Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> Walleye Tackle and Equipment -> Streamer Flies and 3-Ways on Rivers

Message Subject: Streamer Flies and 3-Ways on Rivers
Sam Ubl
Posted 3/13/2012 9:14 AM (#103037)
Subject: Streamer Flies and 3-Ways on Rivers

With the limited amount of daylight I have to operate after work, there are a few local dams within a short drive of my home that afford off-shore opportunities that just make life a little easier. I've found success snap jigging hair jigs or plain jigs and minnows, I've also used three-ways with floating jigs or plain aberdeen hooks and minnows to catch walleye below dams, but lately I've been hearing more and more about streamer flies for walleye.

So, a couple questions:

1) I would normally assume to tip the streamer fly with a minnow. This means stopping for bait and dealing with it.. is it necessary with streamer flies or are most of you just letting the hair on the fly put the motion in the potion?

2) Are blades above the fly a bonus are do most of you forget about a small blade and just use the fly?

3) Anyone ever use a jig and minnow as the "weight" end of the three-way and the streamer fly as your main line? I would think two hooks would be better than one and it's legal here in Wisconsin, so..

4) Best weights I've found for three-ways when letting it ride the current are pencil weights because for me they seem to get hung up less than your typical bell sinker. Any other insight?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jim Ordway
Posted 3/13/2012 12:18 PM (#103046 - in reply to #103037)
Subject: RE: Streamer Flies and 3-Ways on Rivers

Flies only
blades an intersting idea
jig for weight with live bait is interesting idea
It seems that when flies are working, they need nothing but the hot color, rod action they find enticing, and active fish.
Take care,
Jim O
Sunshine
Posted 3/14/2012 4:41 PM (#103080 - in reply to #103046)
Subject: Re: Streamer Flies and 3-Ways on Rivers

Do not take away the natural attracting power of a fly by adding weight of minnows or spinners. Less is more in my experience, I even thin down most hair. Try using a two fly rig in tandem. Keep you rig in a 30 to 45 degree angle from boat. Vary weight to make this happen. A jig works on a clean bottom but most times a pencil weight is best. The system works any whee you have moving water. Fly fishermen were right about streamers all these years. Getti g a double is a hoot. I switch when the white bass are thick. They tear up the flies too much, but action can be unbelievable. My favorite colors are green bay packer combo and Minnesota viking combo. Red and yellow works real well too, ask any old timer on the bago system.
Uttss
Posted 3/16/2012 9:39 AM (#103112 - in reply to #103037)

What size hook do they use? 4 or a 2
Sam Ubl
Posted 3/16/2012 1:45 PM (#103114 - in reply to #103037)

Great feedback, Jim and Sunshine, thanks.
Mud Duck
Posted 3/17/2012 8:46 AM (#103121 - in reply to #103080)

Dennis,

Are these similar to the color patterns you referenced? They have been good colors for me as well.
Mud Duck
Posted 3/17/2012 8:53 AM (#103122 - in reply to #103080)

N/M

Edited by Mud Duck 3/17/2012 9:02 AM
Mud Duck
Posted 3/17/2012 8:57 AM (#103123 - in reply to #103080)

Dennis,

Are these similar to the color patterns you referenced? They have been good colors for me as well.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Kurly Lambeau.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Purple Pride.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Kurly Lambeau.jpg (73KB - 419 downloads)
Attachments Purple Pride.jpg (78KB - 693 downloads)
Mud Duck
Posted 3/17/2012 9:04 AM (#103124 - in reply to #103123)

Wow, making multiple posts for some reason, Will step away from the coffee & the keyboard for a while this morning!
AvgJoe
Posted 3/17/2012 9:38 AM (#103125 - in reply to #103037)

I imagine color is related to the body of water, I like black and red as well as Packer colors in Oshskosh. Two flies of different colors on the same rig is good. I don't see many people doing this above Poygan. Seems like it could be effective going against the current on the upriver run. Folks have thoughts on that?
Mud Duck
Posted 3/17/2012 10:00 AM (#103126 - in reply to #103125)

Flies & fly color is always an interesting option. I'm certainly not an expert on them as I just began experimenting with them in the last 10 years. I like using them on some of the flowages I fish in north central WI. On one particular flowage a good color is a bluegill or a perch color pattern. Have also had success with either all black or all white. Just another piece to the puzzle!
Sunshine
Posted 3/17/2012 6:06 PM (#103129 - in reply to #103126)

Ding, ding ding ...... Those are great colors mud duck. You got it
fishnfool
Posted 3/17/2012 10:13 PM (#103130 - in reply to #103037)

