just hope that the packers do not change the turf before this event.

June 23...Miller Park....The Brewers are on the road and said they would leave the roof open if weather permits.

July 14...Jefferson Park in Menasha....By now the geese have the place soiled and it should make for some great crawlering. We suggest knee pads here.

August 5...Camp Randall Stadium....This has always been a tough event, and two years ago only a few were caught. You really have to pre-crawl for this one.

September 22...TBD by the members of the MWLA....We believe in letting our members choose a spot each year, unlike the NCA.

We hope you enjoy the new schedule and I look forward to seeing you at the events listed. We also have had to make one rule change for next years events. The use of mustard seed is now illegal, and anyone using this will be removed from the MWLA.

AXL

President of MWLA

"If it is not the MWLA, it just aint Crawlering."

Viking
Posted 8/30/2007 8:21 AM (#60683 - in reply to #60680)

Axl,

I'm surprised you forgot to mention the new sponsor, Kneel-N-Stay. I'm looking forward to the Lambeau Field event. Given the Packers poor running game, there should be plenty of #4's blood and body parts pounded into the turf to make those crawlers extra fat and sassy.

Komo,

As usual the CU event will be held in January during the off-season and will again provide commemorative Cool Whip containers. However, this year's edition will feature the newly patented Oxy-Flow lid to keep those babies lively right up to the weigh in.
bradley894
Posted 8/30/2007 2:40 PM (#60707 - in reply to #43490)

i have to make this short,,. i noticed on the schedual the august event at camp randal... took axl's advise and being an august event next year tried to get a jump on my pre-crawlering this year wile its still august... wile out last night with my flashlight , i was working the 20-30 yardline left hash and i looked up and saw about a dozen flashlights comming towards me at a high rate of speed ,,, wow i thaught , now i can talk to some fellow local crawlers and get some hot spots for next year... the next thing i knew i had a mouth full of artifical turf i was being tazored and my coolwhip container was melting im my hand.... thank god i didnt find any crawlers yet or they would have been fried... now im stripped naked and my own flashlight was used against me as i was questioned over and over again ,, they said there is no evidence of the CU or the NCA & MWCA... i stuck to my story but they think im holding out on them.... anyway im stuck here in Mad town.... they wont let me go until i tell them what they want to hear... i just dont know what that is? are there any fellow crawlers out there that have some pull? can anyone get me out of this? does this CU NCA or MWCA exsist? you guys are full of #### arent you? WHAT KIND OF SICK TWISTED PERSON WOULD START THIS THREAD.... YOUR ACTIONS AFFECT OTHERS LIVES!!!!!!!!!! NOW WILL SOMONE PLEASE GET ME OUT OF THIS MESS?
Shep
Posted 8/31/2007 4:06 PM (#60754 - in reply to #60707)

That's why you can't fish tomorrow! Call Trautman. He lives in Madtown. Let it ring long, as he will be outside, precrawlering.
Anyone
Posted 10/2/2007 2:38 AM (#62016 - in reply to #43490)

Anyone been out crawelering lately. i have never had much luck with all these south winds lately. If you had to hire a crawler guide, who would all of you guys suggest? It sounds to me like most of you have given up crawlering for the year, or are you all crawlering in the woods now? Also, who was the winner of the Crawler Championship, and why ws WalleyeFirst not doing a live broadcast on this awesome event?
bradley894
Posted 10/4/2007 4:04 PM (#62169 - in reply to #62016)

sorry the crawlering has gone underground as we have dicovered that our state legislature is planing on making us buy a stamp and want to meet with us reguarding registration and fees for having a tournament.. im not a hard core crawler and therfore have not earned the respect of the competitive crawlers out there but the reason you havent gottn a responce to your post , between me and you is that the boys are laying low.... it started out when one of the big names got there garage searched and they seezed a coolwhip container with some sponsors on it ... they took all the crawlers in his fridge and his maglight. something about using the peoples natural resourses for personal gain. either way dont think they are ignoring your post , im sure there is a secret meeting going on ... im sure all the crawler insiders are there,,,, im sure they will serface in time.. when its time they will call upon us to join the fight,,, and our sheer noumbers will rise up to defend our rights ,,,
Sunshine
Posted 10/4/2007 4:49 PM (#62171 - in reply to #62169)

Anyone know any late season secrets to prevent your equipment and crawlers from freezing? Anyone use antifreeze with their cool whip containers? How do you keep your batteries in top shape?

I know it's not legal in tournaments but I am able to extend my season by using electronic probes. Works good when sticking it into the ground too.

Shep tells me his secret is working areas around in-ground pools. Says the ground doesn't freeze as quick.

Anyone else have secrets they want to share?

Brad, I'll be happy to pay for a stamp as long as they do not put a limit on the amount of crawlers I can keep. Unfortunately I also heard that they are thinking about putting on restrictions on when we can crawler. Anyone else hear that they are prohibiting any catch and keep of crawlers during July?
Shep
Posted 10/5/2007 2:48 PM (#62231 - in reply to #62171)

That's it, Sunshine. No more secrets for you!

Besides, you don't answer my e-mails anymore. I invited you to fish the Fox with me, and you ignored me. Sheesh! I'm busy the next two weekends. After that, I will have opening seats.
bradley894
Posted 10/13/2007 9:56 AM (#62492 - in reply to #43490)

my best Night crawlering this year.... it was a nice evening but didnt rain in weeks,, i was desperate .... wile out crawlering i came across the mother load a few days before the mws tourny out of green bay,,, wile crawlering i found about a dozen dozen .. a gross you could say of the nicest crawlers iv ever seen.. all looked like they were hand washed and kissed goodnight every evening before bedtime.... also found a perfectly good pork rhine and hot beef stick still in the wrapper... and a swisher sweet wood tip .... ive gone back to this spot several times and it seems to have dried up,,,, so i guess the big tuffy in the hooters parking lot is fair game if anyone sees it... just trying to help out ... late season crawlering can be tuff.. any tips would be appreciated...
Buss Bedding
Posted 10/28/2007 2:42 AM (#62857 - in reply to #43490)

The First Annual Crawler Power Ratings sponsored by BUSS BEDDING came out today after a secret meeting with the NCA and the MWLA. The following are the top ten crawlers in the world.......

1. Purple Skeeter
2. AXL
3. Butch
4. Jerry
5. budsbud66
6. Sunshine
7. SWORALL
8. Viking
9. Shep
10. TYEE

Honorable mentions:
Stacker,Horshak,Rich_S,Guest

This just in, the top ten has had an issue with the following people violating league rules. The rules state that there can be no use of an electronic device to contact people during an event. It has come to our attention, that Shep and Sunshine have been using Motorola Phones in their quest for a title. They have therefore been banned from any further events this year. This is official, as the complaint has come to us in writing. We are looking into it as we type. Does anyone else have any more complaints we should know about???
Ringworm
Posted 1/7/2008 2:17 PM (#64600 - in reply to #62857)

Just checked the driveway at 2:13 pm, and although there were signs present, no crawlers to be found. I would of thunk with all this rain we got today, the run was on!
Purple Skeeter
Posted 1/7/2008 4:55 PM (#64607 - in reply to #43490)

I just checked the refrig in the garage where I keep my boat and the crawlers I left there from November are dead... I'm so sorry, please don't turn me into the crawler protection services.

