Hunter Murdered in Marinette
tyee
Posted 1/8/2007 9:33 PM (#50336)
Subject: Hunter Murdered in Marinette

Probably not the right place for this but I wanted to discuss this in a civil manner, with people I am familiar with. It is a very touchy subject and a few family members are very concerned about hunting next year. Both of these guys had hunting licenses I'd like to know how they got them? One is a Fellon the other can't speak english. Do you think about it when you go in the woods now like I do? Does it affect the way you hunt?
Good Luck
Tyee
Top of the page Bottom of the page
shink
Posted 1/8/2007 10:55 PM (#50338 - in reply to #50336)
Subject: RE: Hunter Murdered in Marinette

It's a real good system we have here, isn't it. Fortunately, I hunt on private land, if I had to hunt on public land, I don't think I would be hunting.

I don't understand how this happens. I bought my daughter a 20 guage shotgun for Christmas, next year will be her first year hunting, After filling out the paperwork and waiting for a background check, it was almost an hour later, don't get me wrong, i'm not against it, but then you have two guys, or I should say at least one guy that shouldn't be carrying a gun, because he is a felon, it's against the law, and another guy that can't speak english.

It's unfortunate that someone died, again. I better stop here, before I dig myself a big hole. We will never know exactly what happened.

Posted 1/9/2007 5:20 AM (#50340 - in reply to #50336)

we cannot blame the young guy for not speaking english. its a free country. i have to blame the gutless fool that lost his right to bear arms. there is no room for hatred in my family. then to go as far as trying to hide the body and shooting himself in the hand for a self defence claim. now he's going down for murder. what if it was you or a friend that crossed paths with this low life?
Jayman
Posted 1/9/2007 10:00 AM (#50343 - in reply to #50340)
Subject: Re: Hunter Murdered in Marinette

"we cannot blame the young guy for not speaking english. its a free country."

Perhaps it's time we make it so, that people need to speak english. Official language. Then it can be law and not speaking english would not be an excuse in cut and dried cases. "Ignorance is not an excuse in the eyes of the law."
Concerned Hunter
Posted 1/9/2007 10:08 AM (#50344 - in reply to #50336)

No excuse for the felon in any way shape or form. However, I disagree with Guest regarding it being a free country and not speaking english. I would guess if he could not speak english then he probably can't read english either.

How did he read and understand the hunting regulations?
How are signs like "No Trespassing" and "Private Property" read by him?

It's a free country, absolutely, but there has to be an obligation to be able to understand and converse in the native tongue.

I am getting sick of the majority needing to conform to the minority. Not only in language barriers but other areas of society as well such as religion (ex: Christmas must be called a "Winter Holiday" so as to not upset a small group of people). Not going to go any further with this here.

It is sad that this has happened, but in light of the recent situations it is not a huge surprise. Very sad...

Mr. Darboy
Posted 1/9/2007 11:52 AM (#50351 - in reply to #50336)

I'd have to agree with concerned hunter as well. Hunting is a privelage, not a right because you live in the USA. Every single person in the wood should have hunters safety, be able to read and understand regulations, signs, etc.

However, I also agree with how the heck did a felon get a gun in the first place? He shouldn't have been there and it seems pretty obvious what his intent was if he hid the body, at this point speculation, but seems pretty far fetched that the other hunter fired first.

As far the the original post, I am not worried because I hunt private land, but if I was hunting public land, it would only be in certain parts of the state where things like this "usually" don't happen. Have seen some of these guys walking in the woods with a .22 rifle and am actually scared after seeing them fire off shot after shot at movement or something furry in the tree.
T-Mac
Posted 1/9/2007 12:03 PM (#50353 - in reply to #50340)

Guest - 1/9/2007 5:20 AM

we cannot blame the young guy for not speaking english. its a free country.

Depends on how long he has been here. Also, it depends on if he is a resident, a citizen or a non-resident hunter?
If he is citizen, then I have a problem with it.
If he is a citizen enough to get a hunting license he should be citizen enough to have learned some english.
If he is a non-resident hunter, but a felon, then he slipped through the system, or the system is flawed.
IMHO.
walleye express
Posted 1/9/2007 12:49 PM (#50354 - in reply to #50338)

shink - 1/8/2007 11:55 PM

It's a real good system we have here, isn't it. Fortunately, I hunt on private land, if I had to hunt on public land, I don't think I would be hunting.

shink.

