Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

[Frozen]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> Walleye Boats and Motors -> Tracker Tundra 21 DC vs Ranger 620vs

Frozen
Message Subject: Tracker Tundra 21 DC vs Ranger 620vs
guest 3
Posted 3/14/2009 12:00 AM (#78952 - in reply to #78599)
Subject: RE: Tracker Tundra 21 DC vs Ranger 620vs

What makes for a rough ride? Falling off of one wave and slamming into the next. How do you make the ride better? Increase the length of the boat so that you are well into the second wave before you come off of the first one. Some hulls are designed to keep the bow down and allow the boat to reach a bit further into the next wave, thus making the ride a bit softer. This design typically will also slow the boat down somewhat and increase the chance of "spearing" a wave.

My 2 cents.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
greenacres
Posted 3/17/2009 10:41 PM (#79106 - in reply to #78599)

I've owned both! Save yourself some misery and get the Ranger. Boat control should be high on your priority list when buying a boat and Ranger is hands down the best at that.
orchard frank
Posted 3/20/2009 10:29 AM (#79233 - in reply to #78599)

I would agree with those who suggested riding and spending some time in both. I have ran a 2003 21' Tundra for 5 seasons on Bays de Noc, Northern Lake Michigan, and Lake Superior averaging 80 or more days a year, walleye and salmon. Zero problems with the boat, the 2004 200 Opti, or the 15 hp 4 st. Merc. Nothing against Ranger, great boats, I've fished out of them many times. Not trying to influence your choice. There were some people who had some problems with some of the Tundras, primarily 2004/2005 models which had some structural changes to accomodate a larger gas tank. The top guide on Bay de Noc ran a 2003 for many years without trouble. Very happy with my choice, would not hesitate to buy a new one, which, as stated, have had some improvements. Soft ride, room, dryness, fishability all seem very good to me. Lot's of good choices out there besides these two, Skeeter, Yar-Craft, Lund, Triton etc. Major investment, look them all over. Good Luck
stacker
Posted 3/20/2009 11:03 AM (#79235 - in reply to #78921)

Wisconsin Wade - 3/13/2009 11:15 AM

Before you sell your 1860 Angler, what is your background with Walleye Boats? Your question would suggest that you haven't been in many 20' boats, if you have, disregard the rest of my post. You also state that you experienced the rough ride on Tournament Day, IMHO just because it is tournament day doesn't mean it is WOT Day, that line of thinking is why I won't sign up as a co-angler...I don't want some cowboy driving me around at WOT in less than ideal conditions because they feel they HAVE to get there. What did you have prior to the Angler? Have you been in any 20' boats? If so, what types of conditions? For instance if we take the following quote from Stacker.."I would suggest if you are looking at 20fters to ride more than 1. The first one will be tons better than the boat you have today. Look at the tuffy 2060 and what it has to offer for as how you fish, you may be pleasantly surprised. "
First let me say that I have have an 1860 Angler, Let me also say that in my experience a 20' boat will handle/ride better than an 18'er...BUT, tons better!?! I am not sure how to quantify "tons" better, I think it is misleading. But I don't think that "tons" better is going to give you the right picture of what these boats are capable of handling. If your 1860 was giving you a rough ride in 2+ footers, don't assume WOT is possible in the 20'er in 3' foot seas, Because to me, tons better would mean that I could go WOT in 4' seas. In my experience the Captain will make the biggest difference in regards to the boats handling as will wave direction, travel direction, etc.
I fished 2 League events on Green Bay last year in some choppy conditions...I don't think I am over estimating if I say the waves avg. at least 2-3' for each event, maybe a bit more for the 1st event. NOw while I often feel at a disadvantage regarding my fishing skillsLOL, I never felt at a disadvantage because I was running an 18'er and many others were running 20'ers. Good Luck with your search and decision.

With all due respect wade, I have been on the great lakes since I grew up on saginaw bay and now live on bago and green bay. I have 1000's of hours behind a wheel. a 18" boat will in no way shape or form perform as a 20fter will. Just cause you go wot in 2fters with a 18 and its rough, match the 20 in the same conditions and it will be smooth. in most cases. 3fters beat the 18 up the 20 is still less than what the 18 gets in 2fters. 4ft and its damn near imposible for a 18 to go very far, period. a 20, now thats where different brands will vary. THATS WHY HE NEEDS TO RIDE THEM. Believe it or not. By the way, I get to say how big the waves are that we are riding in so we know that they are 2-3- or 4fters.
Terry
Posted 3/20/2009 5:28 PM (#79244 - in reply to #78599)

You should look at LUND. I live on Lake Erie and that lake sells only ONE boat LUND!!!!!!!!!!
ranger #1
Posted 3/24/2009 7:30 PM (#79387 - in reply to #78626)
Subject: Re: Tracker Tundra 21 DC vs Ranger 620vs

ok maybe not cheaply made just not made to the same quality as a Ranger just my opinion, like a few of the other guys have said ride in a few different boats until you like one, everyone is different.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)