I tried to release them onto the exposed ground, but they all died of blunt force impact while trying the dig their poor little bodies into the frozen turf.

On another note... my sub pump hole in the basement would make a great livewell right now... if I can get it to pass a test for VHS or CDW etc.... it sounds like it's pumping water out faster than my boat did last summer when I launched without the plug in.

Edited by Purple Skeeter 1/7/2008 5:00 PM
Axl
Posted 1/7/2008 5:19 PM (#64610 - in reply to #64607)

I tried to release them onto the exposed ground, but they all died of blunt force impact while trying the dig their poor little bodies into the frozen turf.

PS, are you sure it was the blunt force impact or was it your release technique? You do know that the proper way to release a crawler back into the wild is to hold it by the collar and support its underside while it attempts to burrough, correct?

I will be holding a class on proper crawler handling this spring, feel free to E-mail me at [email protected] for more details on this event.
bradley894
Posted 3/11/2008 12:54 PM (#66984 - in reply to #43490)

NEW rules ...... permits for crawler tournaments will only be granted for the hours between 7am and 5pm central durning the months of jan feb march and november dec... according to my sources anyone caught crawlering out of season or without a permit will be subject to fine; these new proposals need to be stopped... sources also tell me that for a major contribution to a top secret elected official we could have a chance to stop this before it starts.. can anyone confirm this ? where do we send our checks? also any word on the 08 season? is it me or is somone dropping the ball? how am i supposed to plan my vacation time? and to cool whip im tired of the run around! im taking my country crock container from last year ... spending my own money to get a sweet container WRAP done that says... YOUR NAME HERE! mag light , craftsman knee pads , and energizer battaries YOUR NEXT ... no more free advertizing and firemans parades for this guy! i do have a series of underground caves near my home that i am looking for a fellow crawler guy to check out... miles of cavern below the frost line... the potential this time of year is ....well its.... well im afraid to go look... i would be willing to tie a string to one of you guys so you dont get lost down there ... im afraid of the dark and clostrophobic...... any takers....? purple skeeter ...SHAME on you! blunt force impact? frozen turf? no wonder we need regulation! my new book will be out soon... Crawlering for dummies ... got the idia from you guys ... sory i didnt mention any of you... axl, skeeter , shep tyee, sunshine , bud, sworel viking , jery,,, coulnt have done it without stealing all your idias.... axl? any word on that clinic on crawler handling.... and if i fizzz a crawler what are the noumbers on post crawler tourny mortality.... ?
Mark Komo
Posted 4/8/2008 10:46 PM (#68166 - in reply to #43490)

Any new reports? Rain pounded down here. Not good news for the Illinois River, but alas, most tournaments done.

Any change in sponsors?
Purple Skeeter
Posted 4/9/2008 12:31 AM (#68167 - in reply to #60707)

Mark,

It's 12:22 am and I'm still in my office working... I can hear the rain on my skylights but I'm not sure it is warm enough for the crawlers to spawn yet. On Sunday, I had to cut the grass on the south side of the house, but on the north side, the ground is frozen and I had 3 feet of snow. I had Crawlers for Tomorrow install grass strips across my driveway to help get the spawnners across the cement.

Oh how I long for those long summer nights, bent half over (no jokes here) with flashlight in hand and a magnum cool whip container in the other, just hoping I can pull a 12 incher this year. I'm getting it mounted if I get that lucky.

If I close my eyes, I can see myself in the middle of Bago right now, running 6 boards, all with my new super triple threat spinning vortex of doom crawler harnesses.... aaaahh yes... I can see it now... a whole cooler full of refreshments and another full of crawlers...

Here's to hoping I never get the 2 mixed up!

Purple Skeeter
Axl
Posted 4/9/2008 7:17 AM (#68171 - in reply to #43490)

Purple Skeeter,

I have a few questions on these grass strips that you installed. Can you please elaborate on the size and shape of them? Were they made from Kentucky Blue Grass? Also, is Scott's Fertilizer and Weed-B-Gone still interested in sponsorship with you? I told you to give them my name, I hope it helps. My newest sponsor for the 2008 season is John Deere's new aerator system in a 52 inch deck, awesome machine, and nothing runs like a deere baby! I hope this helps put a 12 inch crawler in my new high tech storage system, but more details on this soon. Good luck to all in the 2008 season, and I hope to see you all at an upcoming NCA meeting.
Mark Komo
Posted 4/11/2008 1:28 PM (#68248 - in reply to #43490)

There's been quite the buzz in these parts about a CAN-AM. Since cross border transportation is nearly impossible, hows the NCA gonna handle that? Perhaps a function of the advisorty panel (of which I hear some seats are opening up soon!)

Also, looking forward to the new wraps coming out.

Edited by Mark Komo 4/11/2008 1:29 PM
wannagopro
Posted 4/13/2008 11:02 PM (#68328 - in reply to #43490)

Im goin for broke this year in the NCA and am gonna try to win it all, went out tonight with my daughter for her 13th birthday to a new undisclosed spot down the road and found some ultra magnum crawlers, these 12"ers you guys are longing for wont be any match for some of the ones i found tonight, youll all come in scratching your heads wondering what yer gonna have to do to catch up in the standings........................
oh and by the way...........im trying to do this with NO corporate sponsorship this season............let the picking begin
Mark Komo
Posted 4/14/2008 7:50 AM (#68334 - in reply to #43490)

At least you got someone to split expenses with, which is nice. Sounds like you got your pre crawlering program down.

When will the NCA Ironman listings be out?
bradley894
Posted 4/14/2008 5:16 PM (#68363 - in reply to #43490)

well i spent the day seagulling the fat robbins on the old football field accross from the house, for unexperianced competitive crawlers such as myself.. i just move around until i see the competion have success.... I E . the fat robbins in the neighborhood... they let you get pretty close , then fly away if they get too frustraited with your tacktics.... many a days i was able to scrape up a limmit by seagulling ......... im not proud of it.. just looking at the results, as it is a points race isnt it? lol on the triple threat vortex of doom... ive seen this invention but also have not had the chance to see it work , its going to be interesting. i think the vortex will work fine until one of the hooks drives itself into the forehead of a sheepshead... im afraid the vortex combined with the massive resistance of a sheepy spinning the opposite direction along with the gravitational pull of the earth and molecular structure of what ever this harness is made of, may turn out to be the makings of ( the perfect STORM!!) but hey , im no weather guy....
tyee
Posted 4/14/2008 8:02 PM (#68368 - in reply to #43490)

Well the season is upon us. After extensive work last fall the playing field is nearly complete. With a field rich of potting soil and 4 truckloads of "imported" pulverized black top soil 12" deep. I have planted enough earthworms to help improve the quality of the field as they are the most important nonmicroscopic soil dweller.

There are a select few jumbo crawlers that have been strategically tagged and planted. These few monsters will be more than adequate to allow the contestants to immediately notify tournamnet directors in the event they catch one so they can send over the official weights and measurers person to verify the trophy so it can be properly released to be caught again!

