How Long?????
Horshak
Posted 6/18/2007 4:20 PM (#57531)
Subject: How Long?????

Ok! I know this is a fishing site and I am probably going to be accused of getting off topic, starting a stupid thread, causing VHS, airing secret fishing spots, cheating at tournaments and whatever the heck else I can be blamed for, but I have to ask all of your opinions about something. I know we have a very intelligent member forum here so here goes:

After writing a check to pay for something or using your debit card, you discover that 6 months or a year,maybe more, has passed and the merchant has not requested their money from your bank or the check has not even cleared yet. What do you do? Add the money back into your account like our bank told us after 1 year, call the merchant and ask them to finish the transaction, etc. Is there a legal statute of limitations on this subject? If so, how long? I know my chiropractor has 1 year to make a claim to my insurance company and after that, he's out the money. Does this hold true in this matter of monies clearing banks?

Ok! bash away> I could use a good laugh. Thanks in advance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jayman
Posted 6/18/2007 4:23 PM (#57532 - in reply to #57531)
Subject: Re: How Long?????

What are you dumb or something?

I'd get a call into the merchant/person to get the check/transaction cleared. I know I've had friends call me and tell me to cash thier checks, cause I'm bad at filing that stuff away and forgetting it for a few months.
Horshak
Posted 6/18/2007 4:27 PM (#57533 - in reply to #57531)

Dumb? Waht if there is a limitation and the money stays in the account? Who's the dummy now? LOL! Next!
Purple Skeeter
Posted 6/18/2007 4:30 PM (#57534 - in reply to #57532)

Jayman,

Do you think you and I can exchange a check for $10,000... I'll make sure to call you after a year and tell you to cash it... really... I will. 

Kind of reminds me of my son who is a senior in College and studying for his PHD in Economics.... he asked me the other day if "paychecks from last year are still good?"

Dominic

Horshak
Posted 6/18/2007 4:35 PM (#57535 - in reply to #57531)

So Dominic, were the paychecks still good?
Purple Skeeter
Posted 6/18/2007 5:48 PM (#57538 - in reply to #57531)

Bob,

He had to go back and have them re-issue the paychecks...

Dominic
Rob W
Posted 6/19/2007 5:12 AM (#57557 - in reply to #57531)

The last I heard check are only good for 90 days after that you need to reissue them.
Horshak
Posted 6/19/2007 12:41 PM (#57579 - in reply to #57531)

I've got the answer from a bank manager. The check cannot be cashed after 6 months. WooHoo! More gas money for the boat. The payee is suppose to contact you and request the check be reissued. As far as a debit card, this should never happen. Still don't know what to do about the debit situation.