Need help picking out new linecounters
Line Counter
Posted 1/17/2007 12:23 PM (#50665)
Subject: Need help picking out new linecounters

I stopped the other day at Cabelas in Richfield WI. I'm on a mission to update all of the Sealine SG17 Linecounter reels.

I spent 45 minutes checking out the new Ambassador 5500 and 6500 Linecounters, the Acudepths, the Cabelas line and every other model they had.

Other than the Sealine models, I could not find a single model that anyone makes that will release the line when the spool is under pressure. I would wind a small amount of line on the reel, pull the line out and put pressure on the spool and then release the lever. Only the Sealine would release the line. On all the other reels, you had to take the tension off the spool by releasing the line before the line would come out.

3 years ago, I bought 6 Accudepts and returned all of them after only an hour on the lake because they would not release under pressure. So if I'm trolling with a board out and I want to let out additional line, I had to reach up with my other hand and pull the line back to remove the tension on the spool. I don't know about you, but I'm often doing more than one thing at a time and I need to be able to reach down and release the line with one hand.

So I guess I'm looking for a little help. I'd like to stay around $100-$125 per reel, What type of line counter do you have and how long do they last. Out of my 12 Sealine sg17's from last year, 5 had to be sent back to fix something. I was able to repair a couple of the anti-reverse cogs that slipped off, but I'm not convinced that they are the best way to go.

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Richfish
Posted 1/17/2007 1:00 PM (#50666 - in reply to #50665)
Subject: RE: Need help picking out new linecounters

Releasing line with one hand is very simple.
You thumb back the the spool back as you release the lever.
I guess I just have always gotten it.
Remember old bait casters ....you learned how to handle the spool.
Heck your thumb was how you set the hook.
It was the drag.....sore line burn thumbs...........

You love the fact that the spool locks in or you do not.
Only time it has bothered me is in a hard snag.
But that also mean I was a sleep, not "bored watching enuff".

Edited by Richfish 1/17/2007 1:03 PM
thumper
Posted 1/17/2007 1:03 PM (#50667 - in reply to #50665)
Subject: Re: Need help picking out new linecounters

I know when I release any of my trolling reels when under pressure, I hold the spool with my fingers while my thumb releases the lever. I do this just so I can make sure the clicker is on and I don't release one without tension and end up with a mess. I understand what you are saying, to be able to do it one handed and quickly, but I still can do it one handed. I run mostly Pinnacles and they release under tension, but they may not be as quality of a reel as you are looking for, but I like'em.

Dave S
Line Counter
Posted 1/17/2007 1:53 PM (#50669 - in reply to #50667)

90% of the time, I fish by myself so I'm usually in a situation that I don't have both hands free. I usually run into this problem when I'm setting or adjusting the boards and it's nice to just reach down and flip the lever and have the line go out without having to pull back the spool.

Thanks
hgmeyer_unlogged
Posted 1/17/2007 3:28 PM (#50672 - in reply to #50665)

I run mine with the drag set very light so if I snag I have time to deal with the issue before a mess is created... So, the line "locking" is no big deal for me...
Jayman
Posted 1/17/2007 4:16 PM (#50674 - in reply to #50665)

I would think you would want it to "not release" under tension. It's the Oh S*&T factor, and you have a "bird's nest". Like others have mentioned, I do it with one hand, I ALWAYS keep my hand on the spool when I open the bail. I'm a "clickers on" kind of guy so it's just a matter of releasing tension for me and then let the clicker do the rest when letting a board out a bit farther.
Gordy
Posted 1/17/2007 4:17 PM (#50675 - in reply to #50665)

Line Counter - 1/17/2007 12:23 PM

I stopped the other day at Cabelas in Richfield WI. I'm on a mission to update all of the Sealine SG17 Linecounter reels.

I spent 45 minutes checking out the new Ambassador 5500 and 6500 Linecounters, the Acudepths, the Cabelas line and every other model they had.

Other than the Sealine models, I could not find a single model that anyone makes that will release the line when the spool is under pressure. I would wind a small amount of line on the reel, pull the line out and put pressure on the spool and then release the lever. Only the Sealine would release the line. On all the other reels, you had to take the tension off the spool by releasing the line before the line would come out.

3 years ago, I bought 6 Accudepts and returned all of them after only an hour on the lake because they would not release under pressure. So if I'm trolling with a board out and I want to let out additional line, I had to reach up with my other hand and pull the line back to remove the tension on the spool. I don't know about you, but I'm often doing more than one thing at a time and I need to be able to reach down and release the line with one hand.

