Brett Favre's last stand???
jerry
Posted 1/1/2007 8:54 AM (#50064)
Subject: Brett Favre's last stand???

It was very enjoyable watching the Packers totally dismantle the Bears last night. Do you think it was his last game? Before the game a group I had at my house talked about it and we didn't think so, but after the game, during his interview with Andrea Kramer, I'd say from his behavior that this was the last game.

Is the NFC a total mess or what? There isn't one team that stands as the team to beat.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
walleye express
Posted 1/1/2007 9:56 AM (#50066 - in reply to #50064)
Subject: RE: Brett Favre's last stand???

Catching a 12 pounder on your very last walleye trip would be a fitting end also wouldn't it? Nobody likes going out a looser.
Sunshine
Posted 1/1/2007 10:30 AM (#50068 - in reply to #50066)
Subject: Re: Brett Favre's last stand???

Nope,

He has at least one more record to break. He'll be back. I believe He would cry like that after every game if you grabbed him immediately after the game. Very emotional player, that's one reason why we love him. He has his priorities of the game in order.
Posted 1/1/2007 10:38 AM (#50069 - in reply to #50064)

To bad the Bears weren't playing for a playoff spot or something. Their total lack of intensity made for a boring game. Now by going 8-8 the Pack will not get a top 5 draft pick and will get a little tougher schedule next year. I think Brett will come back for one more year. There isn't much in the NFC, looks like any AFC blowout in the Super Bowl. I hope there is some safe ice somewhere so I can fish instead of watch football.
l.eaton
Posted 1/1/2007 10:53 AM (#50070 - in reply to #50064)

my take on brett after the game is that he's torn between being with his family and the love for the game. can he put his family life on hold for another season or two. i truly hope that he can put his feelings aside and play. i look at it this way though, it would be like giveing up what one loves to do forever,like putting the boat up for sale and giveing all of your fishing equipment to the neighbor kid.
and saying im done fishing. we will allways say what if?
i can see other players past and present calling brett and beg him to stay in the game. the game will not be the same with brett gone.
we all can say that there will never be another qb that can win the hearts of the nation and and be in our thoughts and prayers and give to the game like brett has. nor will brett ever be forgotten. if he decides to retire it will be a very sad day for all of us. but if he plays, we all have more memories and get to watch im my oppionion the greatest qb ever.
brett has taken all of us through some tough times with his life and our life and put it all in perspective.
i say " long live the king" your my hero!!!
Eric
Posted 1/1/2007 6:23 PM (#50076 - in reply to #50064)

Let's face it the sooner he retires the better. Not saying this in a negitive since but the pack needs to rebuild and that won't happen with brett on the team.
Sunshine
Posted 1/1/2007 7:11 PM (#50079 - in reply to #50064)

I disagree totally. You are wrong my friend. They are close to being a playoff team with him. Spend the money to surround him with the needed talent and they can achieve the division dominance and be playoff bound. Loose him and they will be mediocre for several years.

They’ll get better players to sign if he is around. And they have lots of money to make this happen NOW.
eye Lunker
Posted 1/2/2007 8:47 AM (#50087 - in reply to #50079)

Bret is 10x the quarteback that rex is and he's better than half the other qb out there. I hope he comes back! We (I) will miss him if he doesnt come back!
Posted 1/2/2007 10:35 AM (#50091 - in reply to #50064)

I dont think the old man is coming back. they have no chance of winning the SB next year. they are at least a few years off. no need to get all excited about a game the bears didnt care about. i think it all depends on how his surgery and other things works out.
jerry
Posted 1/2/2007 10:42 AM (#50093 - in reply to #50091)

"...no need to get all excited about a game the bears didnt care about...."

BULL!!!!

If they didn't care, then why are they running fakes on punts?

If they didn't care then why play your starters at all?

Sorry, but they got their butt's handed to them, fair and square.
Posted 1/2/2007 11:02 AM (#50096 - in reply to #50064)

so what if they lost? it was a meaningless game to the bears. glad you guys have something to hang your hat on while watching the playoffs! hehheh
jerry
Posted 1/2/2007 11:10 AM (#50098 - in reply to #50096)

Good luck in the playoffs with THAT team.....:)

Then again, given the state of the NFC, even the Bears might make it to the Super Bowl.
Posted 1/2/2007 11:12 AM (#50099 - in reply to #50064)

looking forward to the playoffs jerry! thank you!
john mannerino
Posted 1/2/2007 11:25 AM (#50105 - in reply to #50099)

Boy the bears did suck ,but we are still playing on while others are not. I wish the best of luck to Brett. He is a true warrior.
Brad B
Posted 1/2/2007 11:51 AM (#50110 - in reply to #50064)

"If they didn't care, then why are they running fakes on punts?

