Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Regional Walleye Fishing -> Winnebago Walleyes -> Crawlering...... reports

Message Subject: Crawlering...... reports
Purple Skeeter
Posted 5/10/2006 10:30 PM (#43490)
Subject: Crawlering...... reports

x

Edited by Purple Skeeter 6/28/2006 7:46 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
AXL
Posted 5/11/2006 12:37 AM (#43492 - in reply to #43490)
Subject: RE: Crawlering...... reports

And to think I went fishing with you last weekend! Wow!....lol
I loved the report though, keep them coming.
I had a report from the east side of Neenah that said he did very well for crawlers as well......
He was using a coleman lantern though, and had to use propane for the best luck.
I guess they could smell the gasoline and he was forced to switch to propane.
I lost two monster crawlers on Tuesday night to the city drain.
They were niced sized and I was mad I missed them.
Maybe the next rainfall they will be back!!!!

BeFishin
Posted 5/11/2006 8:09 AM (#43499 - in reply to #43490)

This morning was OK. I tried a new spot, a new subdivision, but not enough basement dug yet, so it was a waste of time. The wind and rain were terrible, had to come back into the wind.

Had a few minutes left before I had to go in, went to a favorite spot and got another couple dozen. Ended the morning with about 5 dozen.

Fishthrills
Posted 5/11/2006 8:39 AM (#43502 - in reply to #43490)

We'll we have a nice crawler chop starting today fellows. Thewinds 30-45 mph,The waves on the big lake 12'-15' " CAN YOU SAY GALEFORCE WINDS"?
butch
Posted 5/11/2006 8:58 AM (#43507 - in reply to #43490)

Given the current condition in the U.P. right now I might try a little trolling tonight for crawlers they are calling for 4 to 6 inches of rain so I will just climb in the blazer and ride some roads looking for pockets of active crawlers.
BeFishin
Posted 5/11/2006 10:08 AM (#43517 - in reply to #43507)

Just don't run any over! I hate to see them in the headlights of a car. Talk about burning a spot!
BIG BOBBER
Posted 5/11/2006 11:21 AM (#43532 - in reply to #43490)

Just remember to practice "QWM" - Quality Worm Management
Let em' go, so he can grow!
They should be out thick tonight with all this rain. In fact I may just go barefoot and pick them up with my toes as well.
Better get permission from the neighbors as well, somebody creeping thru their backyard with a flashlight might look a little suspicious.
Fibtat
Posted 5/11/2006 1:26 PM (#43550 - in reply to #43490)

I have a forest preserve near the shop.The access road has a tall curb.The crawlers can't make it up the curb so they crawl along to a seam in the curb where they try to squirm through.They accumulate at each seam by the dozens.I scope them up by the handfulls,during the day,no less! It's a beautiful thing especially as a dozen worms costs as much as a gallon of gas!
Purple Skeeter
Posted 5/11/2006 1:46 PM (#43554 - in reply to #43490)

x

Edited by Purple Skeeter 6/28/2006 7:46 PM
wannagopro
Posted 5/11/2006 2:56 PM (#43559 - in reply to #43490)

heading out in a few hours to try the "night bite", will post my results later.
gilman911
Posted 5/11/2006 4:27 PM (#43567 - in reply to #43532)

Hey Big Bobber.......why stop at "QWM"? I say we shoot for "TWM"-trophy worm management!! If we get enough contiguous parcels, and nobody cheats by keeping a worm less than 2 feet, we are sure to come up with a new state record, especially if you can extricate the big boy on a light line like 2 lb test. We need to come up with the equivalent of the Pope & Young system so we can record the trophy crawlers. What 50 mph winds and lack of fishing will cause!!!
Shep
Posted 5/11/2006 7:42 PM (#43580 - in reply to #43567)

Hee Hee! This is a great thread! Thanks, Purp!