Didn't that Vietnamese Mung Immigrant from Wisconsin shoot 5 people and kill 4 that were unarmed including one woman, from their own private tree stand on their own private land 2 years ago? Private don't seem to mean what it did 20 years ago.

Edited by walleye express 1/9/2007 12:55 PM
shink
Posted 1/9/2007 1:32 PM (#50355 - in reply to #50354)

yes Dan, they were on private land, but it butted up against public land. I do agree with you that it's not like it used to be. I was up last week, and there was snow on the ground, now I'm the only one that has permission tohunt this land, In two separate areas, I saw foot prints from other people.

I called the landowner, to see if he was up there. It wasn't him. It just blows me away, that people can trepass like that.

The reason I say I feel safe, is because, I know all the neighboring land owners, and there is no public land near the land I hunt.

I have spoken with a couple wardens here in WI. they do say the worst violators are the mungs, in both hunting and especially fishing.
Horshak
Posted 1/9/2007 1:32 PM (#50356 - in reply to #50336)

I hunt public land and I find my instincts I acquired during 8 years of Special Forces coming into play a lot more while in the woods. I didn't think it would come to this but I have a family and don't want to ruin their lives by getting shot by some lunatic. Now don't get me wrong, I am a peaceful and caring person. Just don't piss me off by shooting at me!
justice
Posted 1/9/2007 1:33 PM (#50357 - in reply to #50336)

lets let the story come out and then make judgement. does one not speaking english deserve to get shot and killed? if you think this way then lets organize and start a revolution and take back our country.
thumper
Posted 1/9/2007 1:37 PM (#50359 - in reply to #50336)

According to the newspaper article, Vang came from Thailand 2 years ago and spoke little to no English. The paper also stated "Hunters are NOT required to speak English to receive a license in Wisconsin, although they must prove Wisconsin residency and have taken a certified hunter's safety course if they were born after Jan. 1, 1973."

I would think being able to communicate with other hunters would be a major part of "Hunter's Safety"....

Dave S
Sunshine
Posted 1/9/2007 1:56 PM (#50360 - in reply to #50359)

My sympathy goes out to any family that loses a father and husband because of a senseless murder regardless of his nationality and his ability to speak English. This type of senseless tragedy is very disgusting regardless of who is involved.

I agree, wait a little for the full report before you make a fool out of yourselves. Too many assumptions are starting to be made.

To answer the original question.
Tyee everyone should think about the idiots out there before entering the woods. I quit hunting years ago for various reasons but this type of scenario is one reason why I spend all my time in the boat. You give idiots guns and people die occasionally, accidentally or on purpose.
Loueye
Posted 1/9/2007 2:52 PM (#50364 - in reply to #50360)

"My sympathy goes out to any family that loses a father and husband because of a senseless murder regardless of his nationality and his ability to speak English. This type of senseless tragedy is very disgusting regardless of who is involved"

Well said Sunshine!
hgmeyer
Posted 1/9/2007 5:18 PM (#50369 - in reply to #50360)

Dennis,

As is usually the case I find myself in total agreement with you... Given the excellent history of what appears in the media of any kind I am of the opinion that when I read the newspaper I can count on the fact only that they had paper and ink... anything else is subject to being incorrect or incomplete...
sworrall
Posted 1/10/2007 9:33 AM (#50386 - in reply to #50369)

I find it interesting that when someone commits a crime (especially murder) in the woods it's a huge surprise and a shock to so many, yet so many people are murdered in this country every day it's insane. People are killed for no reason whatsoever it seems some days, over as little as a parking space.

As sportsmen and women, we expect that somehow folks will be 'different' when on the water and in the field, and thankfully, most times they are. People will, however, be people, and generally do some pretty shocking things to each other.
Larrys
Posted 1/10/2007 10:50 AM (#50397 - in reply to #50336)

I agree with Sworrall on this one. Murder creates sadness whenever and wherever it occurs. My NRA cynicism makes me look for the agenda being promoted by making this such a big story. Media loves to use emotion to create and promote an agenda and I see gun control legislation all over this story. Sadly recent research has shown that our choices are influenced more by emotion than rational thought. (recent Scientific American if you want a reference)
shink
Posted 1/10/2007 10:58 AM (#50399 - in reply to #50397)

Gun control shouldn't be an issue in this matter. The shooter was a felon, he would not have been able to purchase a firearm.