I love pulling flys I fishe oshkosh about 10 x with a limt every time the colors that are my standard is red and purple, black and red, green and red and blue and white. I always but in a strand of silver tinsel, I usually pull 2 flies my rig is so simple will try to explain take a line stretch it out the length of both arms, fold it in half at the bend take 2 ends and make them a foot different then slide doen to the bend do a overhand knot at the oveer hand tie on a 18" line the other end will tie 2 the 3way on the 2 ends tie on your flies they never tangle and there is no other weight to interfer with the action hope this makes sense
AvgJoe
Posted 3/17/2012 11:15 PM (#103131 - in reply to #103130)

I run two fly lines off of a swivel 18" beyond the 3 way or tie two lines to the 3-way - but they do tangle too much. So I am interested in what you are saying fishn'fool. I can see most of what you are saying, but don't understand how you tie an 18" line to the overhand knot.
iceman35
Posted 3/18/2012 7:16 AM (#103132 - in reply to #103131)

So is there a source for "walleye" streamers?? No, I do not plan on making my own...
try tying to streamers on leaders with small swivels... one about 20" long, the other about 10" thread the 20 onto your main line then tie the 10 on... put some weight of your choice a few feet ahead of this... never had much of a tangle problem with this...
here in NY I could see a green back white bottom or a blue back white bottom doing well... giant and jets colors...
very nice thread... Posts not the fly... got me thinkin'... some great looking saltwater streamers out there...
Sunshine
Posted 3/18/2012 8:04 AM (#103133 - in reply to #103132)

Lots of bait shops around bago sell them. Rainbow park baits used o have a very nice selection. Someone could check.
I too would be interested inspiring Jim's rig. I get the occasional cluster. Some of the manufacturers that sell streamers for the lire at lakes have a nice assortment of small stamer flies that they use behind dodgers.

Works anywhere there is current. Anyone use them successfully in areas without current? I have not.
Mud Duck
Posted 3/18/2012 12:04 PM (#103136 - in reply to #103133)

I have used them with sucess on some flowages. I know that the term "flowage" may imply current, but given the specific location, time of year, water level, etc. there may be little or no flow. Also use them throughout the season. Was catching a mixed bag of walleyes, blugills, & perch on them last August & September on a flowage I like to fish. I was pulling a variety of presentations through some key areas including slow death & floaters. Streamers were equally effective, each bait/presentation seemed to have it's day. Tried a little of each & let the fish decide which they preferred on the given day.
streamers
Posted 3/18/2012 8:16 PM (#103146 - in reply to #103037)

ave jo you have your line divided you have the overhand not tied in the loop of the overhand tie on the 18" line then tie the 18" other end to the 3way also i use bell sinkers over pencil weights seem to work just as good and easier to find I tend to use no more then 3/4 oz. when its cold i pull real easy and when water is warm i jerk harder. if anyone has the time to meet i will demo the method and how i tie the rig, the other thing is its so simple to tie the flys and relatively cheap a good past time I can bring all the stuff and have you tying everything in less then 20 min. my e-mail is [email protected]. jim
fishnfool
Posted 3/18/2012 10:44 PM (#103149 - in reply to #103146)

fishnfool that last post not streamers a whoops moment
Mark Komo
Posted 3/19/2012 11:36 AM (#103153 - in reply to #103037)

I have had a lot of luck on the illiois river with red flys (longer streamers). We have also caught a ton of fish out of petenwell using a 3 way with a fly and a bit of crawler. A few years ago, I started casting them I met a fellow on the fox river near oshkosh(jeff street bridge) and he was doing very well, where as I was vertical jiggin so so.

I struck up a conversation and he clued me in. Nice little setup too. Small pencil weight on 3 way. I incorporated my "sliding" dropper concept and it has worked out very well.
fishnfool
Posted 3/20/2012 7:39 AM (#103165 - in reply to #103037)

I was out last nite from 3:30 to 6 and had 4 eyes and 18 white bass down at the senior center in Oshkosh whats nice about oshkosh there is so many places to fish from shore and catch fish this is such an incredible fishery all the fish ccame on a purple and black fly they would not take any other color.
Sunshine
Posted 3/20/2012 4:44 PM (#103178 - in reply to #103165)

.... And you were so close to home too! How do you like the senior living center? Lol
fishnfool
Posted 3/20/2012 8:03 PM (#103183 - in reply to #103037)

rotflmao Dennis Dennis Dennis what was i going to say I forgot oh yeah so when are you coming up boats ready to go flys all tied new locators going on life is good if i can remember what the heck i was talking about
AvgJoe
Posted 3/20/2012 8:50 PM (#103185 - in reply to #103183)

I bought flies from this guy. He was a great guy - he lives in this area, but gave the flies to his father in oshkosh. Good deal, well made. I could probably make them, but there are so many things I am average at I don't want to add this to the list. The posting below ran in march of 11 in case the link does not work.

http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1...
fishnfool
Posted 3/21/2012 7:16 PM (#103191 - in reply to #103037)

today was t6he day of white bass a ton of small ones maybe 6" long and 5 little eyes up at 21 bridge a lot of big whites i was to stubborn to move was fishing from the dock just having fun all on flys
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)