Earthworms are probably the most important nonmicroscopic soil dwellers. I have been advised to plant spawn (young worms in all stages of growth) for two reasons: (1) the newly hatched worms will adapt themselves more readily than mature worms to their new environment, and (2) they conserve my more valuable breeding stock for further egg capsule production. This will allow ample supply for everyone to fill their coolwhip containers.

With a little luck and good weather maybe I can host the 2008 NCA Grand Championships at the end of the season! I have secured a number of great sponsors including a large excaviting firm, a large landscaping company, Cub Cadet, Swisher lawn equipment corporation, Scotts and Ortho!

Good Luck
Tyee

(Photo_041408_001.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Photo_041408_001.jpg (46KB - 296 downloads)
wannagopro
Posted 4/16/2008 9:59 PM (#68458 - in reply to #43490)

my daughter and i went to our new "honey hole" again and ended up with 15 1/2 dozen in a mere 30 minutes, again, caught some pretty nice ultra magnums...........at this rate, im sure to be ranked near the top for most of the NCA season!!!!!!
Purple Skeeter
Posted 4/17/2008 11:01 AM (#68472 - in reply to #68458)

Jim,

The board of directors has just come out of our first quarter meeting and it was once again confirmed in section a, subsection 2g, that "no member of the NCA will willfully catch, whether for personal or competition, any crawlers from any said honey hole, unless such honey hole is forwarded in advance of any said crawlering activity to the board of directors for prior approval. At such time, upon approval, the NCA will enact a 25% bounty fee for a period not to exceed 12 months or 20 dozen 12 inch crawlers"

As the current President, I'm sorry to inform you that you are in violation of section a, subsection 2g and therefore must take the following action to maintain your good standing in the NCA:

#1 Forward to the NCA headquarters in Menasha, 20 dozen, 12 inch crawlers to be packed in Styrofoam 24 inch square containers loaded with 6 inches of Buss bedding.
#2 cease all crawlering activity until the board of directors approves your new "honey hole"

Copy sent to: Dowecrawlerandhow Law firm

Best Regards,

Purple Skeeter
President NCA

ps. After reviewing our membership records, we noticed your daughter is not a registered member. Please forward her membership fee to our headquarters and we will approve her membership at our next meeting. Untill that time, we ask that your daughter only observe your activity and not actually partake in the sport of crawlering. As you know, proper training ensures that future generations will have crawlers.

Edited by Purple Skeeter 4/17/2008 11:07 AM
wannagopro
Posted 4/17/2008 10:09 PM (#68497 - in reply to #43490)

To: President, Vice President, CEO, and NCA board of directors
C.C.: dowecrawlerandhow Law Firm

To whom it may concern,
Id like to appeal your decision about my insubordination and here are my defenses.
1.) I'm pretty sure my said honey hole has already been mentioned in this forum in the previous pages, however, not to be accused of stealing someone elses fortune, this is a very large area, with plenty of room for ALL members of the NCA to pick without running over someone elses trawler lines, nets, etc. This area is very public, although there is a large area that must be considered a refuge, because there is a 7' stone wall surrounding it, with big lights to light the entire area.
2.) I sent my daughters membership application in last week with this years membership dues, I'm thinking the post man in Menasha was a bit disgruntled on delivery day and kept the wad of cash i sent. Id be willing to bet that youll get one of those sorry about your mail postcards they like to send out usually in the spring and fall when the new cabelas and bass pro catalogs come out where they claim their machines ate your mail and all that gets delivered is a few shreds of your mailing address.
thank you for your time in reviewing this case and im assuming that your decision will benefit everyone.

Sincerely
Jim

P.S. Id like to file a formal complaint against a fellow member of the NCA for cheating. As im sure your well aware, with the sky rocketing prices of gas, food, crawler bedding, and worm food, we need to try and create a level playing field in which i personally think Tyee is trying to stretch and bend the rules a bit. Im sure most of the people here on WF and the members of the NCA will agree that not everyone can afford 12" of fresh new top soil for their picking grounds. He also claims to have tagged crawlers in his domain, with this being his personal property, how can the rest of us members be sure he doesnt have them buried in this top soil in a vented coolwhip container and marked on his handheld GPS for this NCA championship he will be hosting at the end of the season?????????
tyee
Posted 4/18/2008 7:54 PM (#68511 - in reply to #43490)

AHH But Jim I digress, I haven't submitted my field to the board for approval yet as stated in Section a, Subsection 2g ! It should be "ripe" for the picken come championship time. I am taking the year off of tourneys for obvious reasons as you can tell by the above photo. So no I won't be a participant and no I won't hide a container just below the surface for you either as others have asked, that would result in bannishment and said person would be subjected to penalties under Section 137, Subsection 2019.24 (see fine print) 25 lashings of a willow branch and branded with a hot poker scarring him for life as to prevent him from EVER participating in any organized event in the future.
Good Luck
Tyee
Mark Komo
Posted 4/19/2008 11:07 AM (#68526 - in reply to #43490)

I didnt realize there was a "minimum" distance required between NCA competitors. I am gonna try and make the rules meeting. Sounds likes some changes coming through.
bradley894
Posted 4/21/2008 11:58 AM (#68584 - in reply to #43490)

ok , after reading the 700 page rule book for the 08 season , i have come to the conclusion after writing a 500.oo check to my attorny to translatee it... that im thinking about starting a new cercuit...... i have a contact at Ben and Jerry,s , my contact said that they would be willing to sponsor a new cercuit and they have plenty of 1/2 gallon containers with plenty of new flavors that need to be represented by crawler competitors... sounds like there willing to not only throw in free ice cream but also some contingeny mony to the top finisher using a Ben and Jerys flavor.. i have already cut a deal run one of there rigs and they will honor the 50.00 contingency check to the top finisher in any cercuit but if a new cercuit is formed with Ben and jerys bing the primary sponsor we are talking some real cash flying around... anyone interested in jumping the guardin hose and crossing the lot line , we are going to need some volenteers to get this thing off the astro turf... there is talk of a pro-am format and the championship being held down south in the month of January with a garanteed payout of 2000 dollars to cover expenses for the top 10 crawlers... all talk for now but word on the street is that Ben and Jerys owns a good market share of the Bebble Beach country club.... sounds like they would run the sprinklers by day non stop for the championships . i dont know about you but it looks pretty attractive... we would also need to set up tournament directors in other states as each state would send there top ten...
Purple Skeeter
Posted 4/24/2008 10:56 PM (#68716 - in reply to #43490)

When my phone rang in my office tonight at 9:30, I was wondering who was calling me this late at night? Turns out it was my business partner, who asked me if I had looked in the driveway. After going over several options of just what could be in my driveway at 9:30 at night, he told me that he had just picked up a half gallon bucket of "only the big ones" that were trying to cross the driveway.

Well I just got in after an hour of the easiest picking ever, 1 full gallon of crawlers in an hour. Lots of easy doubles and triples all laying on top of the grass.