As Steve said in an earlier post, murders happen every day, do you think those killers go into a sporting goods store and purchase a firearm? The answer to that question, is NO.

All gun control does, is hurt the law abiding citizens.

We will never know the whole story on this, we will only hear one side.

From my point of view, it pisses me off, that this felon, was in the woods with a gun, which by law, he was not entitled to have. That has nothing to do with gun control, that has to do with some idiot giving this guy a gun.
Sunshine
Posted 1/10/2007 12:14 PM (#50401 - in reply to #50399)

Shink:
You say: "Gun control shouldn't be an issue in this matter. The shooter was a felon; he would not have been able to purchase a firearm. "

What media reporting or police reports have you been reading? Who has reported that he bought a gun? Who has reported that he had a gun in the woods? I'd like to read those articles.

All I've read was that he had a knife during the episode and that they confiscated a gun later from his home. Have you read different reports or are you making assumptions?

It would be interesting to see if other media sources are saying different things.
Grouse
Posted 1/10/2007 1:13 PM (#50408 - in reply to #50336)

Please keep an open mind about this. Like Sunshine said I do not believe we know if he did have a gun on him while in the woods. I believe there is more to this than we know right now.
Mr. Darboy
Posted 1/10/2007 1:50 PM (#50409 - in reply to #50336)

Dennis,

The AP and Appleton Post Crescent today are saying his girlfriend said he was out squirrel hunting with a 12 gauge when he was shot in both hands by the other hunter. Allegedly, he then stabbed the man after he felt his life was in danger.

Kind of an interesting twist now that the girlfriend steps in. Sounds fishy to me though as his story changed 3-4 times when questioned at the hospital.

shink
Posted 1/10/2007 2:25 PM (#50412 - in reply to #50409)

Dennis, Darboy answered your question. And I mentioned Gun control, because Larrys mentioned it in his post.

We will never know what really happened out there.

A lot of hunters out there have a real hatred for what happened a few years ago, with the Chai Vang thing. Killing all those hunters in cold blood.

I"m not making excuses for this guy, or saying what happened in right, but if you remember the hmong communitee was making Chai Vang out to be a hero, and that is why there is such hatred out there.
Sunshine
Posted 1/10/2007 2:30 PM (#50413 - in reply to #50336)

hmmmmmmm............

Interesting, Milwaukee Journal never mentions a fire arm. Now before you jump all over me. I know it says that he was hunting. But they never say or mention that he had a fire arm. Why? Who knows what this guy was doing or thinking?

As my good friend Greg Meyer will agree with............ You do not bring a knife to a gun fight! ............ Right Greg?

Here is the MJ article in it's entirety...............................

Marinette - The fiancée of a squirrel hunter arrested after the weekend death of a Green Bay hunter said Tuesday that he told her he was shot in both hands by the other man during a confrontation and ended up stabbing the man.

"Jim got shot once in his right hand and then he got shot once in his left hand and then they fought," James said Tuesday night from her Marinette home. "All Jim told me was that he stabbed the guy and he didn't know if he killed the guy."

Nichols, 28, was arrested after he showed up at Bay Area Medical Center in Marinette shortly before 7 p.m. for treatment of the wounds. James, who met Nichols several years ago, said Nichols was afraid for his life during the confrontation.

"He was terrified. He didn't know what to do or what was going to happen," James said.

Nichols told her he was walking through the area looking up at the trees for squirrels when he met up with Cha Vang, 30, of Green Bay, a Hmong father of five who emigrated from a Thai refugee camp two years ago.

James said Nichols told her, "I had this guy come up behind me and I told him he was molesting my hunt and scaring the squirrels away, go find someplace else to hunt. He couldn't speak English, and he started yelling."

On Monday, Vang's family said that Cha Vang was a kind person who helped others. They said he didn't speak English and that it's unlikely he could provoke anyone.

Nichols was remorseful about Vang's death, James said.

