Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> Walleye Boats and Motors -> 175 merc alarm

Message Subject: 175 merc alarm
fishtrap
Posted 3/22/2009 3:51 PM (#79286)
Subject: 175 merc alarm

I have a 2001 175 merc efi it sounded an audible alarm under my dash when running.I shut motor down and alarm stopped waited abit ,then started motor again and ran another few miles and alarm went off again.Have oil in res.,I am assuming it is overheating.Any help is appreciated.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Horshak
Posted 3/22/2009 6:05 PM (#79288 - in reply to #79286)
Subject: Re: 175 merc alarm

It may be the impeller for your water pump. Get it looked at soon. Is there water coming from the weep hole?
fishtrap
Posted 3/23/2009 4:54 PM (#79334 - in reply to #79286)
Subject: RE: 175 merc alarm

Yes,it may be impeller have not had it change in a long time.It still is shooting water tho
weasel
Posted 3/23/2009 5:12 PM (#79337 - in reply to #79286)

do you have the owners manual? I believe it may indicate what the issue is. Is it a steady tone and about how long does it sound?
Black Max
Posted 3/24/2009 8:57 AM (#79353 - in reply to #79286)

The alarm goes off for several reasons High Temp Water in the fuel filter or lack of lube...even though the oil res is full you need to check the output of the oil pump. Some of the EFI motors had a plastic gear on the crankshaft to run the oil pump if you think this maybe the problem don't run motor with out premixing your fuel as you are not gettting any oil pumped into the fuel mixture.
stacker
Posted 3/24/2009 10:11 AM (#79356 - in reply to #79286)

My suggestion would be to take it to a certified mechanic. It sounds like an impeller problem, but that is only a guess.

Just an FYI, there are no sensors that will sound an alarm if there is no oil getting to the motor because of the oil pump drive gear. The sensors will only tell if there is oil in the reservoirs. The over heat will not tell whether water is getting pumped in to the engine or not, but it will tell you if the engine block is getting to hot.

Edited by stacker 3/24/2009 10:13 AM
Black Max
Posted 3/24/2009 5:48 PM (#79382 - in reply to #79286)

Just an FYI, there are no sensors that will sound an alarm if there is no oil getting to the motor because of the oil pump drive gear. The sensors will only tell if there is oil in the reservoirs. The over heat will not tell whether water is getting pumped in to the engine or not, but it will tell you if the engine block is getting to hot.

Stacker you might want to check with a Mechanic or look in the Repair manual to see what the sensor attached to the block directly above the oil injection pump is for, the harness has a black wire a white wire and a blue with white tracer wire according to the manual this is a magnetic pickup to sense the rotation of the oil pump drive shaft. If the oil pump drive shaft isn't turning it will give an steady high pitch beep when the motor is running irregardless if the motor is hot or cold pumping water or not. The Repair manual also gives a spec for oil pump output in CC of oil for a given amount of time at a set RPM.
Shep
Posted 3/25/2009 9:12 AM (#79409 - in reply to #79382)

But just because the drive gear is turning, doesn't mean the oil is pumping. If the feed is plugged would be one instance.

I see what you're saying though. Is that what causes the beep before you crank the motor? Does the manual have a procedure to measure the output of the pump? Is it adjustable?
Black Max
Posted 3/25/2009 11:50 AM (#79416 - in reply to #79409)

I am not sure if the shaft sensor is the one that causes the beep as all sensors are routed thru a controller box which is the alarm system. I know from tracing the wires the oil pump shaft sensor, the oil res sensors, the water sensor in the bottom of the fuel filter and the over heat sensors all go to the controller...

Yes the manual gives a spec for testing output of the oil pump out put it is in cc for a given time at a set rpm I don't have the manual in front of me to look it up. Yes the output of the pump is adjustable. the throttle linkage hooks to a barrel valve on the oil pump, the linkage has a threaded rod and can be adjusted to meet the spec given in the oil output test.
stacker
Posted 3/28/2009 1:08 PM (#79545 - in reply to #79416)

Black Max, Better wording needed. No sensor will tell you whether or not there is oil getting in the motor or not.
FISHTRAP
Posted 3/28/2009 1:19 PM (#79546 - in reply to #79286)

It was the impeller,it was wore pretty good would not pull enough water at slow speed.
Horshak
Posted 3/28/2009 3:18 PM (#79551 - in reply to #79286)

Do I get a prize for guessing the impeller? Just got done loading the boat up with some equipment and having a drink while sitting in the drivers seat and making engine noises! Love the sound of that Opti!
FISHTRAP
Posted 3/28/2009 6:32 PM (#79559 - in reply to #79286)

YEP,you just won a slightly used impeller.
RJS
Posted 3/28/2009 7:59 PM (#79565 - in reply to #79286)

Hey Fishtrap, you not only got your alarm to stop by changing out your impeller, you also got the hard water spots off your boat to. Next time we will bring more beer over.
Shep
Posted 3/29/2009 11:18 AM (#79578 - in reply to #79565)

Bring some over here! I want my boat cleaned of the winter dust!

Glad you ended up with a relatively simple fix with the impellor.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)