I just hope my wife does not get mad when she finds out I used 4 of her new Glad 1/2 gallon containers and the potting soil I was supposed to plant flowers in a couple of weeks.

It will be hard sleeping tonight knowing I could fill my entire season's needs in just one night. If only I had a bigger refrig.

Purple Skeeter
bradley894
Posted 4/25/2008 10:19 AM (#68728 - in reply to #43490)

oh my god !!!!!!!!!!!!! i backed out of the garage this morning and killed about 15 of them with my truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why didnt somone warn me? needless loss of life.... i cant live with myself............. ill be crawlering tonight more rain on the way.... ill plan in taking the scooter the ten mile drive to work tommorow morning .. i can pick my drivway clean but im thinkin my drive to work dusted out hundreads............ We need an emergency rule issued to the state that folks cant pull the car out of the shed till after 9am... im calling the governor!!!!!!!!
Horshak
Posted 4/25/2008 2:15 PM (#68737 - in reply to #43490)

Take a kid crawlering! I just got back with my two boys ages 6 and 5 and they had a blast. They wanted to pick everyone in sight. I then proceeded to inform them about the Crawler Conservation Initiative us crawlerers are practicing. After they understood that, we commenced to picking a whole perogi carton full of big ones. Smallest one was 10 inches. Look out Upper Winnebago system Sunday. It is also more rewarding than one might think bringing the kids. They are lower to the ground and more nimble. Therefore my back still feels great and I am ready for the next tourney.

Edited by Horshak 4/25/2008 2:17 PM
CFT President
Posted 5/7/2008 12:17 PM (#69200 - in reply to #43490)

As the acting President of CFT (Crawlers for Tomorrow) I would like to ask the members of the NCA for it's guidlines on the proper care and handeling of Crawlers. I know a guy, who knows a guy that caught a large amount of crawlers and they all died shortly after they were captured.

Our organization is gathering data and would like to know the best methods for storing and keeping crawlers alive.

Thanks for all your help, your comments and suggestions will be passed along to the board members of CFT.
Shep
Posted 5/7/2008 12:32 PM (#69203 - in reply to #69200)

I am reporting myself for crawler abuse. Had a couple dozen that I picked before the FLW event out of Winneconne. Well, I didn't use a single one. Placed 6th in the tourney, though. That is the good part. The bad part was this smell eminating from the cooler in my boat this AM as I went to work. I told the boy to get in there, and toss out whatever food my coangler left in there. He called me a bit later, and said it wasn't food stinking it up. It was those 2 dozen crawlers, now pretty much a stinking pile of mush! Yeck. Glad I made him go in that cooler.

Now, some of those crawlers were from the brood stock in my yard. I pulled around the corner early one rainy morning a couple weeks ago, and the were long shadows cast all across Parkview, from the F150's headlights. I hit the brakes hard, and scamperd about, tossing as many as I could back into the yard. I gkept a couplke dozen for fishing. Well, you know what happened to them.

Sorry guys. Please don't link me to the double dippers and those who fill their freezers with more than their allowed limit on perch and eyes, and venison, only to toss them out the next spring because they were too lazy to go down to the freezer. This is not what happened. I was so excited by my finish, I completely forgot about the crawlers. I hope they didn't suffer too much before expiring.

Please accept this NCE( Non Conforming Event) report, and I hope the powers that be go lightly on me.

Edited by Shep 5/7/2008 12:34 PM
Viking
Posted 5/7/2008 12:53 PM (#69209 - in reply to #69203)

I can't really hold it against you Shep. I, too, am guilty. I had a couple dozen crawlers in my beer fridge in the garage. I had dialed it to the coldest setting to quick chill my beer a few weeks ago and forgot to turn it back up after I'd consumed my bounty. All my crawlers froze & died and I didn't even have a nice tourney finsih to show for it.
Purple Skeeter
Posted 5/7/2008 1:43 PM (#69216 - in reply to #68584)

Ok... ok... I give up... it was me that was faking that last post. I killed every crawler I caught over the last 2 weeks. What the heck did I do wrong? I put them in Buss Bedding, threw in a couple of pieces of bread and put them in my bait refrig and then proceded to Kill about 1000 crawlers or so, I feel terrible. I may just have to resign from the Presidency.

Purple Skeeter

Edited by Purple Skeeter 5/7/2008 1:44 PM
thumper
Posted 5/8/2008 7:46 AM (#69246 - in reply to #43490)

I had my 4 year old daughter out last night helping me. She sure got a kick out of that. We pulled about 3 dozen. Probably took twice as long as it should have (she's not very sneaky), but we had a blast. Nice doing it now before the mosquitoes come out...
Mark Komo
Posted 5/8/2008 8:03 AM (#69250 - in reply to #43490)

Take an empty soup can or such, and tie to your ankle. Put in some corn meal or sawdust. Dip the hands in the sawdust/cornmeal for better grip of those crawlers.
bradley894
Posted 5/8/2008 9:21 AM (#69253 - in reply to #43490)

thats an awsum tip komes, just wanted to let everyone know that there is a patition going around to start a CRAWLER ALERT, on the emergency broadcasting system .. similar to the famouse amber allert we will all be warned in advance to tip toe and clear the driveway of the helpless creatures on the mornings of mass crawlerslaughter , remember cars and shoes dont kill crawlers PEOPLE DO!!!!!!! lets get this done people...
AvgJoe
Posted 5/8/2008 9:55 AM (#69257 - in reply to #69253)

Your alert system is too simplistic. How about a crawler activity level alert system modeled after the terrorism threat level system - from "green" (no crawler activity) to "red" (crawlers coming up your front stoop).

I think I heard some chatter in my back yard last night, prompting me to move the crawler alert level to YELLOW.
bradley894
Posted 6/19/2008 3:33 PM (#70778 - in reply to #69257)

with all the rain i havent heard of an alert level increase? i also havent seen them on the road in the wee mornings? is there some kind of crawler vhs? or did they all go deep and the massive demand in china grab them all? we got like fifty inches of rain this month whats going on?
Axl
Posted 9/22/2008 6:41 PM (#73639 - in reply to #70778)

Any news on where the championship crawlering tourney will be for 2008. I know it has been held in October the past few years, but I have not received any information on it all. also, will walleye first be covering this event, and who are the top ten finalists for the championship?

AXL
MWLA-President
Past finalist in the Crawlering NCA circuit
Sponsors include:
Cool Whip
Eveready
Buss Bedding
Tupperwear
Coleman Lanterns
budsbud66
Posted 9/23/2008 2:31 PM (#73684 - in reply to #73639)

yah, i tried storing a flat + over winter in my fruit celler.

checked them out yesterday, not good, quite a stench.
bradley894
Posted 9/26/2008 11:20 AM (#73809 - in reply to #43490)

HEY AXL< ANY TRUTH TO THE RUMOR????/ HAVE you been contacted by EAA sports? word on the street is there will be a new crawler hunter vidio game released before the hollidays? i was told that only the top crawler hunters and past champions will have there likenesses used for this Wi, playstation, Xbox compatable vidio game. since im not a huge name on the cercuit i havent been contacted for the creation of my likeness... my question is.....? will i be able to created a player that looks like me like i can on my tiger woods game? will i have access to some of the awsum sponsors avialable to you the Pro's if i become proficiant and master the game? will we be able to build our own profecional crawler course like some of you heavy hitters do around home? whats the deal?
Shep
Posted 9/26/2008 1:57 PM (#73820 - in reply to #73809)

I've decided to retire from the tourney circuit after this year, and just found out I'm on the cover of the new game. I think it's called AXL 09, but I'm not sure about that. When the next season rolls around, and I waffle on coming back, I'm sure they'll have a different cover you all can download, perhaps with Ranger and Evinrude Logo's, insteadof the Tuffy Merc logos on my present tourney shirt. I'm not saying. I'm just saying.

