I need some input!
SEMOmike
Posted 1/29/2007 8:50 PM (#51037)
Subject: I need some input!

Guys,

I'm completely new to walleye fishing (I'm a crappie fisherman), however have run across an area below a res. on a fairly large river that a client has shown me pics of huge walleye he has caught. Said that they were all caught just below a highway bridge, the river gets very deep (40'-50' on a river that probably averages 3-6')and the walleye just stack up there.

How would you guys go about catching these? Would you jig twister tails on the upriver slope of the drop, would I use those blade baits and anchor upstream of the drop and cast?

Thanks in advance
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Denver
Posted 1/29/2007 8:55 PM (#51038 - in reply to #51037)
Subject: RE: I need some input!

I'll be glad to show you how to catch them if you show me where it is. lol.
SEMOmike
Posted 1/29/2007 9:09 PM (#51039 - in reply to #51037)
Subject: Re: I need some input!

Hell I'll show you, I'm not greedy. If someone helps me out and wants to drive to Southeast MO, I would be more than happy tp share!!!!!
john mannerino
Posted 1/30/2007 5:08 AM (#51040 - in reply to #51037)

My first place to look is where you said, the front of the hole and work different depths untill you can locate fish. It sounds like a awsome late afternoon/night spot to fish. Cast up in the shallows to look for feeding fish. Be QUIET these fish are spooky. Also work around the bridge supports at the current breaks. With the weather we are haveing up here, I wish I could show you but I cant. Good luck.
jerry
Posted 1/30/2007 6:17 AM (#51043 - in reply to #51040)

SE Missouri?? I'll be there in 2-3 weeks to pickup my new boat. Maybe I should bring some rods with!!!

I like the idea of blade baits in deep water. I would consider casting cranks along the transition at dark and after dark or early morning. If those big fish make mock spawning runs up to the shallows after dark you could really lay into them!! Good luck, get some pictures, and let us know how you do.
Posted 1/30/2007 10:33 AM (#51052 - in reply to #51043)

Experts? Any chance of these fish surviving coming out of this deep hole, if you release them. Reason I rarely go up by the dams on the miss., like the idea of working the shallows around this spot if there's a chance of killing them.
SEMOmike
Posted 1/30/2007 12:00 PM (#51054 - in reply to #51037)

Jerry,

Where you going to be heading? If you are going to be in the general vacinity I will let you know and maybe it would be worth fishing. Sat. temps are supposed to be 32 degrees for highs. I don't think that there is any chance it will freeze, but do walleye really stay active when its that cold? As far as them surviving, I don't know? I do plan on eating a few if I catch some, as many good things as I have heard about walleye as tablefair, there is no way I'm not eating a few.
jerry
Posted 1/30/2007 1:37 PM (#51057 - in reply to #51054)

I wish I was heading down soon. I'm going to Lebanon, MO to the G3 factory sometime soon, but I don't have an exact date.