Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Tragedy on Winnebago

Message Subject: Tragedy on Winnebago
jerry
Posted 1/25/2015 7:46 PM (#112848)
Subject: Tragedy on Winnebago

A terrible day for a family today, as a father and his 8 year old son went through in a vehicle on Winnebago. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

I hear people use the term "safe ice" in reference to when ice builds to a certain thickness. At that point people begin to drive vehicles on the ice. I am not sure exactly what that ice thickness is, having myself been involved a number of years ago with having a vehicle go through "safe ice'. I learned my lesson and use my ATV to access the ice if I go out. To my friends and others who frequent this board I ask you to use good judgement when dealing with ice fishing. No fish is worth a tragedy similar to what happened today.

There is no such thing as "safe ice", only ice that's good enough to support one's weight, along with their equipment. Please use caution when ice fishing and accessing the ice.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Darboy
Posted 1/26/2015 8:39 AM (#112849 - in reply to #112848)
Subject: Re: Tragedy on Winnebago

Very sorry to hear this, my prayers to the family and the rescue folks as well. I'm sure that was not an enjoyable call to have to go on yesterday.
walleye express
Posted 1/26/2015 9:09 AM (#112850 - in reply to #112848)
Subject: Re: Tragedy on Winnebago

A member of my fishing board put his machine down in 17 FOW on Saginaw Bay yesterday as well. He got out using his ice picks and is fine today. He's out in an air boat trying to recover his equipment right now. But a lot different story when boxed and trapped in a cab of a vehicle. I don't even want to think of the mental horror as the cab fills with water. Never make your own trail on the ice of possible.

Edited by walleye express 1/26/2015 9:13 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)