Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> Walleye Tackle and Equipment -> Willow cat soft plastics?

Message Subject: Willow cat soft plastics?
iceman35
Posted 6/29/2009 5:51 AM (#82750)
Subject: Willow cat soft plastics?

I read below about willow cats as bait for walleyes... anybody try any soft plastics that resemble them? Maybe some sort of goby? case madtoms are close... also the spank em baits gobie looks real close...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GNWC Rookie
Posted 6/29/2009 8:20 AM (#82751 - in reply to #82750)
Subject: RE: Willow cat soft plastics?

There have been a lot of guys trying the plastic versions on the Mississippi and they just haven't caught on. I've tried the gulp gobies and caught some fish, but as a test I fished regular gulp on those same days and caught fish on those too.

I think there is a certain smell comming off the slime of the willow cats, that has yet to be reproduced on artificials. If they come up with a spray, they could sell a ton of it. I've caught fish on the Case Madtoms, but usually when I run them behind a real cat.
KHedquist
Posted 6/29/2009 10:04 AM (#82758 - in reply to #82751)

I have had good succes with GULP Gobies
Posted 7/30/2009 9:23 PM (#83747 - in reply to #82750)

I live in iowa does anyone know of a bait shop were willow cats are sold?
hgmeyer_ul
Posted 8/4/2009 4:12 PM (#83840 - in reply to #82750)

I have tried the plastics with no success. And, I haven't heard anyone report them as successful.
Mark Komo
Posted 9/25/2009 10:06 AM (#85473 - in reply to #82750)
Subject: Re: Willow cat soft plastics?

Smell as definately something to do with it. Back in the70's when my dad taught me to fish willowcats outta bass camp near winona (pool5a), he always cut the skin behind the head. Then pulled the skin back just a touch with some needlenose. That trick alone got us walleyes when others with willows cats just didnt work. So, the smell/slime has a great deal to do with it.
iceman35
Posted 9/29/2009 6:32 AM (#85568 - in reply to #82750)

great info Komo... let me ask this being from the far east... I know these cats are like little bullhead... what is the standard rigging for these live baits? thanks...
GNWC Rookie
Posted 9/29/2009 9:00 AM (#85576 - in reply to #85568)

The majority of the time, willow cats are rigged on a single hook on a live bait rig.

Single hook with about a 18"-3' leader to a ball bearing swivel with an egg sinker above. This allows the bait to roll in the current. They're most commonly fished on the Mississippi above wing dams, so this set up allows the bait to roll along the face of the wing dam covering more ground.

They can be used in sloughs, snags etc... Some guys like to put them on a jig and drag them or jig them.
iceman35
Posted 9/30/2009 6:20 AM (#85609 - in reply to #82750)

great info rook... actually blended in good with an article in FLW mag (bass) about wing dams...
I just dug out my gobie box and the best willow cat plastic I got is the spank em gobie... small simple shape...
word of caution, be careful typing in spank em in your search engine... I will try and get a link when I can find it and post it...
I guess in a pinch like Komo says scent could be a good thing... soak good in some smelly jelly... might work...
being a bass tourney guy mainly, live bait is never an issue... with walleye events, I think I'm missing a whole deal in getting bait for an event... must be tough sometimes... my hats off to you guys...
Posted 11/23/2009 3:09 PM (#86824 - in reply to #82750)

Case plastic makes a Mad Tom that would be prefect
http://www.caseplastics.com/creature.html
Driftwood
Posted 11/13/2019 5:57 PM (#118006 - in reply to #82750)

New User

There's a soft plastic that is scented with real willowcats. It's called liquid willowcat. I'm sure a quick google search would find their website
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)