I think after Zach gets here, maybe we'll break out a couple flashlights and some coffee cans, and do a little drop shotting for crawlers. I like the stealthy approach. My old neighbor had the deal where you plugged it in to an extension cord, and poked two leads into the ground. The crawlerss did a tail walk like a St Claire muskie! hehehe I called him a cheater.
Purple Skeeter
Posted 5/11/2006 9:07 PM (#43586 - in reply to #43580)

x

Edited by Purple Skeeter 6/28/2006 7:47 PM
butch
Posted 5/12/2006 4:27 AM (#43588 - in reply to #43490)

they are pretty easy to make but they work best run off the old screw in fuse's just atach the end of an extension cord to 2 metal rods use rubber hoseing to make insulated handles and be sure to have rubber soled shoes on so you do not ground yourself out. When I was a kid a neighborhood retired guy used to pick crawlers like that and sell them then he would give the money to his grand kids. As a bounus you will have a very well areated lawn.

Edited by butch 5/12/2006 4:29 AM
butch
Posted 5/12/2006 5:48 AM (#43589 - in reply to #43490)

Due to a rapid drop in water temps last night I decided to pass on trying to find crawlers in an inch of slush. Hopefully the water temps tonight will be up a little and I will give it another go.
BIG BOBBER
Posted 5/12/2006 7:58 AM (#43596 - in reply to #43490)

I've used one of those worm rods before, it was shaped like a T. The only problem was that the the electrical tape was worn thru on one of the corners, so when I touched that spot I got a bit of a shock. That was the last time I used that thing. I wouldn't want to be the first person killed while picking crawlers.
Purple Skeeter
Posted 5/12/2006 8:58 AM (#43598 - in reply to #43490)

x

Edited by Purple Skeeter 6/28/2006 7:47 PM
wannagopro
Posted 5/12/2006 9:43 AM (#43602 - in reply to #43490)

well, the front definately shut em down in New London last night, notta 1 to be seen, went out every 1/2 hour from 7-10 adn checked all my usual hot spots but to no avail. i wasnt sure at first if it was the front that came through or the Weed B Gone i spread wednesday, but checked out a acouple neighbors yards as well and came up empty there too..........I was starting to get upset, thought i was going to have to change the name of that stuff to "worm be gone".
will try to get out a night or too this weekend, if it ever warms up a bit, 37^ must be a tad bit cold.
jackglasseye
Posted 5/12/2006 12:12 PM (#43614 - in reply to #43602)

Really good stuff, and why not with the way the weather has been....... I always used to go for the double grabs myself and was very proud of getting two - until my Dad cracked me for doing it. Here I thought he would be proud of me getting two at once... He explained to me that if they were that close they "had other things on their minds" and that I should leave them alone! He went on to assure me that if I left them alone, there would always be more to pick! I started talkin about how if that was like the birds and the bees ..... then he cracked me again, No need to worry, they were those light lovin' cracks that we used to get growing up!
Fibtat
Posted 5/12/2006 2:07 PM (#43626 - in reply to #43490)

Purple Skeeter,my hotspot is south of the cheddar curtin in Palatine,Il by the infamous Brown's Chicken.However,I believe the pattern will hold up anywhere.You can read about when my book,"Night-crawler Patterns"is published!
Hafe
Posted 5/12/2006 2:40 PM (#43630 - in reply to #43490)

I joined in and got a couple dozen last night, it was easy they were standing straight up-now for the big question....how long do you have to micro wave them to thaw them out?
butch
Posted 5/12/2006 2:49 PM (#43631 - in reply to #43490)

I prefer to roll them in corn meal and deep fry than to microwave but whatever floats your boat but I always thought they got a bit chewy in the microwave.
Purple Skeeter
Posted 5/12/2006 3:11 PM (#43634 - in reply to #43631)

x

Edited by Purple Skeeter 6/28/2006 7:48 PM
butch
Posted 5/13/2006 1:48 AM (#43653 - in reply to #43490)

I spent an about 35 minutes last night pounding the turf looking for some hawgs. came up 4 short of a limit only managing to land 1. Had four shake the hook and about a dozen bumps. This front seams to have them shut down. Well on saturday I will move on to the lowley little walleye instead of the highly prized night crawler. Hopefully next week the crawlers will be stageing for the spawn and will be bunched up a little more.
wannagopro
Posted 5/13/2006 8:36 PM (#43684 - in reply to #43490)

was out last night for a bit, ended up with 2 dozen in 20 minutes or so........pesky lil turds were uneasy, get a light anywhere near there vicinity and they would shoot back down the hole like there was a fire raging through. got a few more than my possession limit now....so im gonna lay low for a bit until my inventory dwindles a tad.
good luck on your hunts
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)