"He was really upset about that. He was terrified for himself and he was terrified for the other guy."

Nichols remained in the Marinette County Jail on Tuesday on a probation hold pending charges in the slaying of Vang, whose hunting party reported him missing Friday. His body was discovered Saturday.

Authorities have declined to reveal a motive in the case and would say only that Vang and Nichols were both hunting small game on public land in the town of Peshtigo.

Earlier, Marinette County Sheriff James Kanikula said that Nichols' story to investigators "changed three or four times."

Nichols is on probation after serving a prison term for a string of cabin burglaries more than a decade ago. In one of the Marinette County cabins he burglarized, Nichols spray painted "KKK" and a derogatory term toward African-Americans, according to court records.

Whether racial overtones will play a part in the homicide charges is unknown. Marinette County District Attorney Brent DeBord, who was sworn in last week, was not talking to reporters Tuesday.

Nichols' fiancée said he's not racist and that Friday's events had nothing to do with the killings of six hunters in Sawyer County in 2004 by a Hmong man from Minnesota.

"He didn't harbor animosities toward anyone, and I think I would know. I'm his fiancée," James said. "Jim's not racist. He's not. He's got friends in just about any ethnic group he's come across."

Nichols was sentenced to 10 years in prison for a burglary spree in the summer of 1996 in which he and a 15-year-old boy broke into half a dozen cabins in the towns of Amberg and Athelstane in central Marinette County. In most of the burglaries, a fire extinguisher was sprayed throughout the cabins. Other criminal damage included plugging a sink drain and turning on a faucet to flood a cabin, filling a toilet with toothpaste and pretzels, smashing a TV, shooting windows with a BB gun and filling a bathtub with gasoline, oil, detergent and other liquids.

One of the cabin owners reported that someone used red spray paint on his kitchen counter, living room, ceiling and bedroom door. The letters "KKK" and a racial slur were painted on the bedroom door and kitchen counter, according to the criminal complaint.

Nichols, who was born in Iron Mountain, Mich., and dropped out of Wausaukee High School after his sophomore year, was arrested after his car struck a deer and overturned. A deputy sent to the accident noticed stolen items in Nichols' car.

A man who answered the door Tuesday morning at the Amberg address where Nichols lived at the time of the burglaries said "we don't want to talk right now."

At his sentencing in 1997, Nichols apologized to his victims. He told authorities he committed the burglaries to get money. Among the stolen goods was beer, liquor, fishing equipment, electronics, tools and compound bows.

After pleading no contest to three counts of burglary and one count of criminal damage, Nichols was sentenced to prison followed by 10 years of probation and ordered to pay more than $30,000 in restitution. While in prison, Nichols earned his GED.

He was released in February 2002, said state Department of Corrections spokesman John Dipko. Nichols moved to Marinette and then Peshtigo after his release.

James, who met Nichols through mutual friends, said her fiancé has tried to lead an exemplary life since getting out. He has a job and was considering going to school. They planned to get married in a few years.

"He's trying so hard to prove to everybody that even though he did something bad when he was younger that he's not a bad guy," James said.
shink
Posted 1/10/2007 2:36 PM (#50414 - in reply to #50413)

I got it from cnn.com, at the bottom is says both were small game hunting with firearms.
Sunshine
Posted 1/10/2007 2:42 PM (#50416 - in reply to #50414)

hmmmmmmm............

Aaron, I did a search and found www.postcrescent.com

Toda’s article says James Nichols is in custody on an unrelated probation hold. No charges have been filed in connection to Vang’s death.

I also found the article about the fiancee report. She never mentioned a fire arm in the article. I have included that article for your review.

In a press release issued today, Marinette County Dist. Atty. Brent DeBord said the initial investigation into the death of Cha Vang, 30, is completed and the information gathered by investigators is being reviewed.
Vang, Green Bay, went missing while hunting with friends in the Peshtigo Harbor Wildlife Area late Friday. His body was found Saturday and a person of interest — James Nichols, 28, of Peshtigo — is in custody on an unrelated probation hold. No charges have been filed in connection to Vang’s death, which has been deemed a homicide.

