Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Canning Fish?

Message Subject: Canning Fish?
sworrall
Posted 12/4/2004 8:35 AM (#24846)
Subject: Canning Fish?

Anyone out there can fish? I have some salmon I would like to either can, or do what ever it takes to make it taste like canned salmon and freeze it in vacuum bags.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
walleye express
Posted 12/4/2004 10:16 AM (#24848 - in reply to #24846)
Subject: RE: Canning Fish?

Steve.

In the bottom of a mason jar. 1. Put to your liking, some cut onions. 2. 1 to 2 tablespoons of plain ketsup. 3. 1 teaspoon of garlic powder. 4. Pack fish in on top and fill with water to top. 5. Seal jar and pressure cook per your pressure cookers instructions for fish.

This is the way the wife makes it. It's simple and tastes fantastic. I like it straight out of the jar with crackers or add some mayo and make sandwitches.

I'll bet your real surprised I was the one with the recipe huh.

If your a lobster fan, I got an easy boiled fish/salmon/walleye recipe thats both killer and easy.

Edited by walleye express 12/4/2004 5:35 PM
sworrall
Posted 12/4/2004 12:53 PM (#24849 - in reply to #24848)

Thanks, sir! I'll be after that recipe tomorrow or Monday night. Any others?
walleye express
Posted 12/4/2004 5:44 PM (#24865 - in reply to #24846)

Fish Boil.

1. Cut the salmon or any fish in 2X2 inch cubes.

2. Fill 6 quart pan half full of water, add 1/2 cup Kosher Corse salt and bring to boil. Stir slightly with wooden spoon to make sure all salt is desolved in pan.

3. Add fish and bring back to rolling boil. Only allow fish to be in pan for 11 minutes exactly.

4. While fish is boiling melt 1/2 stick butter in Microwave. Be sure to cover bowl that butter is in with wrap, so it doesn't spallter and make wife mad.

5. Remove fish with collendar spoon after 11 minutes and dip in butter as you eat. I like to make either Uncle Bens or rice a roni with this dish.

Edited by walleye express 12/5/2004 8:36 AM
Tacklebox
Posted 12/5/2004 7:39 AM (#24884 - in reply to #24846)

Steve,
I have canned fish for some time using wide mouth pint jars and a pressure cooker. I can get five jars in a batch. It's best to fillet, remove the skin and the belly meat. Also remove the lateral "mud" line on larger fish. I cut the fillet so you can roll it up and stuff it into the jar using smaller pieces to fill in. Leave about a 1/2" opening at the top. I only add about a 1/2 tsp of salt. Most fish works well and the product can be eaten as is or used in a spread or in fish patties. I do vennison the same way but add a tsp of dry onion soup mix for flavor.

sworrall
Posted 12/6/2004 7:56 AM (#24907 - in reply to #24884)

Well, here we go! Sue borrowed a big old pressure cooker and bought some Kerr jars yesterday, so tonight when I get back from seeing one of my Tuffy dealers up North, I'll be trying this out. Any last minute advice?
sworrall
Posted 12/6/2004 5:37 PM (#24938 - in reply to #24907)

Well, the pressure cooker is full, and on 10 pounds for 100 minutes with Dan's recipe. I'll let you know how it goes. This is much easier than I thought it would be.
walleye express
Posted 12/6/2004 9:27 PM (#24940 - in reply to #24846)

Steve.

Your lucky I don't live closer to you. I'd be over your house mooching a jar or two off ya. I fried up my last pack of Salmon tonight. Got enough left over for finger munchies when me and the bud take the next night trip on the river this Wednesday. Yum.....

Edited by walleye express 12/6/2004 9:28 PM
sworrall
Posted 12/7/2004 7:59 AM (#24943 - in reply to #24940)

Here's the initial results of the project. Note the missing jar, that one went to Butternut lake where Keith is Creel Census for the DNR this winter. Looks like I'll have to can alot more if I want to have it around, the stuff is hardly cool! Anyone else have a recipe I can try? I like the two I tried so far, excellent!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSCF0021.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCF0021.JPG (89KB - 192 downloads)
walleye express
Posted 12/7/2004 11:01 AM (#24953 - in reply to #24846)

Steve.

I see you left out the ketsup on a few of the jars. All the ketsup does really is add a little flavor and with the vinegar in it, softens any bones that might have been left in the chunks. You can now use these canned salmon the same way you would tuna, except they taste much better. I especially like making salmon salad sandwitches. Just add Mayo, more fresh onion and small diced peaces of celery. Man thats living.

Edited by walleye express 12/7/2004 11:05 AM
Richfish
Posted 12/7/2004 3:08 PM (#24963 - in reply to #24846)

Ok......
Are you saying that salmon canned then become plallete-able?
Cause I always just give them away to guys who want to smoke them.
Or fillet them the coho's for them to grill.
I have had salmon patties, that my grandma made, that I liked that with peas and cream sauce.
She is gone so no luck getting that.
But I have not found a way that I can eat them from Lake Mich.
Just a little picky I guess.

