Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Destinations and Fishing Reports -> Tuffy Boats -> Thru hull transducers

Message Subject: Thru hull transducers
Lunker_1
Posted 5/16/2010 7:37 PM (#91084)
Subject: Thru hull transducers

I just purchased a barely used Humminbird 937c and I need to get a transducer for it. I went to Humminbird's website and checked out their thru hull transducer. I've read here on a couple threads in the past that some guys use the thru hull transducer. Has anyone had problems with them? Do they work well thru the hull of an 1890? Any other pro's of con's of that style of transducer?

Thanks.

Jeff
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lambeau
Posted 5/17/2010 8:04 AM (#91096 - in reply to #91084)
Subject: RE: Thru hull transducers

i've run them on an 1890 and a couple X-190s with very good results. clean, crisp returns at all speeds.

be sure to get a "shoot through the hull" transducer and not a "through hull" transducer. they're veeerrrry different, in that the latter is the kind where you put a hole in the bottom of the boat!

you want the XP 9 20
http://store.humminbird.com/products/313995?product_id=aad5d0add8ec...

or XP 9 20 T (has temp gauge).
http://store.humminbird.com/products/313994?product_id=8ca87a13d95d...

they're very easy to install, and come with the epoxy that you need. just mix it up, squeeze it onto the bottom of the puck, and press the puck into place. i did mine yesterday and it took less than 5 minutes.

just be sure that you get it all the way back in the lowest part of the bilge - if you feel around you'll notice a small sump area right in the center back that's 1/2" lower than the area around it - this is where you want to mount it because it's the thinnest portion of the floor so your signal can read through it cleanly.

i'll try and take a picture of mine tonight if i can get a good angle at it with the camera.
lambeau
Posted 5/17/2010 9:46 PM (#91141 - in reply to #91084)

here's a pic, you can see the slight drop down into the sump at the far back of the bilge...that's where you want to be with the transducer. if you're up above that lip you won't get a clear signal, if you're in that sump it's crystal clear.

other pics are of the external side imaging transducer.

Edited by lambeau 5/17/2010 9:50 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(10-05-17 005.JPG)

(10-05-17 010.JPG)

(10-05-17 008.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 10-05-17 005.JPG (166KB - 245 downloads)
Attachments 10-05-17 010.JPG (199KB - 249 downloads)
Attachments 10-05-17 008.JPG (124KB - 220 downloads)
Lunker_1
Posted 5/18/2010 10:22 AM (#91155 - in reply to #91141)

Thanks for the pics Mike. I ordered the transducer yesterday so hopefully I'll be able to get it hooked up this weekend.

Jeff
PJV
Posted 5/18/2010 5:56 PM (#91202 - in reply to #91084)
Subject: Re: Thru hull transducers

Lambeau,

If I decide to go that route, is that area of the bilge accessed through the floor panel at the back of the cockpit, or the hatch covers in the splash well?

Pete
Lunker_1
Posted 5/18/2010 8:19 PM (#91211 - in reply to #91202)
Subject: Re: Thru hull transducers

Pete beat me to the next question.

Easier to set the puck in place through the splashwell access holes or the bilge/aerator access panel? Looks to be a stretch either way and I have short arms. Or is it my girth that gets in the way? hmm

I see the area where it'll be set. Mike, is there a particular spot in that area that works better? Closer to the drain plug or closer to front (livewell side) or does it even matter just as long as it's centered in that lowered area?

Jeff
lambeau
Posted 5/19/2010 8:28 AM (#91225 - in reply to #91084)

i've never been particular about where i put the transducer, as long as it's down in that sump. those transducers will only get a good image if they're shooting through single-thickness hull, so that's why they need to go down in there. i'm not real worried about it being exactly on the center line or anything, and the direction the transducer faces isn't important on the XP 9 20, since the sonar shoots down in a cone shape anyways. (there are some other transducers that are directional.)

i use both the access panel in the floor and the hatch covers in the splash well. test place the transducer without epoxy first, trying it from either access point and see what one works best for you. the easiest way to do it would be to remove the rear deck extension as this would make access through the floor panel the easiest. i ended up going through the access hatches in back this time and shining light through the floor panel.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)