This statement was included in the release issued today:

“While the preliminary investigation of the Vang homicide has been completed by law enforcement, my office, in coordination with the Office of the Attorney General, is still compiling reports and reviewing the results of the preliminary investigation,” said DeBord. “To release information at this time could hinder the investigation. The person of interest in this matter is currently being held on other matters. This provides us with the opportunity to more thoroughly investigate the matter prior to a final charging decision.”

DeBord continued, “Wisconsin State Supreme Court Rule 20:3.6 governs the ethical obligations attorneys — including District Attorneys — have when dealing with pre-trial and trial publicity. Because of this rule, the District Attorney’s office cannot discuss details of the case prior to charging. These rules also require that a District Attorney ensures that law enforcement agencies also comply with these restrictions. Even after charging, the District Attorney cannot discuss matters not described in the public record.”

“I understand the public’s right to know and their desire for information. I cannot state with any certainty when charges will be filed. My office is working closely with Sheriff’s Department investigators and reviewing all information generated from the investigation as quickly as possible. This is a very serious matter and needs to be handled correctly from the beginning. I would ask for the public’s continued patience and understanding.”

“Marinette County is a rural county with limited resources. The men and women of the various law enforcement agencies involved in this investigation are to be commended for compiling as much information as they have in such a short period of time. I would also like to thank Sheriff Jim Kanikula for his efforts in educating the public in this matter.”

Man stabbed hunter after confrontation, fiancee reports
The Associated Press
WAUSAU — A man jailed in the death of another hunter was shot once in each hand before he stabbed the victim with a knife, the suspect's fiancee said Tuesday.
Dacia James said she was the first person that James Nichols of Peshtigo talked to after the incident that killed Cha Vang, 30, of Green Bay, late Friday afternoon in a public hunting area just south of Peshtigo.
James, 20, said Nichols, 28, indicated to her that he acted in self-defense after being shot in the hands.
"There was a verbal confrontation first," James said in a telephone interview from her home in Marinette. "Jim told me that he had stabbed the guy. That is all I know."
Marinette County Sheriff Jim Kanikula has released few details of the investigation into Vang's death, other than it occurred after an "accidental meeting" between Vang and another hunter.
The sheriff did not immediately return a telephone message Tuesday seeking comment on what James said.
Nichols didn't immediately report the incident to police because he panicked and was frightened because he was on probation for burglary, James said. But Nichols, after seeking medical care with James at his side, helped investigators try to locate Vang's body within hours after the incident, James said.
Vang's body was found Saturday partially concealed in the Peshtigo Harbor Wildlife Area.
His wife has said he spoke no English and could not have provoked an attack.
Nichols has not been charged in the slaying but was jailed Saturday on a probation violation as a felon in possession of a firearm related to the punishment for 1997 burglary convictions.
Kanikula has said Vang was slain but has not revealed the cause of the death on the advice of the state attorney general's office, which is involved in the investigation.
The incident involving Vang, who is Hmong, has threatened to re-expose racial tensions in the northwoods.
His death came a little more than two years after Hmong immigrant Chai Soua Vang, 38, of St. Paul, Minn., killed six white hunters and injured two in northwestern Wisconsin.

shink
Posted 1/10/2007 2:48 PM (#50417 - in reply to #50416)

ARINETTE, Wisconsin (AP) -- An "accidental meeting" with another hunter led to a Hmong immigrant's death in a wildlife area, a county sheriff said Monday, in an incident that has threatened to re-expose racial tensions in the northwoods.

An autopsy confirmed that the death of Cha Vang, 30, of Green Bay was a homicide, said Marinette County Sheriff Jim Kanikula.

He declined to specify the cause of death but said, "We are in possession of the weapon or weapons involved."

Vang's body was found Saturday in the Peshtigo Harbor Wildlife Area in northern Wisconsin. Deputies arrested 28-year-old James Nichols of Peshtigo that day at a medical center in Marinette after he showed up with a gunshot wound not considered life-threatening.

Nichols is a suspect in Vang's death and is being held for a probation violation as a felon in possession of a firearm, Kanikula said.

"While there is much I would like to tell you, there is much I cannot tell you," Kanikula said at a Monday news conference.

Authorities at the Marinette County jail did not have information Monday night on whether Nichols had a lawyer. A message left at the local public defender's office was not returned.