I'll let you all know through my mom, sister, and maybe my agent, and Dave Landahl. Then I'll text Kevin Hunt of the FLW and say "Rumors". Then maybe just send in my reinstatement papers to AXL, and then show up out of shape at the first qualifier.

I did put nearly a two full flats in my yard this year for precrawlering at home. It's been tough to go to the tourney grounds all the time, with gas going through the roof. Kinda like prefihing in Pewaukee when the tournament is on Green Bay. But, practice is practice. Anybody wants, my yard is open for practice til the first freeze.

Edited by Shep 9/26/2008 2:01 PM
tyee
Posted 9/26/2008 2:20 PM (#73825 - in reply to #43490)

Shep, Don't worry I'll be sure to tell the Purple Skeeter guy to give you a call weeks before and you'll be able to compete for sure, Tampering has already been proven to set preceidence. Don't expect any of those 100million dollar endorcement deals, though I did see a Red Silverado was up on the auction block for the 09 season!

Good Luck
Tyee
WalleyeFIRST
Posted 9/26/2008 7:17 PM (#73835 - in reply to #73825)

Shep, you know what the wise old crawler-ers say, a flat in the fridge is worth two in the turf ......
sworrall
Posted 9/27/2008 10:52 AM (#73844 - in reply to #43490)

I very nearly was run over by a Crawler once, bent over with a flashlight focused so tight I hear nothing, see nothing but the beam...and not thinking they'd be out working still...barely got out with my life. That ended it for me forever.
bradley894
Posted 9/27/2008 1:04 PM (#73846 - in reply to #43490)

hey shep , maybe its a good thing to retire for a year , Not only did you make the EAA cover but i heard threw the grape vine that you also made the cover of SPORTS illistrated!!!!!!!!! I know your still in your prime but we all no about the curse that comes along with the cover of that publication... its just nice to see that the world is starting accept the fact that this is a lagitamate sport! rumor has it that it could become one of our nations greatest sporting events, as of now it falls somewhere between bowling and figure skating just ahead of ice hockey but still behind the indi car cercuit (eeeeeeerrrrrrrr) hot chicks racing league........ you were a Pioneer shep this thing could not have gotten this big without you!!!!!!!! i would like to see a hall of fame formed for some of the greats like shep! i would alos think there would be some monitary restitution made available to the old school crawlers thats knees and arthritis laden fingers prevent them from compition in this day and age of big money , big sponsor events.. can we get something done here?
Purple Skeeter
Posted 9/27/2008 9:15 PM (#73855 - in reply to #43490)

And I'm the one everyone says, "needs help"

I was down at the new headquarters today and as I was leaving a 10 point buck came out of the marsh and trotted across the back of the lawn.... Something is going to have to take place, I can't have deer running across my crawlering grounds and messing up the finely groomed estate.

He looked at me like I was the one intruding on his space.... darn things.. I hope they don't eat crawlers or he is not long for this world. I checked with the rule book and it says that any creature whether feather, foul or animal that intentionally causes harm to a crawler, may be shot, run over or downed my any method possible without express permission of the WNDR.

Lake side Picture of future headquarters of the NCA before demo.... the water is beyond the trees looking straight west on Butte des Morts. My back lot boarders the 300 acre UWO Marsh.

Purple Skeeter

Edited by Purple Skeeter 9/27/2008 9:22 PM

(headquarters.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments headquarters.jpg (182KB - 272 downloads)
Axl
Posted 9/27/2008 9:51 PM (#73857 - in reply to #73855)

Will there be a ground breaking ceremony for the new NCA headquarters. I still have the golden shovel from the last ceremony if you will need it. Also, is it legal per NCA rules to perform a demo project on crawler grounds that are near a major water source or a University of Wisconsin property? It also has been determined that the video game entitled Crawlers Forever 2009, will be out in March of 2009. This year we will feature Tommy Skarliss on the cover after his amazing win at the FLW Championship. He was grandfathered as a honorary member per Walleye Firsts request. Sorry Shep, you will have to wait for the 2010 version, but you were a finalist, just for the record. Look for the 2008 crawlerer of the year standings to be coming out sometime in the next few weeks. We are currently reviewing some questionable crawlering.........
bradley894
Posted 9/29/2008 3:26 PM (#73892 - in reply to #43490)

ok OMG,,, I have not slept for two days..... i got my hands on a bootleg version of this new vidio game!!!!!!! no cover so i cant tell you who is on it ... but... i can tell you this... i figured out some cheat codes ,,, at first i thaught shep was unbeatable in the one on one competion mode... till (and i normaly would never do this but) i tailpiped him! cheat code OOXXXOO and hit start., lets you clunk shep on the head with your flashlight and take his cool whip container full of crawlers... woooooooo hooo , i won the trophy... and all of a suden it said great news... you have unlocked the hooters girls... wooooohooooooo.. so on the next level.... i was crawlering agians AXL and one of the hooters girls went crawlering past me in a short mini skirt..... again (i dont normaly tail pipe ) but .... and i had a flash light and well you know... BUT take warning if you tail pipe a bit to close with your flashlight to one of those girls they turn around and kick the crap out of you and take your country crock container or whatever your sponsor is.... now im stuck on this level and i wore my bataries in my flashlight out following these attractive competiors.... great game though... gotta go...
tyee
Posted 12/26/2008 8:08 PM (#76013 - in reply to #43490)

plowed the yard today hoping the rain comming tomorrow will give me the jump on you tourney guys, can't wait to use my new container and mechanical crawler picker, wife said it is for getting olives out of the jar, I told her Santa put the wrong name on the present!

Good Luck
Tyee
Shep
Posted 12/29/2008 11:33 AM (#76046 - in reply to #76013)

I'm going in for an MRI on my right index finger tomorrow. The results of that will help determine whether I decide to compete again next year. Knowing my body like I do, something is not right. My first joint in the index hurts, and sometimes the back of my hand has pain, and my ulnar, too. Somethings not right, and I'm not sure if I want to have surgerys just to keep competing.Maybe you all think I'm washed up, and old and gray. Maybe that's the case. I didn't really enjoy this past year, after sitting out the whole off season, just riding in my boat, and buying crawlers from the local kids. I didn't keep myself in shape, and certainly didn't learn anything new in this new system. I just went back to the old grab and pull style that worked for so long in my last circuit. I'll make sure my sources leak out more info as it comes to mind.
mrmodog
Posted 12/29/2008 11:44 AM (#76048 - in reply to #76046)

Awe c'mon Shep, you know as well as the rest of us that you really don't have any say in the matter.
Mrs Shep will make the decision, and you'll live with it this time too!!!
tyee
Posted 12/29/2008 3:00 PM (#76057 - in reply to #43490)

ya, don't worry Shep it'll be allright. All your complain' has gotten the director fired! I heard a rumor today that the NCA is meeting on New Years to discuss a name change apparently there were a few vocal people tied to Petc that have banned together in the dark to discuss the new and improved NCRA.

