Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fish mortality from deep water angling

Message Subject: Fish mortality from deep water angling
Tunah1
Posted 12/2/2018 11:09 AM (#116631)
Subject: Fish mortality from deep water angling

New User

Might be bringing up a discussion that has been covered earlier but am looking for a solution since I have become aware of deep water walleye fishing and fish that need to be released back due to size restrictions. I've seen devices on line for sending fish back down to 30ft or deeper (right after being caught) and also needles for puncturing the fishes bladder. I had been fishing this fall in 36' of water with Lead Core and had a fantastic outing catching a limit of fish with 3 other buddies. The fish in the live well stayed alive but were upside-down due to the bends. If I was to release any of them I was told they had a high mortality rate from being from deep water. Is there a way to release them and not have them die due to the water depth?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jerry
Posted 12/5/2018 6:31 AM (#116632 - in reply to #116631)
Subject: RE: Fish mortality from deep water angling

Take 2-3 ounce snap weights and apply them to the pectoral fins of the fish on each side, righting them up. They will sink to the bottom of the livewell and decompress.
Tunah1
Posted 12/6/2018 5:03 PM (#116633 - in reply to #116631)
Subject: Re: Fish mortality from deep water angling

New User

That seem much better than sticking the fish with a needle:) Thanks
buckmyster
Posted 2/1/2019 3:58 PM (#116644 - in reply to #116631)
Subject: RE: Fish mortality from deep water angling

ive always noticed that the little dinks i throw back go back down very quickly so once they get back down deep enough. i dont think the bends is an issue. the ones in the livewell dont go belly up immediately either. it takes a minute. here we catch em down 50 to 60 ft too. usually suspended though. just unhook em and get them back in the water fast.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)