Open water eyes....now to eatin em...
Mark Komo
Posted 1/7/2007 7:04 PM (#50289)
Subject: Open water eyes....now to eatin em...

If I have shore lunch one more time, Ima gonna put one in my ear. Picked up some legendary northwoods today. Not bad. Heinecken walleye tonight, sauger blt's tommorrow.

Tried a couple drizzled with olive oil, and sprinkled crushed corn flakes. Not bad.

Some of that stuff is the walleye insider is a bit fancy for me, though the walleye blt was right on.

Love to hear some walleye fixin suggestions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Posted 1/8/2007 9:02 AM (#50292 - in reply to #50289)
Subject: RE: Open water eyes....now to eatin em...

Melt some butter roll the filets in the pan of butter season with lemon pepper, ground peper, add some parsely flakes for color. Bake 350 for about 30 minutes. Get some pasta roni butter and herb. Complete meal in 30 minutes and people go nuts about it.
sworrall
Posted 1/8/2007 11:52 AM (#50306 - in reply to #50292)

Mix a cup of flour with a cup corn meal. Mix in Lawry's, to taste( I add about three table spoons), and Grill spices, any company, one table spoon. Put in a big ziplock and add the fillets, shake them until coated and fry in oil or butter until golden brown.
sworrall
Posted 1/10/2007 9:16 AM (#50384 - in reply to #50289)

Come ON, don't any of you actually cook your fish some days? More!
Jayman
Posted 1/10/2007 9:27 AM (#50385 - in reply to #50384)
Subject: Re: Open water eyes....now to eatin em...

I shouldn't.....but I will.

Jayman's Beer battered walleye.

Take walleye fillets and layout on paper towel and pat dry. Just remove all the excess moisture. Now for the batter.

1 cup of flour (I don't measure much and go by eyeballing so these are "about" numbers)
1 table spoon fresh ground black pepper ( the only kind of pepper to use by the way
1 table spoon lawery's
1-2 teaspoon of galt salt
1 can of beer.

mix all ingridients throughly, I use a wisk til the bubbles stop forming. You want the consisitency of the batter to be similar to pancake batter or thinner. If it's too thick add more beer, and don't forget to have one yourself.

Place "dry" fillets in batter I usually mix them around by hand to get them coated well. Let stand for about 10-15 inutes.

Deep fry and Serve. Be sure to fry up enough, cause you will run out.
team crestliner
Posted 1/10/2007 10:02 AM (#50389 - in reply to #50289)

Instead of flour have you ever tried instant mashed potatoes put them in a blender . blend down use in stead of flour keeps fillets very crispy, Also using beer ads flavor but also gives that nice golden color. Good luck cooking!!!!!

Mark Komo
Posted 1/10/2007 10:23 AM (#50390 - in reply to #50289)

Wow, lots of good suggestions. gonna have to try the jayman recipe as well as the mash potatoes. Thanks mucho.

A friend in the office said to steam it, using soy sauce and some ginger. Could be an option.
Larrys
Posted 1/10/2007 10:29 AM (#50393 - in reply to #50289)

dry fillets. Drag them through flour seasoned with fresh ground pepper and salt to taste. Beat 2 eggs with 1/2 cup of milk and a splash of hot sauce. Run fillets through this mix and then dip them in 50:50 cornmeal/flour seasoned with Cayenne pepper, garlic powder, thyme, and paprika. I apologize for no specific measurement, but I never measure anything. I'm a taster.
For a lighter beer batter, I separate egg yolks from the whites. Add the yolk to a batter like Jayman's. Then beat the egg white so that is thick enough to hold a peak. Then fold egg white into a slightly thin batter. This give a light crisp crust.
Deep fry or pan fry either.
Wife broiled perch fillets baisted in a seasoned mustard sauce last night that was excellent.
Create and enjoy

Jayman
Posted 1/10/2007 10:34 AM (#50394 - in reply to #50393)

I like to use flour and keep the batter thinned down. If the batter gets too thick when you fry it, you'll have more batter than fish.

I like a light coating of batter with the fish.

I normally use Miller lite (beer of choice) for the batter, but I have used some ambers in the past, gives abit darker golden color, but also a unique flavor. Play around with the beer part of it.
hgmeyer
Posted 1/10/2007 1:11 PM (#50407 - in reply to #50289)

1) Mix eggs and a little milk (about the same as scrambled eggs) dip the fillets in the egg mix then into a Cornmeal and flour mix and deep fry in 360 degree oil try a variation of adding some vanilla flavoring to the egg and milk mix

2) Get a good "cajun" spice mix.... dry the fillets and "cover" with the cajun spices... fry in an iron skillet using butter and oil mix.... Delicious for any larger fillet and expecially catfish

3) Very large fish 10lbs + Scale and gut like a panfish remove the head and cut into two or three "loafs" with the skin on... wrap in cheesecloth tightly.... Boil in water and Bays fish boil spices until flaky.... serve with drawn butter like lobster or crab...

4) Using a special fish grill grate (nonstick coated) over charcoal (indirect) grill fillets that have been seasoned with lemon pepper and parsley...

Now the biggest secret.... Tartar sauce..... (some) Salad dressing, (some) dill pickle relish, (some) sweet pickle relish and ( some) dried onion flakes (make up about two hours before the fish is ready to serve)
Brad B
Posted 1/10/2007 5:31 PM (#50426 - in reply to #50289)

Its walleye... put some butter in the pan and cook them.

Or if ya want to get fancy, make a small pan out of aluminum foil and put some butter in that pan, and cook them. I prefer the fish a little dry, so cook until done, then drain off the extra butter and let them dry a minute or two.

NO TARTAR. Just good tasting fish.

BTW, I find that instant pudding is a GREAT side dish when eating walleye.

Edited by Brad B 1/10/2007 5:32 PM
Moo
Posted 1/12/2007 4:55 PM (#50514 - in reply to #50289)

Team Crestliner your right them Taters made a BIG difference...I'll add that one to my list...
Chamookman
Posted 1/13/2007 4:34 AM (#50519 - in reply to #50514)

Try this ! Cut fillets into 1" - 1 1/2" chunks, marinate in a zip-loc overnite with zesty Italian dressing. Get some nice thick cut peppered bacon. Next day, cut the bacon strips in half, and wrap the Walleye chunk in the bacon and skewer. Pop in the oven, or better yet fire up the grill and cook till the bacon is done - AWSOME crowd favorite. Bob
Mark Komo
Posted 1/13/2007 8:21 AM (#50522 - in reply to #50289)

Thats a smokin idea. A fried of does the same with his pheasant breasts. Cuts into strips, wraps it around a pepporcinee pepper, then wraps in bacon. Grills em up. WOW. very tasty.
walleyeralph
Posted 1/15/2007 3:32 PM (#50588 - in reply to #50522)

baked walleye; oven at 500.dip filets in egg and milk then roll in italan breadcrum seasoning and sliced swiss cheese. place in corning dish, pour melted butter with parsley mixed into it over top.cook 15 minutes uncovered. also a cold one chaser.
sworrall
Posted 1/15/2007 4:09 PM (#50591 - in reply to #50588)

Soak Fillet for 15 minutes in marinade made from olive oil, a 1/4 cup soy sauce/burgundy wine/ grill spice marinade. Coat fillet(whole) with flour/spice/cornmeal mix described earlier. Cook until ALMOST done, then sprinkle swiss cheese liberally over fillet, allow to melt, add Parmesan cheeze liberally, sprinkle a bit of colby or the like, let sit for a few moments to cool.

To freaking die for.