Good Luck
Tyee
Purple Skeeter
Posted 12/29/2008 4:27 PM (#76058 - in reply to #43490)

Rumors and reprehensible innuendos... it happens about this time every year. A high profile organization such as the NCA has just come to expect this behavior from a few of its thousands.. err... hundreds of thousands of members.

Let me just assure everyone that member that my wife, Morgan Fairchild and I are doing just fine and as soon as the snow melts in mid June, we'll be back to our headquarters in Wisconsin.

Your President....

Edited by Purple Skeeter 12/29/2008 4:29 PM
mrmodog
Posted 12/29/2008 4:50 PM (#76061 - in reply to #76058)

I heard that the 'Pres' and the Mrs, are in Washington lobbying for a bailout.
Also heard that they took the Crawler Association's private Yacht!!!!!
You would think that those CEO's would learn...
Oh well, he probably has a Purple parachute too....
butch
Posted 1/2/2009 8:48 AM (#76204 - in reply to #76061)

Due to increasing preasure from anti baitpickers the NCA and NLA ( national leach association ) has come together and formed a new organization. NBPA (national bait pickers association) for just $100 a year you can help protect your right to pick bait and your right to carry and bear flashlights. With this you will recieve a number you can display and your name on your tournament picking vehicle. Curently we can only accept money orders but hope to be able to accept credit cards in the near future. For more information please feal free to ask questions here but due to lots of traveling it may be 2 to 3 weeks before I can get a reply to your questions.
Purple Skeeter
Posted 1/8/2009 8:58 PM (#76423 - in reply to #43490)

Wanted to show you guys my new rig for crawlering, I can't even begin to explain what 1/2 this stuff means, but I had a gift certificate for Cabelas and it was the only thing I could think of.... just imagine, 3700 Degree Kelvin LED Chipset. I can't wait the ground thaws. I got the 6 volt model, I did not think I could handle the 9 or 12 volt model, Plus the 12 volt model requires that you carry around a car battery and is designed for Chuck Norris. Anyone know what the record for crawlering 12 hours at 80 lumens?

Experience the color you've been missing - join the personal-light-source revolution. Our exclusive U.D.I. (Ultra Definition Illumination) LED technology combines the intense, color-accurate output of Xenon lamps with the lower operation temperatures and long-running efficiency of LEDs. By modifying the traditional LED design to emit light only in specific color spectrums, the high-intensity beam reveals true target colors. Our engineering partners packaged this cutting-edge technology into these rugged, field-ready flashlights. The high-intensity, 3700° Kelvin LED chipset has a detail-defining Color Rendering Index (CRI) of 80 (out of 100). This CRI rating indicates a superior true color light source. All electronics are housed inside an O-ring-sealed chamber for complete moisture protection. The precision-molded nylon body provides a comfortable all-weather grip. Tail-end on/off switch positively clicks between high and low light modes. By twisting the end cap, the light is instantly disabled for no-flash safety. Pre-focused aluminum reflector.

Available:
6-volt - Powered by two CR-123A batteries (included). Runs up to 12 hours at 80 lumens; 26 hours at 30 lumens. Weight: 3.8 oz.
9-volt - Powered by three CR-123A batteries (included). Runs up to 8 hours at 135 lumens; 18 hours at 50 lumens. Weight: 5.2 oz.
12-volt - Powered by four CR-123A batteries (included). Runs up to 6 hours at 176 lumens; 14 hours at 80 lumens. Weight: 6.6 oz.

Purpleless Skeeter

Edited by Purple Skeeter 1/8/2009 9:06 PM

(s7_518815_imageset_01.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments s7_518815_imageset_01.jpg (27KB - 397 downloads)
tyee
Posted 4/9/2009 2:22 PM (#80000 - in reply to #43490)

We are nearing the begining of the season and everyone is clamoring for a piece of the action. Seems the economy has organizations still trying to fill their roster, yet some are finding enough to participate. The simple life is more appealing to many and Mattresses and Freezers are stuffed with funds that were intended for retirement. The newly formed organization will give opportunities to those with minimal funds the opportunity to play without having to worry about the well being of their catch.

So come one come all join the NCRA (we don't need a stimulous package or govt bailout money...just your money) and wave your cool whip containers proudly as the first heavy rain storm will flood the streets signaling the start of the National Crawler Release Association. At the NCRA you don't have to worry about your crawler ever ending up with a sharp barbed wire getting stuck through it's nose and will never be drowned only to be eaten by a swimming creature, as they are all released into a reserve off limits to flashlights. If you haven't already paid your annual dues or tourney registration fees, I will gladly accept them. Once you've become a paid member you will be invited to share in the rules making process!

Good Luck
Tyee

(worm.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments worm.jpg (7KB - 307 downloads)
AvgJoe
Posted 4/9/2009 8:26 PM (#80011 - in reply to #80000)

I'm setting up a webcam in my backyard to stream live crawler action 24/7. Right now I am trying to work out a system so I can show them during the day under ground. Once I get it perfected, I going to outdo that other cam site... I hope everybody will bookmark the page for my new venture. www.crawlercam.com
Purple Skeeter
Posted 4/19/2009 10:54 PM (#80440 - in reply to #43490)

Aprin 19th, I was awaken this evening by a gentle tap, tap, tap of rainfall on my skylights... I found it very hard to sleep just knowing the crawlers are getting ready to spawn on my lawn any day. Ohhhhh yaaa baby, it's about to get started, but wait, it's Wisconsin and the outside temp has gone from 75 to 25 degrees in 24 hours. Guess I'll have to go back to sleep and wait for warmer weather.

ZZZZ ZZZZZ dreaming of a double header zzzzz zzz zz z
Shep
Posted 4/20/2009 7:51 AM (#80448 - in reply to #80440)

Squished a lot of crawlers this morning on the way to work. Actually had to drive more careful, as the amount of crawlers made stopping and turning an adventure! Like driving on banana peels!
roflmao
Posted 4/21/2009 6:14 PM (#80549 - in reply to #43490)

are you guys for real, i'm starting to beleive this crawlering cult thing you got going on here. funny funny stuff! were do i send my membership form? i want some of this sweet action you all so speak of.
roflmao
Posted 4/21/2009 6:17 PM (#80550 - in reply to #43490)

are you guys for real, i'm starting to beleive this crawlering cult thing you got going on here. funny funny stuff! were do i send my membership form? i want some of this sweet action you all so speak of.
Purple Skeeter
Posted 4/21/2009 7:48 PM (#80557 - in reply to #43490)

Attention: NCA Members

The board of directors need to schedule a meeting to elect officers for the 2009-2010 season. The meeting will take place at Michaels in Menasha, beverages will be served, dinner is optional. Please get back to me with a date that will work for current board members. This meeting is mandatory and attendence is required!