Vang's death came a little more than two years after Hmong immigrant Chai Soua Vang, 38, of St. Paul, Minnesota, killed six white hunters and injured two in northwestern Wisconsin. He claimed one of them fired in his direction after they shouted racial epithets. He is serving multiple life terms.

Vang is a common name among the Hmong, an ethnic minority group from Southeast Asia. Many have moved into the Midwest.

Even before the 2004 shootings, Hmong hunters claimed they had been harassed, and whites complained that the Hmong do not respect private property.

Kanikula said he did not know whether Vang's death was a hate crime.

Vang and Nichols were using firearms to hunt small game in an area where they had hunted before, Kanikula said. He added that he did not know whether Vang might have been accidentally shot.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may

This is where it says he was small game hunting with a firearm
Sunshine
Posted 1/10/2007 2:53 PM (#50419 - in reply to #50336)

hmmmmmmm............

Shink,
This is scaring me. I just did a search on CNN and read an article.

I found was this quote: “ Nichols, also a licensed hunter, was alone, Steffes said. She couldn't say what he was hunting or whether he had a weapon. A bow-and-arrow deer hunt was also going on at the time, she said.”

Thanks for the reference.

Again, let's all take a deep breath and wait for the facts.

I posted the above articles just to show that it's useless to make any conclusions until the final report comes out.

Edited by Sunshine 1/10/2007 2:58 PM
Mr. Darboy
Posted 1/10/2007 2:54 PM (#50420 - in reply to #50336)

Must be a dozen or more reports out there! Here is one from the AP on the PC's website:

"He turns around and tells the guy that he needs to go to a different spot, not necessarily that he needs to leave the area, but that he was molesting his hunt and scaring the squirrels away," the fiancee said. "Jim said the guy started talking in gibberish that he couldn't understand and then fired at him."

James said Nichols, who was hunting with a 12-gauge shotgun, got hit in the right hand.

One thing is certain, someone was killed which is a sad thing.
Sunshine
Posted 1/10/2007 3:01 PM (#50421 - in reply to #50336)

Aaron,

Thanks for the Quotes

I agree that it is a very sad thing.

As I posted earlier it just shows that it's useless to make any conclusions until the final report comes out.
Gordy
Posted 1/10/2007 7:29 PM (#50429 - in reply to #50336)

This guy might want a trial in a different State, he has already been proven guilty here! The whole story has yet to come out, and people here have him hung out to dry. Maybe everyone should let some FACTS come out before passing final judgement? Just a thought, but until everyone knows the whole story it's hard to pass judgement on anyone.
I don't hunt anymore, mostly because nothing is safe enough for me! Hunters kill hunters every year, most are killed by carless trigger happy people. If you don't know what it is don't shoot. If you know what it is make sure it's safe to shoot. Respecting the power of these guns has gone by the wayside, now it's about killing something rather than the hunt of it. Don't get me wrong, I see nothing wrong with people wanting to hunt (I enjoyed my time in the woods) It's just the few that don't respect the weapons or others with them that scare the he// out of me!
In any case this is a sad story and yet another "black eye" for us as humans.
shink
Posted 1/10/2007 9:41 PM (#50433 - in reply to #50429)

Gordy, the only thing I have him guilty on is, as a felon, he shouldn't be carrying a firearm.

As far as the altercation, I have my opinion on it. I don't have him guilty on the killing, we will have to wait until it all comes out. Even then, we won't know the whole truth, because there were no witnesses.

Shep
Posted 1/11/2007 7:46 AM (#50443 - in reply to #50433)

A felon with a gun, is a not so uncommon thing. And the fact that he was shot in both hands, tells me that both parties are probably at fault here. They are hinting the cause of death was stabbing, so it's anybody's guess as to what really happened. I have to believe the forensics will tell the story better than the guy, his girlfriend, or the spokesman for the family.

The lack of conscience in people today is disturbing. Basic decency is a thing of the past, and we'll never get it back. It is a scary world we live in.

Edited by Shep 1/11/2007 7:50 AM
hgmeyer_unlogged
Posted 1/11/2007 12:47 PM (#50453 - in reply to #50336)

One of the most gut wrenching facts of my life has been the friction and animosity surrounding the Hmong and there adopted homeland here in the US. Why?

