Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> White Bass recipe

Message Subject: White Bass recipe
Purple Skeeter
Posted 5/30/2015 6:41 PM (#113242)
Subject: White Bass recipe

I took the advice of a client and kept 25 Whitebass this week.  I've smoked plenty of them in my smoker, but NEVER attempted to fry them like a Walleye.  To clean them, I took only the upper part of the filet above the mudline (pretty simply)and then soaked them in a little Lemon water over night.  Well.... tonight I cooked them for my family and neighbors and they were.... Excellent.  Great taste, firm meat and no one could tell the difference.  I cooked one Walleye for myself to make sure before I tried this experiment on my friends and family.  If you have not tried this, do so, I've been cursing and throwing these back for the past 40 years, but no more.  I'll keep every one I catch... they were that good!

Dominic

Top of the page Bottom of the page
walleye express
Posted 5/30/2015 8:28 PM (#113243 - in reply to #113242)
Subject: RE: White Bass recipe

I've been a member of the White Bass Tenderloin Club for years. I clean mine with the help of a box cutter. Use it to cut through the scales and to the bone, right down their well marked lateral line. Then fillet off from the dorsal finn to that cut and de-skin the fillet. Fast and efficient. A 6 hour soak in the frig, in a light iodized salt water bath to firm them up and fry to your liking. Like you said, delicious.

Edited by walleye express 5/30/2015 8:31 PM
FishnFool
Posted 5/31/2015 9:43 AM (#113245 - in reply to #113242)

Dom take the smoked white bass and and use the recipe to make tuna salad only use the white bass its to die for
BeFishin
Posted 6/3/2015 8:26 AM (#113256 - in reply to #113245)

I agree - it seems no matter what those WB always bite. The only thing I would add is bleed those WB out, otherwise they are a bloody mess to clean!
Shep
Posted 6/4/2015 1:58 PM (#113258 - in reply to #113256)

Spring White Bass are really quite tasty.

Simple recipe:

Bleed them and put on ice immediately.
Scale the fish.
Cut off the head, slice the belly to gut, and remove the tail and pectoral fins.
Make a cut along either side of the dorsal fin down to the back bone, and remove fin.
wash cleaned fish, and pat dry.

Season flour with salt and pepper to taste. Dredge fish in flour, and add to frying pan with melted butter and olive oil to prevent the butter from burning.

Fry on first side until you see the meat curl from the backbone. flip and repeat on other side. When that side curls away from the backbone, it's done. Do not over cook.

Pull the flesh off the skeleton with your fork, and have two nice pieces before you dig in!

Serve with tartar, or lemon, and cole slaw.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)