Be prepared to discuss: Bag limits, slot limits, catch and release tournament guidelines and other important stuff.

Cut here --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please print this message and show just the top portion to your spouse to get a free pass to get out of the house. Let me know if it works!!

Purple Skeeter
President NCA

Edited by Purple Skeeter 4/21/2009 7:50 PM
Shep
Posted 4/22/2009 9:39 AM (#80566 - in reply to #80557)

Worked for me! Just about any week night would be OK with me. Please, not the Friday beofre the Southern opener. The Friday beforew the Fox River Classic might work. Wade could attend then..
budsbud66W
Posted 4/23/2009 7:54 AM (#80601 - in reply to #43490)

Im planning on saturday night.. its suppose to rain with 80 degreee temps!
nice weather for picking a few flats for the season
Viking
Posted 4/24/2009 12:32 PM (#80653 - in reply to #80557)

Weeknight is probably best for me too. Set a date and time and I'll try to get a pass from headquarters.
wannagopro
Posted 4/25/2009 11:18 PM (#80716 - in reply to #80653)

I need to file a complaint with the NCA................
my wife called me this morning on the way to work(7:15am), and said some yahoo was out in the middle of hwy 15, at the start of the 4 lane in Greenville, with a putty knife and bucket picking up crawlers. My semi professional point of view is, this is, or should be considered an unlawful way of picking crawlers............I think it is a outta town tourney guy trying to cheat his way to the top.............i mean for cripes sakes, picking crawlers in the broad day light???? what gives?? is this truly a sportsmans way of collecting bait?? on a state highway nonetheless.............with no hi viz reflective clothing??? hes giving us all a bad name............

Edited by wannagopro 4/25/2009 11:19 PM
Sunshine
Posted 4/26/2009 5:42 AM (#80720 - in reply to #80716)

Jim:

I take offense those statements. I guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do to survive in these tough economic times. Now I suppose you'll turn me in for trying to make a couple of bucks by selling those exceptional crawlers under the table to marketeers ............. er, I mean family.
Sunshine
Posted 4/26/2009 6:34 AM (#80721 - in reply to #80720)

Coming soon...........

WWW.SunshineCrawlerAdventures.com

Announcing your best resource for Crawlering. This new web site will include:

Discussion Forums for all tournaments
Live Tournament coverage
Crawler Discussion Forums
Calendar of Events

AND, you'll be able to buy all your crawler needs on line at great savings. Look for specialty items like:

Electric generator with enough probes to do a one acre partial in less than 1/2 hour Guaranteed.
Official crawler head lamps
Official crawler collection buckets
Official crawler bedding

Be the first in your area to purchase the official crawler bible called: "Confessions of a Night Stalker" by Dennis Skurulsky

The first 25 members who sign up for the web site will receive the new bumper sticker: "Shut Up and Pick".

Exciting times for the world of crawlering. This site is sanctioned by the NCA (National Crawler Association)

Watch for future press releases about the new tournament series called: CAN’T (Crawler Association Night Tournaments). This new format will include evolutional changes in the world of crawler tournaments like:

Live release with digital camera weigh-ins
250% guaranteed payback
Free entry fees for all amateurs
Purple Skeeter
Posted 4/26/2009 9:45 AM (#80735 - in reply to #43490)

Jim,

Picking crawlers on Hwy 15 gives me an idea for a new Crawler Reality show... "Deadliest Catch, Crawler Style" Just imagine the camera crews following several teams onto the highway and filming the action, I gotta patient that idea!!

Dennis,

"Shut Up and Pick"

Got a good belly laugh from that one!

Purple Skeeter
RSR
Posted 4/26/2009 12:12 PM (#80744 - in reply to #43490)

Who is selling the " Official Ruler" for this one??
Shep
Posted 4/26/2009 1:05 PM (#80748 - in reply to #80744)

Jim,

There were so many people beeping their horns at me, I don't know which was your wife! Let me know, and next time I'll launch a spatula full onto her windshield for you!
tyee
Posted 4/26/2009 2:27 PM (#80753 - in reply to #43490)

Dennis, "Confessions of a night stalker" I especially liked the chapter on being exiled to a hotel overseas to perfect this practice?

I picked a dozen flats in broad daylight in the parking lot this morning. After the first pail full my back was ruined for a few hours, which dropped me into second place to the neighbor kids, then I pulled out the secret weapon after recovering in the hot tub! The custom garage creeper with heavy duty castors! increased mobility 100% and I took the lead after only 1.5 hours. It was a cool site, even the local paper stopped by to see my new rig and get a few photos for next weeks edition. The next project is to finish the design on the crawler picker for us old guys to save our backs. It's a modified tool found at retirement homes. Patent IS pending!

Good Luck
Tyee

(EZAssistReacher.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments EZAssistReacher.jpg (4KB - 294 downloads)
wannagopro
Posted 4/26/2009 10:21 PM (#80777 - in reply to #80748)

Shep - 4/26/2009 1:05 PM

Jim,

There were so many people beeping their horns at me, I don't know which was your wife! Let me know, and next time I'll launch a spatula full onto her windshield for you!

Im not one to point fingers or throw anyone under the bus, but i was suspecting it was you, afterall, it is your home town
wannagopro
Posted 4/26/2009 10:36 PM (#80778 - in reply to #80735)

Purple Skeeter - 4/26/2009 9:45 AM

Jim,

Picking crawlers on Hwy 15 gives me an idea for a new Crawler Reality show... "Deadliest Catch, Crawler Style" Just imagine the camera crews following several teams onto the highway and filming the action, I gotta patient that idea!!

Dennis,

"Shut Up and Pick"

Got a good belly laugh from that one!

Purple Skeeter

This might work, we could film on hwy 41 during morning rush hour, more lanes = more crawlers = fantabulous ratings............i want royalties for throwing the idea out there
Shep
Posted 4/27/2009 8:41 AM (#80798 - in reply to #80777)

wannagopro - 4/26/2009 10:21 PM

Shep - 4/26/2009 1:05 PM

Jim,

Im not one to point fingers or throw anyone under the bus, but i was suspecting it was you, afterall, it is your home town

Not my hometown. Just where I happen to reside right now. 5 more years, as soon as the daughter graduates, and I'm out of there.

So, what vehicle does she drive? Did she see me again this morning? I had the spatula locked and loaded! hehehe
wannagopro
Posted 4/27/2009 8:21 PM (#80827 - in reply to #43490)

she has off on mondays, but if yer there tomorrow, ill tell her to beep
Mark Komo
Posted 5/20/2010 10:12 AM (#91277 - in reply to #43490)

Has the late melt and all that food in the system, impacted the crawler spawn this spring?

Also can you put me in contact with the Buffalo NY Chapter? HA!
Shep
Posted 5/24/2010 3:10 PM (#91364 - in reply to #91277)

I think OJ is the Buffalo Chapter Pres now. I'm sure it's because he is used to being on all 4's by now!