In the mid 1960s thousands of Hmong were recruited, supplied and supported by the US as soldiers in their native region in Laos and Vietnam. Hundreds became comrades in arms to our early Special Forces teams... And, many more aided downed American Flyers and lost soldiers. Many Americans, me included, owe their lives to these people.

I wish there was some hope of the friction fading away and the contribution that they made to this country long before their immigration could be highlighted and remembered.

Just a hope...
tyee
Posted 1/11/2007 2:14 PM (#50456 - in reply to #50336)

I'm sure the fact that he is shot in both hands with a 22 will be a determining factor to see how this happened. If he actually self inflicted the wound or not. I could understand being shot in the hand if he grabbed the end of the barrel in self defense but not likely for each hand? There more than likely will have to be a recreation of the act and it should be easy to tell if the wounds are from close range or far away. I do believe a convicted felon can bow hunt although initial reports say he was hunting with a shotgun. Either way he had a gun as well and if a confrontation took place, it appears so far that neither shot in self defense......or did they? If it is determined to be self inflicted for whatever reason it still does not explain the cause and acts that took place. Speculation is all there is until a trial takes place or you are privy to the interviews and investigation. IT SUCKS ALL AROUND. Another cause for the anti's to fight and we as sportsman have to defend ourselves again. The language barrier has been a topic as well as the fact that he obtained a license.

Good Luck
Tyee

Edited by tyee 1/11/2007 2:19 PM
walleye express
Posted 1/11/2007 2:52 PM (#50458 - in reply to #50456)

I'm always more then a little confused when I hear of things like this. Personally, I'm never at better behavior and more understanding then when around a bunch of guys (or one on one with a stranger in the woods) and everybody concered is holding a loaded High powered rifle or shotgun. And my own (patients and understanding metor) has improved 10 fold since I got my CCL license, knowing my responsibility to keep it civil. But what in the He[[ is going on these days. I hope they never start sharpening the tip's of fishing rods.

Edited by walleye express 1/11/2007 2:57 PM
Sunshine
Posted 1/12/2007 5:47 AM (#50475 - in reply to #50336)

Very well said Greg.
Shep
Posted 1/12/2007 8:11 AM (#50479 - in reply to #50475)

Wow, the speculation on this case. Very few facts have been let out, but we have Nichols already guilty, he self inflicted the gunshot wounds to his hands, Vang is a completely innocent victom, and we owe the Hmoung community special treatment because of their support in Viet Nam more than 30 years ago.

I'm waiting to see all that the DA has on this case. With wounds to both hands, I'll bet everyone figures two shots, eh? How about they came about in a defensive posture, holding his hands out in front of him, and a single shot caused the wounds? As for being able to use a knife after being shot, I would think this is very possible. I guess maybe you can bring a knife to a gun fight. I wouldn't be surpised if the only thing Nichols is charged/convicted of is a felon with a firearm.

But then again, I might be totally off base.
hgmeyer
Posted 1/12/2007 9:59 AM (#50490 - in reply to #50336)

Shep,

I prefer the term "understanding", rather than "special treatment". Their presence here was not really a "choice". They emigrated here because to have not done so would have led to their "extinction". Many of those that did stay have vanished.

For some of us, 30 years ago in Vietnam is as real as this past Christmas is to you. I have my own private reason to be forever grateful to them. So, yes, I do believe that the aid that they gave me and four other Marines does deserve my lifelong gratitude. And, by some extension, we were American Marines, serving our country, so this country does need to acknowledge that. That there are problems, I acknowledge. As I said, I wish there weren't and I wish I had a way of helping. But, this is neither the place nor the time to debate this further. I just do not want Mr. Vang "demonized" because of his ethnicity. If he was an agressor or in the wrong that is the fact that should be emphasized, not his ethnicity.

Edited by hgmeyer 1/12/2007 10:02 AM
Shep
Posted 1/12/2007 2:59 PM (#50507 - in reply to #50490)

Greg,

I was of age at that time, so I fully understand what went on over there. I was lucky, I was in Germany for my overseas duty. All I'm saying is, as usual, there is a rush to judgement. I'm going to wait and see what the facts are. As I said, the forensics will tell a lot.