If they didn't care then why play your starters at all?

Sorry, but they got their butt's handed to them, fair and square."

Lion's almost beat them the week before... I don't think Chicago was trying real hard.

As for Favre coming back next year - keeps a few more people off the water next fall, I'm all for it.
Posted 1/2/2007 12:08 PM (#50112 - in reply to #50064)

thats one good thing about it brad! hahahah i am afraid if he does retire some pack fans might take it out on there wives or dogs! i hope not! heheheh
Eric
Posted 1/2/2007 1:58 PM (#50120 - in reply to #50079)

Sunshine - 1/1/2007 7:11 PM

I disagree totally. You are wrong my friend. They are close to being a playoff team with him. Spend the money to surround him with the needed talent and they can achieve the division dominance and be playoff bound. Loose him and they will be mediocre for several years.

They’ll get better players to sign if he is around. And they have lots of money to make this happen NOW.

My friend I believe you are wrong. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand gernades, were talking football.

Better that he leaves and they rebuild , than he stays and they come CLOSE again next year. And then what about the years to follow. Hell the way the NFC is we could bring Starr back and come close.
Posted 1/2/2007 2:31 PM (#50122 - in reply to #50064)

Just have to say back to the drawing board for the packers. maybe next season we can get to 9-7 . probably still be in second though in the division. behind the bears they have the talent to go for a while.
Sunshine
Posted 1/2/2007 3:23 PM (#50124 - in reply to #50122)

Let's talk facts not emotions...

Here are the facts as I see them. Of course this comes from a diehard fan.

The Packers should have won two more games this year and made the playoffs. They should have won the Saints game (lost 34-27) and the Rams game (lost 23-20).

At 10 and 6 they would be ahead of the following teams playing this weekend: Kansas City (9-7), Cowboys (9-7), Seahawks (9-7), Giants (8-8). They’d be tied with Eagles and the Jets (at 10-6) and behind Patriots (12-4) and Colts (12-4).

Favre is no longer the best QB out there (the realist in me) but he is still in the top 5.

They will not get someone better than those top 5 unless he is a rookie and they will have to wait 2-3 years for him to develop. Why not have Favre play for a year while they start the development?

They will get better players to come to Green Bay IF Favre is there playing another year. Just like Reggie, people want to come where they have a chance. With Brett they have a chance.

Like I mentioned before, they have the money. I believe that they have something like 32 mil over the salary cap. They save very little by having Favre leave.

You saw the tears of someone not able to give the game up yet. I think you and I need to make a wager Eric.

I believe that he has a four more records to break. He will come back to beat Dan Marino’s records for:

Career Passing Yards (needs 3,862 and had 3,885 this year)
Career Passing Attempts (needs 136 and had 613 this year)
Career Touchdown Passes (needs 7)
Career Wins as a Starting QB (needs 2 to beat Marino and Elway)

He has records in 23 categories as the first, second or third most successful quarterback:

1st - 12 records
2nd - 7 records
3rd - 4 records

Farve is not done yet, recently he led his 36th come from behind win.
Posted 1/2/2007 3:46 PM (#50126 - in reply to #50064)

dont forget that he is close to having another record. thats for most int's in the NFL, so chalk up another 2nd for the moment. looking for first in that category, if he returns.
eye lunker
Posted 1/2/2007 4:07 PM (#50127 - in reply to #50064)

Why does there always have to vbe a secret guess on here? You have plenty to say but hide your real identity behind the name guess! Not sure why sunshine and jerry continue to respond to someone who is afraid to use a real name on here has lil validity in anything in this world IMHO
Sunshine
Posted 1/2/2007 4:09 PM (#50128 - in reply to #50064)

Yea,

I love having conversations with quick hitting anonymous posters. Comparing Brett Favre’s interceptions is like saying that Cy Young is known for the most losses by a pitcher. For the record, Cy Young had the most losses with 316 but he is known as one of if not the best pitchers of all time because of :

Most games won (511)
Most Years Won 20 or More Games (16)
Finished career with 751 complete games (majors record)
7356 innings pitched (majors record)
Won 20 or more games in 16 seasons
Led the league in shutouts 7 times
Led the league in wins 4 times
Pitched 3 no-hitters, including 1 perfect game
Career ERA of 2.63

For the record, my reply was to Eric not you.
Posted 1/2/2007 4:16 PM (#50130 - in reply to #50064)

If the Packers want to go to the Super Bowl next year, they should use their salary cap money to buy tickets! hehehe
Eric
Posted 1/2/2007 9:08 PM (#50137 - in reply to #50124)

Sunshine

Wow dude you could write a book. Heck actualy you just did. For the record I don't really even watch the games. But my son has the NFL channel on constantly. Between that and the sports highlights I get more than I care to.