Bumper crop so far this year. The last couple of rains have yielded record numbers of fat crawlers on the roads. Easy pickens with my new spatula I got for X-mas from the in-laws! Only problem is the new truck sits higher, and I gotta lean out more than before. I wear a bike helmet now, just in case.

Edited by Shep 5/24/2010 3:11 PM
RSR
Posted 4/10/2011 11:44 AM (#97594 - in reply to #43490)

Anybody out crawlering after the rain? I haven't run any over yet so I'm not sure I sure start using crawlers on the river yet this year!
Viking
Posted 4/10/2011 7:01 PM (#97601 - in reply to #97594)

I was thinking it might be a little early in the season but I found a few raking the yard. I guess it's time to pull the cool whip containers out.
RSR
Posted 4/26/2011 12:26 PM (#97988 - in reply to #43490)

Any local crawler reports? Still too early?

I still need to drop about 10 lbs to be in better crawlering form.
jerry
Posted 4/26/2011 11:17 PM (#98000 - in reply to #97988)

I saw tons of them the week before the snow storm. They probably are 10' deep now waiting for winter to finally leave!!
Rich S
Posted 4/27/2011 9:27 AM (#98004 - in reply to #98000)

We got 8 dozen last night. Not as good as I thought it would be but I was out early. Going out again tonight a little later, will post the results.
wannagopro
Posted 5/2/2011 8:42 AM (#98134 - in reply to #43490)

with my relocating over the off season to Oshkosh, I have not yet been out yet. Im still scouting the area but have a few spots that i think might pay off for me..........wish me luck
tyee unlogged
Posted 5/3/2011 12:37 PM (#98170 - in reply to #43490)

My prime plot of land is so wet all the crawlers migrated south. The fishin is gonna be good in China! Vados is getting my business this year. Where else do YOU buy crawlers.

Good Luck
Tyee
BD unlogged
Posted 5/6/2011 3:18 AM (#98248 - in reply to #98170)

I get mine from the Amish neighbor kid. One dollar a dozen!!!
Rich S
Posted 5/10/2011 6:59 AM (#98311 - in reply to #98248)

Punded them last night. My son had gotten a headlamp for Christmas. I used that last night and never knew how much the light itself can affect the catch until now. They were not spooked at all and you could keep the light right on them. It literally doubled my catch rate per hour.
Purple Skeeter
Posted 5/10/2011 12:56 PM (#98320 - in reply to #98311)

"They were not spooked at all and you could keep the light right on them"

Sounds like an old crawler tale to me....

Almost 15,000 views... you people really got to get on the water more!
Viking
Posted 5/10/2011 4:13 PM (#98324 - in reply to #98320)

Purple Skeeter - 5/10/2011 12:56 PM
you people really got to get on the water more!

Word has it they're bitin' right off your dock...
wannagopro
Posted 5/10/2011 4:50 PM (#98326 - in reply to #43490)

found a gold mine that has been under my nose for 25 years.......who knew that all i had to do was look around at my parents house right on Lake Winneconne??????
Purple Skeeter
Posted 5/10/2011 4:51 PM (#98327 - in reply to #98324)

Hmmm.... who told you,

I have not had my boat in the water in 2 weeks. The Perch and Bluegill fishing has been really good. The Walleyes just started 5 days ago. It's getting harder and harder to sleep at night.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to troll on a 60 foot dock? By the end of the night, I'm tired from waling back and forth at 1.8 mph.

Edited by Purple Skeeter 5/10/2011 4:53 PM
Viking
Posted 5/10/2011 5:54 PM (#98328 - in reply to #98327)

Purple Skeeter - 5/10/2011 4:51 PM
Do you have any idea how hard it is to troll on a 60 foot dock? By the end of the night, I'm tired from waling back and forth at 1.8 mph.

Ha! I heard about this new fangled device called a slip-bobber. Maybe you should give it a try...
Viking
Posted 12/15/2011 7:53 AM (#101775 - in reply to #43490)

Anybody having any luck? Not often you get to pick crawlers in December.
Purple Skeeter
Posted 12/16/2011 3:58 PM (#101805 - in reply to #43490)

Can someone please take me ice fishing this year and show how to catch fish through the ice. I have 3 inches in front of my house. I have a jiffy ice auger drill, 2 hand drills, a tent, 6 tipups and 6000 crankbaits...oops, that won't help will it?

Purple Skeeter
Purple Skeeter
Posted 1/2/2012 8:58 PM (#102065 - in reply to #80778)

Starting to get hooked on this ice fishing thing... even managed to put a few limits of Perch and Gills in the bucket this week in front of the house. Watching the video camera makes the days interesting and sure eliminates a lot of dead water.

Purple Skeeter
Purple Skeeter
Posted 5/16/2015 8:09 AM (#113165 - in reply to #43490)
Subject: Possible Federal Lawsuit

As the current President of the NCA (National Crawler Association) I am considering filing a Federal Lawsuit against Quick Trip. Like many of my fellow crawlerers... I occasionally stop at Quick Trip to fill up my boat, 35 gallons of premium, and get supplies for a day on the water. I rarely leave the store without dropping $50-$75 dollars for a day on the water. But this has got to stop... $5.79 for 20 Nightcrawlers!! holy Buss bedding Batman!! Now I'll have to admit, I have been very lazy and crawlering has not been a top priority for me, but come on man, $5.79 for 20 crawlers.... That's Highway Robbery and that's where the Federal Lawsuit comes in. I'm calling for a complete travel ban whenever it rains. Just think of the Millions of dollars that are being wasted by careless drivers without any regard to our precious national resource. In fact, I've done some calculations and I'm pretty sure we could make a big dent in the national debt with every heavy downpour. (I was working on this while I was figuring out Axel's crawler harness depth chart)

Please me in the fight and support this Federal Lawsuit.. and also the boycott Quick Trip....

Dominic
President NCA

(IMG_0934a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0934a.jpg (168KB - 234 downloads)
huntgamefish
Posted 5/22/2015 9:17 PM (#113205 - in reply to #113165)
Subject: RE: Possible Federal Lawsuit

Does anyone know some good areas in Appleton, Menasha, and Neenah where I can catch nite-crawlers after a good rain?
Purple Skeeter
Posted 12/24/2015 9:43 AM (#113600 - in reply to #43490)

Crawlering on Christmas day... this could be a first.

On my way out to the deer stand for T-zone last week, the cut corn field was exploding with crawlers. I was tempted to take everything out of my bucket and start collecting... but in the end, I opted to "let em grow" till next spring.

I may have just discovered the greatest Honey Hole in the world. This 80 acres of soil had so many crawlers I was awe struck.

Dreaming of Spring!!
Purple Skeeter
Posted 12/27/2015 12:40 PM (#113607 - in reply to #43490)

Komo and I get bumped by a guy selling fake documents..... Come on Walleye First... really?
Mark Komo
Posted 12/27/2015 4:16 PM (#113608 - in reply to #43490)

Haha, yep.. fake id's...plus this has to be the latest that crawlers have been found in wisco...Go pack...good game against the bird.