Dan, he made both recipes I belive.

Edited by Richfish 12/7/2004 3:12 PM
walleye express
Posted 12/7/2004 3:35 PM (#24966 - in reply to #24846)

Richfish.

I truly believe/know it's all in the preperation of the fish. My wifes a (P.T.) Physical Theropist, and I clean out my freezer and put on a fish fry every summer for the head injured clients at the facility that my wife works for. There is always about 3 to 5 people who give me the "I never liked or eat fish" statement at the fish fry. I can honestly say, that every one of them I talk into trying my deep fried fish, like it and come back for more immediately. Their statement is, "I've never tasted fish this good". "It don't even taste like fish". The key is taking care of the fish properly as soon as you catch them. Clean them properly and soak the fillets for a short period of time in an iodized salt soultion before packing and freezing. This breaks down the fatty tissues, firms and slightly flavors the flesh and draws all the blood out of the fillet. Then keeping the chunks smaller when frying, also lessens the fish taste and brings out the batter flavor more.

Edited by walleye express 12/7/2004 8:42 PM
Richfish
Posted 12/7/2004 7:19 PM (#24971 - in reply to #24846)

Do not get me wrong I like fish.............
Walleyes , saugers, gills, perch, northern, heck I have even enjoyed eatting Muskies.(I know, but they die also)
Heck I even ate saugers from the Ill. river just open faced broiled with a touch of butter.
Now how many of you have tried that.(tasted just fine)
Shepshead are some of the best eatting around if you care for them right.(smaller ones when the water is cold..Yum!!!!)

But It is hard for me to like trout or salmon.
I do not let any one else take care of/or clean my fish.
I will loose it at the mouthing of a scale or latteral line bone.

There fore I am always the fish cleaner............or one of.
I will not cut in to the innereds of any fish I clean.
No rib cage bones ever cut here.
No belly meat in the packages.
Not after my day spent at Great Lakes Res. watching the tissue sampling for toxins.
There is a long list of people that want anything coming out of my freezer.

I can eat trout (browns/rainbows/splake) till about 2-2.5 lbs form the lake here.
But after that they taste like an old tire.......

I fillet and grill coho for people and they love it, I can not even get throught the first bite.
Clean and steak the Kings for the people who want them.
Chunked for the guys for the smoker.
Some ask for them whole and thats is how the get them, and fresh.

One recipe we came up with is popcorn trout.
We parboil the fillets quickly.
Then shred the meat off the skins.
Bread the peices of meat and fry them.
Eat with cocktail sauce as if they are popcorn shrimp.
I love that but they still need to be under the size range for me to eat them.

Just have not eatted a salmon yet that I liked.
I am will to try new stuff though and will keep a open mind.
FreeByrdSteve
Posted 12/7/2004 9:30 PM (#24975 - in reply to #24846)

Richfish,
I had my first experience with canned steelhead this summer and it is very good. Best way I've found for it. Luckily the weekend we hit the motherload of Erie Steelhead (30 boated on sat and 25 boated on Sunday that went from 5-12 pounds with a better than 7# average) I had some friends along that were into canning fish. Obvoiusly we had A LOT of meat and I was pleasantly surprised at how good the canned stuff was - better than other ways I had it in the past for sure. One little twist a buddy showed me when making "tuna/steelhead/salmon" salad by adding a bit of mayo and just mixing it up was to add some Old Bay seasoning like you would use to boil shrimp, etc. That was good and even better when I added a few squirts of lemon juice in. The real test of how this stuff tastes is that MY MOM LIKES IT......

Capt Dan - I've had the pleasure of converting a few "non fish eaters" myself during my fall, winter and spring fish fries. We did two big fish fries at deer camp last week....MMMM (The eating was better than the hunting unfortunately)

Steve
sworrall
Posted 12/9/2004 10:36 PM (#25043 - in reply to #24975)

The canning project is going very well indeed. We have sampled the goods, and found the fish to be fantstic! Thanks, everyone, for the help We're now in the process of canning Venison for Keith to take to his Creel Census job this winter and Spring.
HollyP
Posted 4/3/2018 10:05 AM (#116521 - in reply to #24943)

New User

This post made me crave canned fish. I’ve eaten it before but never done it. Bought a pressure canner a while ago, so gave it a whirl yesterday. Mine are a lot darker than yours. And idea why? I halved the pre jar recipe as I have half pints, but didn’t do anything else different.
sworrall
Posted 4/9/2018 6:15 PM (#116528 - in reply to #24846)
Subject: Re: Canning Fish?

That depends on the type of fish you were canning and anything you added. We ad absolutely nothing to the fish other than a bit of lemon juice. Also, the suckers we can are white suckers, other species have darker meat sometimes. Hope this helps!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)