So I guess I'm looking for a little help. I'd like to stay around $100-$125 per reel, What type of line counter do you have and how long do they last. Out of my 12 Sealine sg17's from last year, 5 had to be sent back to fix something. I was able to repair a couple of the anti-reverse cogs that slipped off, but I'm not convinced that they are the best way to go.

Thanks

The bottom line here is you won't find what you are looking for! Just buy the SG27LCA reels, they are the best you can get and will be the closest thing to what you want.

I fish alone a lot too, and with 3 rods in WI, I know what you are talking about. The 27's are the best reel money can buy (as long as they are the SG version!
Shep
Posted 1/18/2007 11:52 AM (#50696 - in reply to #50675)

Ditto what Gordy says on the Diawa 27's. I stopped using the Accudepth's for eyes beacuse the line would get between the frame and the spool. I went to the LC27's and haven't looked back. As the others said, you just need to get used to usning one hand. Work at the fiorst thing that touches the reel is the thumb on the spool, so that you can back off the tension, and release the lever in one motion. That said, I try to never be in the much of a hurry in the boat.

I use the Accudepth's for pike and muskie now, with 25 lb mono.
jerry
Posted 1/18/2007 2:19 PM (#50698 - in reply to #50696)

I bought my first set of SG27LC's 10 years ago and I've never considered any other linecounter. I have 22 of them set up for different circumstances, i.e. leadcore, fireline, mono, etc. I've sent the reels in to have the drags updated and the reels cleaned and re-lubed, but that's all I've had to do to them. Until someone creates a product that's the equal or better for the same price or less I'm not changing!
Schrof
Posted 1/18/2007 8:13 PM (#50704 - in reply to #50665)

If you want to stay around $90, don't buy anything other than SG27's. Have over 15 of these, all about 5-6 yrs. old. Had to replace my first reel this summer. Oh, by the way, Daiwa replaced it for free. These reels get used heavy through most of the yr. under tournament setting, so they do get beat up, but always seem to perform. Just my opinion.
Big Eyes
Posted 1/19/2007 5:15 PM (#50734 - in reply to #50665)

I understand you want to stay in a certain price range. But, the Shimano Tekota's are by far the best I have ever used. They are durable and dependable. I have used sealine's and they are fantastic also. Give the Shimano a look. Unfortunately they are $170 for the 500 which is comparable size wise to the 27.
Looking for help
Posted 1/20/2007 12:51 AM (#50743 - in reply to #50665)

What size would be like the Sealine SG17s

Thanks
guido
Posted 1/20/2007 8:08 AM (#50748 - in reply to #50665)

i do what jayman does and have never had any problems. all my board combos are 27's. a lot of guys like the 17's which are fine but i prefer the bigger 27's for boards. i only use accudepths for leadcore and have been happy with them so far.
Shep
Posted 1/20/2007 8:44 AM (#50750 - in reply to #50734)

How are the Tekots'a more durable and dependable than the Diawa SG27LC's? They've only been out two or three years. We've heard of Diawa's lasting 10 plus years without problems. What makes the Tekota worth the extra $80? By far the best? I'd say by far the most expensive!

As Jerry said, until somebody makes a line counter better, and for the same money, I'm sticking with the SG27's.
Johnnie Candle
Posted 1/20/2007 9:26 AM (#50753 - in reply to #50665)

If you want to save a few bucks, get your SG27s at Scheels. Buy the ones with the Scheels Oufitter logo on them. They are Daiwa reels built exclusively for Scheels. They have one less bearing, but I will challenge anybody to tell the difference.

You will save about $5 per reel. If you are buying 4 reels, that is 4 new crank baits to go with them.
guido
Posted 1/21/2007 6:57 AM (#50772 - in reply to #50665)

johnnie, i bought some of those 5 foot leadcore rods from scheels and love them! i think a friend told me you refered him to them. at first i was a little scepticle about them until i had my first fish on. perfect for running right off the back.
Scrap Iron
Posted 1/21/2007 12:05 PM (#50776 - in reply to #50665)

I've 2 or 3 of the Scheels reels and they seem to be just as good as the Diawas. Usually they run a sale on them a few times a year, $75 for the 27s. Can't beat that, I think the warranty is even the same on them as well (that's what the guy there told me anyway).