Anyhow , The Pack will never develop a QB as long as Brett is there. Plain and simple won't get any playing time.

Tears , He's an emotional player. Even Larry McKarin(sp) said don't read any of that crying into his retirement decision.

I'm not saying he won't come back. Just saying it's not best for the team. If I had to bet I'd say he'll be back. He wants the records. He'll most likely get the interception record if he comes back too.

I'll agree he's been sucsessful. But face it there's a fine line between sucsessful and lucky. I'd say this is a fella that's riden that line. He either threads the needle or it's an interception.

For every game they should have won as you stated, there's probably 2 they should have lost. I mean, I should have caught a 30 inch walleye because they swim in the lake.

Don't get too caught up in it as you have absolutly no control over the out come, unlike fishing.

eye Lunker
Posted 1/3/2007 7:28 AM (#50140 - in reply to #50137)

Eric your so off base. How many qb developed under Bret in the past and ended up playing for another team and start?
Sunshine
Posted 1/3/2007 8:11 AM (#50142 - in reply to #50064)

Thanks Eye Lunker,

You took the words right out of my mouth. Most teams plan on a 2-3 year process to get a new rookie into the mix. They do not (if possible) throw them out to the wolves by having them start. They develop them though practice sessions and work them in slowly. They could use Brett during that process. This of course, assumes that the current QB in training is not ready.

Seems to me that Green Bay had a few 2nd and 3rd stringers starting for other teams once they left. If my memory is correct one of these made the super bowl recently
shink
Posted 1/3/2007 10:25 AM (#50143 - in reply to #50142)

I believe every Q.B. that has been under Favre has had success, once they left.

The packers are 30 million under the cap, if they spend some money, they can be a contender next year, with Favre. Without him, they won't be.

I do believe he will be back, and I think it depends on who they acquire. YOu don't think there are free agents out there, that will come here to play with him, for a chance to win a super bowl. Gonzalez from K.C., heck even Randy Moss, can't believe I'm saying his name.

Remember they were the youngest team in football, they have jsut had one year of experience. most of Favre's interceptions are when they are behind, by a lot.

Yes he will get the interceptions record, why, because he has played so many years.

I'm not a big Favre fan, never have been. He has or is close to all the records because of his longevity, but without him, they are mediocre team. Give Rogers one more year, then Favre will retire, and we will still have the nucleous of a good team.

They were predicted to do worse then last year, they surprised everyone out there, including me.

6 weeks ago, I thought the bears would go and win the super bowl, now after the last couple weeks, they will be very lucky to win their first playoff game. The only team in the NFC playing better then the Packers right now, is the Eagles, and they won't win the superbowl, It will be the AFC in a route this year.

Favre says he doesn't want the records, I don't believe that for one minute. He is a competitor, people like him want records, but are also team players, if that makes any sense. He does want another superbowl ring, if they spend the money the right way, they have a chance.

Saying the bears didn't care if they won is a joke, it's the biggest rivalry in football, their coach said it himself, he was hired to beat the Packers.

The bears stunk it up, and tried their hardest to win.

The Packers got better as the year went on, that is what happens with young teams, they were jelling together, even on defense.

They had a young receiver in Jennings, he will be even better next year. They pick up Gonzalez, and a couple defensive lineman, the Packers have a very good chance for going far next year.
GB Eyes
Posted 1/7/2007 8:43 AM (#50280 - in reply to #50064)

Ok guys heres a number for you 11 MILLION

I as big a fan of Brett Favre as anyone and I hope he comes back so I can sit in the seat at Lambeau I've sat in since I was 8 years old and see the legend grow. He doesnt need the money but 11 million is a big number and how couldnt it weigh in on a decision that involves his family

Heres another number for you 28 million

The packers will be 28 million dollars under the salary cap for the 2007-2008 season but Cullen Jenkins is a restricted free agent and will require some dollars to stay in town. Ahman Greens contract is up and do you give him some cash or show him the door????

Sunshine is right when he says the records will weigh in but to say Green Bay is on the verge of being a playoff team my be a bit of a stretch. They new schedule has the team playing their usual three opponentsplus the Panthers, Chargers, Redskins, Eagles, and Raiders at home where they had a loosing record in 2006

They will travel to the usual three and play the Giants, Cowboys, Rams, Broncos, and Chiefs

Right now on paper this schedule is horrible for the Packers, right now on paper means absolutly nothing BUT 8-8 or 9-7 would be awesome out of this schedule.

I hope Brett comes back. Lambeau wouldt be the same without him running out of the tunnel.
sworrall
Posted 1/8/2007 11:56 AM (#50308 - in reply to #50280)

I hope he returns, if for no reason to show that he can. tehn again, he deserves to retire and go out 'right'.